Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carnivorian
Aug 9, 2013

:yoshi:
NDA has been lifted, so without further ado let's talk about

Join the closed beta: http://thecrew-game.ubi.com/portal/en-US/beta/index.aspx

What is THE CREW?

Do you find yourself reminiscing fondly about tuned cars, neon lights and sequels of questionable taste? If so, you surely played the masterpiece of a game that is

NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND, or NFSU for friends. And watched

THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS.

If so, you, like me, should be happy to know Ubisoft Entertainment brings us GTA Need For Speed: Underground Hot Pursuit Online. With friends. Open world. And missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXwfbQsm04

It features fast cars

Such as the Shelby GT500 1967

Multiplayer co-operative races

Open World driving w/ sightseeing opportunities

Tuning your ride

And non-player bots named Dom.

Join us on closed beta (PC UPLAY):

-Carnivorian jpjulio (because uplay is a terrible, terrible platform)

R.I.P. Paul Walker

Carnivorian fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didn't get in the beta. :(

Gonna for sure buy this on PS4 though! The game looks really cool, i've been talking to one goon who was in the beta test for PC and he seemed to love it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Duane and Brand0 references come with it too?

Interested enough to look into the beta.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I will be buying this on PS4 in the fall provided it doesn't totally suck. Which, being a Ubisoft game, it has a 50/50 shot at being terrible or amazing.

Carnivorian
Aug 9, 2013

EXTRA FEATURES

You get to play as a bearded hipster

While listening to some sweet Pavarotti. No, for real, the playlist in this game is pretty sweet. There's Arctic Monkeys and Lorde in there if driving around listening to classical isn't your thing peon :rolleyes:

And of course, hiphop. Rap. Or whatever it is you kids call it these days :airquote:

Carnivorian fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 25, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm in the beta. This game is like Most Wanted 2012 except all the cars handle worse, car jumps feel even worse, so do collisions. Also, all that customisation you can do? Every single part can be bought with real-world money, so it manages to be even skeevier than most racing games, including Dirt 3.

Edit: I should mention that even though Reflections helped with the development of the game, the car physics are nothing like Driver: San Francisco. At all.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 25, 2014

Carnivorian
Aug 9, 2013

Great Joe posted:

I'm in the beta. This game is like Most Wanted 2012 except all the cars handle worse, car jumps feel even worse, so do collisions. Also, all that customisation you can do? Every single part can be bought with real-world money, so it manages to be even skeevier than most racing games, including Dirt 3.

Edit: I should mention that even though Reflections helped with the development of the game, the car physics are nothing like Driver: San Francisco. At all.

You should post your gamertag thingie so I can add you to the op.

I have no definitive opinion on the driving mechanics formed yet. I would rate it as GTA-ishly arcadey, but just slightly pushing it towards GTAIV arcadey-realism everyone was bitching about (which I for one think was because people were playing on mouse+kb when they were supposed to have analogic controller trigger-feedback control).

I'm sorry I think that was too obscure for some.

I mean I like it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Carnivorian posted:

You should post your gamertag thingie so I can add you to the op.

No. It's a poo poo game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Great Joe posted:

No. It's a poo poo game.

God damnit. :(

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If you have a PS4 and you want to play half-baked Most Wanted 2012 with a bigger map (because we all know open world racing games that try to sell on a large game world are always good) then The Crew is the game for you.

Also, the beta testing forum has a sticky called "for those who can't pass the first race", which reveals that not only is your car's performance based on your FPS, the game divides your input by the number of input devices you have connected. So if you have a gamepad, you'd better disconnect your keyboard or else your accelerator only goes down halfway.

edit: Hey op, here's a pro tip for your OP. Go to "C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\The Crew", open the file called PCScalability.xml and edit the FPS value to not be 30. That's right, a 30FPS framerate limit.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 25, 2014

Carnivorian
Aug 9, 2013

Great Joe posted:

If you have a PS4 and you want to play half-baked Most Wanted 2012 with a bigger map (because we all know open world racing games that try to sell on a large game world are always good) then The Crew is the game for you.

Also, the beta testing forum has a sticky called "for those who can't pass the first race", which reveals that not only is your car's performance based on your FPS, the game divides your input by the number of input devices you have connected. So if you have a gamepad, you'd better disconnect your keyboard or else your accelerator only goes down halfway.

edit: Hey op, here's a pro tip for your OP. Go to "C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\The Crew", open the file called PCScalability.xml and edit the FPS value to not be 30. That's right, a 30FPS framerate limit.

That`s odd, I'm not having any of those issues. I did have a connectivity issue that made me redo the first race to complete it, but come on it's a beta.

All in all I'm having fun with it and racing peeps online is a blast. Framerate is good and the game seems pretty nicely optimized (I'm playing it on medium [def. setting], my rig is an i5 2500k, Radeon 6950, 4gb ram).

Also no problems with input and I'm playing with a 360 controller.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Carnivorian posted:

but come on it's a beta.

It's a finished product with no hope of changing. Every parameter is set, the only thing missing is plopping down events onto the map. People hoped Battlefield 3's release would play better than the beta or the alpha that came before, and sure enough it played like the alpha with a filter on top. There's not a single thing about the way this game handles that will change upon release. It's not a beta, it's a time-limited demo made to ensure fans are raving about the game before it comes out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Great Joe posted:

It's a finished product with no hope of changing. Every parameter is set, the only thing missing is plopping down events onto the map. People hoped Battlefield 3's release would play better than the beta or the alpha that came before, and sure enough it played like the alpha with a filter on top. There's not a single thing about the way this game handles that will change upon release. It's not a beta, it's a time-limited demo made to ensure fans are raving about the game before it comes out.

Holy poo poo, that is not in anyway shape or form acceptable.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Counterpoint: this game is fun.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Shadowlz posted:

Counterpoint: this game is fun.

:jerkbag:
Did I mention the unskippable cutscenes every time you retry a mission, the fact that cars rotate randomly in the air until they reach 90° and the game then rolls the dice on whether they go further or not, the game automatically assuming you've crashed if the car does rotate further, the fact that an offroad pickup truck will bounce like crazy on level geometry making offroading a crapshoot, that cars take multiple seconds to lean into turns making avoiding traffic also a crapshoot, that countersteering often does more harm than good, the fact that cops don't actually do anything, the long loading times most likely due to the always-online requirement, the fact that the game makes almost zero effort to point out the next checkpoint except for a beam of light going up into the sky, that the minimap rotates along with your car but doesn't point it straight up, or that there's no nitrous rewarded for doing anything, or that despite there being a licensed soundtrack there's also an original one that's just bland movie violins and synths, or even that the menu navigation only makes sense on an american keyboard where Ð and ? are actually [ and ], that the ingame menu pauses the game but doesn't let you use any other input than WASD or that when you alt+F4 the game goes into a splash screen, launches your internet browser and then hangs until you give it focus again?

Oh wait, I didn't. This game is poo poo.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Great Joe posted:

Oh wait, I didn't. This game is poo poo.

Holy poo poo, thanks for saving me :10bux:, that sounds like loving amateur hour.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
This dude drives from Miami to Los Angeles and it takes him about 40 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4cWF95qAgs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yaos posted:

This dude drives from Miami to Los Angeles and it takes him about 40 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4cWF95qAgs

Maybe i'll just end up waiting for this game to be very cheap so I can finally have my dream road trip sim.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Fuel was actually just a better game.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I was in some other beta for this and can also confirm its bad. The environments are about as varied as you'd expect from a last gen open world game, half the map is empty except like 6 cities.

It might also be that I was expecting a new Burnout Paradise for some reason and this game is most definitely not that. :(

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

test drive unlimited 2 was kinda cool for cruising around with people but still a pretty meh game. shame this one also looks meh.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

circ dick soleil posted:

Jesus, now i'm really not interested in the game.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Maybe i'll just end up waiting for this game to be very cheap so I can finally have my dream road trip sim.

Outrun Coast 2 Coast exists and its one mission goal was to be a road trip. Check it out.

VarXX posted:

I was in some other beta for this and can also confirm its bad. The environments are about as varied as you'd expect from a last gen open world game, half the map is empty except like 6 cities.

It might also be that I was expecting a new Burnout Paradise for some reason and this game is most definitely not that. :(

Got some good advice for you, kid. Never buy "the new Burnout Paradise", there's only one Burnout Paradise, that ship has sailed, it ain't happening again. The only people making decent car games anymore are indie studios, though you can't really expect those to make a big ol' handmade sandbox. 90's Arcade Racer is coming along at a steady pace and Distance should be going from Alpha to Beta within the next three months. I recommend you check those out instead.

A Reasonable Man
Jul 30, 2003

Heh heh heh...

Okay.
With the new Open Beta starting soon, I figured it might be a good idea to post this pretty awesome video I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC0l9c2CvkQ

Really is a good showcase of how much detail went into this game in terms of the environments.

As someone who will play driving games just to listen and podcasts while exploring and taking in the scenery (Euro Truck Simulator 2 style), this video has pretty much sold it for me.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Streaming the beta at https://www.hitbox.tv/Oglogoth

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Gameplay issues aside, is anyone else really getting sick of these wannabe Fast and Furious racing games? You've always got some omg-so-hawt girl speaking into an earpiece/phone telling you how to get sick upgradestunes and some Very Serious Guy telling you about how this next race at the factory rave is Very Serious. Forza at least never made me feel like a 14 year old douchebag with too much Axe hairgel and Moutain Dew.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
In some ways you could even say Fuel was a better looking game.

Carnivorian
Aug 9, 2013

Duck_King posted:

Forza at least never made me feel like a 14 year old douchebag with too much Axe hairgel and Moutain Dew.

at least they know what their demographic is :colbert:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Duck_King posted:

Gameplay issues aside, is anyone else really getting sick of these wannabe Fast and Furious racing games? You've always got some omg-so-hawt girl speaking into an earpiece/phone telling you how to get sick upgradestunes and some Very Serious Guy telling you about how this next race at the factory rave is Very Serious. Forza at least never made me feel like a 14 year old douchebag with too much Axe hairgel and Moutain Dew.
This is in pretty stark contrast to Driver: San Francisco, which had no earpiece lady, just two buddy cops being buddies...and cops. It also had a driving model that was more fun than any realistic game, or Need for Speed game.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The world needs a new Burnout Paradise

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It does, but publishers seem to disagree. Didn't prevent EA from putting "please say it's the new Burnout Paradise" into the Most Wanted 2012 press kit.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I have two extra beta codes for the PC that's running this week if people want them. Posting from my phone so might have to wait until I get home before I send them out.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I've got some Beta codes too, have at 'em;

AAY3-KEV8-TD69-KN8B

4TCT-JEBC-FUB8-VFCT

Just post if you've claimed one.

King Faraday fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 27, 2014

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

King Faraday posted:

I've got some Beta codes too, have at 'em;

UHK8-P49F-9PAK-E7D9

AAY3-KEV8-TD69-KN8B

4TCT-JEBC-FUB8-VFCT

Just post if you've claimed one.

FYI all these appear to be used/it said invalid when I tried. Thanks though!

Edit: yes I tried on Uplay, I am not dense.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 27, 2014

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Bob Log posted:

FYI all these appear to be used/it said invalid when I tried. Thanks though!

You have to activate through uplay, they are not steam codes.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I got a beta key from https://www.mmorpg.com they have 20k+ codes left, shouldn't be too hard to get one.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 27, 2014

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This is pretty fun so far, but holy poo poo why would I want to play an mmo to experience the thrilling revenge tale of glower mcbeardface, best driver in this state (but a loose cannon)

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

King Faraday posted:

UHK8-P49F-9PAK-E7D9

I've used this one, thanks.

Played through the Prologue; it's definitely got a Generic Ubisoft Game Story but the gameplay seems pretty solid so far.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Streaming cruise driving. https://www.hitbox.tv/Oglogoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

circ dick soleil posted:

Fuel is unironically good with that one mod that changes handling and adds a million lookout points or whatever, but it hosed up 32-bit systems hard so the mod author made a new version that sucked and had nothing and then he stopped doing anything with it but what im getting at here is that modded fuel is good in a sort of zen drive around mindlessly sort of way

e: it also hosed with the rubber banding in a weird way so the drivers dont slow down at the end but now they just sort of give up if you get a big lead or sometimes get stuck in super speed mode and just blast forward at a million miles an hour forever just as a big gently caress you

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 27, 2014

• Locked thread