Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh hey, they finally made a change that actually makes sense. Module slots are now split into mech/weapon/consumable. If I play again maybe I'll consider using consumables at some point (oh no wait I wont they'll probably still cost way too much CBills for what they do.)

Also quirks for older IS mechs like Centurions have +10 armor on the shield arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the module change is kinda sensible. Granted I haven't been playing, but I like that there's specific slots so that you might be motivated to actually use weapon modules/consumables.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I like that between gauss and ppcs, there's now three stupid, not explained in game, cludgy mechanics to deal with.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well, I can kinda understand the perspective of wanting people to try it before giving feedback, I mean that sort of makes sense, give how fast people are to give knee jerk reactions of "the sky is falling" any time they see datamined changes other games like WoW.

But on the other hand, this is :pgi:. It doesn't take several hours of play to figure out stuff like "ghost heat is loving retarded" or have the opinion that doing 12v10 asymmetrical balance for lore reasons is a terrible idea in a game that already has a million other factors to balance teams on.

Seriously gently caress PGI and everyone who wants to keep that "Clans are stronger but have less mechs" bullshit.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So I am starting this back up. I got in when it first came out. Played a month or two and got bored. Now I am interested in this again. TL;DR for what I have missed?

Pretty much nothing.

A bunch of mechs and few maps were added to the game, plenty of cash-grab early-access bundles, a bunch of retarded overly-complex balancing mechanics to solve problems that simple weapon tweaks may have solved that didn't really end up working anyways. UI 2.0 finally came out and really didn't improve much. Matches got upped to 12v12 which honestly feels worse on every map that isn't Alpine (which is still a poo poo map.) LRMS swinging between "poo poo" and "OP poo poo." several times if memory serves.

Kazvall posted:

I buy mechs on looks only. Which mech is the most serviceable while being dead sexy? The nova looks faggy and I refuse to clan mech. The victory is much sweeter while piloting a piece of poo poo. This is why I use the yen-low-tee

Yen-lo-Wang is a bad/dumb mech and you should feel bad.

Have no idea what's good these days, but I have a lot of love/nostalgia for the Hunchback. Reminds me of the days where this game was fun. Also beta before engine limits.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Remember when they said UI 2.0 was just around the corner and CW was within a year, with no word about clan mechs? :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jesus, the Nova Prime is 9 Million CBills. I was tempted to check it out but gently caress farming for that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Do they actually have trial mechs for Clan Mechs? Seems like a very un-PGI thing to do.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can we report gold mech users for "Excessively communicating" the fact they're a giant tool who paid 500$ for a skin?

Also people who say "Die well" or whatever the stupid nerd clan gibberish is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kazvall posted:

I, too, thought 500 dollars only got you a gold skin. It also nets you all of the other packages they are offering. So, essentially you get every single clan mech, a gold skin, and a bunch of other bullshit like modules.

It's still loving silly to spend 500 dollars on any game.

It was just whatever the top bundle was + the gold skin(and part of me wants to think it didn't have the bundle included at first), from what I remember the top bundle was like 240$, so you're still paying something like 260$ for a loving cosmetic skin.

Like normally I can step back and agree with the notion of people spending their disposable income on whatever dumb poo poo makes them happy is totally fine. But 200+$ for a single lovely gold skin for a game that's not even that good is just dumb and completely deserving of an alpha to the back to remind them of what a lovely choice they have made.

Never not alpha strike gold mechs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm glad I did not incorrectly remember PGI's bullshit. I wonder what sort of drugs they were doing that led them to believe someone would purchase the 240$ bundle + a 500$ gold mech. I wonder if anyone did. (Someone probably loving did.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I dropped $60 on the original Founders package. :smith:

Granted, I do feel I probably got my money's worth back during the good times, but I still wish I had known what the future would be like.

I think a lot of goons did as well.

Some of us (regretfully) spent more. I still tell myself the Hero Highlander was worth it for the month or so I got to wreck people in a giant vibrant pink mech.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I want a game mode where everyone is forced into the same weight class. Solairs Light Circuit in MW4Mercs was the best poo poo ever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aren't custom matches restricted to premium-only? Or is that only the host.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Too bad its console only.

I hate that they're making it for 360/PS3 but not PC. I know why they're doing it (those consoles still have a massive install base) but still, gently caress Bungie.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Reminder that PGI added the $120 founders pack back in the day because people were demanding to be able to spend more money. RSI has just refined the cash extraction method and taken it to it's logical conclusion.

I'm still surprised people went for the 120$ founders package. Wasn't the only bonus that you got the other 3 founders mech, and no extra game cash? Like the 60$ bundle was nearly 60$ of game cash + a founders mech. I feel like you gotta be crazy to value 3 stock mechs at 60$.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I remember when I was super excited for 2013/2014 because two games that were a big part of my childhood were seeing reboots - Mechwarrior and Carmageddon.

At least I can still hope Carmageddon:Reincarnation turns out well. I didn't partake in the kickstarter and I haven't been following to closely, but it seems to be shaping up nicely and the devs actually seem to give a poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I guess that explains the datacenter move.

DiHK posted:

At first I read that :pgi: had given up the rights to IGP and would get a new developer, but I thought that was too good to be true and re-read it.

That was my first assumption too - I figured they were dumping MWO for whatever their new dumb game is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I heard it was just all chat that's disabled by default. You can turn it back on in the options.

League of Legends does the same considering all-chat is usually just trash talking.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

No problems ramming ghost heat through despite a large part of the player base hating it, no intent to repeal it because someone might like it. :pgi:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Does reddit have a stance on developer-controlled subreddits? I know the general tone of reddit is very anti-censorship.

Also I really hope they don't come close to their stupid crowdfunding goals.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PGI: A whole universe of incompetence to explore.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PGI doesn't exactly have a great track record of professionalism in general.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

If anyone can't see anything on the Transverse subreddit, try logging out first. It looks as though I've been banned from even READING it, as if I log out there's half a dozen threads there. Logged in, it's empty.

Hahaha, looks like I am too. Wonder if they went through r/mwo and banned anyone with a WoL tag.

E: Nevermind, even on a fresh reddit account I can't see anything.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 10, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hybridfusion posted:

I'm banned from the subreddit and I don't even have any reddit ties to WoL. The one post I did make was replied to by Niko agreeing with me and saying thank you. So I dunno.

I made a fresh account and still couldn't see posts on that subreddit while logged in. I think its just under general lockdown.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Valatar posted:

I hope this proves an adequate wrist-slap to convince them of the importance of dealing with their poo poo, listening to their customers, and actually finishing the game they promise. I would not even wager a pack of ketchup on that actually happening, but I still hope. They could still unfuck MWO at this point if they got their heads out of their asses, removed ghost heat, and finished implementing all of the missing features while rolling out a suitably sincere-sounding apology. Just look at the assclowns at CCP and their recovery from the station-walking flub and monoclegate in EVE. It can be done, but someone high up in the company has to finally get a clue before it'll happen.

Until then, I'm just going to heat up some popcorn and watch their pledge page update. Yep. Annnny minute now.

Unfortunately there will always be white knights like this guy who think PGI can do no wrong, and it is entirely the fault of those DASTARDLY GOONS!

Tank Boy Ken posted:

At their current rate they'll reach their first "stretch goal" in a bit under 200 days.

Kinda wondering (worrying) if we'll see it pick up or something, don't kick-starters generally see a big rush at the start, then again right at the end? I kinda hope the fact it's starting off slow is a good sign that it's not going to go much of anywhere. :allears:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Voyager I posted:

I wonder if this is nakedly a scam or if PGI is dumb enough to think anyone would ever crowdfund their pet IP when it's a piggyback on like half a dozen other space sims, their previous major project was funded only because of the brand name they acquired, and they ran it into the ground.

They're so all-around lovely that both sound plausible.

Yeah, expect 1$ Million+ from crowdfunding for a fresh IP, by a "fresh"/unknown developer seems like insanity.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

To give PGI the benefit of the doubt, isn't that pretty standard fare F2P EULA? Although it doesn't exactly inspire confidence for a crowdfund.

Voyager I posted:

No, these guys are a pretty known quantity.

I mean unknown in the context you can't tell the average person that "oh hey these are the devs that did ____" and have them go "Oh poo poo them? gently caress yes!" Big budget games usually get kickstarted by having a popular dev/name or IP behind it.

Also at 60$ a pop, they'd need around 17k backers. Does MWO even have remotely close to that playing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Voyager I posted:

Not even their own subreddit is with them :allears:

I'm half expecting them to have some secret transsquirrel program so they can puppeteer mod the subreddit or something.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I find it funny that Bryan doesn't realize a lot of the "don't support Transverse" isn't just because they haven't delivered CW yet, it's the fact that everything they have delivered has came late and their general attitude and behavior for the past two years has been pretty poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm kinda surprised they didn't do some cross promotion for Transcitizen where if you back it and link your MWO account you get some special mech/skin or some dumb poo poo so they could bait mechnerds into supporting their dumb new game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Random Number posted:

Never stop posting.

Never not post.

Never not squawk.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

When Transverse fails to get crowdfunding they said they'll just fund it through more traditional routes, rather then take the hint that no-one is interested in it.

"Traditional routes" will probably just mean we'll see a content drought on MWO for several months, then suddenly CLAN WAVE TWO, PREORDER YOUR EXCLUSIVE LIMITED TIME PLATINUM MECH FOR 500$ TODAY!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's a shame the guy who was doing the MW2 LP disappeared/lost interest before he could get around to doing Wolf campaign, or GBL or Mercs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

They probably shouldn't make one of the most desired clan mechs only available to people who spent 300$+ on preorder bundles. Or at least don't make it sound like that's the case because I assume pgi can't be dumb enough to have it exclusively as a bonus.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZUeiuMOjt8

Where do you think they got the title for the podcast?

I was going to say something seemed familiar about those robots. Loved that video/intro and miss the podcast.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm a little bummed I'm not getting a "please forget our fuckups" King Crab because I'm only an elite founder.

On the other hand I saved 60$.

E: Didn't PGI's mech/concept artist do a doodle of a king crab ages back? I'm kinda curious how the MWO version will look, particularly considering how they generally find a way to modify designs to allow for torso twisting.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 16, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

As long as we all agree the worst are all the humanoid ones that basically look the same: see also, drat near every IS light to heavy.

Atlas is a rare exception because it actually looks menacing and not like some goofy metal babby.

The worst humanoid mechs are the ones that are really narrow/tall looking. I thought I remember some really goofy looking IS mech that had super long legs and had concept art where it looked like it was moonwalking or some poo poo but I can't remember the mech's name.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

There're plenty of gloriously ugly BattleMechs but there is only one `Mech that will get you punched if you try to field it.

What's wrong with that mech? I think it looks pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

armchairyoda posted:

Remember that this is :pgi: here.

Double != 2x, double = 1.4x

Actually, the in-engine DHS do count for 2x. The rest don't.

• Locked thread