Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

(I wanted to name this thread European Speedster Assembly 2014 - Thät's nævêr håppëñed bèføré, but the forum wouldn't let me.)

Summer is here, and that means speedruns! Wait, I already used that intro for the SGDQ thread. And I guess summer has been here for a while. Okay, let's start over.

It's once again time for a bunch of nerds to gather in a small space to play games fast! And this time, those of you who have liked the goofy accents whenever a non-US runner has showed up to play at a *GDQ, boy are you in for a treat. At ESA, we all have goofy accents! Well, comparatively. All for charity - the charity is the same as SGDQ, Doctors Without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières).

European Speedster Aseembly 2014 will thusly be brought to you by Team Ludendi from Skövde, Sweden, starting on Sunday, July 27th and going on until Sunday, August 3rd. A week full of Scandinavians, Dutchies, Brits, Germans, and so on and so forth. And, of course, speedruns.

This year, ESA tries out that thing that's been discussed sometimes for *GDQ in the past - two concurrently running streams. The blue stream is mostly the primary stream, whereas the yellow stream features some non-speedrun content and open blocks where it'll be decided on site what'll be played.

Links for you

The all-important schedule: http://www.europeanspeedsterassembly.com/schedule - and as a first for ESA, automagically time zone adjusted. Woo, progress!

Watch it at: The main website, which finally has been updated from last year's information, can be found at http://www.europeanspeedsterassembly.com/ - here both streams are set up on one page, together with a Quakenet webchat client. *GDQ watchers have had some success with Livestreamer, but that might get iffier with two streams.

Chatting: Gotta chat up them watchers and runners, no? But as always, stay the hell away from twitch chat. IRC is the way to go! If you're watching from the main ESA website, you have the channel right there, but you might want to go IRC client instead, in which case you go to:

Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #esamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (Mibbit is a no-go)

And as always, the SA speedruns IRC channel:
Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
Mibbit Webchat

=============

So about that ESA

European Speedster Assembly is a speedrunning marathon that started in 2012 as an attempt to do something similiar to AGDQ and SGDQ in Europe, due to there being a lot of really good speedrunners over here that might not have the means to make it to a marathon over in America. In 2012, ESA collected about $3000 for the charity organization Hand in Hand, and in 2013, about $20,000 for Doctors Without Borders.

Just as with *GDQ, all participants in ESA have paid for their own travel and living expenses. All money donated goes directly to the charity, with no cut being taken by anyone involved with the event.

A distinction to be made is that where the *GDQ marathong are first and foremost charity events, ESA has more turned out to be a speedrun marathon that also happens to be for charity. As such, ESA tends to have a slightly more "relaxed" attitude, if that makes any sense.

=============

Donations, how do they work

ESA uses the same donation system as the *GDQs do, coded by SMK after ChipIn crashed and burned horribly during AGDQ2013.

With every donation you do, you can leave a comment. In recenter *GDQs, getting your donation read on stream has been less and less likely, but as ESA tends to get less, combined with there being donation readers on both streams, there's a much higher likelihood that you'll get yours read out on stream during this marathon! Rules for comments are likely to be essentially the same as for *GDQs, though, so any donation under a dollar or anything offensive will get filtered out.

=============

Reasons to donate! (other than charity if that's not enough for you you cheap bastard)

Of course, ESA has donation incentives and prizes as well. At the time of this writing, the prizes aren't really neatly listed anywhere, and the incentive list isn't complete either. But you'll be able to find them on the trackers once they've all been put in, which should hopefully be before the streams go live - Blue tracker and Yellow tracker.

Donation incentives are things like naming characters, bidding for different options, sometimes even adding short bonus runs or glitch showoffs that aren't part of the regular run.

=============

FAQ: (yes it's the *GDQ FAQ again)

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There is no one answer to this question. Anyone you ask will give a different answer. Read the schedule, they'll all be great. Tune in for any game you're interested in.

Some of the runs that turn out to be the most amazing will be listed in the second post eventually. If you think a run should be in that post, let me know.

Q: Will ____ be there?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. It's probably a wise idea to avoid bringing up some of the more controversial runners/commentators.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Even with two streams, there's not room for everything. But keep track of the open blocks on the yellow stream, and stick around after the marathon for the bonus stream too!

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: Either there were too many comments happening at the time or your comment broke the rules. Something like that.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: Nyeport, a community center in Skövde, Sweden.

=============

Så det så.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

This here post reserved for things in the future.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm really looking forward to watching this live for the first time. I've been watching SDA's marathons ever since Classic Games Done Quick, but I hadn't heard of this one until last year.

I like that there's two streams at once, especially since the yellow one tends to have the longer games instead of having them at the end of the marathon.

How is Majora's Mask 100% co-op going to work? Is it two players, one controller?

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
So hey what ever happened to that guy that got cucked at SGDQ???

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Everyone make sure to tune in on the Yellow stream later in the week for Beer - The Last Eichhof... you won't be disappointed.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
ESA is awesome, and I'm really excited for this year's event.

For anyone checking it out, don't discount the second stream. It's gonna be more chill than the main stream, but there are some really cool games tucked away in there. Jet Set Radio, Ninja Gaidens, Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime 3, DMC1, Wand of Gamelon with cutscenes, Bastion race, William Shatner's TEKWAR, Dark Souls 2, Portals, etc. etc. Lot of good stuff in there.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Also, for shameless self-promotion, the Bionic Commando Rearmed 100% run is going to be extra awesome now since there's been new stuff found. Before new techs, I've only done that sub-hour once, but now there's a legitimate possibility that I'll be able to sub-hour live. That would be really nice to get.

I mean when I've named one of the new techs "PJ grapple", you know it'll be something special!

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

BloodWulfe posted:

ESA is awesome, and I'm really excited for this year's event.

For anyone checking it out, don't discount the second stream. It's gonna be more chill than the main stream, but there are some really cool games tucked away in there. Jet Set Radio, Ninja Gaidens, Tales of Symphonia, Metroid Prime 3, DMC1, Wand of Gamelon with cutscenes, Bastion race, William Shatner's TEKWAR, Dark Souls 2, Portals, etc. etc. Lot of good stuff in there.

The Final Fantasy 7 run on the second stream is absolutely worth watching

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Been looking forward to this for a while, can't wait to see how things go.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wonder how long it will take before the cross-dressing breaks out this year.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Alright then, arrived at the event, sweaty as all hell.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://twitter.com/PIPeJTV/status/493042083046125568 :woop: thought he'd stay in Hong Kong for the duration holy poo poo

And in-house French restreaming, these guys are dedicated and brought a proper broadcast mixer https://twitter.com/PIPeJTV/status/493102836734230528

Pre-ESA piratestreaming on and off? http://www.twitch.tv/robo_sparkle

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 26, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Going live in about 35 minutes!

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
We're live now with some pre-show :words:

Croc is the first run up, followed by Ape Escape 3, Metroid Fusion, and then Zelda II. Main stream room is packed and full of marathon excitement.

Reminder that the secondary (yellow) stream doesn't start until tomorrow, but there's a ton of good stuff there too so check the schedule.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
2D element glitch% Croc?

e: oh just the title

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This Croc title screen looks a bit unwell.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Wait how the hell is someone going to speedrun North and South?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

This is automatically better than and GDQ simply because non USA accents are better than boring American accents.

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
I really enjoyed that Zelda II run. And for some reason can't wait for ME2. Seems like an odd game to Speedrun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

This BL speedrun is kinda... bleh.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
I can't wait for the shmup race later. Sounds riveting.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

In a perfect world, the yellow stream would have had things going during the BL one. That's what I jumped in on the two-stream deal in the first place, to provide an alternative during lengthier polarizing runs.

Also Sweden is enduring a heatwave for the historybooks right now, people are exhausted, wasted, the roads are nearly empty compared to how they usually are. It rains and storms here and there but that only adds humidity to the temperatures.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Is there or will there be archived videos/video on demand for these?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

field balm posted:

Is there or will there be archived videos/video on demand for these?

Archived on Twitch yes, going by the last two ESA the youtube archiving will be quick also. A good bit of money went into building proper streaming computers for this so recordings are done locally as well, for ultimate quality and capturing absolutely everything.

A Friendly Horse
Dec 28, 2013
when's YoCo? #GYCL #SupportESports

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
There may be yoco on the second stream later in the week.

Right now there's a pretty cool Otogi 2 run going on. I think pretty much everyone forgot about Otogi, but it's a fun early Xbox action game by From.

There's also going to be a goofy Beethoven's 2nd race in an hour or so. It's a (really bad) SNES game, but the race will be entertaining.

Second stream will be live in seven hours or so: http://www.twitch.tv/esa Bunch of good SNES Disney games right out of the game, and first up is World of Illusion. Jet Set Radio is a few hours after that, and that'll be pretty cool too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BloodWulfe posted:

There's also going to be a goofy Beethoven's 2nd race in an hour or so. It's a (really bad) SNES game, but the race will be entertaining.

This game is excellent for races, everyone should watch it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

There may be yoco on the second stream later in the week.

Right now there's a pretty cool Otogi 2 run going on. I think pretty much everyone forgot about Otogi, but it's a fun early Xbox action game by From.

Second stream will be live in seven hours or so: http://www.twitch.tv/esa Bunch of good SNES Disney games right out of the game, and first up is World of Illusion. Jet Set Radio is a few hours after that, and that'll be pretty cool too.

Otogi 1 and 2 plus Breakdown are the only reason I even still have my Xbox. Anyone catch the ME2 run where he kept staring at Miranda's rear end? I know he was doing it as a joke, but it still seemed kinda pathetic. The Episode 1/2 runs were pretty interesting, and every 'j' being soft is pretty great.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Mr E posted:

Otogi 1 and 2 plus Breakdown are the only reason I even still have my Xbox. Anyone catch the ME2 run where he kept staring at Miranda's rear end? I know he was doing it as a joke, but it still seemed kinda pathetic. The Episode 1/2 runs were pretty interesting, and every 'j' being soft is pretty great.

:hfive:

Otogi 1 and 2 are really fun games. I feel like even more people forgot about Breakdown than they did Otogi though. Also, I'm still hoping someone will route Phantom Dust one day.

I sat through a bit of the Mass Effect 2 run. He was clipping through Miranda's butt and commenting on it throughout the suicide mission too. Dude really enjoyed Miranda's butt.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I am curious how the secondary stream idea is going to take, because it doesn't seem possible to do two streams and have them feel remotely on the same level. One's on the main channel and the other's not. Like if GDQ did two streams, there's no way they would feel equal at all, to the point that you shouldn't even do marathon runs on the secondary stream while other runs are on the main channel.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

CVagts posted:

I am curious how the secondary stream idea is going to take, because it doesn't seem possible to do two streams and have them feel remotely on the same level. One's on the main channel and the other's not. Like if GDQ did two streams, there's no way they would feel equal at all, to the point that you shouldn't even do marathon runs on the secondary stream while other runs are on the main channel.

They are trying a lot of new stuff with this marathon(due to it being a bit of a smaller marathon then the GDQs, but big enough that there will be a decent number of people watching), one of them being the second stream. I'm kind of curious as to how well it will turn out myself.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

How do the prizes work? I threw a $20 donation their way during the Zelda 2 run today because I love that game, I think speedruns are awesome, Doctors without Borders are awesome and BECAUSE I REALLY WANT THAT COW PICTURE!

I can find it on the Blue Tracker list but it's all really confusing. Clicking on it brings up 3 games (I guess the games where you can donate to enter the raffle?) and it says winner none but I'm completely lost because apparently I'm an idiot.

I just don't wanna miss out on potentially winning that picture. That would honestly fit very well and look great in my living room and I want it :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is being high the best state to be in when trying to speedrun because these guys doing Beethoven are crunched

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

No that's just what Cruxit sounds like.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The CG intros for each game are really cool guys. No sarcastic post this time!!

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I'm kind of really enjoying these dumb quirky short speedrun games no ones ever heard of.

Edit: Well I guess technically most people have heard of Kung Fu and Ice Climbers but yeah.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 28, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I'm gonna be on the couch for Battle Kid race and pretend I know about the game!

Also need to hunt down Greenalink and borrow his DS Phat so I can practice Umihara Kawase

Edit: Also, tales from the practice room! Xbox 360 of dude sitting next to me red-ringed, so there's a possibility that mine is the only working one in the house at the moment. We're hoping there'll be no X360 games on blue and yellow streams at the same time before we secure more of them.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 28, 2014

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

CURRENTLY IN THE PRACTICE ROOM: Building a game controller out of watermelons.

Pictures eventually.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Yellow stream starting up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Sucks that the block with Beethoven's 2nd through Donald Land was in the middle of the night, I wanted to watch it but could only watch Beethoven's 2nd.

• Locked thread