Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any detective series with supernatural elements ? More Gabriel Knight and less Harry Dresden. Urban Fantasy normally has little mystery and way too much spell battles

Check out the Markus Novak novels from Michael Koryta: Last Words and Rise the Dark.

These have some hints and allusions to supernatural for sure, but it's 90-95% gritty detective fiction. Koryta isn't afraid to embrace the supernatural stuff (see So Cold the River and The Cypress House) but those are one-off stories heavy into the noir side of things but not really private eye type stuff. The Markus Novak books however definitely set up a larger story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

rocket_man38 posted:

I can't stop reading Charlie Huston. Im on book 3 of the "Joe Pitt Casebooks" and putting off my backlog of Chandler, Hammet, etc. He is just too fun. I can't believe they didn't make this into a tv series or something? Sad to hear there is only 5 books though.

Have you read his Henry Thompson trilogy? They probably fall into the "gritty noir" side of things, but they are still good for bleak gritty crime novels.

The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death is pretty good as well. Both the Thompson trilogy and the last one fall into real world and avoid the supernatural stuff going on with Pitt. Still fun reads though.

I like Huston's stuff for the most part and hope he's still writing. Dude hasn't released anything in 4 years.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Ben Nevis posted:

Caught Stealing from the Henry Thompson stuff has been optioned for a movie, though there's not too much info, so who knows. I'm not sure what they'd do with Pitt.

The characters and setting of the Pitt books would suffer with a 2 hour movie in my opinion, but Netflix (or something comparable) would be a perfect home for that series. One book per season?

• Locked thread