Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a 15 year old son that loves technology and is starting to get into *nix systems and network. I figure its a great time to let him set up and configure a firewall/router box and play with his own network. So far I set up PFSense 2.2 beta on a dual core Atom build and let him go hog wild. Thing is Pfsense is based on BSD and I think it would be a good idea to get him used to the Linux side of routing and firewalling. Recommendations? Of course I could have him load a distro from scratch too and build the stuff from scratch.. but I don't think anyone does that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Untangle is pretty good, and ubuntu based, it has a free version as well as trial to enterprise features.

https://www.untangle.com/

it can install as a virtual appliance or on bare metal.

Not bad looking at all. Will give it a try. Thanks.
[edit] So.. most advanced stuff is paid only.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread