Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'd like to ##intercept cellphones. Does anyone disagree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

How about: payphones?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I wish I had more information about what we get if we're right vs. what scum can do with each option, but for D1 limiting their options and catching them if they're greedy seems like a good choice.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Little Mac posted:

Does anyone disagree?

Has the scum chosen which one to use already?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sam. posted:

Yes. Start of day.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

I wish I had more information about what we get if we're right vs. what scum can do with each option, but for D1 limiting their options and catching them if they're greedy seems like a good choice.

How do we limit their options? An I missing something?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Sam. posted:

TT posted:

Before each day starts, the scum will choose how they're communicating for that day.

I feel like it makes sense to always select cellphones as it always puts the scum team at a disadvantage. Without knowing all of the direct mechanics, I believe a guaranteed disadvantage for the scum is better than a possible benefit for town.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Magnus Gallant posted:

How do we limit their options? An I missing something?

The OP.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

You mean limit them tomorrow?

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Magnus Gallant posted:

You mean limit them tomorrow?

No, the OP literally says that all of the other options have a disadvantage compared to cellphones, how do you think that's achieved?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ixtlilton posted:

No, the OP literally says that all of the other options have a disadvantage compared to cellphones, how do you think that's achieved?

It's the wording that's confusing me. We aren't limiting their options if they've already made their choice. I gotcha now.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

##intercept: cellphones seems good to me.

Ardulac
May 31, 2005

"There is a difference between fear and caution."

Magnus Gallant posted:

It's the wording that's confusing me. We aren't limiting their options if they've already made their choice. I gotcha now.
It's pretty much just punishing them if they're greedy. It was my initial thought as well, but I'm a bit nervous about the general sense of agreement. I think I'd rather go payphones at this point, but I'll wait and see if anyone else has any thoughts.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The only option that explicitly says it helps scum is cellphones, so with nothing to go on it seems like the best option to go with D1, particularly since the only penalty for guessing incorrectly is not getting info. I don't get why general agreement should make you nervous.

Ardulac
May 31, 2005

Tremendous Taste posted:

Before each day starts, the scum will choose how they're communicating for that day. They may choose to use:
Cellphones: Disposable "burner" cellphones are the easiest way to talk freely. These are the best choice for the scum, and are most advantageous.
Payphones: Payphones are relatively easy to use. Slightly disadvantageous to scum, but altogether a safer method than cell phones.
Meetings: In-person meetups are time consuming and cumbersome. This method is the least desirable for the scum, and they must make a sacrifice when they choose it. Still, the safest method of all.
Lack of a penalty is a benefit for Scum as well, making payphones the middle option.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

We're pretty much blind guessing on the risk/reward here, so I'm going to assign values here and sperg out for a second to help figure out which one I'd prefer. I'm estimating some odds here, if you disagree let me know.

So we've go option 1, which I'm assigning a value of 3 to the scum team for.
Option 2 which I'm assigning a value of 2 for.
And option 3 which I'm assigning a value of 1 for.

If town is correct I'm going to go ahead and give it a value of 3 for town, 0 otherwise, because I don't think TT would make it so that the penalties of choosing meetings would outweigh the benefit to town of choosing correctly, because otherwise scum would never pick it.

If I were scum I would estimate that town would pick option 1 60% of the time and option 2 40% of the time, making the values for their decision-making process like this:

3-3*.6=1.2

2-3*.4=0.8

1-3*0=1

From these highly speculative calculations it would appear that scum's best choice is still payphones. However, from the OP it can be gleaned that perhaps more information is gained from the higher level options with a correct, and changing the calculation to reflect this puts payphones on par with cellphones. However, it is important to note that with these stupid meaningless numbers the disadvantage for choosing meetings is minimal and provides an extra value outside of mechanics: town is wrong no matter what if they choose safe options, and you get people who look bad no matter what, and there's doubt about the people on the other side no matter what.

And that's a lot of words that don't mean much and aren't really helping me decide which one I'd prefer. Flavor-wise I feel like we'd be remiss if we didn't choose the one we feel like scum is most likely to choose which is probably payphones, but cellphones is still the safest option and if we chose payphones and they chose cellphones I'd feel really dumb.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Little Mac posted:

I'd like to ##intercept cellphones. Does anyone disagree?

I agree.

##intercept: cellphones

It seems like the safest option, to deny them their best possible outcome, and if we also caught them going for the gusto, all the better.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

There's no way to reliably be able to guess what they'll pick. I think, at least for day one, going for the thing that gives them the most reward is the best way to go. Who knows what they get from it, but nullifying that option before they even have a chance to see us discuss it (since they picked it prior to day one) is a good idea.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
It's really probably a crapshoot the first day and I'm inclined not to trust anybody trying to steer it towards a certain way so early when we have a lot of time to decide things~

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dammit did I miss jokephase? *tosses vote for Fast Luck in the bin*

The way I see it this whole wiretap thing is just a big ball of WIFOM. But I like Somberbrero's reasoning about cutting off their advantage. So I'll just go with ##intercept cellphones for today.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I like the logic but at the same time it would be pretty ballsy for scum to go for best option on day 1.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

DuckHuntDog posted:

Thanks, TT!

##vote Opop

See you all D2.

I think Opop nearly got turboed d1 in the league. Is this some unwritten rule?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

##intercept payphones
Mac, Mac I don't trust you. Mac.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
To me it seems obvious the most logical choice a town would make is to tap cellphones, so I don't think the scum are using cell phones.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Magnus Gallant posted:

To me it seems obvious the most logical choice a town would make is to tap cellphones, so I don't think the scum are using cell phones.

Rarity posted:

this whole wiretap thing is just a big ball of WIFOM

I think people should just make their own decisions without talking about it too much. Scum could easily focus the thread on this vote to keep us from scum hunting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I feel that ##intercept: payphones is the way to go. No reasoning, just my gut.

gently caress.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I was thinking perhaps the higher up they go in terms of communication the more of their power roles they can't use.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If that guess is correct then maybe this is a day they'd be willing to sacrifice a power role so I'll vote
##intercept: payphones
as well

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Rarity posted:

I think people should just make their own decisions without talking about it too much. Scum could easily focus the thread on this vote to keep us from scum hunting.

I think this is an important point for day 2 onwards. The extra info should be treated as bonus otherwise it could end up as a wild goose chase.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rarity posted:

I agree with this. I won't fight for cellphones, even though I think it's the obvious scum choice - but I guess that's WIFOM in a nutshell. I'll vote with a majority on this.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Dugong posted:

I think Opop nearly got turboed d1 in the league. Is this some unwritten rule?

It is not a rule, and I didn't actually expect anyone to turbo Opop.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I was hoping people would join on the always tap cellphones reasoning and that would likely set scum up to pick payphones so we could switch tomorrow if we didn't catch them today. Since that seems unlikely now I think either cellphones or payphones is a good choice today, but it is all wifom to guess which. Trying to implement RPS strategy by committee without discussing it is pretty hard.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

##intercept: cellphones I like Sombers reasoning to try to deny scum any advantage.

DuckHuntDog posted:

I was hoping people would join on the always tap cellphones reasoning and that would likely set scum up to pick payphones so we could switch tomorrow if we didn't catch them today. Since that seems unlikely now I think either cellphones or payphones is a good choice today, but it is all wifom to guess which. Trying to implement RPS strategy by committee without discussing it is pretty hard.

We are just over, what, 12 hours into Day 1 with two full days left until the end of it and you've already given up on your plan? Heck before my post it's only 4 vs 3 on the vote (now 5 v 3), seems really early to throw in the towel on anything. About a third of the players haven't even posted since the day started.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It only works if it looks like everyone will always pick cellphones and not just pick it for today, and the half-earnest reasoning for doing that was falling flat. Pushing hard is only going to drive people away, too.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
##intercept: payphones

I think the scum would have played it safe day one.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Deadbeat Dad posted:

It's really probably a crapshoot the first day and I'm inclined not to trust anybody trying to steer it towards a certain way so early when we have a lot of time to decide things~

Real talk, I don't like that tilde and I'm being completely serious. I also don't get the point of saying "Don't discuss the weird mechanic in this game, because we have lots of time to talk about the weird mechanic in the game." Steering the decision is not necessarily a play indicative of alignment, I think there's a lot of interesting discussion to be had in what interception decisions mean.

Obviously, scum have more invested in this decision than we might. However, there's little means to determine investment. I know that if I were scum, I would say "idk, gut call," or make some goofy WIFOM argument. However, I think I might make some of those arguments as town as well. Regardless, public mechanics are a great way to start actual discussion on day one.

Anyway, ##vote Deadbeat Dad.

Rarity, here's the deal. Anytime I read a post you make, I think you're scum. In Something Rotten and in my readalong in Battleship, I was convinced you were scum. You weren't! So, I'm going to take a TUMS, let my gut settle, and ride this out until endgame.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I agree with ##intercept payphones

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

Rarity, here's the deal. Anytime I read a post you make, I think you're scum.

Don't worry, you're not the only one :P

Somberbrero posted:

I think there's a lot of interesting discussion to be had in what interception decisions mean.

The problem with this is right now we have no way to know what people's votes indicate because we don't know what scum chose. Maybe Little Mac is trying to steer us away from one of the other options, maybe he's not. We have no way of knowing right now so I don't see how trying to make a judgment about it is possible.

Ardulac
May 31, 2005

Rarity posted:

I strongly disagree. Anything that increases discussion is good. Using the intercept talk isn't a certain way to catch Scum, but outside of night information there are few certainties. It's like any other vote; voting wrong isn't a Scum tell by itself, but it can work its way into an argument.

##intercept:payphones
Preview Edit:

Rarity posted:

The problem with this is right now we have no way to know what people's votes indicate because we don't know what scum chose. Maybe Little Mac is trying to steer us away from one of the other options, maybe he's not. We have no way of knowing right now so I don't see how trying to make a judgment about it is possible.
But we will have some indication at the end of the Day (sort of like with a flip).

Tremendous Taste posted:

At the time of the lynch cardflip, the town will also know whether the correct intercept method was chosen. At the start of the next day, the town will see any results from that intercept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm not trying to steer necessarily, but I wanted to open discussion on the main game mechanic with my thoughts: were I scum, I'd always pick cellphones on the off chance we'd get a huge advantage. I mean, we have a 1/3 chance of guessing correctly while they have a 2/3 chance of us guessing incorrectly. With the odds like that, why not go for the gold?

• Locked thread