Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

DropsySufferer posted:

Sauron was the good guy and was helping to bring in the future. The books and movies are propaganda. Join Palantir don’t believe the lies.
There is a good chance this is what Peter Thiel actually, unironically believes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

I can't read the Powershell related subreddits. They read extremely culty. Same goes for all the gushing blog posts about that one weird revelatory Powershell trick that cures cancer in this one very simple scenario. I wouldn't mind so much but do they have to be so extremely self-congratulatory over replicating >30 year old concepts? It took until Powershell 5.0 to introduce classes for crying out loud.

I have thankfully largely left the world of windows sysadmin work behind but I hated the smug "yeah I wrote a script and automated it" posts in some of the Powershell posts online. Like yes congratulations on piping out your lovely Get-ADUser report to a CSV file. Surely Bill Gates himself will come knocking on your door anytime now.

But I do need to learn some python soon. More and more of networking route/switch work is going to depend on knowing how to code to some degree.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
"On Monday, everyone received a mandatory compliance training email with deadlines for Information Security and Sexual Harassment. After careful review, we realized that the content contained in the Sexual Harassment trainings may not be compliant with the latest state and/or country laws, and will be reviewing and reloading those trainings in a few weeks."

Ooooh I haven't done it yet but now I'm super interested. It must be because of the supreme court LGBT discrimination ruling.

Also one of the trainings was "Protecting Against Spear Phishers (5min.)". I'd never actually heard that term used before.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

A lot of the problem with PowerShell is that it doesn't have all the tools built into Windows that *nix has.

Something that would be a single command in bash ends up being a loving page long PowerShell monstrosity.

If you go over to /r/powershell your brain will loving explode. Going to be a real poo poo show in 5-10 years when companies have all these business processes running on hacked together PowerShell scrips that should have never seen the light of day.

gently caress, they were writing old school .BAT scripts at my old job in YTOL 2020 because nobody bothered to learn PowerShell. Not sure which is worse.

It's me. I'm the guy who uses PowerShell for everything*.

*everything involving Windows Server/AD administration and that's pretty much it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

At one point I blacklisted basically all of Northeastern Europe (4.0.0.0 to 9.255.255.255) in one go.

And then went back in and punched a hole for our largest client who was in Finland after a couple people said "wow, spam's sure down today, but we haven't heard from $BIGCLIENT today...."

Wait. What? How does this even work? This isn't how IPs are allocated at all

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm on a call with Motorola regarding police radios, specifically linking consoles between locations.

They're seriously trying to sell me on the idea that we shouldn't use a direct fiber connection "because things are always changing and it's probably going to get dug up by someone" and they're saying we need a T1 instead.
Lol what the gently caress? How is that any better?

e:
I think I just hosed up... Dude on the call just said "I'm not really a networking guy, I'm more of a Layer 1"
I forgot to mute myself and said, "no you're a layer 8."

oh god now they're suggesting an "MPLS circuit instead of fiber" and I just said "yeah I think that's great, as long as it's not delivered over fiber that will get dug up"

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 8, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have to admit I had to look that up after mentally going over the OSI model and thinking to myself, there's no layer 8.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm on a call with Motorola regarding police radios, specifically linking consoles between locations.

They're seriously trying to sell me on the idea that we shouldn't use a direct fiber connection "because things are always changing and it's probably going to get dug up by someone" and they're saying we need a T1 instead.
Lol what the gently caress? How is that any better?

e:
I think I just hosed up... Dude on the call just said "I'm not really a networking guy, I'm more of a Layer 1"

oh god now they're suggesting an "MPLS circuit instead of fiber" and I just said "yeah I think that's great, as long as it's not delivered over fiber that will get dug up"

Ah, yes, fiber is much more likely to go suddenly extinct than a T1.
I had never heard the term "layer 8" before (I'm only peripherally involved in networking), but looking it up, it make perfect sense.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
ID-10-T and PEBKAC errors are all Layer 8 issues.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Agrikk posted:

Everyone telling me to learn python

Thanks everyone! I'm really comfortable (in terms of imposter syndrome and competence) at my current job but I suspect I'm underpaid given what I could be doing with newer tech and a more interesting scope, and I don't want to be left behind and become one of those lifers who's carved out his niche and can never leave

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 8, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Can anyone tell me the actual benefits of Windows 10 over Windows 7?

I just sat down at my music production PC and pulled up an old project. The machine I used is a Windows 7 box based on an AMD Athlon II X4 and Cubase just completely barfed. I realized that I used my primary PC to create this piece of music and it has a more modern i5-6600 CPU, but it is using Windows 10 and I had a bunch of problems running my (ancient) version of Cubase on it, which is why I built the second PC out of parts.

So now I have a couple of options:
1. Buy new music production software and various plugins ($1200)
2. Buy new/old PC parts off of ebay and install windows 7 on that ($350)
3. Downgrade my main PC from Windows 10 to Windows 7 and install everything on my main PC (free)

Three is the obvious option, but I'm concerned about the landmine that I don't see, like notepad++ won't run on Win7, or Steam has some weird dependency on Windows 10, or whatever compatibility issue might exist.

edit:
4. Dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10. (free)

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 8, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Windows Subsystem for Linux is baller.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Windows 10 is still receiving security updates

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Agrikk posted:

I just sat down at my music production PC and pulled up an old project. The machine I used is a Windows 7 box based on an AMD Athlon II X4 and Cubase just completely barfed. I realized that I used my primary PC to create this piece of music and it has a more modern i5-6600 CPU, but it is using Windows 10 and I had a bunch of problems running my (ancient) version of Cubase on it, which is why I built the second PC out of parts.

3. Downgrade my main PC from Windows 10 to Windows 7 and install everything on my main PC (free)

Three is the obvious option, but I'm concerned about the landmine that I don't see, like notepad++ won't run on Win7, or Steam has some weird dependency on Windows 10, or whatever compatibility issue might exist.

edit:

if it connects to the internet at all, windows 7 is not a safe option.

if it's all offline, it may be reasonable to do it there.

my question is - can you not do it in a VM?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Agrikk posted:

edit:

Windows 7 isn't going to get security updates so as long as you never put those computers on a network that will get them onto the internet you can run windows 7 all you want; otherwise 10 is going to be the way to go. Windows 10 leaves a lot to be desired but it's better than it was when released.

As for your options, number 1 is going to be needed eventually but if you're making money from music then it makes sense to buy the software to enable that every few years (how often depends on how much you need it. I tend to keep MS Office from 2010 despite 2019 being available and I'll never get their subscription). Number 2 is fine if you want to hold out for a while, but Windows 7 doesn't support CPUs above 6th generation, so your Skylake machine (option 3) would be fine to run windows 7 but nothing newer will without some workarounds.

You can also try some of the windows 7 compatibility stuff in windows 10 as a fourth option if you haven't yet. I haven't had to mess with it much on 10 but if you run the compatibility troubleshooter on your application it might be able to smooth out issues.

edit: also buying an older machine for an offline sound studio could be cheaper than $350. Dell optiplexes are often in the $200 range for haswell stuff. Toss in a SSD and you're good to go.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Happiness Commando posted:

Thanks everyone! I'm really comfortable (in terms of imposter syndrome and competence) at my current job but I suspect I'm underpaid given what I could be doing with newer tech and a more interesting scope, and I don't want to be left behind and become one of those lifers who's carved out his niche and can never leave

I went through this recently, and rewriting a bunch of my powershell into python went fairly quickly and taught me a lot.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just had a fantastic bug that made the last 2 hours miserable.

4 months ago I had made a typo by typing a - instead of a .

In my wonderful rats nest of a homegrown k8s deployer system this one typo'd variable is only ever used once, to render kube-proxy configs on the 2nd and later runs. It is apparently never used for rendering kubelet configs.

So when my cluster was initially built, everything was fine.
When we ran the ansible to make some changes to the cluster, everything was fine, but we had set a timebomb

When I added new nodes to the cluster after setting the timebomb, I had a very specific situation of failures because despite kube-proxy have an invalid config, it ran anyway. But in a secretly non-functional state!

trainwreck of figuring out why dns wasn't working when it was actually fine and correct in telling me my -'d name was non existent. The problem manifestation was that cilium was unable to speak to the k8s api server on the internal network, which sounds a lot like cilium's job to make sure works in the first place!

code:
host="https://10.96.0.1:443" subsys=k8s
level=error msg="Unable to contact k8s api-server" error="Get [url]https://10.96.0.1:443/api/v1/namespaces/kube-system:[/url]
fixing the typo and restarting everything fixed everything.

I loving hate computers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

need a new http cert and for dumb reasons can't use LE

Last time I had to buy one of these I used NS and it was terrible.

Any recommendations on someone who is less terrible for a one-off cert purchase?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

digicert or just go through sslstore.com

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I have some things to think about.

Thanks Ants posted:

Windows 10 is still receiving security updates

drat. I forgot about this.

Rexxed posted:

As for your options, number 1 is going to be needed eventually but if you're making money from music then it makes sense to buy the software to enable that every few years (how often depends on how much you need it. I tend to keep MS Office from 2010 despite 2019 being available and I'll never get their subscription). Number 2 is fine if you want to hold out for a while, but Windows 7 doesn't support CPUs above 6th generation, so your Skylake machine (option 3) would be fine to run windows 7 but nothing newer will without some workarounds.

I use Office 2013 for the same reason. Screw that subscription poo poo. I'm holding out as long as I can. And I'm not making money off of this. This is a hobby for me and my band so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade if I don't have to.

But I didn't know that about CPU compatibility. Hrm... It seems I have other things to think about that just windows 7 and lack of updates.

quote:

You can also try some of the windows 7 compatibility stuff in windows 10 as a fourth option if you haven't yet. I haven't had to mess with it much on 10 but if you run the compatibility troubleshooter on your application it might be able to smooth out issues.

Windows 10 compatibility doesn't work well nor reliably in this case. Which is why I built a dedicated windows 7 machine in the first place. I'd love it if it did because then all of this would be moot.

The Iron Rose posted:

my question is - can you not do it in a VM?

A VM with hardware passthough for the audio interface injects too much latency into things. I tried this early on but it caused dropped signal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Fool posted:

need a new http cert and for dumb reasons can't use LE

Last time I had to buy one of these I used NS and it was terrible.

Any recommendations on someone who is less terrible for a one-off cert purchase?

I like Gandi

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I had never heard the term "layer 8" before (I'm only peripherally involved in networking), but looking it up, it make perfect sense.
Layer 8 is where the majority of your networking issues are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

I also like to blame the network engineer for everything.

OH That reminds me! I built a website for changing passwords remotely. Took all the required steps to get it approved in record time, made sure everyone was aware and everything was kosher, plunked it on an internal server (as opposed to the DMZ because gently caress that) and it works great.

Until the next day...

Apparently our network engineer decided that we cannot have our VPN VLANS talking to any servers because it's a security risk as a result of my website. So he blocked traffic from the VPN and Guacamole server (which is already on the 'server VLAN') to everything else.

As a result, nobody can log into anything :)

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 9, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I sure do love it when network engineers get a hair up their rear end and just start changing poo poo without talking it over with people. I love it even more when they cause an outage because of it!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im in the middle of doing up a quote for an azure sql vm, and I dont want to look like an idiot by missing something basic. The CAL/per cpu licensing doesnt really apply anymore, unless you are bringing your own license, does it?

I have the cost of the VM, a firewall, storage, backup, virtual network, bandwidth. Am I missing anything else obvious?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

devmd01 posted:

I sure do love it when network engineers get a hair up their rear end and just start changing poo poo without talking it over with people. I love it even more when they cause an outage because of it!

Still can't RDP to anything on any other subnet other than the one I'm on so that's pretty loving cool.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Still can't RDP to anything on any other subnet other than the one I'm on so that's pretty loving cool.

Reminder: for extra security on your Linux machines, leave the 'gateway = ' line out of network.conf ! Hackers hate it !

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mllaneza posted:

Reminder: for extra security on your Linux machines, leave the 'gateway = ' line out of network.conf ! Hackers hate it !

Oh so you know the guys running the pen test we are using at work. Had to log into twice, once to set a static, then when it was moved to another network, to set dhcp. They messed up both times.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

NPR Journalizard posted:

Im in the middle of doing up a quote for an azure sql vm, and I dont want to look like an idiot by missing something basic. The CAL/per cpu licensing doesnt really apply anymore, unless you are bringing your own license, does it?

I have the cost of the VM, a firewall, storage, backup, virtual network, bandwidth. Am I missing anything else obvious?

Is this for Azure SQL or for an IaaS VM running MSSQL? I assume the latter but that all seems good. Is this just a single SQL server instance or a AG?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I also like to blame the network engineer for everything.

OH That reminds me! I built a website for changing passwords remotely. .., plunked it on an internal server (as opposed to the DMZ because gently caress that) and it works great.

hmmmm

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Is this for Azure SQL or for an IaaS VM running MSSQL? I assume the latter but that all seems good. Is this just a single SQL server instance or a AG?

VM running MSSQL. Single server proof of concept for now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

:ohdear: wait is it actually a problem to have an internal-only website that can only talk to authenticated sessions on the remote landing pad?
Did I do a bad?

e: we have Azure password self service disabled as well as o365 access, and no plans to change that apparently. So I'm kind of out of options here...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 9, 2020

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Love to submit 5 trivial PRs to fix small things and get bullshit nitpick NEEDS WORK comments on all of them because somebody's always got to have some 'contribution'

Really. you're going to mark my PR as bad because you think this means there is an initial 10 second delay before executing the task.

code:
  register: apt_success
  retries: 10
  delay: 10
  until: apt_success is success
I'm so tired of this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Collateral Damage posted:

FTFY

devmd01 posted:

Almost like Change Management isn't a thing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Almost like Change Management isn't a thing.

I like it when change management is applied selectively.

Especially when working with another group in my org. If I ask them for a thing there's a 50/50 chance that they'll do it right there, or tell me it needs to go through the change board.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't have any sort of change management. Just get 'er done!

Gealar
May 2, 2013

TheFace posted:

Windows search gets really fun in non-persistent VDI. You either turn off Windows search to avoid the issues, which is a poo poo user experience. You leave it on, which is then a poo poo experience for the first several hours of the user using the machine as it builds a search cache. Or you use one of the assorted ways to roam the windows search cache... the one I've tried (Appsense/Ivanti) would randomly break, leaving a broken search cache which would mess up Windows search in general.

It never ceases to amaze me the things I find out during the conversations that go on here. I could never figure out why the first hour or so of our xen desktop machines would be horrible and then settle back to normal. Probably never would have since I moved us away from it because of the weird crap like this.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Vendor tells me to go to the O365 page to sign up for ATP. Microsoft's own verification page is 100% busted and won't send any call/text in Firefox, Chrome, or the new Microsoft Tide Pod.

It's also kinda loving rude:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lol

The o365 admin portal css breaks for me occasionally, looks very similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Methanar posted:

Love to submit 5 trivial PRs to fix small things and get bullshit nitpick NEEDS WORK comments on all of them because somebody's always got to have some 'contribution'

Really. you're going to mark my PR as bad because you think this means there is an initial 10 second delay before executing the task.

code:
  register: apt_success
  retries: 10
  delay: 10
  until: apt_success is success
I'm so tired of this.

lmao