Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Callel
Jul 27, 2014
TLDR; Buy a used Cisco router and switch and start studying for the CCNA.

I'd seriously consider a Cisco router and switch bought off of ebay. Get as new of a model as you can with the latest code as is financially feasible. With one router and switch you can do a lot!

No-one in the industry uses homebrew linux network gear. It's cool and *nix knowledge is invaluable for a career in IT.

Once he learns Cisco he can take that fundamental networking knowledge and apply it to anything else. The commands will be different but the concepts are the same. None of the vendors really do anything different, it's all packaging and configuration differences. Learn Cisco it's the most common denominator.

Once he gets layers 1-3 down, then start looking at firewalls, WAN (BGP) and other protocols.

Basically set him up to study for the CCNA, If he can get that far, there are a ton of great jobs out there for him.
I got my CCNA about 10 years ago and am very successfully employed as a network engineer. OSI layers, IP's, MAC's, don't change and wont change, IPV6 is fundamentally the same as IPV4, just larger.

Callel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread