Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Docjowles posted:

At a past job, we had some bastion hosts you had to jump through to reach production. The NOC team sat on those jump boxes all day, and would loving CONSTANTLY space out and reboot them instead of the actual host they meant to work on. We eventually literally replaced every command we could think of (suhtdown, reboot, halt, etc) with a symlink to a script that said "HEY NUMBNUTS THIS IS THE JUMP BOX. Did you really mean to reboot it? y/n" and then called the real command.

Kind of a silly hack but dammit, it cut down on the unintended reboots!

Mollyguards are a time honored tradition. The better ones make them repeat a challenge word to reboot. If you have a "remote reboot command" you script up you can even install the mollyguard everywhere. That has the added benefit of you can write into a database datetime,username,server,comment from the reboot command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nice, hadn't heard that term for it. Apparently there's even a package of that name designed to guard against accidental reboots, lol

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man8/molly-guard.8.html

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Nice, hadn't heard that term for it. Apparently there's even a package of that name designed to guard against accidental reboots, lol

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man8/molly-guard.8.html

Kids these days! :argh:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

On one hand there's really no cogent argument against something like a mollyguard. If it reduces the risk of an accident that would impact availability, it's good. On the other hand, if an employee is repeatedly careless while running commands with root privileges, mollyguard isn't the whole solution. It might keep him from rebooting the wrong server, but who knows what else the guy is doing carelessly? There's a basic level of care and focus you need to apply when doing things as root, and if you regularly fall short of that level, operations is not a good place for you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You shouldn't avoid putting easy methods (with little to no downsides) in place to stop people making mistakes just because they might become a crutch one day. If people are generally careless then address that separately through your change control processes, training, discipline policies, improved ways to roll back changes etc.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.privacyfly.com/articles/ncix_breach/

This is absolutely amazing.

quote:

Millions of Canadian and American consumers are now at risk thanks to a series of shady backroom deals that have resulted in records detailing 15 years of business being sold.

August 1, 2018. A rare sunny day in rain ridden Vancouver, British Columbia. Typical of my introverted lifestyle, I found myself indulging my passion for used computer hardware by scouring Craigslist. Post after post of monotonous listings began to blend together as an intriguing title caught my eye. “NCIX Database Servers - $1500 (Richmond BC)”.

He proceeded to tell me that not only did he have the network drive that I was inquiring about, but he also possessed NCIX’s entire server farm from the east coast which was shipped back to their Richmond warehouse several months ago.

NCIX had abandoned the hardware when they failed to pay a past due rent total of $150,000.

September 5th, 2018. I arrived at the Warehouse midday this time with slightly more insight into the software required to open and analyze the various files strewn among the 109 hard drives. I once again was ushered upstairs, where Jeff had prepared two supermicro server’s running StarWind iSCSI Software and one of the 300 desktops as a sample. I first sat down at the desktop and discovered that it was used by a former NCIX employee named Chadwick Ma. The computer contained a treasure trove of confidential data including credentials, invoices, photographs of customers ID’s, Bills, and Mr. Ma’s T4 among other files.

The nciwww database contained a thousand records from affiliates listing plain text passwords, addresses, names, and some financial data.
In another table of information, I found customer service inquiries including messages and contact information. There were also three hundred eighty-five thousand names, serial numbers with dates of purchase, addresses, company names, email addresses, phone numbers, IP addresses and unsalted MD5 hashed passwords. The database also contained full credit card payment details in plain text for two hundred and fifty-eight thousand users between various tables.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I love the name Mollyguard

wiktionary posted:

Originally a Plexiglas cover improvised for the Big Red Switch on an IBM 4341 mainframe after a programmer's toddler daughter (named Molly) tripped it twice in one day. Later generalised to covers over stop/reset switches on disk drives and networking equipment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Hey we're making this change in two weeks, but the replacement is in production now! Here's how to move over to it, give us a shout if you get stuck"
"Just a reminder that this legacy system is going away in two weeks, the new way to do exactly the same thing is explained here, our support team can take you through it if you have any issues"
"This thing is happening in three days"
"Tomorrow the old system is going away"
"Ok, that's all done now. If you're still set up to use the old service then get in touch and somebody can take you through the change, alternatively see this documentation"

Email CCing their boss, their bosses boss
"I've not been able to get into this for four days now so haven't been able to get any work done, what's going on?"

Every. loving. Time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when I detail each email they received concerning this with dates and times via a CC to everyone they CC'd. I then tell them I confirmed that they received each email and ask them which part of the process is confusing so that I can make it better in the future.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This isn't a CYA exercise this time, the people that this person is complaining to also received the notifications and were involved in assisting people make the change or at least get help if needed.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
No GreenLight's just saying be helpful in a condescending way, which is an approach I enjoy myself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah yeah the "let me know which of the steps you're stuck on and we'll figure it out" response does get used a fair bit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just have a hard time putting up with people who can't read emails then try to throw IT under the bus. But everyone is busy and reading is hard.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

I just have a hard time putting up with people who can't read emails then try to throw IT under the bus. But everyone is busy and reading is hard.

Throwing IT under the bus is such a time-honored tradition that many groups have it as step 1 of troubleshooting.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I just got back from a 10 day vacation. Not a shitshow thankfully but yay for a headache.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I have posted it before, but i'll post it again. We are on-prem exchange, and in the last year we have had more email issues from Office not licensing on o365 than from our mail servers not serving mail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Hey Bob, we let so-and-so go, can you meet him at Starbucks to get his laptop."

Fine. You're paying mileage and buying me breakfast at Starbucks.

Now I get to peel stickers off a laptop.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

lampey posted:

Running your own mail server in 2018 is a bigger headache. Email deliverability will always be a problem. Hosted email is practically free from Microsoft when you figure in the cost of licensing your own exchange server.
I'm sure in the end if will be worth it but right now it's a headache for everyone involved especially because we have to roll it out internationally.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

On my flight to Orlando and I don’t think I’m ready for the level of awkward and poorly dressed IT folk I’m about to experience for the next week.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Should have gone to some goonmeets to prepare.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just landed, Ignite attendies do seem to stand out amongst the families going to Disney or universal.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

I just landed, Ignite attendies do seem to stand out amongst the families going to Disney or universal.

What’s giving it away: the body odor, heavy drinking, social awkwardness or all of the above?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No one is more anti goon than goons.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Darchangel posted:

The trick is always how to mean "gently caress off", get the person to understand that you mean, explicitly, "gently caress off", and not any gentler form of it, but not actually say "gently caress off."

Well said !

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

No true Scotsman Goon.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Fool posted:

Self-hatred is the fundamental noble truth from which all wisdom extends, hth?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

We spent months questioning o365 due to ITAR requirements. There's a ton of stuff about no foreign persons handling any data.

I don't know what ITAR is but we have the no data abroad restriction too. We are running exch 2003 so I cannot wait to migrate!!!

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think we're on the right track here, asking "how could this be possible?" rather than "who made an error?"

If "be more careful" is the solution, there might be more work to do.

Bit late to this, but one of my previous jobs was an operations desk and I often had to do Linux server changes. I know nothing about Linux but was expected to follow a script. I was also supposed to run the crash calls for major outages if I was on shift (I'd never done any of this before).

My first ever crash call? An outage where we'd lost all of our offices in South Africa because of a mistake I'd made on a change. The job was confusing as hell and I'd had no real training or context to anything and now I'm sat on a Google hangout with about 8 faces staring back at me discussing how the problem had happened and what needed to happen to put it right.

I'd just come from a toxic blame culture environment so I was getting ready to go to war with these guys but was amazed that the place was more concerned with why a new guy with very little experience had been shoved into a situation where this was possible and what they could do to make sure I had better support and failsafes in future.

I learnt more at that place in the 11 months I was there than the previous 10 YEARS at the toxic place

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Possibly joining a super tiny company as the first and only tech guy since the owner realizes that getting into the 21st century is important.

Am I right in thinking that with only a couple people even using computers, an AD environment is unnecessary and that a properly configured CRM would be able to do what’s needed rather than an ERP system? It’s construction, and I know you can set up stuff like resource inventory and requirements and customer / supplier related stuff in Salesforce.

Related, is there a better option than Salesforce if there would be at most three seats needed? Salesforce seems like it would be overkill and cost-ineffective at that scale from how I’ve used it before.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The session I was born to see. Also coincidentally it is the highest concentration of women in this entire place.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Today a dev handed a sys admin some source code. The expectation he would take that code and transform it into an app to be deployed.

The very first thing I thought to do want print out the source code, wad it up, and throw it directly into the face of the dev.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Today a dev handed a sys admin some source code. The expectation he would take that code and transform it into an app to be deployed.

The very first thing I thought to do want print out the source code, wad it up, and throw it directly into the face of the dev.

Or just email it to everyone in PDF form.

"Your code has been deployed"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The good news: My request to IT for an up-to-date laptop finally got approved! :woop:

The bad news: The user profile on the new laptop is heavily locked down, with no admin rights whatsoever, and forced installs of lovely resource-hogging anti-virus and local web content filters (so you can't even do things like look at the forums during off-hours).

The great news: IT has an unwritten rule where, if they know that you know what you're doing, you can install and run whatever flavor of Linux you want.

So now Kubuntu is running nicely on this thing. It also Just Works (tm) with the USB-C Dell dock they provided. And boy am I glad to finally be rid of Cygwin. I can actually get more work done on this thing.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 24, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DizzyBum posted:

The good news: My request to IT for an up-to-date laptop finally got approved! :woop:

The bad news: The user profile on the new laptop is heavily locked down, with no admin rights whatsoever, and forced installs of lovely resource-hogging anti-virus and local web content filters (so you can't even do things like look at the forums during off-hours).

The great news: IT has an unwritten rule where, if they know that you know what you're doing, you can install and run whatever flavor of Linux you want.

So now Kubuntu is running nicely on this thing. It also Just Works (tm) with the USB-C Dell dock they provided. And boy am I glad to finally be rid of Cygwin. I can actually get more work done on this thing.

You have terrible sysadmins.

And not for the proxy thing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

unwritten rules are not rules dude so don't piss people off i guess

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sickening posted:

your sys admins have MSDN licenses and all that entails !!!?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

your sys admins have MSDN licenses and all that entails !!!?

They don't. We also don't have devs that their only job is to write source code and do nothing else. I don't know what in the hell he was thinking.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sickening posted:

They don't. We also don't have devs that their only job is to write source code and do nothing else. I don't know what in the hell he was thinking.

There is the belief that sys-admins have the best computers and I guess the Dev thought it would compile faster for him?

That or lazyness/not paying attention. Not counting those out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

unwritten rules are not rules dude so don't piss people off i guess

Triple this.