Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardulac
May 31, 2005

"There is a difference between fear and caution."

Juanito posted:

If you haven't already, make sure you add your location to the map that tearshed set up:

https://www.zeemaps.com/SA_Mafia
Done.

apostateCourier posted:

I'm close-ish. Central Wisconsin.
Me too (well Eastern Central Wisconsin), but I think we may have had this conversation before.

I'd be up for some Midwestern adventures if something is arranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken

CapitalistPig posted:

Yo 8bux, I don't live near all my hunter friends anymore so I may not be able to get gator tail as easily , but I live about an hour outside of atlanta now!

come on man, you had one job.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ecco, do NOT sign me up.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Don't not not don't sign me up.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Anyone looking for another small game, or are we oversaturated? Nontraditional setup and theme cribbed from SA past.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
We might currently be saturated but two of the games should be ending within a week.

Counter-strike seems to be winding down and mine is getting very close to finished as well.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Ecco waited for months and months for the opportunity to take control again! This is hilarious.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

its one of the mokst pathetic things ive ever witnessed

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Not as bad as my cushions, however.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
JakeP I'm sorry but I am #1

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EccoRaven posted:

Reminder that I am currently in the process of being ~inspired~ for a Big Game!

Current list of presignups:
- QuoProQuid
- Crazyeyes
- Puntification
- Rarity
- kilran

We had a deal!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

EccoRaven posted:

Reminder that I am currently in the process of being ~inspired~ for a Big Game!

I'd like to presign for this as well

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

I'll edit in here a witty joke about me signing up for eccos game later.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Poque needs to use his powers to get a Cubs SA Mafiagoon Suite someday :allears:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Opopanax posted:

We had a deal!

For a different game!!

If you read the fine print it says "you also agree to never be in any other mafia games until then, or the offer is void."

I can't help it if you agree to contracts you don't read. v:silent:v

Asiina posted:

Don't not not don't sign me up.

I think this means yes?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:smith: I don't know how to read, I've been faking

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

its one of the mokst pathetic things ive ever witnessed

Mills posted:

Ecco waited for months and months for the opportunity to take control again! This is hilarious.

But Ecco is only looking to centralize mafia discussion in a thread maintained by someone who plays it! If the OP isn't informative and awful then the thread won't function.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Please stop.
If you want to make fun of me I suggest PMs, that way I read it closely for maximum impact. Please quit making GBS threads up the thread.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ah yes, the classic opposing opinions are threadshitting impasse. How about you put in a token effort to make the OP that nobody reads but is apparently cause for a thread remake not lovely and boring?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm more than willing to take suggestions, but the OP isn't for you or me - it's for someone who doesn't know what mafia is about but wants to learn more and join our community.

I know this may shock you but I actually thought fronz's prank was really funny. But if we want to be a community that thrives, and not one that stagnates, we need at least something that is serious (albeit boring).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

People joining mafia will generally do it because of our sporadic GBS forays or because they know someone who plays and recommended they join a specific game. Nobody's going to just go "mafia discussion thread? What's that?" and then learn from the OP.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I would like to propose that we continue to have easy intro 9 player games at least once a month and advertise them in the general "looking for players" thread in the forum and not just in here or in the new mafia game announcement thread.

edit: this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3608480

Poque fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 25, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ooooohhh. I thought fronz just made a Shank 2 mega thread in games and Capps was creeping on him. Noooooowww I get it.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Pander posted:

Nobody's going to just go "mafia discussion thread? What's that?" and then learn from the OP.

This is kinda how I joined up...

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Pander posted:

People joining mafia will generally do it because of our sporadic GBS forays or because they know someone who plays and recommended they join a specific game. Nobody's going to just go "mafia discussion thread? What's that?" and then learn from the OP.
I think it's a useful reference point for people who do show up though. I think it makes sense to have information about mafia and not an unrelated videogame by an OP who doesn't participate in the slightest.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

This is kinda how I joined up...

You're the exception. Most players ask questions addressed in our All-in-one OP in the discussion or game thread anyway. The vast majority of people are drawn by word of mouth.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

I didn't know what Mafia was before I read this thread, but now, thanks to the OP, I know all the ins and outs of the game like the back of my hand lol

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Diqnol, I don't know why you're so upset about an OP that is related to mafia, and not an unrelated video game? Would the hilarity of another game in the OP help draw new players? :confused:

How about you make some suggestions for ways to improve the OP since you consider it lovely and boring?

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Gah - I guessed everyone should just quit being so irate and unwind with a solid gaming session. Shank, anyone?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think this thread is important, but I would also welcome posting in a separate "Mafia Community Bullshit Thread" too

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Everyone be quiet this thread is for serious mafia posts only plz.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like the OP because I always lose the links for the announcement thread and the wiki, if nothing else it's nice having all the major links in one place.

I would maybe suggest links to the last two. For all the bullshit that goes on we do get some useful discussion done once in a while.

And Ecco did you check with fits recently or is that bit of the FAQ super old? I'm not sure someone who hasn't played a game in years is the best one to vet setups

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 25, 2014

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Juanito posted:

Diqnol, I don't know why you're so upset about an OP that is related to mafia, and not an unrelated video game? Would the hilarity of another game in the OP help draw new players? :confused:

How about you make some suggestions for ways to improve the OP since you consider it lovely and boring?

I wrote a better OP once but it was not used due to foul fronz, the enemy of mafia.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Pander posted:

Except some people do. There's no reason to exclude them from potentially being part of our community so we can have an OP that... talks about a totally separate video game?

anime gently caress pillow posted:

You're the exception. Most players ask questions addressed in our All-in-one OP in the discussion or game thread anyway. The vast majority of people are drawn by word of mouth.

:ssh: the "FAQ" is something I added with this OP. When it comes to the basics, I can't recall a single person posting in here asking "so what's mafia about? How do I play it?" But I do recall multiple newer players saying "hi I am new I wanna play."

Again if you have suggestions, make them! Let's work together on this.

Poque posted:

I would like to propose that we continue to have easy intro 9 player games at least once a month and advertise them in the general "looking for players" thread in the forum and not just in here or in the new mafia game announcement thread.
This is a great idea and we should really do it.

Poque posted:

I think this thread is important, but I would also welcome posting in a separate "Mafia Community Bullshit Thread" too
That is part of what this thread is for.
We used to have a that thread, though, and it was terrible and eventually got gassed for being terrible.

CapitalistPig posted:

Everyone be quiet this thread is for serious mafia posts only plz.
Not really.

Opopanax posted:

I would maybe suggest links to the last two. For all the bullshit that goes on we do get some useful discussion done once in a while.

All three previous mafia threads are at the top of the OP, but in tinier words since they're not as important.

quote:

And Ecco did you check with fits recently or is that bit of the FAQ super old? I'm not sure someone who hasn't played a game in years is the best one to vet setups
I asked him on IRC and he said it's fine.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 25, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm so glad the steam thread is dead

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I wrote a game. It seems like a lot of people have games ready to go, so I'll launch my game in two weeks. I couldn't made this post without you, Mafia Discussion Thread, thanks.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

I am going to run a game

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

I'm announcing my intent to run a Mafia game

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EccoRaven posted:

I asked him on IRC and he said it's fine.

Well put my name on there too since I actually run games once in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Opopanax posted:

Well put my name on there too since I actually run games once in a while

Done. If more people would like to be open for new players questions I'm fine making it like, a separate list or something.

• Locked thread