Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

PBCrunch posted:

I installed 16.04 beta 2 on my Chromebook the other day. Since 16.04 is final release now, do I need to do anything beyond the normal apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade to make sure my computer is up to date?
Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Upgrading Ubuntu is such a loving shitshow every time. Update aborted because /boot was not ridiculously large, nuked some old images, and it went through. Only like 30 minutes of apt fuckery required. Backed up all my poo poo, but no need, everything came back perfectly on reboot. Yay!

Except now my screen flashes off a few times an hour, and *all* audio on the system is pitched down and slowed down. :psyduck: I don't have a good enough imagination to make up a symptom that weird.

I'm going to go back to NixOS or FreeBSD, this is some hot garbage.

edit: of course it's a pulseaudio, thanks lennart

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 22, 2016

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so loving future posted:

Upgrading Ubuntu is such a loving shitshow every time. Update aborted because /boot was not ridiculously large, nuked some old images, and it went through. Only like 30 minutes of apt fuckery required. Backed up all my poo poo, but no need, everything came back perfectly on reboot. Yay!

Except now my screen flashes off a few times an hour, and *all* audio on the system is pitched down and slowed down. :psyduck: I don't have a good enough imagination to make up a symptom that weird.

Isn't audio on Linux historically a fuckup?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

so loving future posted:

I upgraded from 15.10 and now (non-guest?) sessions don't have the Unity launcher nor top bar :thumbsup:

Also, Yakety Yak

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My two computers upgraded from 15.10 without troubles. :shrug: YMMV, I guess.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cheese-cube posted:

Isn't audio on Linux historically a fuckup?

Works fine for me. I started using Linux in 2011 and I've never had a gently caress up that wasn't caused by myself.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Merkinman posted:

16.04LTS Came out today.

I think the most notable changes are replacing Ubuntu apps for Debian apps (Calendar and Software). Also, the ability to move the Unity dock to the bottom of the screen.

So I just switched from Arch to Ubuntu to try out Unity for a bit. How is this done? When I move windows from the left to right monitor they keep getting caught on the edge and try maximizing. I'd prefer the dock on the bottom/top.

pyonium
Apr 24, 2016

YouTuber posted:

So I just switched from Arch to Ubuntu to try out Unity for a bit. How is this done? When I move windows from the left to right monitor they keep getting caught on the edge and try maximizing. I'd prefer the dock on the bottom/top.

There's the sticky windows options under System Settings > Display that should disable the maximizing behavior.

For changing the dock, the command
code:
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher launcher-position Bottom (or Top/Left/Right)
should do the trick.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

pyonium posted:

For changing the dock, the command
code:
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Launcher launcher-position Bottom (or Top/Left/Right)
should do the trick.

:tviv: I may actually try figuring out how to get Unity running on Arch since it runs like a real desktop when it's on the bottom like this. Gnome runs like absolute poo poo under X and Wayland on this low power box. Budgie was a fun DE to tinker with and KDE just doesn't fit my style. Cinnamon is a nice DE as well.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I'm loving 16.04 (and previously 15.10) with Cinnamon on my MacBook Pro from work. Cinnamon is the only DE I've found that sanely handles the resolution. It's pretty nice, really.

pyonium
Apr 24, 2016

G-Prime posted:

I'm loving 16.04 (and previously 15.10) with Cinnamon on my MacBook Pro from work. Cinnamon is the only DE I've found that sanely handles the resolution. It's pretty nice, really.

I'm surprised, honestly, considering Cinnamon uses X11, which wasn't really meant for HiDPI. How do common applications like for example LibreOffice or firefox fare? I don't really have a high res display to test it out.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Firefox has a flag for it that was added a while back, though I think it's been changed in recent versions to examine the DPI settings for X. Not positive, because I use Chrome. Which is working great. Libreoffice I haven't had a reason to use yet, but according to their docs, they've had support since somewhere in the 4 series.

Not all of the programs on my machine work perfectly, but it's a significant majority that do. Pretty much anything GTK 3 is good to go. Modern KDE apps seemed to work fine as well. Admittedly, I had to do some tuning. Straight out of the box, X didn't detect my DPI correctly, so I had to adjust that by hand. That said, it wasn't a huge deal. A little bit of math and a single config file.

GNOME 3 and KDE 5 both do a pretty decent job with HiDPI as well, but I ran into snags with them. Don't recall what, honestly, because I went through rapid fire iterations trying to find something that did what I wanted. MATE was just flat out broken. The theme engine they use fails completely for some reason when you try to use HiDPI, or it did for me at least. Unity appears to handle it, but I just plain don't like Unity's design from a usability standpoint.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yo, if you've been having display blanking issues since upgrading to 16.04, check it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1554613

Installing the mainline 4.6.0-994 kernel fixed my DP display blanking randomly all the time.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So I'm at my wits end troubleshooting a strange issue on an Ubuntu 14.04.3 VM running on VMware.

The VM itself is fairly massive (46 vCPUs/128GB RAM) and is used as a database server in production. Our DBA is just now making use of it to transfer (via rsync job) a large amount of data from an old DB to this new one. At some point, about 2-3 hours, after starting the rsync job, the VM just hangs. CPU usage (from the ESX host level) goes crazy, and up to that point the memory usage on the host has been pegged at 98% or so.

After we reboot the hung VM (it's not a kernel panic, so no kernel dump/core dump), we look in the syslog and see almost nothing recorded from the hang, just business as usual syslog stuff.

Any hints on what (if any) options I can enable to get some more verbose logging on the VM?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Wicaeed posted:

So I'm at my wits end troubleshooting a strange issue on an Ubuntu 14.04.3 VM running on VMware.

The VM itself is fairly massive (46 vCPUs/128GB RAM) and is used as a database server in production. Our DBA is just now making use of it to transfer (via rsync job) a large amount of data from an old DB to this new one. At some point, about 2-3 hours, after starting the rsync job, the VM just hangs. CPU usage (from the ESX host level) goes crazy, and up to that point the memory usage on the host has been pegged at 98% or so.

After we reboot the hung VM (it's not a kernel panic, so no kernel dump/core dump), we look in the syslog and see almost nothing recorded from the hang, just business as usual syslog stuff.

Any hints on what (if any) options I can enable to get some more verbose logging on the VM?

Get a vmcore. Manually trigger it with sysrq or use whatever vmware provides to get a memory dump from the vm.

Surely your company has a support contact with the vm OS vendor for things just like this?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Now that zfsutils-linux is rolled into Ubuntu, I'm wondering what the state of zfs-auto-snapshot is. We're not supposed to use the zfsonlinux PPA anymore, right? Do we just install that script manually by itself? Or is there another name for it now?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Wicaeed posted:

Rsync builds a memory table of the file system details to do it's syncing with. If you've got like a million little files, it'll crush your server as it builds that table up and then goes to the remote location and does it again to compare against.

The answer is to reduce the scope that rsync runs with.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I recall rsync 3 actually did something to stop that problem happening, it also went GPL 3 which is why OS X is on version 2.

quote:

The 3.0.0 version number is such a large bump up from 2.6.9 due to the addition of an incremental recursion scan (which helps a lot with large transfers) and the official arrival of several other new features, including ACL support, extended attribute support, filename character-set conversion, etc.
https://download.samba.org/pub/rsync/src/rsync-3.0.0-NEWS

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 9, 2016

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Is there any drawback from running the low latency kernel as the usual? I occasionally screw around with JACK but mostly not. I'd prefer not to reboot and choose all the time.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

TMI on the BMI posted:

Is there any drawback from running the low latency kernel as the usual? I occasionally screw around with JACK but mostly not. I'd prefer not to reboot and choose all the time.

And just now I realise probably there is a new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just installed 16.04 but this is a general question - where are the scaling settings other than the one under Display? I was hoping to scale Libreoffice down a little (as well as Google Chrome's UI) because I'm stuck with 1366x768 on a laptop.

• Locked thread