Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Alereon posted:

every manufacturer has some gimmick to get to 6tb, i just think hitachis helium gimmick is coolest. this anandtech article is p. good. hitachi uses helium to cram seven 860gb platters into a drive, wd cuts rpm down to 5400 to cheaply cram 1.2tb on a platter and puts five of them in, seagate moved to a weird form factor to cram in a sixth 1tb platter.

e: 2.5" drives are faster/lower-power/more efficient for a given volume though. im surprised no one is making GBS threads out 4200rpm 2.5"x12.5mm NAS drives

isnt hitachi WD now anyway

or actually arent they supposed to be toshiba?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also seagate is garbage i had to stop buying them because they would literally all fail on me within like 4 months

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

kinda curious exactly what this is, because fusion drives usually mean they have a dependance on OS X which is pretty much the only difference of hybrids

at work our video suite has this huge array of regular HD's in a cabinet. sometimes renders happen over night, and i think it would be a huge benefit to think about something faster

unless you're rendering fast enough to be limited by storage speed (this usually only happens when dumping something to disk or doing a stream copy) something faster really wont help much

i mean obv seek time or whatever might be a little better and you might get like 3-4 fps better but meh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

besides the way fusion drives work i dont think files being rendered would end up on the ssd anyway?

• Locked thread