Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's ambiguous, but I didn't really assume he killed the rent-a-cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

morestuff posted:

It's ambiguous, but I didn't really assume he killed the rent-a-cop.

There's either a driving or living room scene very ahortly afterwards where Lou's flipping stations and its mentioned that a cop was killed last night and the killer is still at large, so he almost certainly did kill that guy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah the propensity for violence is being established, you also notice he never gets violent with people who are above him in station as even when the negotiation breaks down between him and the scrapyarder he's always respectful, to the point of patheticness. Even when he goes full PUA on Nina he simply changes his tone due to their power positions

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ParanoidInc posted:

I loved this movie and I have to say my single favorite bit in the film was when he was watching that comedy on TV, and when the moment came that he was supposed to laugh he hesitated, looked around and then did this huge fake laugh. That instant gave me a perfect understanding of his character.

I liked it when he saw the news report about an unclaimed lottery prize and chuckled disbelievingly, presumably at the idea that someone could be so dumb as to not realise they'd won.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Some of the best stuff in the movie is just Bloom on his own, watching TV. The aforementioned laughing at the movie scene was fantastic, and he's genuinely scary when he's in front of the mirror.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

There's either a driving or living room scene very ahortly afterwards where Lou's flipping stations and its mentioned that a cop was killed last night and the killer is still at large, so he almost certainly did kill that guy.

That wasn't a cop it was a security guard

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Young Freud posted:

God drat, I watch this and it was mesmerizing. That Mexican restaurant scene is like the most MRA/PUA

lol in that case he wouldve just bought her a bunch of gifts and hoped she woulda had sex with him/helped him out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

I didn't catch that, but I assumed he killed the guard because taking that much fencing would take a poo poo load of time that he wouldn't have if he had to nurse an injured and/or unconscious security guard.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Young Freud posted:

I didn't catch that, but I assumed he killed the guard because taking that much fencing would take a poo poo load of time that he wouldn't have if he had to nurse an injured and/or unconscious security guard.

Not sure what you're getting at unless you're using "nursing" in some other sense that I'm not aware of. Why would Lou bother dealing with the security guard if he were unconscious? He could just finish cutting the length of fence and then split afterwards. The guard wouldn't need to be dead.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

King Vidiot posted:

Not sure what you're getting at unless you're using "nursing" in some other sense that I'm not aware of. Why would Lou bother dealing with the security guard if he were unconscious? He could just finish cutting the length of fence and then split afterwards. The guard wouldn't need to be dead.

The counterpoint being that Lou has no reason to leave him alive, since a corpse can't identify someone in a lineup. Understand that Lou is a psychopath and does not have the same POV as a normal person; being imprisoned for theft is an Unacceptable Outcome, and talking failed to convince the RAC to leave, so he is now an obstacle to get rid of - and since he got a very good look at Lou's face and vehicle, he can identify him if he wakes up, so Lou may as well just kill him and make it moderately more difficult for the authorities to track him down. Getting a nice watch is just a bonus.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

The counterpoint being that Lou has no reason to leave him alive, since a corpse can't identify someone in a lineup. Understand that Lou is a psychopath and does not have the same POV as a normal person; being imprisoned for theft is an Unacceptable Outcome, and talking failed to convince the RAC to leave, so he is now an obstacle to get rid of - and since he got a very good look at Lou's face and vehicle, he can identify him if he wakes up, so Lou may as well just kill him and make it moderately more difficult for the authorities to track him down. Getting a nice watch is just a bonus.

I don't know but I feel like there's still a huge jump between knocking the guy our or beating the poo poo out of him and killing him. Even for a crazy person, he's not dumb and the risk/reward for an assault and theft and a murder are so completely out of whack. He distances himself from the other ways he physically hurts people: clipping the brake lines and getting his assistant killed. I never felt like he was that close to physical violence with other people in the movie. Interesting point though

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I loved this movie. Jake G loving killed it. The music was amazing. The cinematography was top-notch.

The only nitpick I have is... Western street empty? Get out of loving town with that. I've been in that neighborhood at 3am and there are still a couple cars around.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I really need to see this movie again. It's a shame that its hype got washed away with Interstellar's release.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
One thing that's key about Lou is his need to be the one defining the terms of a conversation, and for other people to attempt to abide by those terms. It's why he's so insistent about VIDEO PRODUCTION NEWS A NEWS GATHERING COMPANY, why he's just giddy even he's watching the Horror House broadcast, and why he freaks the gently caress out when Rick tries to re-open negotiations. He's not playing by the rules, and not speaking the right language. It disgusts Lou.

Note that people don't even have to get his poo poo correct, as long as they're indicating that they buy into his system. The anchors gently caress up the name of his company at least once, calling it Video News. He remains nothing but friendly to them after that, because while they haven't mastered speaking his bullshit quite yet, they're willing to learn, and Lou is nothing if not a fan of self-improvement.

Also, I figured he was gonna give himself some ridiculous, self-aggrandizing name for his company, but of course it's something as formless and focus-grouped as Video Production News.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I kinda mean in the way to either keep him from dying, continuing to maintaining his unconsciousness, or otherwise watch him and make sure he didn't get loose and call for help.

It's a minor point given what was revealed later.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently this only cost $8.5M. It's kind of shocking how slick it looks for that budget.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

morestuff posted:

Apparently this only cost $8.5M. It's kind of shocking how slick it looks for that budget.

A good director of photography can really help.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The_Rob posted:

A good director of photography can really help.

Elswit's great, but probably not cheap either.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Saw this movie last night. Absolutely loved just about everything about it.

The biggest testament to this film's effectiveness is how visibly unnerved my fiance was after watching this. Obviously a bad thing, but did make me realize how well made and immersive the movie is and how good JG's performance was. Powerful stuff, favorite movie of the year by far.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Saw this movie last night. Absolutely loved just about everything about it.

The biggest testament to this film's effectiveness is how visibly unnerved my fiance was after watching this. Obviously a bad thing, but did make me realize how well made and immersive the movie is and how good JG's performance was. Powerful stuff, favorite movie of the year by far.

I can't imagine watching this on a date. That dinner scene . . . :stare:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

I can't imagine watching this on a date. That dinner scene . . . :stare:

Lots of "oh my god"

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This movie had the juiciest car chase scenes, the director really made that Challenger look great.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I felt incredibly unnerved throughout. Few movies have ever given me that feeling. It says something the high-speed car chase was about the only relaxing moment in the second half of the movie.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm reading Ulysses right now and so of course I see that Lou Bloom's character name is a reference to Leopold Bloom. I am not even far enough in the novel to get to Leopold Bloom yet, but I do know that he wanders the streets of Dublin. Is that all there is in reference? Surely there is more than just a street wanderer. I know very little about Ulysses so far.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
The best thing is that Lou thinks his bullshitting is a super power.

"Rick, you used my bargaining powers against me!...." :rant:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just watched this yesterday and I thought it was great. I really like JG in general but this is the first time he's really done a standout character imo and he played him perfectly.

My only complaint would be that I had a bit of trouble buying the level of poo poo he was able to get away with throughout the movie/the level of gore the local news was willing to show, but that's small beans.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MentholsNBeer posted:

I mean, if you've ever read any of those bullshit Improve Your Way To Wealth books those kinds of things are basically discussed as if they are superpowers. This is a superhero movie! Lou's like three degrees away from wearing his underwear on the outside.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I mean, if you've ever read any of those bullshit Improve Your Way To Wealth books those kinds of things are basically discussed as if they are superpowers. This is a superhero movie! Lou's like three degrees away from wearing his underwear on the outside.

Lou straight-up uses that definition of "FEAR as False Evidence Appearing as Real" as popularized in Pain & Gain (which is obviously taken from Alcoholics Anonymous) at one point.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MentholsNBeer posted:

That's not what he said or meant. He said Rick used his (Rick's) bargaining power (i.e., position) against him (Lou). And Lou wasn't going to put up with someone who used their leverage against Lou, or even HAD leverage against Lou. Lou wants all the leverage to himself so he can dictate the terms of any deal.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
While watching this I kept thinking of that talking point about how if a corporation was actually a person they'd be DSM diagnosed as a sociopath.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

King of Comedy is the better comparison.

I took the scene of him on camera in front of the fake LA skyline as a direct reference~

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

NESguerilla posted:

Just watched this yesterday and I thought it was great. I really like JG in general but this is the first time he's really done a standout character imo and he played him perfectly.

My only complaint would be that I had a bit of trouble buying the level of poo poo he was able to get away with throughout the movie/the level of gore the local news was willing to show, but that's small beans.

The news' bloodthirstiness is certainly (somewhat) exaggerated, but I thought that was a great touch. It added beautifully to the film's dark sense of humor.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Really liked the movie, and loved the character. I enjoyed the critiques of both entertainment masquerading as news and the overall cynical view on capitalism/libertarianism.

Even the news station's ethical violations were part of the overarching horror story of bottom-line anything goes corporate attitude.

i do wonder why the killer didn't shoot Lou in the end though. Recognizing a kindred spirit? Saw that he wasn't a threat?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

messagemode1 posted:

Really liked the movie, and loved the character. I enjoyed the critiques of both entertainment masquerading as news and the overall cynical view on capitalism/libertarianism.

Even the news station's ethical violations were part of the overarching horror story of bottom-line anything goes corporate attitude.

i do wonder why the killer didn't shoot Lou in the end though. Recognizing a kindred spirit? Saw that he wasn't a threat?

My thought, and there's some overthinking: the killer didn't shoot because the cops were pretty much right behind him. He shot Rick pretty much out of impulse, because a cop would use a light to inspect a vehicle and he was disoriented. He would also have to take some time aim since Lou was behind cover and would take more time to chase him down if he ducked behind the overturned car. His only avenue was to try and escape.

I'm also sure he didn't know what to think of Lou and what he did to Rick, which makes a multiple murderer (whom we know killed those people because of a drug deal gone bad and weren't just some random thrill killers invading suburbia) even more sympathetic than the protagonist.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
In the long run, I haven't cared much for this movie, even though I'll say I enjoyed it. But one thing I really, really loved about it was the score. Howard's compositions are so anachronistically romantic and yet so appropriate for getting inside the mind of sociopath.

You're not just seeing the world through Bloom's eyes, you're actually hearing and feeling it, too. So when he sees these stringers running around highway corpses, and this gets him like a divine message, you absolutely believe it. This is a guy who has been divorced from and hateful of humanity all his life, and so when he finds the thing that gives his life purpose, Howard's score treats this like... I don't know, the closest thing I can think of is of someone scoring the winning kick in a high school football movie.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I also liked Lou transforming the people around him. Rick has a weak but somewhat vocal moral core that he bargains away to Lou in exchange for 50% of the reward. Nina was arguably already the same person as Lou sans actual sociopathy but he definitely brings her closer to his level as they have a bloom-filled romantic moment in front of the recording of the dying Rick. She initially kept her misanthropic job separate from her personal life but Lou pushes them together into one horrible lump.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

messagemode1 posted:

I also liked Lou transforming the people around him. Rick has a weak but somewhat vocal moral core that he bargains away to Lou in exchange for 50% of the reward. Nina was arguably already the same person as Lou sans actual sociopathy but he definitely brings her closer to his level as they have a bloom-filled romantic moment in front of the recording of the dying Rick. She initially kept her misanthropic job separate from her personal life but Lou pushes them together into one horrible lump.

Mentioned it before, but that scene with Nina left me wondering if she was terrified (of Lou), excited, or both.*

*(Are we past the point of spoilers on this one?)

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
I couldn't help but notice that the first trailer was chalk full of things that did not make the final cut. The smiling at the camera when he sits at the news desk was one, but also, he only recites the "Lottery ticket" line once in the final movie, and finally, The speech he gave to the scrapyard owner about what sort of employee he is was recited to Russo in the first trailer. Presumably, he repeated it later to her but they cut it out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I couldn't help but notice that the first trailer was chalk full of things that did not make the final cut. The smiling at the camera when he sits at the news desk was one, but also, he only recites the "Lottery ticket" line once in the final movie

I'm actually disappointed in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
They knew they wanted to cut together this teaser and shot some nice, varied non-spoily footage where they could around one of the more evocative monologues. It was actually Gyllenhaal's idea, if this interview with the director is right.

• Locked thread