Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Paramemetic posted:

It looks like KitFox goes slow as hell compared to Jenners is this true? Because I'd almost be tempted to play with a lovely clan robit just to see if I could make it gimmicky, but 95 km/h is just way too drat slow for a Light.

Clan lights are just about the only Clan thing that isn't overpowered. Aside from the Kit Fox AMS-shield gimmick, you can either view them as slow lights or under-armored mediums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Valatar posted:

Yeah, but I stopped playing over a year ago, so Alpine Peaks, Tourmaline Desert, Canyon Network, Terra Therma, Crimson Strait, and HPG Manifold are all complete blanks for me.

That must be slightly magical for you, because it would feel like there was actual content released! :v:

The Kit Fox is pretty weak for a light, except as a ECM/AMS shield, but the Nova can run some pretty deadly builds. You can run it as a giant Ember with CERML and MG's, or the other variant with a poo poo ton of CERSL's.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Propagandist posted:

I've been playing some. It's silly and the pubbies are the worst out of all the games I've ever played. Every match: "o7 glhf" devolves into "poo poo team, lrm noobs". That said I'm at least having fun. I enjoy LRM boating, but I seem to lose locks easily. What are ways to help that?

The Target Decay module let's you maintain locks a little longer when you lose LoS, but if your target is running the Radar Deprivation module your lock is instantly broken when he breaks LoS, trumping Target Decay.

Your other options are TAG, NARC, or a friendly light to do that for you.

Really the key to lurming is to get your own locks, don't be that guy 1000m back asking for people to make locks for you. Get close (but use pubbies for cover) and rain angry bees on your enemies and harvest their tears because pubbies are too dumb to seek cover.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Except the Command Console is hilariously bad when compared to the Targeting Computer; they could have just deleted the Command Console from the game and nobody would notice.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Before I make a very bad life decision and reinstall, I have one import an question: Can the Highlander do a :krad::black101:HIGHLANDER BURIAL:black101::krad: and crush other mechs beneath my Highlander's 90 feet? Or are jump jets only useful for SICK NASTY NOSCOPE SNIPES like in every other loving MechWarrior?

What do you think? Hint: The answer does not lie down the road of fun.

imperialparadox fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 20, 2014

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Valatar posted:

Despite early promises, death from above is not a thing in the game sadly. Because yes, it would be awesome.

Also, there's a gotcha about the clan mechs: you can't strip their omnipods. The mechs must always have pods equipped, so you can't just rip the limbs off one one variant to keep in a pile in the corner for later use. If you want to have an extra arm, you have to buy it separately.

You can strip omnipods off of a mech - you just can't launch without one equipped. Otherwise it would be pretty hard to customize Clanners.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

RangerAce posted:

Do you guys test ANYTHING? Seriously. What is your testing process? Just build, deploy, and cross your fingers?

You're right, maybe PGI should create a pre-alpha public test server to test things before they put them on the TEST server. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Feindfeuer posted:

Who do you want to do the testing? The guys doing all the coding also have to keep the server runnings and do all the backend support while Paul & Co are busy doing coke and hookers.

Does MWO really make enough money to keep Paul in Roberts/Star Citizen-level coke and hookers?

It's probably more like meth and the dealer's cousin from the trailer park.

imperialparadox fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 22, 2014

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Honestly I'm amazed that MWO doesn't have a decal system, you would think that they would strive for that kind of real money cash grab.

(Yes I realize that WT has a lot of free achievement based decals, but you know the MWO version would all require cash).

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Real talk: When will Mech collision be turned back on? It's a critical feature that when removed destroyed all immersion.

After UI 3.0, which will be out after CW v.2, which will be out two weeks after Star Citizen.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Clan Streak 4's and 6's have such long recycle times though; I'd rather just pack normal SRM's.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Are clan streaks good because I was under the impression normal streaks sucked now, and I ran face to face into a hilarious catapult build that was 6 SSRM2s and it shot me in a Jenner and basically painted me light yellow. Did they do that thing where streaks don't hit specific places they spread the damage all over in a dumb way?

Streaks used to just hit the center torso right? They've hit random locations for a while now. For a while streaks did 2.5 damage per missile, but it got dropped back down to 2.0 damage when the Clan's launched with Streak6's and such. Essentially the IS took a nerf for no reason because lolClans.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

axelsoar posted:

God drat, that is some gorgeous robutt. I would love to get a picture of those 2 cents without the gun/hud.

That picture just makes me realize how lovely-looking MWO maps are.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Yeah once upon a time (taken from their media page):

That looks better than what we currently have, but it doesn't compare to the images posted.

Man, now I really wish there was a boxed-game of MW that allowed you to push your graphics to the limit, those forest shots above are so pretty.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Possibly, but I imagine that since MWO is a f2p game it's more of a question of making the game available to as many people as possible, even if they have lovely rigs.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Tourmaline is MUCH worse for this. Some of the bounding boxes for those crystalline bits are just ridiculous.

Hit boxes are Lostech.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Holy balls orange core from one alpha on the nova. Don't fire all the lasers at once.

You can always spot new Nova players - they are the dude killing themselves in the first minute of the match. :shobon:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Never change, PGI, never change.

:pgi: :allears:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Why put money in the coffer? It will probably be two years before you can use it for anything. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

OptimusWang posted:

My D-DC is still setup as a trckernaught.

... and it's terrible :smith:

It would be ok because SRM's are good now, but there are a lot of Clan heavies now that carry more firepower than the Atlas with insane speed and durability.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

OptimusWang posted:

I'm not talking about damage so much as the utter inability to get within brawling range on most maps.

Clan lasers getting you or LRM's?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Paying the smurfy guy for his mechlab would have been a better choice than what they came up with.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Hav posted:

Has nobody mentioned the relative wisdom of patch testing and moving datacenters at the same time?

No? Well it's not smart.

Yeah, PGI has demonstrated before that they can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I understand them wanting to run the test server just to give people something to do so that the brown sea doesn't panic about one day of downtime, but trying to roll out a new build there at the same time was pretty dumb.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Number19 posted:

I've gotten much worse in the Jabber channels and I'm still here so don't worry :)

You must be a glutton for punishment.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

The Timberwolf is pretty much an alpha-mech which can do anything well. With a good pilot it puts up ridiculous numbers.

The Dire Wolf is a terrifying murder machine that destroys anything it faces until you realize that you can just go around it - it can be a sitting duck unless it has teammates to back it up.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Is the Zombie CN9-A still a thing?

SRMs work but they also fixed the Cent's hitboxes so it's not nearly as durable as it once was. Shadowhawks and Griffons can do similar builds with jumpjets.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

The Griffons arms are huge - the make good shields with torso twisting. I do 2xML, 4xSRM4A though, the recycle time on SRM4's is pretty good.

Alternatively you can use a Griffin to do ASRM18 and 1xERPPC - that gives you a long range poke until you close for SRMs.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

I'm really digging the Nova. Doesn't feel too bad now that you can buy it for Cbills. We get Summoners today or next week?

The Summoner is a horrible mech though, for real. I'd just save for a better Clan mech really.

Kavros posted:

With the current clan ER lasers, you can do some really mean nasty things as a Nova wingman. You wait till your buddy gets in a fight, then you scootch up and then fire 12 ER smalls (in two groups) into a chosen component.

As far as Clan mediums go, though, a SRM stormcrow might be the winner. I'm not sure yet.

The Nova works well with 6xERML 4xCMG. It's basically a bigger, slower firestarter with the laser range of IS Large lasers. Just use the range to your advantage until mechs are cracked open, and then the machineguns will scoop out their insides pretty fast.

Stormcrows are pretty good as well. I don't have any but they can be built rather versatile, have better hitboxes, and are pretty fast.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

IS Medium Laser: 5 damage, 4 heat, 1.0 beam duration, 270 base range.
Clan ER Medium Laser: 7 damage, 5 heat, 1.3 beam duration, 450 base range.

You can fire six IS ML's before hitting ghost heat, which would be for a total of 30 damage and 24 heat.

Let's say that you wanted to use Clan ERML's, but without running any hotter than the IS ML's. You can decide to fire five of them, which generates 25 heat (which is one over the IS grouping that we are comparing) but...you put out 35 damage for almost the same amount of heat, with the benefit of a much higher effective range and only a .3 second longer beam duration, which isn't that bad really. I really don't see how you can say that Clan lasers are horrible given that.

You even get similar comparisons when you bring in other Clan weapons, if you think outside the box a bit when making comparisons:

IS Large Laser: 9 damage, 7 heat, 1.0 beam duration, 450 base range.
Clan LPL: 11.8 damage, 8 heat, 1.3 beam duration, 600 base range.

Again, the Clan laser has slightly longer duration, and running two of the Clan LPL's will be slightly hotter than two IS LL's, but the Clan lasers outperform the IS weapons in every other way. It's 23.6 damage for 16 heat with 2xCLPL compared to 18 damage for 14 heat with the IS weapons.

One of the best Timberwolf builds currently is 2xCLPL's with 6(or 5)xCERML's. With full weapons that's an alpha of 65.6 damage (depending on how steady your laser aim is) for 46 heat. You have at least two volleys of this before you have to cool down, and it doesn't really take that long to soak that heat (or you can just go into chain-firing to keep up pressure). It's pretty easy to poo poo out 700-1000 damage with kills using that build.

If they keep nerfing Clan lasers, then yeah, eventually they might be really bad, but currently they are pretty good, like just about everything else Clan-wise.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Dramicus posted:

I think it's funny when everyone shits on the Summoner, it's a perfectly fine mech. It might even be considered balanced. The only problem is that it isn't a Timber Wolf, so everyone gives it a hard time. There is nothing actually wrong with it.

In fact you can do most Cataphract builds on it without having the weakness of a normal XL engine. + Every version comes with jump jets for free.

Well yeah, but if you have the option between buying a Summoner for mad CBills, or saving those CBills to buy an overpowered Timber Wolf, one choice is clearly better than the other.

I'm not sure what you mean by "free" jump jets though. They still have weight which contributes to limiting what builds you can do with a Summoner - you just don't have the option to remove them.

If the Timber Wolf variant with jump jets didn't exist, the Summoner would probably have more of a reason to exist, but currently it's a fairly worthless mech.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, if the game had the player base to support it, stock only queues could be fun. I could also see "light only queues" "IS only queues" and lots of other variations of different game modes being fun.

Thing is:

a) There aren't enough players

and

b) Coding a new match type would apparently take PGI a decade to complete.

It's pants-on-head retarded that people want PGI to charge them for the ability to play the game though. :psyduck:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Dramicus posted:

The way they implemented omnipods, you could just swap in the torso hardpoints of another variant. Current clan mechs are mix and match to your heart's desire. Every single timberwolf has jumpjets for this reason.

It's pretty funny really. Switchable omnipods means that after you master your mechs, you literally have no reason to keep two of the variants unless you are just too lazy to switch parts around for different builds (which is understandable given the state of the current UI). I think one of the few exceptions to this is the one Timber Wolf with an energy mount in the CT, which gives you a reason to keep it alongside the Prime if you have the bonus with it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

The best part is there's people arguing that community warfare should be killed off or delayed to work on other features. None of THEM are even considering the idea that these new staff could have let them do both.

Basically we are at the point where even the brown-sea diehards don't expect CW to ever happen.

So I wonder if this new game is going to be an arena shooter or some kind of hex exploration game, and I'm waiting to see PGI's shock when nobody buys into it.

ArchangeI posted:

The joke here is that the new game won't impact development of MWO in any way because they don't plan on any further development of MWO.

:eyepop:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

See, when PGI kills MWO to focus on their new spacegame, it's really all our faults.

If only our wallets cared more, MWO could have been so much more. :ohdear:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I just want to save this image for future generations

Why? It will probably look exactly the same three weeks from now. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Sindai posted:

I really want to see what'll happen if their funding just barely reaches "flight."

They'll just have a walk around and look at a ship in a hangar mode. It's all Star Citizen had for months and months. Good enough for CIG, good enough for PGI.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to admit, my new favorite talking point is rapidly becoming the fact that they are clearly not going to make their goals or refund the money. Which means you're literally just giving them money for no reason if you buy a pack.

Screw all the MW:O history. A brief mention is good enough. People not familiar with this need to realize that this is even worse than selling founder's packs for Tactics after development stopped. There will never be anything of this game outside of that video. It'd be an insane miracle if they hit 500,000 let alone millions.

Sure people call MW:O a scam but this really is turning into a scam, no matter their intentions.

Assuming that you believe that they actually have an outside investor (as opposed to Transverse being funded by Clan mechs), what will that investor be thinking 30 days from now when Transverse is sitting at $10,000 funding or whatever? Star Citizen is going to literally make a month's worth of Transverse funding in a day, this whole thing is just amazing.

I wonder if that investor has some kind of bailout option?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

If anyone can't see anything on the Transverse subreddit, try logging out first. It looks as though I've been banned from even READING it, as if I log out there's half a dozen threads there. Logged in, it's empty.

This is hilarious because you're actually pretty civil and chill.

It looks like the reddit is just Niko posting reactions from gaming journalism sites now.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

It's cool, Niko and all the other mods have been banned from Reddit and some pubbie is taking over the transverse subreddit.

Wait what? :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I'm half expecting them to have some secret transsquirrel program so they can puppeteer mod the subreddit or something.

I honestly don't understand why they didn't do that in the first place. :shrug:

• Locked thread