Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Saw this last night and was thinking about one extra line revealing a little of Bloom's character and what he's done to get by before he finds his calling - he asks Rick during the interview if he's ever tricked. Rick says no he's straight and Bloom is all defensively 'straightpeopletricktoo' :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Saw this last night and was thinking about one extra line revealing a little of Bloom's character and what he's done to get by before he finds his calling - he asks Rick during the interview if he's ever tricked. Rick says no he's straight and Bloom is all defensively 'straightpeopletricktoo' :colbert:

I really didn't take that as Bloom was a gay-for-pay prostitute (he could have), but more that he knew that Rick was probably lying to him about it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Martman posted:

In context, the line "A friend is a gift you give yourself" was one of the most hilariously hosed up things in the movie. It was the perfect culmination of him taking meaningless one-liners and extrapolating them in insane ways.

Im going to use that line in real life at some point

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Young Freud posted:

I really didn't take that as Bloom was a gay-for-pay prostitute (he could have), but more that he knew that Rick was probably lying to him about it.

I took it as neither and rather Bloom retaking control by using an internet factoid after being wrong.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

nomapple posted:

Good film, but absolutely ruined by the marketing. Kept expecting the film to go beyond what was shown in the trailer, and it never did. Even the final line of the film was in there! If this is an actual trend in trailers right now (I'm not very up on my films) that needs to stop. Saw the trailer last week when I went to see The Babadook, and yeah, all the tension was sucked from it, really.

I didn't see those trailers until after I saw the film. Them's some bad trailers.

Honestly, the viral teasers were all I needed to see to be on board with this.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

A rule of thumb I've developed is to only watch 30 seconds or a minute of the usual 2 min trailers. All I need is cast and crew info and a brief synopsis and I'll know whether I'm on board or not for a film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

A rule of thumb I've developed is to only watch 30 seconds or a minute of the usual 2 min trailers. All I need is cast and crew info and a brief synopsis and I'll know whether I'm on board or not for a film.

I agree, and I mostly stick to teasers. This was all I needed to see of (or read about) There Will Be Blood for an entire year before I saw it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think I ruined my Nightcrawler watching experience by having the idea that its basically someone making a serious movie based on the Onion's Autistic Reporter videos. I could no longer take the movie seriously after that. I know its not actually that though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what really weirded me out was the fact that Renee Russo really is twice Jake Gyllenhaal's age :stare:

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
Saw this movie a while ago, JG was on point as usual and the movie is well shot but i just didn't like it, subject matter wise and character wise it just wasn't that captivating.
The guy was just a creepy douchebag with some serious issues and no redeeming qualities and no LIKEABLE qualities.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

astupiddvdcase posted:

The guy was just a creepy douchebag with some serious issues and no redeeming qualities and no LIKEABLE qualities.

And he does gangbusters in the journalism business. That's kind of the point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

astupiddvdcase posted:

Saw this movie a while ago, JG was on point as usual and the movie is well shot but i just didn't like it, subject matter wise and character wise it just wasn't that captivating.

And?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The idea that Louis Bloom has no redeeming or likeable qualities reflects a real lack of appreciation for a strong work ethic. But that's the Internet for you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The idea that Louis Bloom has no redeeming or likeable qualities reflects a real lack of appreciation for a strong work ethic. But that's the Internet for you.

The appreciation for capitalistic ruthlessness is a pretty disturbing modern trend, but that's psychopaths for you.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The conflation of a strong work ethic and capitalistic ruthlessness – which Bloom possesses both of – is cute, but unconvincing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The character being really funny, even if he's not funny to the people in the movie, is a likeable characteristic. Bloom is tons of fun to watch.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
It's interesting that he possesses a number of "good" characteristics. He's outwardly likeable, personable, professional, works hard, and excels. The fact that he is completely detestable while being so likeable is important to his characterization. I don't think it's important for a character to have positive traits to be able to follow him or even identify with him.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
Guess Gyllenhall is really good at playing a creepy unlike-able sociopath. I just felt like this movie was just REALLY REALLY hollow, and thats just my opinion.
I can't fault the actors or the cinematography, it was all shot really well but the movie just felt empty. Maybe thats what the film maker wanted to do following a real rear end like Bloom and take on a somewhat shocking subject that is journalist capturing gore and poo poo from accidents and wars but yeah. After the movie i didn't feel the emotions i get the satisfaction you usually get from a good movie, cause there was nothing satisfying about Bloom expanding his business or the local newstation getting its crappy ratings. When a film/videogames character is usually a bad or unsavoury character he usually has redeeming traits that draw sympathy such as conflicted or charismatic whether it is characters in TLOU like David or Hitler in Downfall but Louis Bloom is that slightly mentally ill side character whom the main character feels bad for and helps out in the beginning only for him to screw you over but he usually gets his justice at the end except they made a 2hr movie about him didn't kill him off.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Well, that's the great thing about movies. They don't have to make you feel satisfaction.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

astupiddvdcase posted:

Guess Gyllenhall is really good at playing a creepy unlike-able sociopath. I just felt like this movie was just REALLY REALLY hollow, and thats just my opinion.
I can't fault the actors or the cinematography, it was all shot really well but the movie just felt empty. Maybe thats what the film maker wanted to do following a real rear end like Bloom and take on a somewhat shocking subject that is journalist capturing gore and poo poo from accidents and wars but yeah. After the movie i didn't feel the emotions i get the satisfaction you usually get from a good movie, cause there was nothing satisfying about Bloom expanding his business or the local newstation getting its crappy ratings. When a film/videogames character is usually a bad or unsavoury character he usually has redeeming traits that draw sympathy such as conflicted or charismatic whether it is characters in TLOU like David or Hitler in Downfall but Louis Bloom is that slightly mentally ill side character whom the main character feels bad for and helps out in the beginning only for him to screw you over but he usually gets his justice at the end except they made a 2hr movie about him didn't kill him off.

This guy wrote an article about this kind of thing, maybe it'll help.

http://badassdigest.com/2015/01/09/film-crit-hulk-smash-nightcrawler-and-why-movies-dont-need-character-arcs/

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I wish Film Crit Hulk would drop his gimmick and just become a normal reviewer. His articles are genuinely insightful, but the fact that they're in all caps makes them really annoying to read.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Nightcrawler is a feel-good rags to riches story, it's got all the character arc it needs.

Mr_Wolf
Jun 18, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wish Film Crit Hulk would drop his gimmick and just become a normal reviewer. His articles are genuinely insightful, but the fact that they're in all caps makes them really annoying to read.

It used to annoy me too. Just throw the articles into http://convertcase.net and hit the Sentence case button.

I find it strange when people use the fact that a main character has no redeeming qualities as a stick to beat the film with. I don't need that at all, sometime not liking a character is a refreshing change for me.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Surlaw posted:

Nightcrawler is a feel-good rags to riches story, it's got all the character arc it needs.
Yeah, Lou definitely has an arc, it's simply not a desirable or 'just' one for him in the eyes of most audience members.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lou is one of my favorite characters is recent memory, he's a very enjoyable villainous protagonist, the fact that everything works out for him is the best :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Lou is one of my favorite characters is recent memory, he's a very enjoyable villainous protagonist, the fact that everything works out for him is the best :)

Gonna have to second this.

I've heard the "main character is an rear end in a top hat, therefore movie wasn't satisfying" thing from people before and it never ceases to baffle me.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Just watched this today. It was a fun movie and Jake does a great job in it but it was pretty predictable, top to bottom, wasn't it?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BIZORT posted:

Just watched this today. It was a fun movie and Jake does a great job in it but it was pretty predictable, top to bottom, wasn't it?

I didn't think it was very predictable.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Real like Lou blooms in other fields:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/01/05/virologist

And everything done by Horrible Person Frank Luntz.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I didn't think it was very predictable.

Here's what I got from it. The very first scene tells you what his personality is. From then on, as he approaches every interaction you can tell what the outcome will be. From the first scene you can tell he's very well-spoken, creepy, very ambitious, will do what he needs to do to get what he wants, etc. That's the entire movie. It's the same interaction in different settings. He grows slightly, in that he learns a bit more about his field and becomes a bit more confident, but that's really it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BIZORT posted:

Here's what I got from it. The very first scene tells you what his personality is. From then on, as he approaches every interaction you can tell what the outcome will be. From the first scene you can tell he's very well-spoken, creepy, very ambitious, will do what he needs to do to get what he wants, etc. That's the entire movie. It's the same interaction in different settings. He grows slightly, in that he learns a bit more about his field and becomes a bit more confident, but that's really it.

Seems a bit too general, but I guess one could divine that. I didn't.

I never watched any of the trailers and only ever read that the film was 'creepy', so a lot of it was pretty unexpected for me.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

second-hand smegma posted:

I never watched any of the trailers and only ever read that the film was 'creepy', so a lot of it was pretty unexpected for me.

Same, for movies that I really want to see I completely avoid trailers and anything that would influence me going into them.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That's impressive. I didn't realize when he erased the footage of the killers from his recording that he was reserving that information to set them up for a gunfight with the police. Nor did I realize when he was negotiating with his assistant that he was going to have him killed. That's a nice bit of divining.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You can put the screenplay bible down now, not every movie needs to have the same character arc.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You can put the screenplay bible down now, not every movie needs to have the same character arc.

Yeah it's kind of bizarre to see someone say "they established a character fully in the opening scene and then all of his actions for the rest of the movie fit the character that was established" like it's a bad thing.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mr_Wolf posted:

It used to annoy me too. Just throw the articles into http://convertcase.net and hit the Sentence case button.

That's a big help, thanks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

The funny thing is that Film Crit Hulk article talks about this very thing. To have Lou learn anything because it's an 'arc' would be false. Lou is a shark. He doesn't need to change because he just keeps moving. It's not quite the same, but you could argue Belfort in 'The Wolf Of Wall Street' is almost the same. He doesn't learn anything, his only problem is that he was caught.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The character doesn't learn anything, you learn something. The world can and often does work the way this venal predator insists that it does.

He even thwarts his own arc, such as it is, by acquiring particular possessions, rather than growing and changing as a person.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 23, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Film Hulk did a pretty good job getting to the arc in Nightcrawler: the arc is how the rest of Lou's world changes and responds to his ability to satisfy the demands of the television audience. :shrug:

(I know I'm quoting you, Hundu, but I guess most of this post is for Bizort.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think I ruined my Nightcrawler watching experience by having the idea that its basically someone making a serious movie based on the Onion's Autistic Reporter videos. I could no longer take the movie seriously after that. I know its not actually that though.

Wow hahaha I did the same thing. Still loved the film though.

It also passed the "did it make me think / can I have a discussion about this film?" mark. Sure enough, a few minutes later my gf and I were arguing about work ethic and capitalism. 10/10 would get into a fight again.

• Locked thread