Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I never would've guessed ten years ago that Jake Gyllenhall would star in my two favorite films in one year.

A friend of mine can't get over his irrational hate for all things Jake Gyllenhaal, and it's sad. I'm very much looking forward to this one. The last two Gyllenhaal movies I've seen were Enemy and Prisoner, and I liked both of them. Especially Enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Saw the movie, would really need to watch 1 or 2 more times to decide if it is good or great for me. But did anyone notice Did he ever sleep? They would show him up all night, then at the station to watching the morning news then just doing stuff during the day.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tenzarin posted:

Saw the movie, would really need to watch 1 or 2 more times to decide if it is good or great for me. But did anyone notice Did he ever sleep? They would show him up all night, then at the station to watching the morning news then just doing stuff during the day.

I don't think so, which is funny considering he only had a bed and no couch.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The first night he got some footage, he sold it, watched the news, learned all the police radio codes, hired some dude before he started to work that night. It looked like he never slept to me.

justlikedunkirk posted:

This is essentially Dan Gilroy just viciously destroying the current state of industry and employment in America. Proper labour has all but disappeared now, leaving people without the kind of career opportunities their parents had. Manufacturing and prosperity used to be constants in America until it was taken away. People have to look for another constant now, the next thing that will guarantee work. So why not turn to human suffering and crime?

That's what I find so drat brilliant about this movie. It is, at its core, the American success story, just filtered through the incredibly warped form of the American dream (or just the version of capitalism we have now) that exists today. People think this is partially a commentary on the media, but I don't think that's right. Its portrayal of the news industry is the same kind of stuff we've seen all the way back to Network. It's more about the pursuit of success by any means, and how that pursuit can wipe the humanity out from someone. Gilroy uses the media as a way to make that point.

And Jake Gyllenhaal, I mean, this is by far the best role he's done to date. Lou Bloom is a walking, talking version of corporate culture. He's a sponge that inhales every sort of quippy phrase, business lingo and piece of false optimism he can find, then spits all of it out at every opportunity he can get. Think Travis Bickle and Patrick Bateman.

This is so right, I never heard the theme of the movie was competition. Competition can drive people to good and evil things, it's kinda loose cannon.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 1, 2014

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Tenzarin posted:

You *edit* -almost- never see him eat, either. Whenever he's at a restaurant - the diner, the Mexican restaurant - he either has nothing or a full glass of water that he doesn't touch at all. Which in hindsight makes his insistence that Nina have a second margarita even creepier in retrospect.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 1, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CRINDY posted:

You never see him eat, either. Whenever he's at a restaurant - the diner, the Mexican restaurant - he either has nothing or a full glass of water that he doesn't touch at all. Which in hindsight makes his insistence that Nina have a second margarita even creepier in retrospect.

No, he eats in the Mexican restaurant. "You can leave." *chomp*

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

morestuff posted:

No, he eats in the Mexican restaurant. "You can leave." *chomp*

gently caress, you're right.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

CRINDY posted:

gently caress, you're right.

Even still, all those factors (plus his terrible fashion and predilection for sunglasses) make him seem like such a gaunt, alien wierdo, which is what's so compelling about him.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how it came out on halloween and was scary in a way as to not make it a horror movie. I had sensed that it was going to end when it did since there was alot of build up before big part of it happened. The movie did not seem overly long in any way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack's Flow posted:

A friend of mine can't get over his irrational hate for all things Jake Gyllenhaal, and it's sad. I'm very much looking forward to this one. The last two Gyllenhaal movies I've seen were Enemy and Prisoner, and I liked both of them. Especially Enemy.

I am a gigantic fan of the two Villeneuve/Gyllenhall collabos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The soundtrack to this sort of works if you see Jake doing Cable Guy Jim Carrey as Patrick Bateman. But yeah, too bouncy and Barry Levinson-y.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The soundtrack to this sort of works if you see Jake doing Cable Guy Jim Carrey as Patrick Bateman. But yeah, too bouncy and Barry Levinson-y.

I actually liked it because it seemed like the music he had for himself in his head. Like the music would swell when he would have some hero moment, but in reality every one sees him as a creepy weirdo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did think it was interesting to end it with him never really getting any comeuppance or even really any setback. All of his monstrous acts succeed and he keeps on moving up the food chain.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this? posted:

I did think it was interesting to end it with him never really getting any comeuppance or even really any setback. All of his monstrous acts succeed and he keeps on moving up the food chain.

The final shot in particular is excellent, of the two vans splitting apart. The use of the three dopey CutCo/Best Buy employee kids who take his lunatic corporate-speak out into the world is a nice capper, the reference to King of Comedy is very appropriate there

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
One of the vans ran a red light when turning left.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Edit: I caught that too, I would love it if it just indicated his lack of boundaries didn't go away with his achievement of success.

The_Rob posted:

I actually liked it because it seemed like the music he had for himself in his head. Like the music would swell when he would have some hero moment, but in reality every one sees him as a creepy weirdo.

That's exactly how I took it. On its face, the movie does a fantastic job of making sure his monstrous nature is totally evident and should never be considered a "rebel" or an anti-hero but the music is totally hero music from a lighthearted drama.

muscles like this? posted:

In a few ways I felt like the music foreshadowed the ending of the movie. He was given hero music because despite the total inhumanity and downright sociopathic behavior, for the world he (we) exist in, he's the hero and he's doing it just right. Coercing a woman into sex, coordinating death into a business opportunity, solving a problem with straight cruel violence, it's the right thing to do. Feels like Wall Street in a sense of portraying a villain as he is without moral justification and celebrating him anyway.

Fantastic movie that I went into with very little information about and loved just about ever moment of it, from the start to the finish. Tension was tight almost from the start because I had no insight into what boundaries, if any, he would respect. And his viral impact on the two people he interacted with most was so gross and fantastic to watch happen. Also, this movie was beautiful. I totally love how night shooting has changed with modern cameras. Saw a trailer for Black Hat before this and I'm in heaven visually between the two of them.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 2, 2014

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ape Agitator posted:

Edit: I caught that too, I would love it if it just indicated his lack of boundaries didn't go away with his achievement of success.

That's exactly how I took it. On its face, the movie does a fantastic job of making sure his monstrous nature is totally evident and should never be considered a "rebel" or an anti-hero but the music is totally hero music from a lighthearted drama.

In a few ways I felt like the music foreshadowed the ending of the movie. He was given hero music because despite the total inhumanity and downright sociopathic behavior, for the world he (we) exist in, he's the hero and he's doing it just right. Coercing a woman into sex, coordinating death into a business opportunity, solving a problem with straight cruel violence, it's the right thing to do. Feels like Wall Street in a sense of portraying a villain as he is without moral justification and celebrating him anyway.

Fantastic movie that I went into with very little information about and loved just about ever moment of it, from the start to the finish. Tension was tight almost from the start because I had no insight into what boundaries, if any, he would respect. And his viral impact on the two people he interacted with most was so gross and fantastic to watch happen. Also, this movie was beautiful. I totally love how night shooting has changed with modern cameras. Saw a trailer for Black Hat before this and I'm in heaven visually between the two of them.

And not to mention that the whole film is about manipulation of ideas through filming, and the media. The whole movie seemed to be him showing us exactly what he wanted to be seen. To him his moments of being weird, or violent, or creepy are totally normal and justified. That's why I love the end of the film. It's the ending he wanted. Now who knows what happened a year down the line. The police probably did an whole investigation and arrested him. Maybe his filming got even more invasive and crazy and he ended up injured or dead, but that doesn't matter because he was in charge of what we saw.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Not sure I liked this or not. I mean, Jake's performance was really great. But the movie was so loving creepy. I haven't been rubbed the wrong way where you know a movie has merits, but it is just too unsettling to really like since the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 2, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Philthy posted:

Not sure I liked this or not. I mean, Jake's performance was really great. But the movie was so loving creepy. I haven't been rubbed the wrong way where you know a movie has merits, but it just is too unsettling to really like since the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

That's some drat high praise.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The_Rob posted:

Now who knows what happened a year down the line. The police probably did an whole investigation and arrested him. Maybe his filming got even more invasive and crazy and he ended up injured or dead, but that doesn't matter because he was in charge of what we saw.

I like to think that he took it easy after the movie, he basically ran out all the big player nightcrawlers. No one would be able to start up like he did now, even he did it before Hudson got 2 vans going.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
My wife observed that this may now be her favorite vampire movie and I pretty much agree with her.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Just got back. The movie was great. In my mind now it's part two of some kind of loose L.A-centered trilogy with Drive.

Anybody else stick around for the awesome retro rock piece over the end credits?

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 2, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Man Dancer posted:

My wife observed that this may now be her favorite vampire movie and I pretty much agree with her.

I was trying to figure out if he got "healthier" looking as the movie went on. One good touch is that that watch hangs really loosely on his wrist.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I was trying to figure out if he got "healthier" looking as the movie went on. One good touch is that that watch hangs really loosely on his wrist.

Apparently Gyllenhaal lost like 20-30 pounds for this movie, and it shows. His eyes are all sunken, to the point where in the shadowy night scenes he looks like a skull.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, he looks flensed. What I like is that it gets the "superficial charm" right. It's very Ted Bundy-ish, punctuated with a lot of nervous laughter and off-putting comments that he glosses over because he's so confident about what he's saying. He's not actually convincing or truly charming, but he's persistent, as he repeatedly says.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
LOVED all the scenes of him watering the goddamn plant. He cared about that plant more than any human he came in contact with. Great touch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This is the most accurate depiction of someone who is a sociopath in a film I've ever seen. Really incredible film and just a skewering of just our culture , everything was up for grabs in this. This was really amazing.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Echoing what everyone else has said about Gyllenhaal's performance - really memorable and unsettling. It's like an alien trying to mimic a relentless, 'can do' entrepreneur. It was well directed too - the build up to the diner scene, after Lou calls the cops, and the subsequent car chase were pretty tense.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
It's always fun to see people surprised at how Lou always succeeds when it looks like he's going to fail, and how his deeds get positive outcomes instead of negative ones. Gilroy is basically saying that the reason he succeeds is because he's working within a system that rewards him for his behaviour. Far from original, but still incredibly effective. We've essentially handed the keys to the asylum to the inmates.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I never would've guessed ten years ago that Jake Gyllenhall would star in my two favorite films in one year.

He can get best actor for this, and best supporting actor for Enemy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something kind of telling about Lou is that once he starts getting money he spends it on a flashy car but still lives in that same shithole apartment with his stolen cable.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

He spends the money on things that matter the car is fast which lets him get to stories quicker and flashy so people remember it, other nightcrawlers, the people at channel 6 etc. He's a brutally practical man and its incredible and also super hard to watch.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
For certain definitions of practical. Rick also calls him out for the fact that he's trying to lie low and tail a pair of triple murderers in a red sports car. Of course, you get the sense that even that was done as part of a calculation, i.e. it conveys X amount of success and confidence and masculinity to have a red car versus . . .

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This movie was hosed, and I loved it. It holds a mirror up to us (americans) and our pursuits.

Also, you can never gently caress up shooting LA.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

justlikedunkirk posted:

I saw this at TIFF last month, and yeah I loved it. The levels of cynicism kind of blew me away, as in I never expected a wide release like this to be this dark and sickening.

(minor spoilers, just covering it up because it isn't out in theatres yet)

This is essentially Dan Gilroy just viciously destroying the current state of industry and employment in America. Proper labour has all but disappeared now, leaving people without the kind of career opportunities their parents had. Manufacturing and prosperity used to be constants in America until it was taken away. People have to look for another constant now, the next thing that will guarantee work. So why not turn to human suffering and crime?

That's what I find so drat brilliant about this movie. It is, at its core, the American success story, just filtered through the incredibly warped form of the American dream (or just the version of capitalism we have now) that exists today. People think this is partially a commentary on the media, but I don't think that's right. Its portrayal of the news industry is the same kind of stuff we've seen all the way back to Network. It's more about the pursuit of success by any means, and how that pursuit can wipe the humanity out from someone. Gilroy uses the media as a way to make that point.

And Jake Gyllenhaal, I mean, this is by far the best role he's done to date. Lou Bloom is a walking, talking version of corporate culture. He's a sponge that inhales every sort of quippy phrase, business lingo and piece of false optimism he can find, then spits all of it out at every opportunity he can get. Think Travis Bickle and Patrick Bateman.

Anyway, see this movie if you can. Sometimes a great movie can elevate itself because of one terrific scene. I counted at least three of those while watching this.

100%.

I read one negative review clicking through Rotten Tomatoes that said the movie tries to criticize his actions while painting him as a heroic, entrepreneurial go-getter and it fails because it tries to have it both ways. I feel like they watched a different movie than I did.

Lou is "the American work ethic" with all illusions of humanity stripped away and exposed as the ugly, exploitative load of self-serving bullshit that it is. I feel like the movie practically slaps you in the face with the scene where two grotesquely attractive white people play through a Hollywood-esque kiss scene with soft romantic music while the face of a dying ethnic minority "child" looms in the background.

Also gently caress everyone who hated the soundtrack. The intended tone would have gone to poo poo if they had used appropriate music and the movie would have been considerably darker and creepier and I don't think it would have worked as well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Lou is "the American work ethic" with all illusions of humanity stripped away and exposed as the ugly, exploitative load of self-serving bullshit that it is. I feel like the movie practically slaps you in the face with the scene where two grotesquely attractive white people play through a Hollywood-esque kiss scene with soft romantic music while the face of a dying ethnic minority "child" looms in the background.

He wasn't a child. He was a worthless backstabbing hobo that Lou stepped over his corpse to advance his career. When he wanted to back out of videoing the shoot out from down the street. Lou said to force a 50/50 split of the profits and then back out at the critical moment would cause him to physically harm him. Lou wanted him to be better at his job, he even told him that he had a higher opinion of him than the hobo had of himself. The hobo was pretty much dead weight and didn't even want to advance. Look at the choices they made, Lou choose to do criminal actions to survive and the hobo just gave up and was sleeping on the street. They were very similar in character but the hobo didn't even try to reach harder for the better life. Lou even gave him a chance to set his own pay and didn't even say a high number. Every time in the movie Lou was making a deal he always tried to bargain. I thought it was pretty obvious that soon as he had the upper hand he was going to force everything he wanted.

Sorry for :spergin:, enjoyed the movie.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 4, 2014

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

He wasn't a child. He was a worthless backstabbing hobo that Lou stepped over his corpse to advance his career. When he wanted to back out of videoing the shoot out from down the street. Lou said to force a 50/50 split of the profits and then back out at the critical moment would cause him to physically harm him. Lou wanted him to be better at his job, he even told him that he had a higher opinion of him than the hobo had of himself. The hobo was pretty much dead weight and didn't even want to advance. Look at the choices they made Lou choose to do criminal actions to survive and the hobo just gave up and was sleeping on the street. They were very similar in character but the hobo didn't even try to reach harder for the better life. Lou even gave him a chance to set his own pay and didn't even say a high number. Every time in the movie Lou was making a deal he always tried to bargain. I thought it was pretty obvious that soon as he had the upper hand he was going to force everything he wanted.

Sorry for :spergin:, enjoyed the movie.

I honestly can't tell if this post is facetiously or genuinely sociopathic.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I honestly can't tell if this post is facetiously or genuinely sociopathic.

The hobo/assistant was the most annoying character in the movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That's definitely a hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Good film, but absolutely ruined by the marketing. Kept expecting the film to go beyond what was shown in the trailer, and it never did. Even the final line of the film was in there! If this is an actual trend in trailers right now (I'm not very up on my films) that needs to stop. Saw the trailer last week when I went to see The Babadook, and yeah, all the tension was sucked from it, really.

The chemistry between Lou and the TV woman was still excellent, and Lou was creepy as hell. But yeah, overall, a bit disappointed.

• Locked thread