Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

redeyes posted:

Thing is Pfsense is based on BSD and I think it would be a good idea to get him used to the Linux side of routing and firewalling. Recommendations?

pfSense is fine, but Linux vs BSD has nothing to do with it. All these appliances hide the underlying utilities anyway. What you need to do is teach him the concepts. Broadcast domains, collision domains, ARP, MAC addresses, IPv4 headers, how to read packet dumps, what are routing protocols and how do they work, 3-way handshakes, how to properly read a traceroute, MTU, PMTU and why blocking pings is bad, what are VLANs, etc etc etc

redeyes posted:

Of course I could have him load a distro from scratch too and build the stuff from scratch.. but I don't think anyone does that anymore.

I wouldn't suggest that to anyone these days. The utilities are constantly changing. He's better off understanding the real concepts so he can apply them anywhere.

edit: I have a Juniper J2320 I'm willing to sell if you want to PM me. He can play with some real gear. It's aging, but it's been rehashed as Juniper SRX and runs the same software and has the exact same features.

feld fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread