Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I didn't read the first one but it looked really frigging cool.

also I want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Here I go, giving a gently caress.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

chaoslord posted:

Confirming. I'm curious to see how long Ecco keeps up the "Aidan Gillen alternative universe" thing.

Until he inevitably gets a ton of 'comedy option Ecco' votes and gets mad.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Sam. posted:

Has the scum chosen which one to use already?

TT posted:

Before each day starts, the scum will choose how they're communicating for that day.

I feel like it makes sense to always select cellphones as it always puts the scum team at a disadvantage. Without knowing all of the direct mechanics, I believe a guaranteed disadvantage for the scum is better than a possible benefit for town.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Deadbeat Dad posted:

It's really probably a crapshoot the first day and I'm inclined not to trust anybody trying to steer it towards a certain way so early when we have a lot of time to decide things~

Real talk, I don't like that tilde and I'm being completely serious. I also don't get the point of saying "Don't discuss the weird mechanic in this game, because we have lots of time to talk about the weird mechanic in the game." Steering the decision is not necessarily a play indicative of alignment, I think there's a lot of interesting discussion to be had in what interception decisions mean.

Obviously, scum have more invested in this decision than we might. However, there's little means to determine investment. I know that if I were scum, I would say "idk, gut call," or make some goofy WIFOM argument. However, I think I might make some of those arguments as town as well. Regardless, public mechanics are a great way to start actual discussion on day one.

Anyway, ##vote Deadbeat Dad.

Rarity, here's the deal. Anytime I read a post you make, I think you're scum. In Something Rotten and in my readalong in Battleship, I was convinced you were scum. You weren't! So, I'm going to take a TUMS, let my gut settle, and ride this out until endgame.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

Don't worry, you're not the only one :P

The problem with this is right now we have no way to know what people's votes indicate because we don't know what scum chose. Maybe Little Mac is trying to steer us away from one of the other options, maybe he's not. We have no way of knowing right now so I don't see how trying to make a judgment about it is possible.

Yeah, I agree and I said as much in the following paragraph, but I still think this is more fun and informative than pretending like we don't all hate each other for a couple days.

Little Mac posted:

I think my thought process is what I would push the group to pick if I were scum. But I am very bad scum so maybe I should pick the opposite.

Without knowing the actual benefits, I agree that I would pick cell phones every day.

My outright guess as to what a successful interception means is that town gets to read scumchat, and scum can't use their full range of power roles if they take a disadvantage, because that's how I'd design this game.

Based on that complete assumption, as scum I would choose to take payphones or a face-to-face meet, as early game communication would be essential to establishing codes for communication that would inhibit the town's advantage of a successful interception. At the start of the game, a roleblock or godfather power is not the most useful thing in the world. Obviously you risk being hit by a potshot investigation, but the odds will never be better in your favor than day one. The only really useful scum role on night one would be something like a rolecop or tracker.

I dunno. I'm leaning towards a face-to-face meet, but like someone else said, I would feel very stupid if scum chose cellphones.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ardulac posted:

You're pretty much advocating a Day 1 turbo here. The more discussion we have, the more poo poo we can point to tomorrow.

hahahaha what

##unvote ##vote Ardulac that's the most ridiculous misinterpretation I've ever seen in a mafia game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

##intercept: payphones :rolleye:

Sombre, are you making a betrayer joke or are you an idiot?

Being an idiot.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

It's one of those things like :rolleyes: that town don't often use. It's an issue of tone more than anything.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ardulac posted:

She is encouraging people to just vote for something without discussion, which removes a huge source of information. It's not identical to a turbo, but it's similarly bad for information gathering.

That's disingenuous. There's a huge, blatantly apparent difference between saying "turbo go go go end day!" and recognizing that we're essentially playing rock-paper-scissors with this mechanic on day one. I agree that discussion of the interceptions is important, but it also won't help with scumhunting today and I'm not sure what else could really be said on the subject right now. Rarity was also very clear about her motivations.

That's incidental to why I'm voting you. You know Rarity isn't advocating a turbo, you say as much here, so why would you imply it? It all feels manufactured.

Ardulac posted:

Is this a description of your vote on me or your earlier vote on Deadbeat Dad?

In relation to DBD, nothing to do with you.

Ardulac posted:

Oh, and the :rolleyes: thing is just inaccurate. I'm more cautious about using things like that when I'm Scum, and I'm willing to bet that lots of other people are the same way.

I understand it is anecdotal evidence in both directions, but it's a gut call and my guts demand satisfaction.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Did I even play in those games? I swear to god I don't remember. Maybe you're mixing me up with DHD. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Something Rotten and Battleship were in reference to Rarity, sorry for the confusion!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Deadbeat Dad posted:

If you read through my games I basically think D1 is a crapshoot as well (which people think is scummy for some reason) unless somebody fucks up hardcore but less so this game because of the mechanic. So I'm not saying don't discuss the mechanic - just that in my notes everything in D1 is a loving crapshoot. After the first day is when you see how people respond to a good or bad read with better result/things to go off of.

I totally get that, a townie almost always dies on day one and more often than not the lynch is more of a "why not?"

Just to talk playstyles for a second though, I like to stir up as much poo poo as I can on day one, because it's the only time I'm guaranteed to be alive and the more content players produce, the better the chance of finding scum. Obviously day two content is so much more useful than day one content, but you've got to start somewhere.

That's why I voted you, I've got to start somewhere and I didn't like the tone of that post. The mechanics stuff was incidental. Statistically, you're more likely to be town than scum and I recognize that I'm bad enough at this game that I am either wrong or right for the wrong reasons. But, that's mafia. Let us proceed forward in the spirit of mutual hatred and understanding.

Ardulac posted:

You may notice I didn't vote Rarity based on what I said. I was trying to explain to her why I thought her reasoning was bad, not build a case on her based on what she was saying. I'm leaning Town on Rarity at the moment, though that's mostly gut.

I really don't like this post either, sorry dude! We can argue whether or not you intended to imply alignment with that original post, but I feel that you did. This just feels like pedaling to me.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dorkanoid posted:

This post feels a bit off to me; I'm half wanting to agree with you, and half vote you: While you say you want to stir up poo poo, this post reads like you're hedging your bets a bit too heavily - and indeed pedaling a bit...

It's funny that your main complaint here is me hedging my bets when you can't make up your mind on what you want to say about me. I'm down to vote dbd or ardy and I feel like I said as much, since I've voted them both.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ixtlilton posted:

This might be the most worthless post I've seen while Mafia. Rarity, what do you think about Ardulac?

This might be the most worthless post I've seen while playing Mafia. Ardulac, what do you think about Ixtlilton?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If Ixt and CP are both voting me then I am clearly doing The Lord's Work.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dorkanoid posted:

Basically I'm complaining that you don't stir up enough poo poo - it's not really stirring poo poo if you do it by pushing a button in a separate room!

The disconnect between the :commissar: "I'm stirring poo poo up" and the :ohdear: "Statistically, you're more likely to be town than scum and I recognize that I'm bad enough at this game that I am either wrong or right for the wrong reasons." was what prompted my post.

Okay that makes sense, thank you.

Yeah, I can't really argue. I'm just taking a more open approach to mafia, I get why that seems scummy though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I feel real weird about payphones taking a heavy lead.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

It seems fairly close and I don't really get what your point is? Something has to take a lead at some point.

I feel like most people who made strong mechanics arguments argued more in favor of cellphones as opposed to payphones, and 7 to 10 isn't close. Payphones just seem kinda silly to me for the previously stated reasons.

I mean, DHD is right, but it's something I noticed and wanted to call out right now.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Oh hey, Saturday night deadline. Didn't realize that. Sorry Hurt!

DHD the reason I held onto my vote is because that's the smartest way to play it. Your vote has more meaning once you see what's up near the end of the day.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
:ghost:

And suddenly, there were no more fucks to give.

Give 'em hell.

:ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Any reason I was the nightkill target or was it largely random?

• Locked thread