Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I liked CofL49 a lot, but I also read it it one sitting during one very boring work night. It's probably not top-tier but it's not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverse Arab
Feb 14, 2010
every so often I come across something that I can't tell if Pynchon was referencing or just came up with on his. There's a line of Kant's Prolegomena that goes

quote:

"But still there is between reality (sense-representation) and the zero, or total void of intuition in time, a difference which has a quantity. For between every given degree of light and of darkness, between every degree of beat and of absolute cold, between every degree of weight and of absolute lightness, between every degree of occupied space and of totally void space, diminishing degrees can be conceived, in the same manner as between consciousness and total unconsciousness (the darkness of a psychological blank) ever diminishing degrees obtain."

and maybe Pynchon draws on that when he talks about Roger Mexico and Pointsman and maybe he doesn't, but it's definitely reminiscent of that.

or I just read that one thing they tried using for rocket fuel were Hepcat cations. Pynchon alluding to that when he calls people hepcats seems way more of a stretch but who knows? That information was public by '73, so :confused:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I can't get enough. Reading Bleeding Edge now and Inherent Vice is on the way. Bleeding Edge is almost disappointingly easy to read, if that makes sense, though I'm not very far in yet. It's got your to-be-expected funny names, paranoia, scoundrel clerks, and the rest. The computer hacking/internet stuff, though seemingly well-researched, rings a little false if you were reading about all that through the 90s.

• Locked thread