Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

I remember playing this when it was included as a freebie in some gaming mag, the vibrant graphics are indeed quite something. The entire thing feels like someone crossed an early Sierra adventure game with some of the later Lucas Arts games and foresaw the interface/gameplay simplification craze from the mid-90s that brought us "masterpieces" such as King's Quest VII. Still, I liked it OK as the game really knocks it out of the park when it comes to atmosphere and dropping your items wherever you wanted was kind of neat. Thanks a lot for LPing this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

As macabre as it may be, that gargoyle death animation is another pretty awesome example of how fluid the animations in this game are. Were there any tools to use for this back in 1992, or was whoever made them just a (slightly messed up) genius? It doesn't look like anything you'd get out of 3D Studio or the likes, or did they maybe render the animation 3D Studio style and draw the pixels over it?

And yes, I have no clue whatsoever how animating things works.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Well, I do know how the concept of how classic cel animation works (in theory), but still, I'd imagine that if somewhat chunky pixels on a computer screen are all you have to work with, it might be a lot harder to come up with something that looks as smooth as it does here. I'm sure there were special programs designed for making animations back then, but like I said, I have no clue what they were.

• Locked thread