Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1671 »
nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Methanar posted:

What would their preferred tool have been if not python?

All of our internal dev stuff was .NET, management wanted me to write a GUI application in VB.NET or C# to do this. I think the vendor ended up fixing whatever the root cause that led to the missing records shortly thereafter anyway, probably after a lot of yelling at them (this was an angry place).

Hosted core isn't so bad in my experience. That particular core (Signature, formerly CBS) is actually pretty decent as far as banking cores go, the middleware is unlike most in that it's Not Awful, and I've touched almost all of the major cores in the first few years I spent at $currentJob, where I've run into some truly astounding shitshows of banking software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanatosian
Apr 16, 2013

Angrier, Bitterer Man

Grimey Drawer

nullfunction posted:

All of our internal dev stuff was .NET, management wanted me to write a GUI application in VB.NET or C# to do this. I think the vendor ended up fixing whatever the root cause that led to the missing records shortly thereafter anyway, probably after a lot of yelling at them (this was an angry place).

Hosted core isn't so bad in my experience. That particular core (Signature, formerly CBS) is actually pretty decent as far as banking cores go, the middleware is unlike most in that it's Not Awful, and I've touched almost all of the major cores in the first few years I spent at $currentJob, where I've run into some truly astounding shitshows of banking software.
Look, I'm not saying yelling at people is good, but financial software vendors are pretty universally complete loving poo poo-shows, and yelling at them is the only way to get things done. Our lending platform is such a loving disaster the software support vendor is in there probably an average of once a day. It's loving wild.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

It's true, and I went to work for a vendor anyway!

We do dumb poo poo sometimes but we're so far above the average that we look amazing by comparison

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Thanatosian posted:

Look, I'm not saying yelling at people is good, but financial software vendors are pretty universally complete loving poo poo-shows, and yelling at them is the only way to get things done. Our lending platform is such a loving disaster the software support vendor is in there probably an average of once a day. It's loving wild.

This is pretty much any "niche" software vendor. Legal, medical, all the same.

Thanatosian
Apr 16, 2013

Angrier, Bitterer Man

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

This is pretty much any "niche" software vendor. Legal, medical, all the same.
Ahahahahahahah, holy poo poo I used to work at a super-toxic law firm, well and truly hated my job (which made me into a bad person at the time), and at one point wrote an email to our billing software vendor that was so rude, they emailed my HR person about it (nothing sexual or violent or anything like that, just calling them incompetent in pretty brutal language). In my defense, the software was owned by Lexis Nexis, and I asked our sales rep a super basic question ("Is there a timeline for when you'll be supporting Windows 7?") and was told to burn a support hour calling their technical services line. The software only worked on Windows, and was the only software this sales rep worked on.

Oh, this was following an incident I was super pissed at them at them about as well: I'd asked about upgrading to the newest version of the software, how far out I needed to schedule, etc., and the sales person told me I just needed to let them know a week ahead of time, they had plenty of people to do it, no problem, and at this point I was inexperienced enough to believe her (I was the sole IT person). A week out I send an email scheduling it, and they tell me "oh, there's no way we can do that, this is a months-long process," but my bosses wanted this done, so I forward them the previous email and tell them they better get it done. They get a tech on it who sends me a pre-installation form to fill out, that has a part verifying that the server it's being installed on isn't a DC. I send about three paragraphs of questions/clarifications about various things with the form, including very specifically pointing out that this server is a Windows SBS 2003 server, and is very much a DC, and whether that's an actual requirement or not. The dude responds to most of my questions, but not that one (form was filled out correctly, too, pointing out that this computer is a DC), so I just assume everything is fine (let me again refer you to my inexperience). Actual install date happens, we're almost done with the install, only nothing is working. Dude asks "wait, is this a DC?" "Yes," I respond, and he says "this software doesn't work if it's a DC, that was on the form I sent you." I was... very unkind in my response, it didn't help that he was replying to the email chain that I had told him that this server is a DC, and had the form with the boxed check for "this is a DC" at the time. Dude said he missed it because the install was so rushed (and he probably wasn't wrong). It was about 5:00 his time at this point, and the dude hadn't had a lunch, and I made him stay and fix everything before he took a lunch; he was probably some poor, overworked tech, and I was a total dick to him, I'd definitely buy him a couple of drinks and apologize if I ever ran into him in-person. Not the salesperson, though; gently caress them.

The moral of my story is be nice to people, and don't stay at jobs you hate that turn you into a toxic rear end in a top hat, like the people you work for. Also, that legal software is terrible.

Thanatosian fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oven Wrangler

Yeah, that all sounds very familiar.

I've worked at law firms most of my career.

The problem with working for them is that once you've got that on your resume, it's a lot easier to get a job at a law firm. They are so incestuous, always thinking that their business is super special and unique. This is my last law firm. I don't care if I have to take a 50% pay cut, it's my last one.

«1671 »