Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Deathwind posted:

The reason this game isn't mentioned much isn't just that it's generic, it also has an annoying UI. Anyone who put up with the UI gets to slog through some rather bullshit puzzles with little reward. Sierra games were rewarding to complete because of their high mortality, Lucasarts did it with clever writing and comedy, kyrandia has almost nothing.

Well, at least it looks nice?

Also the "bullshit puzzles" in Kyrandia have nothing on Roberta Williams' particular brand of obtuse retardation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

You have a point, the game does look good and sierra's hintboot ads moon logic puzzles are bullshit but I was more talking about the tedious puzzles, the ones that even if you know the answer are a pain.
In my defense I grew up playing sierra games and tend to think in their brand of moon logic.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Deathwind posted:

I grew up playing sierra games and tend to think in their brand of moon logic.

"drat, I can't find my car keys. Welp, better grab a genie's lamp, a bouquet of snapdragons and a box of peppermints."

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

"drat, I can't find my car keys. Welp, better grab a genie's lamp, a bouquet of snapdragons and a box of peppermints."

That list of items is oddly close to the endgame of king's quest 6.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
As we shall see in a few updates' time, Legend of Kyrandia has its own brand of really unfortunate bullshit. The second and third games get a bit better, but the first has some really atrocious puzzles and, well, you'll see.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I think I played hand of fate first, and gave up several times on the first game til internet walkthroughs were readily available. The third game was impressive in its scope, at the time, but I remember several baffling puzzles. The second one hit the right spot for me and was the most fun.

I'm looking forward to this lp!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

As we shall see in a few updates' time, Legend of Kyrandia has its own brand of really unfortunate bullshit. The second and third games get a bit better, but the first has some really atrocious puzzles and, well, you'll see.
The one thing that comes to mine for me is that loving fireberry cave

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Funny you should mention that...

Came across this thread yesterday and it sparked a memory, so I went digging through a box I have with crap from when I was a kid, and found I still have this:

Potential spoilers in case you haven't played the game.

http://i.imgur.com/QNpKV3T.jpg

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

That part is the one everyone remembers, probably because that's where everyone gets annoyed enough at the game to stop playing. But at least one of the puzzles after that point is in my opinion much worse because the punishment for failure is so severe. You'll see.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Came across this thread yesterday and it sparked a memory, so I went digging through a box I have with crap from when I was a kid, and found I still have this:

That's great. I think we all had one of those, but mine is long gone by now.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 3: Wherein Troublesome Wildlife and Senile Old Men Feature Prominently

Music: Timbermist Woods (Tindeck)

Last time, we reached Timbermist Woods, where a mystic named Darm would be able to help us out. Since we've reached a new area, Brandon now has something new to say when we click on him.

Where is everybody? ... Too bad I can't take a quick nap.

Naturally, it's still nothing but complaints. A little ways down the road is a dumpy-looking thatched roof cottage.

Another big sign... but no front door. Is this thatch, or just weeds thrown on the roof?

It looks kind of unhygienic, but let's go inside.

Hello-- anybody home? Boy, it's dark in here. Darm? Brandywine?

Hey, we found Darm, eldest member of the royal mystics. Occupying most of his house is his pet dragon Brandywine. She also happens to be the smartest person we'll encounter for a while, although frankly that's not saying much when the competition consists mainly of Herman and, as we shall soon see, Darm himself.

Video: Darm (Youtube)

Music: Darm's Abode (Tindeck)

May I help you?
He asked for ME! Why would he visit you? What do you want boy? Are you taking orders for cheese?
This is Brandon, you old dolt. You know... Kallak's grandson. The one on a quest to overthrow Malcolm's power.

I'm a little concerned about how Brandywine knows that, given that we only found out ourselves a little while ago and the bridge has been out. Did one of Darm's walls come alive too?

I knew that. So, Branson, you're a dancer? That seems odd.

Darm is one of the best characters in the game, by the way.

I'll need a quill.
A what?

Perhaps the crisis has inspired him.
Are you saying I scattered papers about just to look busy? ... Say, could YOU brush a dragon's teeth?

Do I smell cats on your breath?
Is it my fault I don't eat knights? Yech! All sweat and muscle, and so hard to peel!

Brynn thought so.
If you'd just stop your dancing, Cramden, and bring me what I asked for!

Ughhh, another fetch quest. Darm needs a quill before he can provide us with any magical assistance. I'm not sure his help is going to be worth the hassle. For now let's just explore the area south of his hut and see if there's anything interesting going on.

Doesn't look like Malcolm is bothering the Kyrandian Garden Club.

There's a nice big gem fitted in the pedestal of that statue, but...

That emerald is really wedged in there.

Brandon's rampant disrespect for public property and propensity towards larceny is thwarted, for now. Continuing south takes us to the oldest living thing in Kyrandia, and also a big tree.

... but he's taking up the whole bench!

Not content with only soliticing one senile old man for help today, Brandon dives right in. Between Kallak, Darm, and this guy, Brandon's total circle of acquaintances seems to have an average age of about 80.

Video: Nolby (Youtube)

Music: Nolby (Tindeck)

*COUGH* *COUGH*

There is no way to do the video justice. Nolby's hacking and wheezing is pretty gross, but Brandon is undaunted.

Good morning, Nolby.
*HACK* *WHEEZE* I'm busy. Go away. Your mumbling distracts me. Please leave and go.
I need a quill, sir. Can you direct me?

I'm not really sure why Brandon would think this old geezer knows where to get a quill, anyway. Maybe hassling the elderly is just some weird hobby of his.

What for? *ACKACKACK*
Darm requests it. I am collecting magic to fight Malcolm.
I know of Malcolm. He scares the birds. There is one songbird left, but...

I'm sorry to hear that. But I still need a quill.
If you would harvest, you must sow! *WHEEZE*

Believe it or not, Nolby's incoherent rambling has given us a clue for an upcoming puzzle, which means he's only the second most useless senior citizen we've run into today.

To the immediate south is just more generic forest with nothing interesting in it. If we go east from where Nolby is sitting, we come across an old well.

Looks like Herman fixed this.

Sounds about right.

... Hello? Anybody down there?

Nope, nobody's home. There really isn't anything to do here, either. North of here...

... we find that songbird Nolby was talking about.

That bird is definitely hurt... how can his wing bend like that?

Sadly, the bird seems unwilling to surrender a feather for us to give to Darm, and we don't have any way to fix its broken wing, either. Our consolation prize is the lone walnut sitting casually on the ground.

Must be a small crop this year. I wonder what a floornut tastes like?

Did Kallak teach you these puns, Brandon? Maybe we're better off with him as a rock.

A little to the south and east is a little spring and a brook, next to which is yet another conspicuous gemstone just sitting out in the open. This one is an amethyst.

Oooh! Purple sparkles!

We can also grab the tulips on the right. We really only need one, but if we lose it somehow, we can come back here and get some more. The last thing we can do here for now is examine the brook in more detail.

I wish I had time to soak my feet.

So far, our search has yielded very little of any use, but we've only seen about half the locations in the new area so far. This part of the game is basically just a big open space for you to explore and collect random items (like these gemstones the Kyrandians apparently don't consider worth bending over for to pick them up). Once you reach critical item mass, you can start solving puzzles. South from the stream is another forest area, and to the east of that--

Hey, that's new.

Now why would I want to go into a cave like this?

I can think of several reasons off the top of my head, most involving the word "treasure". In you go, Brandon.

What the heck is that?

Oh, nuts.

:siren: Video: Malcolm Taunts Brandon at Serpent's Grotto (Youtube) :siren:

Music: Malcolm Encounter (Tindeck)

Were there none to test me better? Or do you believe in all Brynn's lies? Perhaps your MOTHER should assist you.
My mother is dead, sir...

:iceburn:

Be careful, boy. Do not insult a man with knives.
Please move aside. I seek the cave.
Beware, young fool... my grip may slip!

No bother sir. You missed the mark.
I do not miss... except at will.

This entire exchange is so bizarre, and sounds painfully scripted. At this point we are given back control. Malcolm will just stand there doing nothing until we click on something. All right, we're not scared of some wimpy-looking clown, are we? We can just push right past him and waltz right into that cave--

Son of a submariner. All right, plan B.

The game expects one thing of you in this situation, and one thing only. Doing anything other than the expected action is another instant game over. Mercifully, and unlike some of the later life-and-death situations in the game, you don't need any special items or to have completed any particular puzzles to survive here. Click on the knife embedded in the tree behind Brandon, and...

I return your gift, kind sir.
I leave you now, and dodge your sorrow, but I may not be nice tomorrow!

Now that's scary. Which circus is HE from?

As usual, Brandon hasn't been paying much attention to what people have been trying to tell him about Malcolm. I'm not even sure Brandon realizes who he was talking to. At any rate, Malcolm has blocked our progress with a wall of solid ice, and we lack the means to do anything about that, so there's nothing left for us to do but return to exploring.

Most of the area surrounding the grotto is more nondescript woodland, but eventually we stumble upon this dreary-looking place.

Music: Deadwood Glade (Tindeck)

I don't want to see the gopher that dug this hole! It has to be as big as a dog!

We'll be back here eventually. Next on our tour of Timbermist Woods is the area west of the statue with the emerald in it.

This is beautiful! Nice work. Very professional.

I don't know, it doesn't even have walls. I would worry someone was going to steal that golden plate, if the Kyrandians hadn't already shown a drastic under-appreciation for precious minerals. Which, of course, is our cue to grab it for ourselves.

Sadly, we can't, and will have to make do with the treasure trove of gemstones we've got shoved into our trousers. Note the diamond-shaped indentations in the altar. I for one smell a puzzle, but it's another one we can't start yet.

West of the altar are a bunch of oak trees. We can nab one of the acorns, which of course means we must.

I think I'm going nuts.

I think we're going north.

The botanical marvel that is Kyrandia continues to astound with what appears to be a ruby tree. By the tree is a sign warning us of the danger of avarice, and the dehumanizing effect that sudden financial empowerment can have on the psyche, teaching us the valuable lesson that the easy way to success may come at the cost of subtle but irreparable damage to our souls.

Brandon, oblivious to any and all subtext as usual, jams his hand into the foliage and grabs a moist, delicious ruby.

Yeow! Ow! Ow! That snake bit me!

Aaaaaahh tree snake! How could we possibly have known there was some kind of danger in the tree? Note how the snake actually appears to be biting the mouse cursor. A nice little touch.

It was dangerous getting this ruby.

We do still get the ruby for our efforts, though. Say, Brandon, you look a little different. Probably nothing to worry about.

Oh, walk it off, Brandon. You complain too much about silly little things.

The poison...

Goddamnit.

The game has now graduated to handing out game overs for otherwise reasonable actions, with just enough delay between getting bitten and actually kicking the bucket that a careless adventurer might save over his only savegame. Looks like we need to figure out some way to deal with that snake before we can have ourselves a ruby. Nothing in our inventory seems especially helpful, so we're at another dead end.

We nearly have everything we need to start solving some puzzles. The last thing we need is actually sitting in one of the nondescript woodland locations waiting to be stumbled upon:

Oh no! Pitch!

Spare us the sap, Brandon. Heh.

All right, now that we've got this pinecone, we're ready to proceed. We have all the pieces needed to start solving a few puzzles and make some progress. However, that will have to wait for next time, when we will finally learn some real magic, and solve a bullshit puzzle.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I am beginning to understand this game's reputation.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This. This track started playing in my head when I saw the LP test post. It's :ocelot:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Still can't get over Kane doing a high-pitched whiny voice.
Yes, I will post that after every update.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I didn't even know that Kyrandia had a reputation, it feels like one of those games I'd never really met anyone else who'd played, and which never got brought up at any time. Also I kind of miss Westwood's old adventure/RPG music, Kyrandia and Lands of Lore had pretty decent music.

Pretty sure the Timbermist Woods track got used for one of the two early forests in Lands of Lore 1, actually... or at least something staggeringly similar.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My friends who had a pc at the time had the Kyrandia games when I was a kid. It was cruel, I dont think we ever finshed one of them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Psion posted:

I am beginning to understand this game's reputation.

Oh, you haven't remotely seen the worst of it yet. So far, the game is just randomly killing us. It gets a lot worse.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also I kind of miss Westwood's old adventure/RPG music, Kyrandia and Lands of Lore had pretty decent music.

Pretty much all Westwood's music at this time, including Lands of Lore and Kyrandia, was done by the talented Frank Klepacki. He also did the C&C and Red Alert soundtracks, including all your favorite classics like Hell March.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
If you're not saving in a new file (if at all) after being bitten by a snake, then you deserve to replay the whole, what, ten minutes of gameplay up to this point? Also, you should probably not be playing adventure games at all, because that one's just TOO obvious.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Pretty much all Westwood's music at this time, including Lands of Lore and Kyrandia, was done by the talented Frank Klepacki. He also did the C&C and Red Alert soundtracks, including all your favorite classics like Hell March.

Wait, Klepacki did Lands of Lore, Kyrandia, etc. too? Wow, it just sounds so... upbeat and cheery a lot of the time, compared to his relatively dark/heavy fare for the C&C and RA games. Well props to that man, he's quite talented.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really I think all Malcolm wants is somebody to actually banter with instead of just saying "silence, foul fiend".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Oh hey, I remember this game! I found a copy...somewhere...and played up to an irritating cave segment before getting bored and finding something else to do. But I remember the protagonist's cocky tightrope-walking show at the broken bridge. If only all of the arbitrary deaths rewarded you with amusing cutscenes like that.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chapter 4: Wherein the Mystery of the Mirth Cones is Resolved

Last time, we ambled aimlessly around Timbermist Wood, collecting a panoply of the finest bounties the forest has to offer: flowers, nuts and precious gemstones. We also had our first run-in with Malcolm the jester, who sealed off our progress with a wall of ice. Today we're going to start solving a few puzzles and see if we can't break that ice.

The first puzzle we need to solve is to get that quill for Darm. Our best lead on a feather to use as a quill is the wounded songbird we found, but it's being entirely uncooperative, and the only person in Kyrandia who knows squat about songbirds is approximately two hundred years old and spent most of the brief conversation we had with him coughing his lungs out at us. But as it turns out, his rambling did contain the one obscure clue we need to proceed. Have you figured it out?

Music: Deadwood Glade (Tindeck)

If you would harvest, you must sow. We visited Deadwood Glade earlier, but lacked the means to do anything interesting. Now that we have some seeds - specifically an acorn, a walnut, and a pinecone - we can get sowing. Of course, to do this, we'll pick the one spot in the forest that looks as far from arable as possible to do this. At least it has a convenient hole already dug for us, saving us the effort of trying to hunt down a shovel. Let's plonk the walnut in there and see what happens.

I hope this is right...

Upon placing the walnut in the hole, the ground shakes briefly.

Wow! Did I do that?

I'm not entirely sure what kind of plant we're expecting to have sprout from just tossing a walnut in with a pinecone and an acorn, but let's not stop now. The pinecone goes in...

... and finally the acorn. The order actually doesn't seem to matter.

Here goes... I wonder what sort of fertilizer would be best? Hey, something's happening!

Wow, did I do this?

Of course, the horrible mutant walpinacorn talks. Why wouldn't it? It also has the same voice actor as Malcolm and Herman, again.

Video: Pseudobushia Hugiflora (Youtube)

Hello. Are a nut tree or what?
If you must know, I am a Pseudobushia Hugiflora! You don't happen to have any manure, or a couple of old fish? I'm ravenous.
Uhm... sorry.
That's okay. I'll get my roots going. Hey roots, wake up! Time to go to work! I'm starving up here!
Aren't you going to give me something?

Whiny and entitled. That's the Brandon we know all right.

Suddenly, the game makes a bizarre effort to be self-aware and poke fun at the genre. Personally, I think the joke falls a bit flat here, but at least they tried.

... I am instructed to: Thank you for "Restoring Life to the Deadwood Glade" and to "Express our Appreciation" and so forth, and so on, and "In Token of which," I dust you now.

You got it in my nose!

I sure hope Brandon isn't allergic to pollen. Hey, something's changed.

I feel different! Am I stronger now, or what?
I suppose that's up to you. I've done my part, so if you don't mind, I'll get back to my own problems. Come on, roots! Let's get going!

:toot: Getting a face full of nut pollen has unlocked the top jewel in the Royal Amulet! However, it's not entirely clear what it does just yet. Let's give it a try. We click on the jewel...

... and some yellow sparkles appear. I don't feel like we've learned anything.

Gee, this could come in handy if I get hurt.

This is the only hint you get as to the function of the yellow spell. As it turns out, this is the spell of Healing. It's not clear how Brandon knows this, but now that we have it, we can put it to some good use.

... he'll have to give me a feather, won't he?

Sterling logic, Brandon. Let's do it!

Hey, we did it!

Music: Birdsong (Tindeck)

And with that, the songbird ditches Kyrandia forever, leaving behind a single red feather.

Hope this qualifies as a quill.

It drat well better. We went through a lot to get our grubby paws on that. Is this what it's like every time anyone in Kyrandia needs to write something down? No wonder that was the only songbird left. We waste no time ferrying this over to Darm.

Music: Darm's Abode (Tindeck)

Why did I want it?

You are the Master of Scrolls. Write him one to aid his quest.

So that's what the sign was all about.

Of course! You'll need a... Magic Scroll!

For mystics with no magic left you all seem to have an awful lot.

Malcolm's hold grows ever stronger and soon no spells of ours will work.

It's kind of easy to miss, but the scroll is sitting on his desk now as an item we can pick up. When we do, Darm continues talking.

Good. You have the scroll.

She kind of makes it sound like we did something impressive rather than pick up a roll of paper that was like, right there.

Next you'll seek another tool.

Another tool?

We're not done? :sigh:

He must find his birthstones.

You mean BIRTHSTONES.

Never change, Darm.

The seasons have their gems. Place each in order on a plate... or something like that.

Actually, if you could change to be a little more useful, that would be great.

What are my birthstones, and what plate?

Summer is the first. I think I hid that one somewhere near...

I summoned all your stones, but my spell has gone awry. You will have to choose from whatever lies about.

Fantastic. You're very helpful, Darm. Before we try to figure out what he's on about, let's see what that scroll does. Darm and Brandywine have been hyping this thing up quite a bit, so it's got to be something cool.

... something cool, indeed. It makes the air slightly colder. I'm sure that'll be very helpful to us in taking out the massive wall of ice that's blocking our progress.

All right, now that we have the scroll, let's tackle this "birthstones" malarkey. According to Darm, we need to place gems associated with the seasons in order on a plate somewhere, starting with summer. There are four seasons, so we probably need four gems. Haven't we seen four gems and a plate somewhere recently?

This looks like it'll fit the bill. We even have four gemstones in our inventory! We don't really know which gemstone matches each season, but it can't hurt to just try one, right? That garnet looks like it might be summer. It's all bright and red and stuff. Let's try it on the plate. What's the worst that could happen?

Uh oh. Not only did that not work (Brandon's feigned understanding notwithstanding), we lost our garnet. Maybe peridot is summer?

:gonk: Oh god our precious fortune. We can try the remaining two gemstones in our inventory, but the same happens to them, too.

This is not fair! I'm getting tired of this.

Clearly we're missing something. Randomly burning gemstones is not working out for us. We need to apply some logic to this. Are there any stones we've seen that we didn't pick up?

Actually, there are several. For starters, there's that ruby we couldn't get because it was guarded by a vicious tree-snake. We still don't have any way to stop the snake from biting us, but we do have something else that might help us out. We reload our save to get our gemstones back, then return to the ruby tree grove and provoke the snake into biting us again...

... and just like before, we have the ruby, but we're poisoned again and will die if we start moving around. This time, however, we have the Healing spell.

Amazing! The effects of the poison are gone!

I actually think this puzzle is a little clever, even though the first time you fail at it you run the risk of getting stuck with a bad savegame. Rather than find a way to prevent the bad situation from happening, we have to let it happen and fix it afterwards. Now we have a ruby. Next, there's a stone we actually clicked on earlier, but couldn't pick up. Remember the spring where we got the tulips and the amethyst? When we examined the brook, Brandon said this:

That big rock on the bottom looks pretty.

If we go back there and click it now...

It's beautiful...

... we find that the pretty rock is actually a sunstone. Before talking to Darm, it's impossible to pick this up, even if you know it's there. Clicking the brook will just make Brandon examine it ad infinitum. The game is trying to gate the birthstone puzzle so you don't complete it before the quill quest, but this feels like a pretty dumb way of doing it. There's absolutely no visual cue that there's even anything in the water, by the way. Again, click everything, even if it doesn't look like an item.

Well then, are we ready to do the birthstone puzzle? Not quite. There is one thing I have been intentionally ignoring so far throughout this playthrough: any generic wooded area has a chance to spawn a random gemstone at various points in the game. We've seen two of them already... the sapphire and the amethyst appear randomly and we just happened to find them. The only fixed one is the peridot, which always appears alongside the little falling leaf animation. More of them have actually spawned by now, I've just been ignoring them since our inventory space is limited and we haven't needed them before now. There are actually twelve gems in total.

First, we're going to clean up our inventory a bit. We can't carry all the gemstones at the same time, so I'm going to drop all my gemstones on the ground in front of the altar. I'll also discard Kallak's note; we don't need it anymore. All that's left in our inventory now is an apple, a tulip, and the scroll. Now let's randomly run around in the woods looking for precious stones.

First, we find a topaz...

... and a pearl.

We still can't take the emerald, but sitting nearby is an aquamarine.

Going all the way back past Herman's bridge finds us an opal...

... and an onyx.

This diamond brings our total to the full twelve.

That's quite a collection we've gathered, all just lying around in the woods. Darm said something about a spell that was meant to summon the birthstones having gone awry, which I suppose is meant to explain why there are gemstones lying everywhere. Are you guys ready to solve a completely idiotic puzzle? I know I am!

We have twelve stones, and we need to choose four of them to sacrifice to the altar, in the correct order. We need to start with summer, but which is summer? Or fall, winter, or spring, for that matter? We haven't seen anything that links specific stones to seasons.

Solve your birthstones quest! Then return here.

Darm is as useless as before and won't tell us anything either.

Maybe the Google spell can help us. There are many sources on the Internet about birthstones, but they don't all agree with each other and the origins of the whole concept of gemstones corresponding to seasons or months is dubious to begin with. Some websites list months or zodiac signs, not seasons. At least one source did list ruby as the gemstone corresponding to the season of summer, so let's try it.

No go. We can start jamming gems into the plate at random again, which will launch Brandon into another parade of disappointed complaints as his riches turn into ashes:

Why am I doing this? This is depressing. What do I have to do?

We can clue this one out, though; Darm said he hid the summer birthstone, and the only stone we have that could have been said to be hidden is the sunstone, which was at the bottom of a brook. Onto the plate it goes.

What's so hard about that?

Not bad. Sadly, this puzzle is about to board the nine o' clock express to Bullshit Central. We need to put three more gems onto the plate, and we have no idea which gem corresponds to which season.

All right, I'll level with you, folks. This puzzle can't be solved by logic. There aren't any clues in the game that will tell you what the other birthstones are. I briefly considered the idea that this might actually be some good old-fashioned copy protection, where the puzzle can only be solved by consulting the manual. That practice was actually fairly common back in the day. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't say anything about birthstones, and the CD-ROM version doesn't have copy protection.

Looking up the order online won't help either: the order is actually
randomized each game. As far as I can tell, you are expected to solve this puzzle through sheer trial, error, and savescumming. I shouldn't have to tell you why this is bad game design. This barely qualifies as a puzzle. Perhaps you can begin to see why this game isn't fondly remembered alongside its contemporaries.

I'll spare you gifs of randomly trying stones and seeing what sticks. The correct order in my game turns out to be sunstone, garnet, peridot, ruby. I think the sunstone and ruby are always the first and last stones respectively, but the middle two are randomized.

Yes! I placed the last gemstone...

Good job, I guess. Do we get anything out of this?

Oh! What's that?

... it's a flute. Hardly seems worth the effort, to be honest.

A flute? Watch out, Malcolm!

Not even Brandon is impressed. Well, now that we're done with the quest, let's go back and tell Darm about it.

... and I received a flute.

Excellent, Bandon... have you practiced yet?

My name is Brandon sir...

Even Brandon has had enough of Darm's senility.

... and I have not tried playing the flute.

Zanthia knows Alchemy. She could change your name. She lives just across Shadowland I think... or did she move?

Forgive him please... he tries hard.

I knew there was something important in there. Wait, what's this about a labyrinth?

Be very cautious! There are horrible beasts in there!

You're really not selling me on this plan, Brandywine. But I suppose we must. Unfortunately, that flute we just got is exactly what we need to break Malcolm's spell.

Great! That last note shattered the ice! I didn't think my playing was THAT bad.

Isn't that convenient. With the ice shattered, we won't need the flute anymore, so I'm just going to leave it on the ground. Sadly, this means there's no longer anything keeping us out of the next area...

... the Labyrinth. It sure is nice with a change of scenery, though. Next time, we'll have a look inside, and I will be seriously reconsidering doing this Let's Play.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 9, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So if (read: when) you guess the order of the gems incorrectly, you're stuck? Or can you go around and re-collect them all if you're so inclined?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Next time, we'll have a look inside

:getin:

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Seyser Koze posted:

So if (read: when) you guess the order of the gems incorrectly, you're stuck? Or can you go around and re-collect them all if you're so inclined?

The gems won't be permanently destroyed thankfully, but you'll have to waste time searching for them again. If I remember right, they won't be in their original locations either, just to add some extra annoyance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nonononononono not the grotto not the grotto

Oh man this place scared the hell out of me as a little kid. And then frustrated me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

The gems will respawn in random locations throughout the forest. You can re-collect them, but it's an even bigger pain in the rear end than just reloading a savegame.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
That birthstone puzzle is so annoying every time I play this game.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I played games with bullshit puzzles before (like the infamous Yeti Pie of King's Quest), but that's the worst. It's an RNG-based puzzle that pretends there's some kind of internal logic. I wouldn't be surprised if players spent hours looking for the non-existent clues.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hahahahaha... ha... ha. :suicide:

IT BEGINS :unsmigghh:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wow, I must be wearing some serious rose-tinted goggles, because I don't remember the start of Kyrandia being that bad.

Of course, I also don't remember actually ever beating the game...

Maybe the game was so bad that I completely blocked out most memories of it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Judging from the thread's reactions, we seem to have graduated from one bullshit puzzle into another of even finer grade.

I do wonder what will be so bad it's considered unusually terrible by the standards of early 90s adventure game puzzles.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It's been sunstone, garnet, peridot, ruby pretty much every time I've played or seen someone play, I think.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I suspect that might be a side effect of people running it through ScummVM now (and possibly related to the GOG version, which is the one I have). But it's definitely randomized in some way or another, because people have been getting other combinations and there is nothing hinting at it either way.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I suspect that might be a side effect of people running it through ScummVM now (and possibly related to the GOG version, which is the one I have). But it's definitely randomized in some way or another, because people have been getting other combinations and there is nothing hinting at it either way.

Maybe it's a version thing? Or maybe some of the gems can be exchanged for others?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

A triangle is two-dimensional, you dork. The gemstone would have to be a tetrahedron, or some other type of triangular pyramid. :spergin:

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
Oh dear god. THIS place... it was nice knowing you while you were still sane.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
I found the birthstone puzzle much more rage inducing than the grotto, actually. The stone puzzle misleads you into thinking there's a correct solution to be deduced from clues, colour associations, whatever, when it's just a bullshit randomized try until guessed correctly thing. The grotto never pretends to be anything but a tedious map-making exercise :v:

Well ...A pants-wettingly scary map-making exercise if you're a child, but ultimately, just tedious.

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
The Kyrandia series is probably the adventure game pack that got me to start adventuring, way back in the early 90s. Props to you for playing it, and please finish it! It is a piece of my childhood I'd never give up on.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
This is a nice adventure game series but very unforgivable. It's been years since I've played the trilogy but they were enjoyable but in my mind only completable with a walkthrough.

It suffered greatly with a "So you experimented with your inventory in an effort to progress? Well, you made a bad choice and now you can't get that item back!" kind of scenario.

It's been well over a decade since I played these games and I'm glad to see this pop up.

Edit: Also, for some reason this LP has given me flashbacks to my times with the Companions Of Xanth.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Crazy, I had never heard of this game, but I played the Kyrandia MUD way back in the day.

Thanks for the LP.

• Locked thread