Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
If there's still a spot, I'm down in B-town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Money a lil late today.

Confirming.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
It's really probably a crapshoot the first day and I'm inclined not to trust anybody trying to steer it towards a certain way so early when we have a lot of time to decide things~

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Somberbrero posted:

Real talk, I don't like that tilde and I'm being completely serious. I also don't get the point of saying "Don't discuss the weird mechanic in this game, because we have lots of time to talk about the weird mechanic in the game." Steering the decision is not necessarily a play indicative of alignment, I think there's a lot of interesting discussion to be had in what interception decisions mean.

Obviously, scum have more invested in this decision than we might. However, there's little means to determine investment. I know that if I were scum, I would say "idk, gut call," or make some goofy WIFOM argument. However, I think I might make some of those arguments as town as well. Regardless, public mechanics are a great way to start actual discussion on day one.

Anyway, ##vote Deadbeat Dad.

Rarity, here's the deal. Anytime I read a post you make, I think you're scum. In Something Rotten and in my readalong in Battleship, I was convinced you were scum. You weren't! So, I'm going to take a TUMS, let my gut settle, and ride this out until endgame.

Did I even play in those games? I swear to god I don't remember. Maybe you're mixing me up with DHD. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Somberbrero posted:

Real talk, I don't like that tilde and I'm being completely serious. I also don't get the point of saying "Don't discuss the weird mechanic in this game, because we have lots of time to talk about the weird mechanic in the game." Steering the decision is not necessarily a play indicative of alignment, I think there's a lot of interesting discussion to be had in what interception decisions mean.

Also I want to address this - I don't disagree with that in the slightest - the mechanic will basically ensure more serious play early on, and thus better reads throughout D1. I

If you read through my games I basically think D1 is a crapshoot as well (which people think is scummy for some reason) unless somebody fucks up hardcore but less so this game because of the mechanic. So I'm not saying don't discuss the mechanic - just that in my notes everything in D1 is a loving crapshoot. After the first day is when you see how people respond to a good or bad read with better result/things to go off of.

But I was sort of alluding to, in my post, that the cellphone/payphone discussion/votes being the big factor didn't have to start so early - it could've started at any point - and that it's at least a little interesting it started early. Naturally I felt like I personally, would come to my decision later on in the day.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Somberbrero posted:

Something Rotten and Battleship were in reference to Rarity, sorry for the confusion!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Be forewarned, If I post like an idiot it's because my eye is half open and my nose/mouth is leaking continuously cause I work in the food industry and tourists have gangbanged me with sickness

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DuckHuntDog posted:

##unvote

Ard jumped out at me a bit with his comment about being "nervous" w/r/t intercept discussion because It seems to me like scum have more to lose (we get info with the right intercept, scum get some bonus only if they pick cellphones), but his posting since then has seemed genuine to me.

Admittedly beaten to this by Somberbrero, this post bothers me with both minimizing the importance of the intercept choice as a crapshoot, but also wanting to spend more time on it, that it reads a bit like confusing what his actual motivation is because he isn't being open. I also don't like the part excusing himself for being sick, because I have definitely used similar true-but-exaggerated excuses as scum (but I do hope you feel better, I am not callous!). I would like to see DBD post more that isn't just a self-defense.

The only way I can get myself involved in games is from self defense actually (as town, mostly). Any case I make towards somebody d1 would be bullshit unless they're overtly scummy for some reason, and that hasn't happened yet. You'll know if I don't like somebody, I don't need to be prodded to get involved. I like to try and prove my innocence, for whatever that's worth, as early as possible (for town's sake, which is a hard thing to do) and prove people wrong that get attached to a case on me - I've gotten into it with merk in particular many-a-time where both of us are at each other's throats and we're both town.

It also helps on reading people on how they interact with you - I've made a lot of OMGUS-y votes that seem like a vendetta because of them voting me but I have a personal list of traits that scum like to use to try to push a vote. It's had decent success, and when I don't go with my gut I really regret it. That works for me more than just combing through D1 posts where people are more likely to bus or play unlike their faction.

I don't mind starting on the backfoot. I do agree more people should be posting though. I looked at the player list today only to realize how many people haven't really posted yet.

Tisn't really much defending from a tilde or a post about how sick I am besides it being an forewarned excuse of being incapacitated for a response or being hopped up on a lot of nyquil and not making structural sentences.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Actually more people have been involved than I thought, just their posts sort of blended in thus far.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Except I said I'd be involved just not in the method you want? I think 6 years of playing mafia on here has entrenched me into a certain playstyle and I'm not going to change it because it doesn't look good in your eyes. This potential back and forth is giving me as much information as me going through your post and going HMM, I DONT LIKE HOW YOU ADDED THIS COMMA HERE.

Your reaction towards my post is pretty bad - not going to lie. First you said I'm not interacting (I am) and not making effort which is also a lie. The only thing you can misconstrue as not making effort is my D1 strategy towards picking people's posts apart at the speed you would like.

And I can't reach post counts but I assume I'm entrenched firmly in the middle and have been reacting and responding to posts with more than one sentence. Please do not act like I am lurking because you'd be lying to yourself.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Rarity posted:

Agreed. People seem to think that voting for an intercept is all they need to do to participate.

And you said I called people out for posting which is exactly what you did after calling me out. Not counting posts before the game starts, you probably have about 3-4 more posts with significantly less :words: so, I mean.. pot.. kettle..

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Rarity posted:

You've used a whole lotta words to say precisely nothing. So far the grand total of your contribution is 'I'm not scum'. Mafia isn't about getting the most words into a post, it's about adding content that matters. And personally, I find it's easier to make a point when you keep it brief.

To make this convo end since we clearly won't see eye to eye - it seems you have a problem with my playstyle or else you'd be on my case way more or voting me right now, which would actually make me think you're more town than I think you are currently.

I clearly wrote in a post I like starting on the backfoot and get my conclusions from defense and you still have been saying I'm not contributing or attempting to find scum because I'm not making a case from thin air. What you see as saying nothing or being defensive is me interacting and gaining information. That in itself is strange to me that you can't drop it and accept that. It's a D1 thing - not a game long thing.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Somberbrero posted:

I feel like most people who made strong mechanics arguments argued more in favor of cellphones as opposed to payphones, and 7 to 10 isn't close. Payphones just seem kinda silly to me for the previously stated reasons.

I mean, DHD is right, but it's something I noticed and wanted to call out right now.

Didnt you argue for scum using payphones? Now you're saying it's silly and weird? Or are you saying so many people were in favor of cellphones that it's a weird lead?

I'm leaning towards payphones personally - second easiest to use, safe method - seems like something scum would pick day 1.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

EccoRaven posted:

As the day continued, the absentee father advanced a silly line of thinking: paidphones are the second easiest, so the gang would likely use them. And yet, we again are left with a wine situation - the gang, knowing we'd know that, would try to anticipate us and choose the easiest celled phone option. And so on, cyclically.

"The proper way to deal with it," I explained, "knowing nothing else about the rogues, is to ignore anticipating what they 'would' have done, and instead focus on cost-benefits. If we choose the paid phones, and we are mistaken because the brigands chose the celled phones, then we are not only thwarted once, but twice, as the gang can operate with impunity tonight. Knowing nothing else, the prudent measure is to cover that possibility."

Despite it being the second easiest, it's the safest method as well, would contribute to a "cost benefit" factor to the scum. The end all be all isn't what I'm anticipating them doing, but I'm pretty sure that it's a combined factor. I don't feel there is a right (picking correct) way to go about finding the best route to take besides people trying to steer away a vote towards something they didn't choose.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

EccoRaven posted:

If they chose the celled phones, we are hurt significantly. If we choose celled phones and are wrong, at least the gang is hampered in some way."[/i]

I actually overlooked this entirely.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DuckHuntDog posted:

DBD has been waffling on it and hard to engage in the game in general, which could just be a bit of D1 apathy.

Not so much. As soon as Ecco posted the reasoning of why cellphones is a better choice D1 it makes sense - at least more than me thinking scum would pick payphones since it's more of a neutral choice. Ecco made me waffle and now I think it's the best choice after not giving it much thought until yesterday evening before sleeping.

##intercept cellphones

As far as regular voting goes - I already don't like Rarity, but I too will give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he has an inflated sense of effort/work he's put in D1 what comes down to a few posts quoting somebody saying "I don't like this post". And when it comes down to it, votes the most quiet person that isn't a newbie, which isn't much effort and doesn't have any bearing on scum. Don't think cat would catch Opop's tongue if he's scum (I don't remember his playstyle) but him not forming opinions isn't really a scum tell. It's more of a newbie trait.

My vote is for Dugong.

##vote Dugong

Dugong posted:

Let's lynch the person with the lowest posts.

(I bet this ends up being me).

Dugong posted:

My bad. I will change my vote when I get on a computer

Sort of nervous jokey posting. Really has 0 involvement on anybody he's found scummy, hasn't voted (a lot of newbie scum put off voting for some odd reason, I know I just voted right now, but I've been in more than a few back and forth conversations trying to read people) and for having a few posts talking with Rarity, I'm surprised Rarity hasn't called him out for literally not having a stance towards anybody.

Speaking of Rarity just want to point out, he did post this..

Rarity posted:

It was between you and Opop for me, based on neither of you contributing anything worthwhile. I've never seen you play before so I figured I'd give you the benefit of doubt and go with the guy I know should know better.

Rarity posted:

I'm thinking that scum have jumped in and voted, rather than trying to abstain. They know holding off on voting is going to draw attention. On D1 they'll just want to blend in.

And that.

With me not voting until now, and drawing a decent amount of attention by being so defensive doesn't seem like making me the best 'other option' from Opop. Especially when I can name 5 other posters that haven't put any real thorough opinions out there.

Not sure if you're scummy or scattered.

I also want to hear from Dr. Hurt - not very active, said he'd post today. Nothing yet.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Rarity posted:

You realise the hammers already come down on that vote, right?

Read the few posts above me after the vote, too late to edit that though.

Rarity posted:

Opop isn't a newbie by any stretch of the definition. As for Dugong, he is a newbie which is why he gets a little bit of room to find his feet.

I think it's the opposite - especially after giving newbies benefit of the doubt and them flipping scum more than a few times, I try not to let it cloud my judgment on tells.

Rarity posted:

Honestly, I hadn't picked up on the fact you hadn't put down an intercept vote yet. It's hard to keep track of without a votefinder and I'd rather spend my time on the actual content people post.

With the lack of voting activity going around so far, is there any way we don't no lynch tonight?

The games been decently active just not with votes - I think they'll pour in soon, I hope.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
How do people feel towards Dugong? Semi-active but hasn't really pointed any fingers .. all of these votes seem sort of out of nowhere and scrambled towards whatever low posting person hasn't showed up to the thread yet to defend themselves.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
We should give McNulty an Irish wake.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

Well if Hurt isn't brought back to life I'll be ready to vote Ard. I'm not misunderstanding Ard's claim, am I? He said he could restore a "fired" player back into vanilla town, I assume that means a lynched player.

Yeah, he said BEFORE D3, so either him or whoever's lynched D2 - but don't see why he would wait. Doesn't seem like he can bring back night action'd dudes.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
So I still don't like Dugong's posts today. He or she still hasn't even ACKNOWLEDGED any post I made towards them and when I asked anybody about their thoughts on them that got ignored too. What the heck!! Am I alive!!! Is this thing on!!!

!!!!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

IcePhoenix posted:

I voted payphones on a gut instinct and didn't see any significant reason to change my vote before it was hammered. I'm sure I would have changed my vote if it mattered but you probably don't care! Actually you probably do, since you keep saying we shouldn't let discussion of the intercepts drive us but you have on multiple occasions brought conversation back to them. You're really aggressive and that seems kinda scummy to me!

But then, there's Sam., who said all of two things on the first day. In fact his last post was five days ago. And both his posts were incredibly low content. So that's who I'd start with today.

##intercept: cellphones

##vote: Sam.

I don't mind this post as a prod vote but taking out another lurker for the gently caress of it doesn't seem like the best action to take as far as finding scum.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
So we're not suppose to go back and read the first Wire, and this might be a better PM to TT than here but whatever, did getting a few messages from over the wire mean we picked the right one (meaning like, would there be NOTHING picked up if we picked the wrong one?) or are all 3 methods used and we just got the cellphone one since that was majority but it wasn't the actual method used? The only reason I'm asking is because on the OP it says VALUABLE information and I don't see how any of that is valuable when it's just somebody telling another person how PERSON 1 should kill.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

Omg I hope someone is Ziggy.

I want me some Brother Mouzone.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Thanks.

Wonder if it's worth it to read into the voices anyway. Specifically voice 3 but no clue what "Thinking 25" is towards. Voice 2 sounds like a mafia vet. That's all I got.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

##vote Dugong

I actually appreciate the huge effortpost and actually responding to me but you're still doing the one thing that is making me so shaky of you in the first place - you seem afraid to get your hands dirty like you have something to hide. You mentioned you think Somb might have been taken out because he was on to something so he might have got capped for that and mention me and Ard. Okay cool. But you voted for neither of us after that. You haven't voted for anybody this entire game. You just seem really unsure and afraid to ruffle feathers. If you think he got killed because he made posts towards Ard and me early on that's a good place to start to look (although I'm obviously going to say that's wrong, since it is) - I would have expected a vote towards me or Ard SINCE you wrote almost a paragraph about it.. but nothing.

If the case is that you talked yourself out of it while writing it.. then who are you leaning towards now?

Another person I'm pained to sort of be looking at is my homie Little Mac. I didn't realize he was in the game until I was scrolling through posts and saw him. He has been doing the weird Random Capitalization things in his posts that Fast Luck was looking at in posts earlier. He's a smart dude and I can see the "voice 2" potentially being him. But I've worked weird hours and haven't really been around the same time as him in thread so maybe that's adding to the not really noticing him thing.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Asiina posted:

Oh my god that was stupid, but I made it.

Okay so I don't know what the count is but ##intercept: cellphones.

I also probably would have shot Opop, I don't blame KingB. Opop had contributed less than nothing both days.

Based on the whole exchange afterwards I think Ixt is town but an idiot and Meds is town but an rear end in a top hat.

Ecco's fanfic is annoying. CPig's empty voting is baffling.

But honestly it's DBD who I want to vote for because he makes posts with a lot of words that say absolutely nothing, and then when one of the newer people calls him out on saying nothing he comes back with "kid this is how I've always played I'm not changing now."

I don't buy it.

##vote DBD

Somb had a problem and then I said what I said and he understood.

Also, what newer people besides Rarity? Rarity was basically pleading to play a different playstyle and I said I play defensive, I'm not going to comb through posts (like you are doing) and add nothing but "I like this" or "I don't like this" which has zero merit in the game when you are not confirmed town.

I said my D1 playstyle I'm getting involved from more defensive posts, as the day wound down I found somebody I didn't like playstyle wise and called them out on it and have continued to look at people.

Please compound on where I'm saying words that are nothing, compared to a post with something, TIA.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
##intercept payphones. I think several people mentioned just to keep picking cellphones since it's the most advantageous to keep blocking but if scum try to meta it and think that town would continue picking that option, I think going payphones where nothing would be broadcasted at all (IF cellphones was majority) is a no brainer.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Seriously though Asiina, statements like that make me want to vote you as much as I wanted to vote Rarity out of semi-OMGUS since I'm not over here going "look at this fuckin' playstyle, I refuse to get involved".

You are basically rehashing an argument that holds even less weight now since I had not played defensive since then and have been involved to an extent that seems certainly more than "nothing" which I'd still like you to explain, preferentially compared to your posts.

I explained myself to Somb and he understood - I just stopped the back and forth with Rarity since it just seemed like she had a problem with my playstyle rather than anything else (all of the content, something/nothing/activity quips were all opinions that I felt towards her as well D1) and as a whole were strange to me since basically 5 people voted while there were like 15 people scrounging a vote up with a few hours to go with zero to little actual good discussion towards a legit candidate.

Which is why I don't get your method of "catching up". There's a lot to look at when there's a scum flip and you can see possible defenses or bussing between people - you just read the back and forth discussion, exaggerated my defense with "kid this is how I've always played I'm not changing now." and then echoed opinions that in my eyes at least, didn't warrant itself in the first place.

Going to bed since I work late evenings which is why I'm cramming all of this in here. Can continue this tomorrow night!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Woke back up.

Rarity posted:

Magnus, please either start playing or replace out.

No, that was exactly your defence. I think the problem here is what you consider 'meaningless babble' is what most people consider 'playing mafia'. I still can't work out if it's you being scummy or just you being you.

Please read this post carefully so we're not going through the same issues again in future games.

Because you have read what you wanted to read when I've tried to explain myself and it's yet to get through to you apparently and it's grating that somehow the problem now is me considering things "meaningless babble" - two words I have not uttered, nor accused anybody of, rather asking why people like you and Asiina are saying I'm posting "nothing".

It's beyond me how Somb got it in one post and I've had continual back and forth posts with you and you've still yet to come to grips or be like "I understand this is how you gathered information ON DAY 1 WITH NOTHING GOING ON YET BESIDES INTERCEPT TALK" - I had to stop replying to get you to drop it. Here I thought you understood but I guess not.

You initially wrote this:

"Just because you don't have much to work with doesn't mean you can't interact with people and start figuring them out"

"It sounds like you're trying to make pre-emptive excuses for not participating"

I wrote this before that:

The only way I can get myself involved in games is from self defense actually (here I mean D1) Any case I make towards somebody d1 would be bullshit unless they're overtly scummy for some reason, and that hasn't happened yet. You'll know if I don't like somebody, I don't need to be prodded to get involved.

1. That was YOUR initial problem with me. "IT SOUNDS LIKE" is proof in itself. Two statements that are inaccurate. I never said I would not participate or not interact. I said I interact through self defense BUT if there was somebody I didn't like you would know because I would post about it and be active. Which I was/am.

2. My followup post after your post was me saying I'm playing defensive because I realized thats the only way I can start being active d1 as town. The ongoing back and forth was because you started to add in personal opinions about post count, content and other things that I took issue with because it was your opinion and you spoke like it was fact. And the fact that you ignored the 14 other people not voting or putting much effort into looking into people was a weird tell to me.

3. My "defensive playstyle" only lasted half of D1 before I voted somebody that I did not interact with through defending myself from a statement (Dugong).

4. I wrote "you'll know if I don't like somebody, I don't need to be prodded to get involved" - Dugong is the person that had rubbed me the wrong way by the end of D1 and I brought up some valid reasons, in my opinion of why, and asked the opinion of others since I was the only one voting him and got 0 response. I only seem to get a response when I'm defending myself like in these sort of posts.

That's 4 examples of why I'm just going to dead the issue right now. I addressed this ad nauseam on this page alone and if somehow, all of that makes you want to vote me, I'm fine with that since I don't know what the gently caress any of that has to do with being scummy.

I initially thought that this sort of posting made you townier (I think Somb dropping it was scummier in a sense) but you keep on making weird comments that make me think the opposite. Right now, the "meaningless babble" that I never said - and if that's referring to D1 - I never said that either. I said it's a crapshoot because it's a fact you have less night actions, posts with actual effort and history in general to go on.

I'm starting to sound like Dragnix, help.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Asiina posted:

Except by saying that you get involved by self-defense that is what you're saying. You have to be able to offer up opinions before people case you or else we'd all just be sitting here with our thumbs up our asses.

What does this mean, exactly? Where have I not offered opinions on other areas of the game or refused people of opinions for that matter?

Asiina posted:

You keep coming back to this in your other arguments and now you're using it with me, that because you've posted a lot of words compared to others that somehow none of us can criticize your content.

Another post by somebody putting words in my mouth. Where did I say this? Nobody has yet to really refute what I've been saying or clarified them adding words that I've never said.

Asiina posted:

Your only posts either in support or against someone that isn't yourself is Rarity (which you admitted was semi-OMGUS and was mostly part of your defense), Dugong (which when I wrote my original vote basically amounted to "hey guys Dugong is being hedgy let's kill him....guys?" You've since fleshed that out, so I'll give credit), and Little Mac just briefly last night.

So being wary of 3 people that I think have a chance to be scum being still alive. That's incredibly normal and usually there's only 1-2 for me. I've never seen somebody point fingers at 14 people that are alive if that's what you're getting at. Other than that, I've discussed the wire transmissions and the voices, just like everybody else has. Is your beef that you want me to go after more people or not the people I currently dislike? I mean, I can disprove this by going into post histories and see people deadlocked on the same one or two people.

Asiina posted:

I was catching up because I just replaced in and I wanted to show my opinions on things that had happened. Especially since the guy I was replacing in for hadn't said a word. I'm not going to write a huge post (like I'm doing now) on every single thing because I know that most of them happened days ago so nobody cares. But I think it's valuable not to have a big D1 black hole for me so I commented on things that stuck out for me as I was going through.

That's perfectly fine. But my point was that you going back and doing that means nothing unless I knew you were speaking from a town perspective, meaning that if I see you writing "I like this" or "I dont like this" is not offering much when there is no opinion behind it - and if I was reading you defending yourself from a post, that would give me more insight for the type of player you are.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

chaoslord posted:

##vote DBD seems the best way to go to me after those last posts (preview edit: Asiina made a pretty excellent post that I agree with)

:effort: vote

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DuckHuntDog posted:

Does anyone else have any thoughts on Hal?

White noise, not enough in his posts to decipher anything other than he might be really busy or is lurking. He said he'd be more active so

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Rarity posted:

That's where the whole 'reading people' thing comes in. Of course you have no idea what their alignment is, but you still try to figure it out. This is literally how mafia works. You try to read people based on their content and tone. If you think someone's saying "I don't like this" to something you think is nothing then that's when your scumdar starts pinging. Like, I don't get why we need to explain this to you. I'm pretty sure you've played more games than most of us here.

It's less my scumdar going off and more of I want them to elaborate on why they don't like this post, otherwise it could just be made as a google document of taking mental notes to themselves - it doesn't add anything if there is nothing with it.

Also I responded to you earlier in the game saying my D1 defensive play is how I read people on their content/tone etc when responding to me and you had a huge problem with it. "This is literally how mafia works"

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

DBD: Have you always played this passively, or did recent new blood in the Mafia community sour you on being aggressive? If you're trying to avoid suspicion, you're trying too hard.

I have a vote down, a intercept down, going back and forth with 2 people and basically told Dugong to vote me to get him involved and get his hands dirty and you read me as passive?

I feel like I'm in bizarro world with some of you.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Asiina posted:

It adds up when people start dying, either me or the people I'm talking about. Keeping your opinions to yourself is in no way helpful for after you flip. I don't play under the illusion that I'll make it to the last day.

I
AM
saying
you
didn't elaborate on your opinions

You are keeping opinions to yourself. Saying 'I like this' or 'I don't like this' are statements and not your opinions on the players on why you liked or didn't like the post. I'm saying you can go more in depth or have actual back and forth discussions like this for people to look back on if you didn't make it to the last day and flipped town.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm honestly trying to figure out the crux of the problem that Rarity and Asiina have besides me stating I like to be defensive D1, played defensive for oh, 3 more posts after stating that, and stopped.

All of this "he doesn't let people criticize him, he doesn't like opinions or give opinions, he thinks he has so much content, he doesn't want to put effort in or wants to give an excuse for not participating" is clearly not true and with all that hot air you're blowing towards me, you're trying to make me into some faux end boss that isn't doing any of that in the slightest.

If that is your criticism, then that's where I'll call you out - but I'm not saying you can't feel that way. Just that it's faulty thinking, and if it's not true I'm not going to accept something I did not say or even express. I'll take ownership when I do express opinions you hit the nail on.

Rarity also likes to direct posts at me like I'm the one that has a huge problem that needs understanding on how mafia works and accepting other people's playstyles (which I never took issue with at all, I said Asiina's post ring hollow without followup). I'm the one trying to tell you for 2 days now how I gathered information and it's caused a huge issue with you where in your head you're like "defense = shelled up, not looking at anybody, not going to be active, oh my god oh my god oh my god o my god"

Did you see how MCS did a "quick-opinion" post listing one line opinions about posters? That is, or at least was, a huge scum tell when scum that weren't very active wanted to get involved and figure they need to splooge their opinions. So what I'm saying is, opinions can be good or bad depending on the context of the post. BUT he's been active enough where it doesn't seem like he needed to do that in the first place, so it's in an odd sort of "kinda scummy but not" zone.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Asiina posted:

I'm doing that now. I'm not going to go back and do that for stuff that happened day 1 because it's all over with at this point, but I'm not going to remain completely silent on everything that happened.

Then I don't have issue with it. That's the only thing I had an issue with regarding your playstyle, besides the sort of putting words in my mouth thing. I mean look at it from my perspective: Somb calls out post from me calling D1 crapshoot, not wanting to get involved with the intercept talk too early---> I explain why I'm not going to comb 3 pages of intercept things and say I like to play defensive because I get more out of it ---> Rarity back and forth starts where I have to explain myself that I'm not going to lurk or refuse to be involved or even scumhunt, just that it takes time --- > Doesn't really understand that, I drop it --- > Gets brought back up by you after not getting into it with anybody or playing that sort of way --- > Having to defend myself from the same sort of arguments, themes.

That's how I'm looking at this perspective. It wasn't like somebody brought out of the blue how defensive I was, I literally said that's how I like playing and that's how the back and forth began, it wasn't like "a-ha! You're playing really defensive and scummy therefore you're hiding something!".

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

No, I just feel like I remember you being more angry and aggressive in previous games. Maybe I have you confused with somebody else.

I haven't played in a year so I don't know! I'm actually usually jokey and stuff unless I'm going after somebody i'm pretty sure is town .. other than that I think this is pretty par for the course. I'm actually a bit more involved early on this game than most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Thank you LM for actually making a case that actually has actual content and not just whatever Rarity is spewing. Ecco calling that a good case is sort of funny. I'll reply in a bit - just got back from work.

• Locked thread