Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEmcVRNZvI

Freedom Planet is a fast-paced low-budget platformer inspired by Genesis era titles such as Rocket Knight, Gunstar Heroes, and, of course, Sonic the Hedgehog.

Even though it started as a Sonic fangame, after a successful Kickstarter Campaign it became it's own thing.

The game features three different characters with very different playstyles (more planned), immense levels, visceral boss fights, a killer soudtrack, and an option of choosing between an Adventure Mode with voice-acted cutscenes or the Classic Mode which is gameplay-only.

While the presentation might turn you off, you'll find a real gem if you can get past it.

The game's website
The demo if you're reticent
Steam Page
Buy it on Humble Store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I'm pretty shocked this thread hasn't gotten any posts! Freedom Planet is a terrific game, it exceeded every expectation I had. I decided to grab it because I had some spare money in my steam wallet and I was curious about the game, I mean it does look like Original The Character's Adventure. However, I was really surprised with what I got. This game is outstanding! For anyone curious or sitting on the fence, here's what I have to say about the game from what I've played:

The game's graphics are great. If you love pixel art, you'll love this game. Characters look great, backgrounds are pretty and every zone has its own distinct and defined look.

The gameplay, too, is excellent. The comparison to Sonic is obvious, but I would say what it takes from Sonic isn't just the character designs. While there are loops and you can go fast, what I'm loving about this game is that it takes what I feel is the best part of the old Genesis Sonic games-Huge levels. Every level so far has had upper, middle and lower paths each of which feels completely different and you're given constant opportunities to switch from one to the other. Really, the comparison to Rocket Knight Adventure in the OP is just as apt as Sonic for how the game controls (At least for Lilac, the purple one). The controls are good and you can perform a lot of actions with such a small set of buttons (it took me until the fourth stage to realize I could jump kick downwards, for example).

Level design in general is nice too, it's varied and enemies vary from one HP nobodies, to mild annoyances who tend to belch out powerups of crystals (think coins) for your trouble, but you almost never have to fight a mook. Sometimes the game throws minibosses at you but it doesn't feel as formulaic as something like Sonic (IE, 2 stages, boss -> repeat). And speaking of minibosses, the regular boss fights are incredibly fun. They're challenging and vary a lot, and if you're a nerd like me and enjoy cinematic stuff, sometimes your allies show up to act as scenery (doing weak attacks) or they'll throw you power ups. The presentation in general is excellent.

The sound design, with one notable exception, is also great. The music is terrific, I haven't played a game in ages that's OST was as enjoyable to listen too as this game's. The only problem with the sound design is the voice acting. Yes, this game does have voice acting and frankly some of it is actually pretty good. A big problem is it's also inconsistent. No one stands out as sounding TERRIBLE, but a couple of characters have really sub par sound quality and it's kind of jarring. Some characters, as well, are way too loud. The story itself is pretty much a Saturday Morning cartoon, which I'm fine with.

Other than that, the difficulty curve is a little odd. I went through the first five or so levels and never died, only to reach a certain boss which I died like five times on, and then hit a very difficult level afterwards. I'm totally fine with the training wheels coming off, but it felt more like I'd hit a wall then the game had prepared me for the next step. Nothing major though.

Over all, if you have any passing interest in the game I'd recommend it. As much as I hate to use this term, if you love old school platformers, especially of the genesis variety, you'll love Freedom Planet.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This looks amazing. What systems is it coming out on?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Bat posted:

Yes, this game does have voice acting and frankly some of it is actually pretty good. A big problem is it's also inconsistent. No one stands out as sounding TERRIBLE, but a couple of characters have really sub par sound quality and it's kind of jarring.
Yeah that's a big problem with indie games with voice acting - Dust had a couple of characters who sounded like they recorded their lines in a bathroom with a 360 headset.

Game looks pretty fun though.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Only on PC. They might release it on other systems in the distant future but right now looks like the team is more worried about bug fixes and working on stretch goal stuff.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Endorph posted:

Yeah that's a big problem with indie games with voice acting - Dust had a couple of characters who sounded like they recorded their lines in a bathroom with a 360 headset.

Game looks pretty fun though.

It wouldn't be too big of a deal if it weren't for the fact that the worst offender is the person who voiced Milla, the dog rabbit girl who's...one of the three main characters. But if bad voice work is a deal breaker, there is a "classic" mode which is just level to level. The story is kind of fun, but it's nothing mandatory.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's already out on steam at least. You can get it from the humble store too, if you're so inclined. I just grabbed it off steam. There's a demo too if you're curious.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Stink Terios posted:

Only on PC. They might release it on other systems in the distant future but right now looks like the team is more worried about bug fixes and working on stretch goal stuff.

Balls. I basically only game on consoles so until Nintendo ports this to the Wii U, I'll just stick to Shovel Knight.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Boy stage 8 is loving terrible in every way

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 3, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

This is a good Sonic fangame. If you like this then try out Sonic After the Sequel.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Okay I finished the game as one character. The story and writing are generally poo poo and while the voice acting is good for an indie title you are better off playing in 'classic' mode. I don't know why I played in story mode, it didn't add anything to the game.

The bosses in Worlds 8 and 9 are assholes. The devs have recognized that most players are dying dozens of times on a couple particular bosses and they are taking steps to fix it. My personal recommendation is you right-click on the game in your steam library and get on the beta versions of the game. The final boss is poo poo.

There is DLC for the Spade character coming out. Ehh.

The cards for this game sell for a pretty good amount right now. Sell your cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I dunno, man. The 'plot,' such as it is, kind of grew on me the more I played. I mean, I might even go so far as to call it "not completely terrible." Yes, it is basically Sonic fanfiction with all the characters replaced with Everybody's OC, but maybe that's okay. It's trite and it's corny, but it's sincere and cute and not obnoxious, and there were even a few moments where it got a genuine giggle out of me, both intentionally and otherwise. Died a lot to a couple of later bosses, but it's really not so bad once you get the pattern down. I appreciated the difficulty curve, but I'm like, super good at vidjemogames, so your mileage may vary I guess.

All in all, thumbs up. Definitely worth a buy for someone who likes 2D platformers. Also, the soundtrack is just fantastic.

• Locked thread