Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
(couldn't find the old MWO thread or any other so I created this piece of poo poo OP)

MechWarrior Online is a F2P (using that term loosely) game released by Piranha Games Inc (hereafter known as PGI). They are best known for titles such as Bass Pro Shops: The Strike, the multiplayer component of DNF, and this gem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l037XgQpvE4.

Also they promised some reward thing which they never delivered. This was the Officially Response from PGI:

Anywho, It's first-person mech combat simulation game based on the BattleTech franchise, which is basically giant robots of various sizes (almost always several stories minimum) piloted by humans. Here's the most popular and recognizable mech:

The Timberwolf

And here's what a typical game might look like when you play:

This game was pretty popular back in 2012/2013 with a heavy goon presence during the open beta. Unfortunately the game has seen some pretty unpopular changes, such as:

• 3rd person view (provides an advantage so you might feel the need to play in this view at least some of the time, in a game that is historically done in 1st person)
  • Major cash grabbing: $50 pricetags on clan mechs which are generally superior in all ways to inner sphere mechs, majorly nerfed in game currency acquisition requiring grinding, and $500 gold mechs. Yes that's five-hundred dollars. Fortunately it's common practice to teamkill anyone who actually has one. Viva le revolution!
  • 8v8 was changed to 12v12, but many of the small maps were designed for 8v8, which causes them to be absolute poo poo-shows with 12 players
  • UI 2.0 - remember the totally fine and usable UI back in the beta? No more! It was replaced with a cluttered UI that has really small text. Lots of people bitch about it.

Yes, that's right, there are really awesome-and-popular clan mechs which are inherantly better due to their weapons being lighter/more efficient/longer range/etc. They are going to release the clan mechs slowly for c-bills but they really wanted to milk those fans with income to spare.

Yeah, you get 3 variants for that $50, but so what - you can't get a single variant of a Timberwolf or Summoner without dropping $50.

But that said, the game is pretty fun. You can customize your mech loadout by choosing different weapons, engine types, armor allocations, ammo, jump jets and more. There is a 'competitive scene' where only a handful of mechs and their builds are used, but the meta shifts, and in solo-queue you can play pretty much anything as long as it's a workable build.

There are over 35 Mechs to choose from of 4 different weightclasses, each having multiple variants, - including 'Hero mechs' which are $$$ only, but come with an income generation bonus. In general they are not strictly better than the other variants, because they have the same tonnage limitations, but they're usually pretty good.

Mechs and their variants are differentiated by something called hardpoints. Hardpoints are where specific weapon types can be mounted on your mech. The standard Hunchback 4G, for example, looks like this:

That huge cannon on its right torso is a ballistic hardpoint where a machine gun/autocanon/LBX can be mounted - in this variant it's usually an AC/20 which is the hardest hitting autocannon in the game, but it weighs a loving ton (multiple tons actually).

The arms have a couple of energy hardpoints as well as the head and torso, so you're able to mount lasers there. What you can't mount on this mech is any missile weapons such as LRMs (long range missiles) or SRMS (short range missiles) - but you can mount those weapons on other variants of the Hunchback such as the 4J variant:

So all that said, let's go over the types of mechs:

Assault Mechs

These are your bread and butter 'I want to have fun' mechs. They're slow as hell, but they have a ton of armor, weigh the most (so you can pack more weapons in), and in generally are played by scrubadubs who suck at the game and are inferior to the master race of light mech pilots

Atlas

Legendary 100 ton mech. Has an ECM variant (Electronic Counter Measures) which allows your team to be 'stealthed' (preventing lock-on and targetting.

Awesome

Anything but awesome. This guy was pretty good in beta but his massive torso hitbox makes him an inferior choice to some of the other heavies. Not used often. He's only 80 tons.

Banshee

I don't know much about this guy. He's fairly new, but popular.

Battlemaster

Another big guy that nobody really cares about. Looks an awful lot like some of the other heavies and mediums, so you might be tempted to fight him head on. Don't do that, you'll get blown up.

Highlander

Another weird mech I've never heard of because I don't play TT. But he does have jump jets, so there's that.

Stalker

Popular boat mech. 'Boat' being a term used when someone hyper specializes a mech to one role - 16 lasers for a huge alpha strike on someone's torso, 6 LRMs to lame someone out like the jerkface loser that you are, etc.

Victor

Another 80 ton weirdo that some people play but I don't know why because he looks so generic and not cool.

Heavy Mechs

These are lighter in weight than the assault mechs, but move a bit faster while still carrying a lot of firepower. They may not be 'assault class' but they're still really nasty.

Cataphract

Does this look cool to you? It should. He's a cool mech. Lots of firepower, and one of the originals from beta. You really can't go wrong with a Cataphract.

Catapult

Iconic long range LRM mech. Has multiple variants that swap out missile hardpoints for ballistics (gauss, autocanons, etc) or even two big PPC energy weapons.

Great mech but it's usually played by stupid noobs who hide in the back of the battle trying to LRM boat and then whine when the team loses.

Dragon

Another solid heavy, although some people don't like him because he's an asymmetrical mech. Those people are idiots.

Jagermech

Do you like being a long range douchebag with high mounted weapons so you can peek over ridges and shoot people before going back down? Pick this mech. Then kill yourself pls.

Orion

He looks cool.

Quickdraw

I don't even know. Sounds dumb to me.

Thunderbolt

Really hulky Summoner-type mech. Yes that's an LRM launcher on his shoulder, just in case you wanted to be a normal brawler mech but also lame people out with LRM spam.

Medium Mechs

Honestly, I'm not sure what the purpose of these guys are. They're faster than the heavier mechs, but they're not fast enough to be tricksey like the Light Mechs. They do a pretty good job of taking on Light Mechs, though, because they can keep up with them a lot more easily but also outgun them.

But honestly, play these if you like a challenge, because the game modes right now are mostly about the heavies shooting eachother while the Mediums and Lights try to pick up the scraps without being blown up.

Hunchback

Classic, but really vulnerable because people aim for your hunch. Not too popular these days since there are better mediums out there.

Cicada

Really fast medium - kind of a hybrid light/medium, with all the weaknesses.

Centurion

Ol' reliable. Really solid medium mech, was featured heavily in the awful cartoon.

Blackjack

No idea.

Griffin

No idea

Kintaro

No idea

Shadow Hawk

Hunchback++ Very strong Medium ,very popular in the meta.

Trebuchet

A medium version of the catapult, kinda.

Wolverine

No idea

Light Mechs

Like a challenge? Like styling all over your opponents? Pick a light mech. Very fast, very light armor, not a lot of tonnage for weapons. These guys live and die by their speed - if you try to brawl like a heavier mech in one you'll just get blown up - people love to target light mechs for easy kills.

Jenner

One of the most popular lights. Fast, good hitbox - although the center torso is quite prominent and thus vulnerable. Can equip ECM for support.

Firestarter

My personal light mech of choice. Good loadout options, good speed, but it can't equip ECM so you won't have the best support option available to you ever in this mech.

Most variants have Flamers but Flamers are garbage and should be removed and replaced with useful weapons.

Commando

The metal baby.

Spider

Annoying uber small mech. Funky hitboxes. Very low tonnage.

Locust

Generally considered garbage. Some people try to make it work.

Raven

Can equip ECM. Asymmetrical mech. You might have used one for a little bit in Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, assuming you're not some 22 year old baby in which case just exit the thread pls.

If this doesn't give you a boner, you're probably not a huge fat nerd, but you should play this game anyway.

Resources

Fair warning from another poster:

JacksLibido posted:

I still sometimes play this game, as far as I know its still the best giant stompy robot game, and so long as you aren't really invested in MechWarrior and the traditional MechWarrior gameplay its still actually really fun. That being said, I'd recommend anybody coming back or starting out to not drop a single dollar on the game as it gets old doing nothing but DM over and over.

Goons playing

AllSystemsNominal

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Take heed and bear witness to the truths that lie herein, for they are the legacy of the lies of the PGI

MATCH 47
1. [91940-91970]
MATCH 48
1. [97730-97760]
MATCH 49
1. [99163-99193]
MATCH 50
1. [99576-99606]
MATCH 51
1. [118476-118506]
MATCH 52
1. [118814-118844]
MATCH 53
1. [119134-119164]
MATCH 54
1. [119378-119408]
MATCH 55
1. [123172-123202]
MATCH 56
1. [131636-131666]
MATCH 57
1. [131667-131697]
MATCH 58
1. [131698-131728]
MATCH 59
1. [131729-131759]
MATCH 60
1. [131760-131790]
MATCH 61
1. [134833-134863]
MATCH 62
1. [135247-135277]
MATCH 63
1. [143324-143354]
MATCH 64
1. [143355-143385]
MATCH 65
1. [153660-153690]
MATCH 66
1. [153691-153721]
MATCH 67
1. [162091-162121]
MATCH 68
1. [162122-162152]
MATCH 69
1. [169956-169986]
MATCH 70
1. [169987-170017]
MATCH 71
1. [178928-178958]
MATCH 72
1. [178959-178989]
MATCH 73
1. [189173-189203]
MATCH 74
1. [201191-201221]
MATCH 75
1. [201222-201252]
MATCH 76
1. [204093-204124]
MATCH 77
1. [204125-204156]
MATCH 78
1. [209158-209188]
MATCH 79
1. [209189-209219]
MATCH 80
1. [210066-210096]
MATCH 81
1. [210097-210127]
MATCH 82
1. [212050-212080]
MATCH 83
1. [216555-216585]
MATCH 84
1. [218091-218121]
MATCH 85
1. [226113-226143]
MATCH 86
1. [226512-226542]
MATCH 87
1. [232703-232733]
MATCH 88
1. [232734-232764]
MATCH 89
1. [232765-232795]
MATCH 90
1. [241461-241491]
MATCH 91

The game is pretty fun guys I swear :(

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 25, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
You created a poo poo OP for an even shittier game so I guess it all works out. :shrug:

Fair warning you probably won't get much traction. Not being a dick, I just think most people who were interested have already burned out. :smith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 23, 2014

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Orv posted:

You created a poo poo OP for an even shittier game so I guess it all works out. :shrug:

Fair warning you probably won't get much traction. Not being a dick, I just think most people who were interested have already burned out. :smith:
Yea, PGI poisoned the well so heavily with their repeated awful decisions. I didn't know anyone still played this game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't this supposed to be set in the 3020s? Throwing clan mechs in struck me not only as a terrible idea, but also rather anachronistic.

Oh, and you forgot to mention ghost heat. Dunno if it's still in, but it was funny as gently caress to read about.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Wasn't this supposed to be set in the 3020s? Throwing clan mechs in struck me not only as a terrible idea, but also rather anachronistic.

Oh, and you forgot to mention ghost heat. Dunno if it's still in, but it was funny as gently caress to read about.
They moved the date up to 3048 during development in order to allow for more IS tech variety and clan tech. Ghost heat is/was one of the worst concepted and executed 'balance' attempts ever. I don't know if it's still in either because gently caress if I'm every paying attention to this game again.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Here's the best advice I have to give about playing MWO: Don't do it.

Edit: Oh my goodness out of morbin curiousity I clicked the Official Site link. That splash page. Incredible. If PGI is one thing, it's reliable.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2014

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

AttackBacon posted:

Here's the best advice I have to give about playing MWO: Don't do it.

Edit: Oh my goodness out of morbin curiousity I clicked the Official Site link. That splash page. Incredible. If PGI is one thing, it's reliable.

I will update more later it actually took me a bit of effort to create that lovely OP I am sorry :(

But I am playing this game because ugh I love MechWarrior and it's still fun and I have disposable income.

There are tons of poo poo games with threads so at least this will exist to be searched if people are so inclined!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All you need to know:

Gameplay has consistently gotten worse since closed beta.

The interface has gotten worse since closed beta. You still need to use external sites.

CW still isn't happening and when it does it's bound to suck.

PGI are still lying sacks of poo poo.

Stupid poo poo like Ghost Heat remains stupid, undocumented, and with no UI.

My unit dropped the game as a serious experience and last time I tried to load it to play casually it literally crashed my modem upon connection. I've never, ever had a game do that before. I had to physically reboot it. Probably tied to some recent issues I've had, but still pretty hilarious.

Here's hoping that PGI dies sometime so the license gets back on the market someday. It deserves better.

EDIT: Any goons skimming this thread, here's two recent examples of Paul's game balancing logic - like from the last 60 days:

- He nerfed the AC/2 to "normalize it." Yes, the AC/2 is exactly as poo poo as you remember. In fact it's FAR worse than you remember before this nerf, if you quit before Ghost Heat.
- He nerfed the IS Streak/2 (completely ruining any use for it) to once again "normalize" it with the Clan Streaks, making it entirely noncompetitive.

This is the same logic that had him murder the LPL once upon a time. Probably won't mean much to most of you but if you quit back when most of the goons quit and are scimming this thread, that should make you groan and realize PGI is still a chicken with it's head cut off.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 24, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just in case anyone is wondering this game is real loving poo poo and you shouldn't play it.

I'm also I'm pretty sure the OP was an honest to goodness SimCity 2013 defender. Should tell you everything you need to know.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Just in case anyone is wondering this game is real loving poo poo and you shouldn't play it.

Here's the thing: The core game is good. Really good. Why? Because it's lifted (possibly LITERALLY lifted given that MW:LL handed in it's Crytek code to PGI at the start of this) from past games in a rather well regarded series. A lot of it's concepts were stolen from the free, fan made Living Legends, which was a mechlab and non-Crysis mod away from greatness.

The problem is since closed beta, PGI has fixed one thing, and broken three others. Consistently. For years. The game has literally gotten worse in every single regard since closed beta other than there being more maps (like.. 3 more) and more mechs. Since that's the only thing they've bothered to do.

PGI is either entirely inactive not making changes to the game, or utterly wrecking what made it good in the first place. Thus it's fun at first probably if you jump in but it's quickly stale, with all modes boiling down to TDM, no faction identity, no meta progress, and not even a big community anymore.

ED: Many goons took a stand over Ghost Heat as the bridge too far, and as a sign of things to come. I remember you guys put up a good fight with #savemwo, but PGI looked right into the eyes of reason and spat in it's face. So here we are. Things indeed got worse as predicted, and it's kind of sad, because they had something with real potential here and they blew it. Minimal effort from a smarter developer could have turned this into both an awesome game, and a cash cow.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 24, 2014

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

I mean ghost heat is lame but they did it for a pretty understandable reason. It's just not a very good solution to the problem they were trying to solve.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
This game is bad.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I played this game briefly before ghost heat. Can someone explain it to me?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Tracula posted:

I played this game briefly before ghost heat. Can someone explain it to me?

If you fire certain types of weapons together they have a multiplier applied to the amount of heat they generate. This multiplier kicks in depending on how closely you fire each type of weapon, to the point where firing the same weapons at a slightly different rate may not have the penalty applied. I believe at one point even firing a single AC/2 fast enough would trigger ghost heat to kick in. There is no documentation or indication in game as to what weapons do this or when or why they do. You fire the wrong things and suddenly generate twice or three times the heat the in game tools told you to expect. This was brought in to try and nerf people loading up on PPCs and large lasers and jump sniping people because crafting a completely new and hidden method of generating heat is so much easier than changing some values in a sheet.

e: Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKqe1_MK_O4

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 24, 2014

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

adamantium|wang posted:

If you fire certain types of weapons together they have a multiplier applied to the amount of heat they generate. This multiplier kicks in depending on how closely you fire each type of weapon, to the point where firing the same weapons at a slightly different rate may not have the penalty applied. I believe at one point even firing a single AC/2 fast enough would trigger ghost heat to kick in on. There is no documentation or indication in game as to what weapons do this or when or why they do. You fire the wrong things and suddenly generate twice or three times the heat the in game tools told you to expect. This was brought in to try and nerf people loading up on PPCs and large lasers and jump sniping people because crafting a completely new and hidden method of generating heat is so much easier than changing some values in a sheet.

It was brought in to nerf poptarting which is when people hide behind ridges and jump jet up to take an alpha strike (all weapons at once) shot and then pop back down.

There is a warning in the Mechlab when you hit a certain amount of weapons (lasers, at least) that you will generate more heat than normal if you fire more than 6.

You can play around it by putting those lasers in different weapon groups (3 in one, 4 in another, w/e) and shooting them like that one after another.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Should I just play Hawken instead?

Also what are the 'good' mech warrior games? I played Mech Assault 1/2 and an RTS one and uh.. Mech Warrior 3 on a demo disc as a kid and they were cool.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

You know I was actually wondering whatever happened to this tire fire recently. Glad to see that massive strides have been taken to bolster its reputation.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cowcaster posted:

You know I was actually wondering whatever happened to this tire fire recently. Glad to see that massive strides have been taken to bolster its reputation.

Cowcaster, once you stood up and did the right thing for the Mechwarrior Online thread.

Show us that you are still the mod you once were. You know what to do.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Should I just play Hawken instead?

Also what are the 'good' mech warrior games? I played Mech Assault 1/2 and an RTS one and uh.. Mech Warrior 3 on a demo disc as a kid and they were cool.

This game is fun.

Yes PGI are greedy as gently caress and it's a game for older dudes who love Battletech and have some disposable income to throw around, but it's not impossible to play F2P either.

It's totally worth checking out and then reporting if you think its poo poo or not. It would be nice to have a good MW game that has a campaign and all that but the goons here are inflating how much of a turd it is.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

Cowcaster, once you stood up and did the right thing for the Mechwarrior Online thread.

Next time there's a mod secret Santa and GBS 2.0 is a thing I'll oblige but in the meantime I don't see any reason why the thread can't stay here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oswald ownenstein posted:

It would be nice to have a good MW game that has a campaign and all that but the goons here are inflating how much of a turd it is.

Did goons inflate how much a turd SimCity 5 is? You defended that one too.

World class OP showing us the light that is PGI's vision.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The definite sign of a dying MMO is when the controlling company adds in tons of expensive and noncompetitive cash shop bullshit. If you ever played and liked Anarchy Online, take a look at the burning trash pile that Funcom has turned that into now. Maybe write up a will and draft a good suicide note in advance.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Did goons inflate how much a turd SimCity 5 is? You defended that one too.

World class OP showing us the light that is PGI's vision.

quote:

Holy poo poo dude :fuckoff: If you don't like the thread vote 1 and move on.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mercury_Storm posted:

The definite sign of a dying MMO is when the controlling company adds in tons of expensive and noncompetitive cash shop bullshit. If you ever played and liked Anarchy Online, take a look at the burning trash pile that Funcom has turned that into now. Maybe write up a will and draft a good suicide note in advance.

Gold plate your mechs for low low price of only five hundred real American dollars. Watch out the friendly fire though!

Did they add anymore cash shop bullshit since then? The gold plate fiasco was the last time I was in on the loop of Mechwarrior hijinks.

Holy poo poo dude :fuckoff: If you don't like the thread vote 1 and move on.

Sorry dude but if you make a habit of recommending/defending games that everyone hates you're going to get friction. SimCity 5 and MWO are basically as close as you can get to universally reviled games. Maybe you should stop being "the guy" who defends lovely games beyond reason?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I think my favorite part of googling about MWO is that Community Warfare STILL isn't released. 2 years late and counting!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

If you fire certain types of weapons together they have a multiplier applied to the amount of heat they generate. This multiplier kicks in depending on how closely you fire each type of weapon, to the point where firing the same weapons at a slightly different rate may not have the penalty applied.

While I'll admit that poptarting has been a serious design issue since Mechwarrior 2, there are multiple, canonical energy boat mech designs. Those get tossed out with the coolant flush with solutions like this.

Personally, I say gently caress hardpoints and make players stick with stock designs. Jesus, even going back to the tabletop game, it was dead simple to build an alpha-striking murder machine that would run rings around the canon mechs, because the ones in the box were meant to have flaws that you'd cope with or strategise around.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Sorry dude but if you make a habit of recommending/defending games that everyone hates you're going to get friction. SimCity 5 and MWO are basically as close as you can get to universally reviled games. Maybe you should stop being "the guy" who defends lovely games beyond reason?

You aren't some kind of knight that needs to protect goons from games. It's F2P, I addressed all the shittiness all through the OP, and people can make their own choice without you taking a big stinking dump all over the place.

koolkal posted:

I think my favorite part of googling about MWO is that Community Warfare STILL isn't released. 2 years late and counting!

Honestly I'd rather it not be released than it just be extremely lame. Which it probably will be anyway. The game REALLY needs some coop PVE goodness but I can't see their tiny team pulling that off.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

While I'll admit that poptarting has been a serious design issue since Mechwarrior 2, there are multiple, canonical energy boat mech designs. Those get tossed out with the coolant flush with solutions like this.

Personally, I say gently caress hardpoints and make players stick with stock designs. Jesus, even going back to the tabletop game, it was dead simple to build an alpha-striking murder machine that would run rings around the canon mechs, because the ones in the box were meant to have flaws that you'd cope with or strategise around.

They recently did a kinda hamfisted jumpjet nerf but it ended up hurting lights really badly because you take a bunch of leg damage off of little drops, but they thought they could deal with poptarting by diminishing the benefit of a single jump jet (.5 tons) - esp. on heavier mechs.

I think map design is the real key here - there are too many open rear end maps with ridges where they just become boring sniping bullshit. LRMs are complained about a lot because in 12v12 there's so many mechs that you have to hide behind cover or get nailed with a million LRMs.

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It was fun for a while. I jumped ship shortly before poptarts, so i don't know anything about ghost heat but even then the game was slowly slipping from position and brawl to find out where the other team is hiding.

My last games were joining pub matches and then powering down in a congested area until i died. think i hit 30-40 minutes.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cowcaster posted:

Next time there's a mod secret Santa and GBS 2.0 is a thing I'll oblige but in the meantime I don't see any reason why the thread can't stay here.

For the record I thought throwing it into GBS at peak-PGI was completely hilarious.

koolkal posted:

The best part is them revealing that they never even ever, ever put it past the design phase and had been lying about that for two+ years.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
I still sometimes play this game, as far as I know its still the best giant stompy robot game, and so long as you aren't really invested in MechWarrior and the traditional MechWarrior gameplay its still actually really fun. That being said, I'd recommend anybody coming back or starting out to not drop a single dollar on the game as it gets old doing nothing but DM over and over.

As for how the game plays now, its still worse than the glory that was beta, but it's actually gotten better. For right now the clan mechs have brought back brawling somewhat, and the backlash from all the poptarts in PGI's tournament has caused a lot of change to poptarting (something that has been a problem in every mechwarrior game since mw3).

Ghost heat was an attempt to counter pinpoint Hugh alpha builds and successful Ly pushed people away from 6xppc stalker builds, but high alpha pinpoint damage is still a problem. The current bs build went from a 6xcuac5 direwolf and is now 2xppc 2xgauss direwolfs/timber wolves.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

people can make their own choice

They already did. You claim not to not know what happened to the old thread but I'm skeptical of that.

To refresh your memory; the thread and the game were both so lovely, and it's defenders so delusional that the thread was moved to GBS and given the greenlight for poo poo posting. The thread lived out the rest of its miserable existence there and we've been MWO free ever since. "The people" of SA have already made their choice.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I remeber that I gave up on this game, than returned to buy the Cancer Jenner and quickly leave it alone again. I doubt that the promise of inbalanced, over-powered clan mechs will bring me back to this train wreck... but maybe I'll install it again on the weekend to see if the game itself is fun, my hate and disapointment with Paul/PGI has cooled off a bit in the long time in which I didn't touch the game.

One important thing that might change my mind, is ramming/collision back? Or are at least plans mentioned to bring it back?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

JacksLibido posted:

I still sometimes play this game, as far as I know its still the best giant stompy robot game, and so long as you aren't really invested in MechWarrior and the traditional MechWarrior gameplay its still actually really fun.

Hell I've been playing since MW2: 31st Century Combat and I think it's pretty drat close to whatever MW5 might end up being, gameplay wise.

I'm also going to add your comment to the OP because I think it's well stated.

Feindfeuer posted:

I remeber that I gave up on this game, than returned to buy the Cancer Jenner and quickly leave it alone again. I doubt that the promise of inbalanced, over-powered clan mechs will bring me back to this train wreck... but maybe I'll install it again on the weekend to see if the game itself is fun, my hate and disapointment with Paul/PGI has cooled off a bit in the long time in which I didn't touch the game.

One important thing that might change my mind, is ramming/collision back? Or are at least plans mentioned to bring it back?

1.) Clan mechs are OP but I definitely exaggerated how OP they are. Apparently there are some downsides to some of their weapons, albeit slight. Still, gently caress clan mechs. You will still see a dire wolf or timberwolf in every game.

2.) No collision except for light damage. No death from above either. There's some video that gets posted a lot which shows the 'stupidity' of ramming + knockdowns so they pulled it.

I hadn't played since beta when tons of goons were playing and the game was still really promising. There were only like 10 mechs back then, and then I hopped back on a few weeks ago and have been playing ever since.

They added modules that weren't there before such as Air Strike/Cooling Shot/etc. which are nifty consumables. You can get some of them for MC ($$) or just in game cash (and a pretty low amount of in game cash at that).

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I remember being excited when I got into the (early) closed beta for this and then... it just got worse and worse :(

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Ignimbrite posted:

I remember being excited when I got into the (early) closed beta for this and then... it just got worse and worse :(

Yeah. My biggest regret with this game was taking 6 months off between Oct 2012 and April 2013. Apparently I missed the golden era of the Word of Lowtax.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ignimbrite posted:

Come now, I know the game was so bad the thread got exiled to GBS in disgrace, but look! We made a new thread! Surely we wouldn't have done that if the game hadn't undergone serious improvement?

Right?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
We won't get a real mechwarrior game ever again will we.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

We won't get a real mechwarrior game ever again will we.

Well Microsoft (or whoever the gently caress) did a great thing and gave PGI the exclusive use of the Mechwarrior license until like 2018 I think?

Cross your fingers for Mechwarrior Online 2. I'm sure they'll have learned a lot by then! Maybe they'll even put community warfare in it.

• Locked thread