Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Just finished the quite dope Murder is My Business, thanks for the recommendation. I feel about Hard Case the way I did about Black Lizard 20 years ago, always worthwhile. And I can read it on Kindle without showing the awesomely lurid covers.

As DrVenkman noted, Max Allan Collins is excellent and really anything from Lawrence Block is worthwhile, although I'll, add Mickey Spillane to the mix. And while I can believe that Dick Aleas is indeed a pseudonym, good for him, and I owe the dude a beer.

I read the Commando 2 screenplay, although the one I found way by DeSousa, is there one by Westlake?

And on topic, I remember reading a Black Lizard back in the day that still haunts me, but I can't remember much about it, including title or author, but it had some great writing. I think it was a period reprint rather than a new novel, and it was incredibly bleak. For some reason there were these gangsters stuck in the basement of a larger building, and one after another they ended up murdered by one another and thrown in the furnace. Anybody have any idea?

Remulak fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If you haven't ready EVERYTHING by Jim Thompson then you're missing out, similarly Ellroy, although his peak readability happened with the L.A. Quartet.

If you dig 20th century US history, Ellroy is amazing, as he ties together threads that I didn't see connected, especially in American Tabloid &etc. There have been several things that happened in his books that I assumed were fictional, but I later learned were not.

Edit - also Barry Gifford's always great. Sailor and Lulu books are all worthwhile.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 12, 2016

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
American Tabloid is his peak. Blew my mind about what could be done in the form.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Powaqoatse posted:

Speaking of off-template hardboiled, I really liked Mieville's The City &The City and Chabon 's Yiddish Policemens Union.
Endorsed, both great. Don't read about The City... in advance.

After re-reading The Grifters, I want remind people in this thread how loving amazing Jim Thomson was, is, and ever shall be.

• Locked thread