Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fight me irl

I’m not going near anyone waving a ten thousand dollar dongle shiv, yelling about seeing if I pass the scream test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Who's got mid-level cloudy career advice?

I'm doing devops-y stuff with a C# / .NET / AWS shop. It might be the case that my next career move is to an SRE position. From a casual looksee at job postings and chats with recruiters, employers seem to want SREs who are developers first and ops second. Would I be well served by doing a bootcamp or something else to work on actual programming skills? Some days I write powershell all day long, but I haven't ever done any proper programming except for a C class in college forever ago. I know bootcamps are universally shat on, but going from zero to interesting home-grown project seems like a big ask without any framework to extend upon.

Or maybe I should be sticking to my ops guns and push towards architect and start working for a consulting firm?

I guess what I'm asking is what skills should I, an ops heavy Windows-trained guy, develop to make myself attractive to every company that wants a devops unicorn (and is willing to pay for it :getin:)?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Had a recruiter from Palantir reach out on LinkedIn. These guys are like 100% evil right?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Agrikk posted:

I have a text doc for every project. Each doc looks like this:

code:
Project Name
-------------------------------------

Statement of work

Deadline: yyyy/mm/dd -  explanation of why this deadline is the deadline

Flowchart of tasks:

[x] Task 1 (owner@)
[x] Task 2 (owner@)
[ ]      Task aa (owner@)
[ ]      Task ab (owner@)
[ ] Task 3 (owner@)
[ ]      Task ac (owner@)
[ ]      Task ad (owner@)

Journal of updates

99. most resent update
98. previous update
01. Initial update

Cool thanks, I think I'll give it a try for the smaller things I'm working on

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

The web interface for Outlook is poo poo compared to Gmail in terms of speed, but Outlook is awful at accessing Gmail accounts so it depends on what type of user you have - are they all familiar with Outlook and people joining the company have to learn how to use Gmail?

If nobody has started piling documents into Google Drive then a migration makes sense. G Suite is really good at certain things, but the complete lack of support for shared mailboxes (that don't consume a license) is always a bit annoying, especially if you have a high turnover with people on work experience or whatever and want to keep their mailboxes around for a few months.

Great point, we have a lot of turnover work and constantly archive mailboxes or convert to shared. Most people use desktop outlook or mobile and not the Web version.

The biggest gripe with Microsoft is the abysmal spam-detection and anti-phishing, while Gmail automatically catches all of it. My vendor seems to think we might be able to get Microsoft to toss in "Office 365 ATP Plan 1" to keep their email business.

Has anyone here used "Office 365 ATP Plan 1"? Seems to come with E5. Does it let spam phishing emails through or toss customer replies into spam like this E3 garbage does on the daily?

mllaneza posted:

And then there's error messages....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's garbage. Microsoft's handling of spam is garbage.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're moving from on prem Exchange to 365 but keeping our Cisco ESA server just for spam and to use as a relay.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Had a recruiter from Palantir reach out on LinkedIn. These guys are like 100% evil right?

Palantir is evil even for a defense contractor.

Like, Boeing engineers get a shiver up their spine when they have to talk to those guys.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

We're moving from on prem Exchange to 365 but keeping our Cisco ESA server just for spam and to use as a relay.

I feel like relaying a 3rd party provider is almost required if you really want to cut this stuff out. I get the feeling they are not doing what they can in efforts to sell their ATP product.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have always been super happy with Mimecast. I wish my current place would realize their stupidity and give it a look, but alas, we're "all in on Microsoft" to the point where our IT Manager and CIO spend a good portion of their time battling spam by hand.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

It's garbage. Microsoft's handling of spam is garbage.

Yeah sounds right... sigh.

The company we acquired was paying $12k/year for Cisco Iron Port just to have it layered on top of Gmail... sounds like overkill probably, and I usually stay far away from Cisco, but might be worth it to leave the meter running and slap it on O365.

I have always been super happy with Mimecast. I wish my current place would realize their stupidity and give it a look, but alas, we're "all in on Microsoft" to the point where our IT Manager and CIO spend a good portion of their time battling spam by hand.

When I looked at Mimecast they had no way to import a list of all our outgoing emails to customers/prospects in order to ensure none of them wound up in false positives. They could do it going forward, but couldn't retroactively do anything with O365's mail logs. Was kind of a dealbreaker on top of the dollars-per-user-per-month they were asking which I couldn't get by the CFO.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Proofpoint fronting 365 has been pretty solid for us. I don’t manage it, Infosec does, but from an end-user perspective it works well. No email goes into or out of exchange online unless it passes through proofpoint, to include all remaining on-prem smtp relay.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At one point I blacklisted basically all of Northeastern Europe (4.0.0.0 to 9.255.255.255) in one go.

And then went back in and punched a hole for our largest client who was in Finland after a couple people said "wow, spam's sure down today, but we haven't heard from $BIGCLIENT today...."

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

devmd01 posted:

Proofpoint fronting 365 has been pretty solid for us. I don’t manage it, Infosec does, but from an end-user perspective it works well. No email goes into or out of exchange online unless it passes through proofpoint, to include all remaining on-prem smtp relay.

Yeah the acquired company's IT guy told me he did a POC between Cisco Iron Port and Proofpoint 5 years ago and that Proofpoint was "garbage at the time", sounds like they're out of Cisco contract so maybe I'll have to shop around again.

TheFace posted:

Windows search gets really fun in non-persistent VDI. You either turn off Windows search to avoid the issues, which is a poo poo user experience. You leave it on, which is then a poo poo experience for the first several hours of the user using the machine as it builds a search cache. Or you use one of the assorted ways to roam the windows search cache... the one I've tried (Appsense/Ivanti) would randomly break, leaving a broken search cache which would mess up Windows search in general.

For years I've been pre-installing "Everything" search on windows machines, but now even that hasn't actually been finding everything on my home PC (seems to maybe be a permissions thing even though it's elevated to admin). Still way better than anything built-in on Windows though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm telling you, we've paired Cisco ESA with Umbrella and it's been fantastic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah sounds right... sigh.

The company we acquired was paying $12k/year for Cisco Iron Port just to have it layered on top of Gmail... sounds like overkill probably, and I usually stay far away from Cisco, but might be worth it to leave the meter running and slap it on O365.

When I looked at Mimecast they had no way to import a list of all our outgoing emails to customers/prospects in order to ensure none of them wound up in false positives. They could do it going forward, but couldn't retroactively do anything with O365's mail logs. Was kind of a dealbreaker on top of the dollars-per-user-per-month they were asking which I couldn't get by the CFO.

That's odd. You can import a custom list, so if you wanted to distill down a list on your own you should have been able to do it. That being said, Mimecast has the ability to auto-whitelist (for 90 days) anyone a user has emailed. It only applies to that user.

With how easy Mimecast makes it for uses to see their spam queue, along with daily/twice daily spam reports was always more than enough for me. And I have worked in industries where a missed client email was a big deal.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fight me irl

You'd apologize for hurting my hand on your face.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Our spam is pretty good but also we made it so anyone other than the US and India are blocked. Geo blocking everything works!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The thing I like best about Barracuda is when a vendor or customer sends an automated email to about 50 employees, we get about 4-5 different reasons why a couple of the exact same messages were blocked, even though they were delivered to the other 45.

1. Reason: Intent
2. Reputation: Poor
3. Keywords
4. ...

???

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

George H.W. oval office posted:

Our spam is pretty good but also we made it so anyone other than the US and India are blocked. Geo blocking everything works!

last time I checked it wasn't even supported officially in O365 to whitelist top level domains, it was a very complicated hack I had to do and I think even that broke after a bit.

I don't need emails from .stream or .xxx or whatever, spammers have taken to using those a lot all of a sudden.

Also someone bought our domain with 1 letter different just to try to phish us for financials, fun. I've never once seen an abuse@registrar email wind up doing anything.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's more like 200% evil, they have extra that's off the books

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

last time I checked it wasn't even supported officially in O365 to whitelist top level domains, it was a very complicated hack I had to do and I think even that broke after a bit.

I don't need emails from .stream or .xxx or whatever, spammers have taken to using those a lot all of a sudden.

Also someone bought our domain with 1 letter different just to try to phish us for financials, fun. I've never once seen an abuse@registrar email wind up doing anything.

I swear I'm not shilling, but Mimecast has protection against that. It can also do lookups for similar internal names and block if there is a direct match.

https://community.mimecast.com/s/article/Configuring-Impersonation-Protection-Definitions-2027248726

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think Office 365 ATP improves the filters in any way, it just performs things like extra scanning of file attachments and follows URLs to check for malicious links. The filtering is still awful when compared to what you get with G Suite.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Aww sheesh the wonders of remote equipment, when it comes to Macs what reasons/causes are there that stop them from registering in Windows DNS?
I've got one in particular (which'll be fun if its an endemic problem) that appears to be bound to AD that's gone dark to some services but is otherwise fine with it's VPN connectivity back to the corp network, its just the hostname isn't getting out.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The company is named after a magic crystal ball that's used by the lord of evil to spy on his enemies and drive them to suicidal despair before crushing them with overwhelming military might. It's very "Are we the baddies?".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think Office 365 ATP improves the filters in any way, it just performs things like extra scanning of file attachments and follows URLs to check for malicious links. The filtering is still awful when compared to what you get with G Suite.

Neutering links and other automated actions is definitely what you are getting from a lot of the 3rd party services. It just so happens that the 3rd parties are going a much better job of keeping an email from even getting to the inbox.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

Who's got mid-level cloudy career advice?

I'm doing devops-y stuff with a C# / .NET / AWS shop. It might be the case that my next career move is to an SRE position. From a casual looksee at job postings and chats with recruiters, employers seem to want SREs who are developers first and ops second. Would I be well served by doing a bootcamp or something else to work on actual programming skills? Some days I write powershell all day long, but I haven't ever done any proper programming except for a C class in college forever ago. I know bootcamps are universally shat on, but going from zero to interesting home-grown project seems like a big ask without any framework to extend upon.

Or maybe I should be sticking to my ops guns and push towards architect and start working for a consulting firm?

I guess what I'm asking is what skills should I, an ops heavy Windows-trained guy, develop to make myself attractive to every company that wants a devops unicorn (and is willing to pay for it :getin:)?

SRE is rapidly becoming the next DevOps, in that it means whatever the hell the person using the term wants it to mean. You'll encounter anything from the original Google vision of "what if we had software engineers tackle ops problems?" to "sysadmin gruntwork straight out of 1995, but we called it SRE to sound cooler and trick people into applying". So you'll need to read the job description and speak to someone at the company to figure out what you're getting into. Organizations running with the spirit of the Google definition will be looking primarily for developers who happen to also have strong systems skills. Which sounds like what you're seeing, too.

It really depends what you want to do. I don't think learning to code will ever be a bad decision for your career in tech, though. And if you do want to get into SRE, it's going to be necessary. Even if you decide to "stick to your ops guns" it's going to be hard to avoid. So much infrastructure these days is built and managed with things like Terraform, Ansible, Powershell, etc. As an architect you'll still want to be conversant in that stuff.

I guess the TLDR of this is yes, I think it's in your best interest to build some basic coding skills :) I can't speak to whether bootcamps are a good idea or not. Maybe you can find some automation projects in your current role and learn on the job. But getting that on your resume is going to be a pretty straight line to better paying work.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Kassad posted:

The company is named after a magic crystal ball that's used by the lord of evil to spy on his enemies and drive them to suicidal despair before crushing them with overwhelming military might. It's very "Are we the baddies?".
Well ok, sure that could be a issue. but more importantly, do they take you to lunch?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Docjowles posted:

SRE is rapidly becoming the next DevOps, in that it means whatever the hell the person using the term wants it to mean. You'll encounter anything from the original Google vision of "what if we had software engineers tackle ops problems?" to "sysadmin gruntwork straight out of 1995, but we called it SRE to sound cooler and trick people into applying". So you'll need to read the job description and speak to someone at the company to figure out what you're getting into. Organizations running with the spirit of the Google definition will be looking primarily for developers who happen to also have strong systems skills. Which sounds like what you're seeing, too.

It really depends what you want to do. I don't think learning to code will ever be a bad decision for your career in tech, though. And if you do want to get into SRE, it's going to be necessary. Even if you decide to "stick to your ops guns" it's going to be hard to avoid. So much infrastructure these days is built and managed with things like Terraform, Ansible, Powershell, etc. As an architect you'll still want to be conversant in that stuff.

I guess the TLDR of this is yes, I think it's in your best interest to build some basic coding skills :) I can't speak to whether bootcamps are a good idea or not. Maybe you can find some automation projects in your current role and learn on the job. But getting that on your resume is going to be a pretty straight line to better paying work.

I appreciate the reply. What might have gotten missed is that I lean heavily on Powershell. Some days (weeks) my entire workday is consumed by writing or fixing scripts. Finding things to automate isn't a problem, the question is more of 'given that Windows / Powershell SRE postings are vanishingly rare, am I handicapping myself by not knowing C# (or python or whatever)'

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

the question is more of 'given that Windows / Powershell SRE postings are vanishingly rare, am I handicapping myself by not knowing C# (or python or whatever)'

In my experience, powershell is used for the manipulation of hosts and how they interact with the environment. It’s super handy for a windows operations role, but nonexistent from an application standpoint. I use powershell to launch pre-baked or half-baked EC2 instances for auto scaling groups all the time.

For application development you’ll want c# for dotNet applications or python or (^gasp*) java for most everything else. Though I see tons of user-grown tools written in PHP because WAMP / WIMP typically seems to be babbys first application stack.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Knowing programming is good in general. That's almost entirely language agnostic.

Powershell is an absolute garbage language, but it's certainly better than batch and you can learn some programming concepts with strict mode and $ErrorActionPreference = "Stop" forcing you to actually build for robustness.

And since Powershell is so incredibly limited it forces you to reach into .NET for anything trivial-but-not-trivial-for-Powershell, like Set operations.

Powershell for application development is hilarious, but not in a good way. I've written multithreaded code in Powershell, including GUI code, and I never ever ever want to do that again (and I won't).

Learn Python. It's universally used in the Linux ecosystem, it has bindings for a ton of stuff, it is very malleable but still sane, and it scales from one-off scripts to GUI programs. It's the only language I use at work and at home.
If you're stuck with Windows, learn C# since a lot of the things not covered by Powershell commandlets require writing types in C# that you can use from Powershell. I have an utterly trivial script running on every login in our Windows computer pool that consists of 48 lines of C# to create a bunch of interfaces into COM and one line of Powershell to instrument that code to…mute audio.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A lot of the problem with PowerShell is that it doesn't have all the tools built into Windows that *nix has.

Something that would be a single command in bash ends up being a loving page long PowerShell monstrosity.

If you go over to /r/powershell your brain will loving explode. Going to be a real poo poo show in 5-10 years when companies have all these business processes running on hacked together PowerShell scrips that should have never seen the light of day.

gently caress, they were writing old school .BAT scripts at my old job in YTOL 2020 because nobody bothered to learn PowerShell. Not sure which is worse.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Learn Python. It's universally used in the Linux ecosystem, it has bindings for a ton of stuff, it is very malleable but still sane, and it scales from one-off scripts to GUI programs. It's the only language I use at work and at home.

Agree 100%. I've written so much random poo poo in Python. System scripts, data-processing poo poo I couldn't do in Excel, web apps, Windows GUI apps to create PDF's from SQL queries to an old IBM system, another one that communicated with a testing machine over serial...

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bob Morales posted:

A lot of the problem with PowerShell is that it doesn't have all the tools built into Windows that *nix has.

Something that would be a single command in bash ends up being a loving page long PowerShell monstrosity.

If you go over to /r/powershell your brain will loving explode. Going to be a real poo poo show in 5-10 years when companies have all these business processes running on hacked together PowerShell scrips that should have never seen the light of day.

gently caress, they were writing old school .BAT scripts at my old job in YTOL 2020 because nobody bothered to learn PowerShell. Not sure which is worse.

Azure deployments should be interesting by that time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I appreciate the reply. What might have gotten missed is that I lean heavily on Powershell. Some days (weeks) my entire workday is consumed by writing or fixing scripts. Finding things to automate isn't a problem, the question is more of 'given that Windows / Powershell SRE postings are vanishingly rare, am I handicapping myself by not knowing C# (or python or whatever)'

There are Windows SRE roles but as you noted, they are uncommon. Because honestly if you are spinning up a new SaaS business or whatever and you hope it takes off and scales hugely, why are you going to saddle yourself with the licensing costs of Windows, MSSQL, and so on? These jobs exist, but they're less common than postings for someone who can write Python or Go on Linux.

If you just love the Microsoft ecosystem, that's cool, you can probably find something. If your goal is to be as broadly appealing as a candidate as possible, yeah I would say you are handicapping yourself by not knowing a "real" programming language.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I can't read the Powershell related subreddits. They read extremely culty. Same goes for all the gushing blog posts about that one weird revelatory Powershell trick that cures cancer in this one very simple scenario. I wouldn't mind so much but do they have to be so extremely self-congratulatory over replicating >30 year old concepts? It took until Powershell 5.0 to introduce classes for crying out loud.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, I got super tired of the wider powershell community pretty quick.

Powershell really shines when you're automating tasks using first party modules, I wouldn't want to manage AD or O365 without it.

Anything more complicated and you need to transition to a 'proper' programming language.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yo, any MSSQL experts here? I have an odd question. If I enable encryption and load a valid server cert onto a SQL 2014 instance to allow for SSL/TLS connections, but set "force encryption" on the instance to no, can I still connect without the encrypt=true flag in the connection string? Or will those fail now? Reason for this being, if I have a mix of legacy apps that don't support encryption vs modern app that do.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Finding things to automate isn't a problem, the question is more of 'given that Windows / Powershell SRE postings are vanishingly rare, am I handicapping myself by not knowing C# (or python or whatever)'

You should absolutely learn Python. For better or worse, it is the programming language lingua franca right now, and while it does have some problems it is strictly an upgrade compared to Powershell.

You can, and should, swap all of your powershell scripts to being orchestrated by ansible, which is a python utility that interacts with windows hosts over winrm/psrp. The core of ansible's windows automation is a set of shared C# libs that are imported by powershell scripts and used to idempotently enforce a desired state that you will provide.

It's a great set of base requirements for your scripts, since ansible has a documented interface for any custom logic you need to build, and writing scripts to meet some defined interface is pretty much the lowest bar on the ladder of "I am actively creating technical debt with my nonsense" that climbs to "It is useful for me to write powershell at my job". It's also cross platform and can be used to manage any device or API you will encounter on the job market in the foreseeable future, and if you use it for tasks of even moderate complexity you will find yourself wanting to pop the hood and write some org-specific plugins for it, which ansible makes very easy and is also a good introduction to practical python in a project with some complexity.

C# is a wholly inoffensive language that is also extremely difficult to recommend for ops work. It's one of those things where either you're using it because everyone else is, or you have no reason to use it over a similar strongly typed "enterprise" language, which varies wildly based on your job. You can learn enough about programming in general from Python that if you ever need to transition into a C# role you'll be able to do it with only a bit of difficulty.

I can't think of a general purpose language that would be a better lead-in to C#/Java than Python, mostly because a lot of the things you get from those languages that you do not get from Python (strict typing, method overloads, static interfaces, etc) are things that are awful in general and should be avoided if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Kassad posted:

Sauron was the good guy and was helping to bring in the future. The books and movies are propaganda. Join Palantir don’t believe the lies.