Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Seems like a great plan. Go WFH so there's less immediate supervision and cut coffee to ensure remaining office employees are as resentful and non-productive as possible.

We still have to have one person on-site per shift (but we're limited to only one person) so there's still someone here who could be drinking the loving coffee, just not a manager so "into the trash it goes" (as the kids say these days).

It was a loving k-cup machine too so it's not like there was waste (of coffee, I mean, k-cups is still real real bad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You guys get coffee machines!?! we had to all chip in and buy our own

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

You guys get coffee machines!?! we had to all chip in and buy our own

I worship at the altar of this fine employer provided machine

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I just spent 3 days trying to figure out why an external load balancer wouldn't pass traffic to the nodes on a GKE cluster because everyone kept assuring me the network tag on the node doesn't meant a firewall will block it. Guess what? Firewall rules blocked it.

Also GCP support was entirely useless

I need a drink

Sepist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 7, 2020

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nuclearmonkee posted:

We've got these too (plus another similar machine in the cafeteria from a different manufacturer) and they're pretty sweet, one of the perks I definitely appreciate when I have to travel to the office, which won't happen again until at least 2021.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nuclearmonkee posted:

We have one of those, but tea was really popular in the office, so the option for "hot water" had a little icon next to it saying "MOST POPULAR!!!"

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
We bought a £20 drip coffee machine and only use the finest coffee ever procured by man: Aldi's ground Colombian

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What kind of dystopian hell do you live in where they remove the (free, of course) coffee from the office?

Seriously.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wibla posted:

What kind of dystopian hell do you live in where they remove the (free, of course) coffee from the office?

Seriously.

In an badde shoppe?

:shrug:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Wibla posted:

Seriously.

The last place I worked at had Keurigs in each building and floor but removed them when the company started sinking. As if the cost to purchase those and the K-Cups were magically going to help the company from bleeding money from the top.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Wibla posted:

Seriously.

Work for the government.

I can't imagine the clusterfuck that would occur if someone tried to get a coffee machine put in somewhere, much less taxpayer-funded coffee.

Now I'm trying to figure out how we'd do the bidding for the coffee filter contract and ... just no.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

The last place I worked at had Keurigs in each building and floor but removed them when the company started sinking. As if the cost to purchase those and the K-Cups were magically going to help the company from bleeding money from the top.

When they start cutting stuff like that you should be distributing resumes in earnest.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wibla posted:

Seriously.

I worked nights as a temp at a NOC for a telecoms company. They had a wonderful WMF machine that would grind on demand, Illy beans, milk foamer, the works. Of course they would shut that off at the end of the normal working hours and run the cleaning cycle and then start it up at 8am for 9-5ers, leaving us with lovely instant coffee machines for the night shift.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I got written up once for using "non standard" pods in the coffee machine at my old job. Turns out they take the recycling thing really seriously and the pods I was bringing in "didn't conform" to their standards and that was a good reason for me to get an actual honest to god write-up from HR.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I went into the building yesterday for the first time since March to pick up some personal effects.

It was weird. Like a "this place is designed for people and yet there are no people" weird.

Lights were on, and two service folks were cleaning a bathroom, but there was no one home.

edit: coffee area was fully stocked, though

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 7, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Wibla posted:

Seriously.

I did some work for a company that charged employees .30c for each napkin and my plastic fork at the corporate HQ Cafeteria.

And of course, I expensed it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wibla posted:

Seriously.

That happened and then we got a Keurig for the heathens that drank coffee.

After they found out they were spending $30-50 on k-cups each month, they made us buy them at 50 cents each.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The Fool posted:

oh man, ansible + terraform is like having a super power

I'm a few pages behind because I have a coding exercise as homework for an interview that asked for an ansible+[vagrant or terraform] implementation to POC some open source thing that has an Ansible module.

I know none of those.

It's a testament to how loving simple Terraform is that even though I freaked the gently caress out, I could stand up an EC2/VPC based AWS environment in only a few hours, and most of that was learning the syntax.

I'm still freaked out at Ansible and the POC tech, though 😕 I have until Monday.

I'm a windows/powershell guy for fucks sake. I know I need to learn Linux, but maybe not when I have an interview riding on it...

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 7, 2020

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm still freaked out at Ansible and the POC tech, though 😕 I have until Monday.

I can't say enough about good things about Geerling's Ansible 101 youtube series. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2_OBreMn7FqZkvMYt6ATmgC0KAGGJNAN
I went from "What's Ansible" to passing the Ansible Technical Eval for Red Hat using it and building out a dumb playbook to install and configure a Minecraft server.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Zaepho posted:

I can't say enough about good things about Geerling's Ansible 101 youtube series. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2_OBreMn7FqZkvMYt6ATmgC0KAGGJNAN
I'm cribbing a bunch of stuff from his blog already :haw:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agrikk posted:

I went into the building yesterday for the first time since March to pick up some personal effects.

It was weird. Like a "this place is designed for people and yet there are no people" weird.

Lights were on, and two service folks were cleaning a bathroom, but there was no one home.

edit: coffee area was fully stocked, though

Were the office plants ok?

:ohdear:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

afaik Azure does not have static sites hosting in a storage bucket like s3
I was actually trying to set up a redirect in Azure recently and it was significantly more complicated than doing it in AWS with an S3 bucket

[edit: apparently I'm wrong - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/blobs/storage-blob-static-website , doesn't seem like it's as easy to do a redirect with this, but I am sure you could drop in the html code yourself]

You can do redirects on Azure CDN

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cdn/cdn-standard-rules-engine

Antioch posted:

I got written up once for using "non standard" pods in the coffee machine at my old job. Turns out they take the recycling thing really seriously and the pods I was bringing in "didn't conform" to their standards and that was a good reason for me to get an actual honest to god write-up from HR.

It's not a situation I've had to deal with but I genuinely think I'd struggle to engage on any level with something so petty. Like emails from HR would be ignored levels of non-engagement.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 8, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

When they start cutting stuff like that you should be distributing resumes in earnest.

I worked there for nearly 3 years as a contractor, my boss really wanted to just get me converted to an actual salary employee but bureaucracy. He said almost everyone through that department gets converted within 6 months. I didn't get a pay raise either and the company kept reducing people and eventually I got let go because they didn't want to renew my contract. So I spent almost every month wondering if I would even have a job after watching over 5k people get canned in that time.

Now I'm with a company who has been doubling their revenue each of the last 4 years, bought a leading competitor and has been making great strides to make people the focus. Feels good to have a near limitless budget at your disposal and coworkers who work with hope rather than justification.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I work for an Italian company. In the Milan HQ they have several Nespresso Machines around the office, but they didn't provide the pods. People used to keep a bunch in their desk for their personal use. It was considered a sign of great respect to share your pods with coworkers. They were traded like cigarettes it was nuts.

They moved offices and in the new office announced they were going to provide the pods, and the staff went nuts with applause.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is neat. May check this out and switch it over. It's funny, if you do a Google search for redirect in Azure the solutions that come up are more convoluted.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I work for an Italian company. In the Milan HQ they have several Nespresso Machines around the office, but they didn't provide the pods. People used to keep a bunch in their desk for their personal use. It was considered a sign of great respect to share your pods with coworkers. They were traded like cigarettes it was nuts.

They moved offices and in the new office announced they were going to provide the pods, and the staff went nuts with applause.

Having free pods is a rarity, most Italian firms will have coffee vending machines at best and a handful of machines in the offices brought and left by employees to avoid wasting a shitload of cash on the vending machines/nearby bars.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 8, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We ran out of coffee once, everything ground to a halt until we had that sorted :v:

Norwegian engineering offices run on caffeine. No caffeine, no engineering.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We had a big bean to cup machine and a coffee supplier that at least claimed to pay the bean growers a fairer price. It's the only thing I miss about going into the office.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://iheartmedia.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External_iHM/job/San-Antonio-TX-Stone-Oak/Cloud-Solution-Architect_Req21337-1

recruiter called me about this, you're gonna run a team of 5 solution techs and help scrum the development, then do development for this, and talk to the C levels about what you're doing.

the max is 120k

oh and they want you in the office.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wibla posted:

everything ground to a halt

I see what you did there.

e: is it really that hard to have Teams auto-mute windows notifications when you're in a meeting?
Focus Assist is a thing that exists, but Teams can't stop Outlook from BLOOPING at you a bajillion times while you're trying to have your stand up.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 8, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

e: is it really that hard to have Teams auto-mute windows notifications when you're in a meeting?
Focus Assist is a thing that exists, but Teams can't stop Outlook from BLOOPING at you a bajillion times while you're trying to have your stand up.

i usually set up the win10 notification assistant to "Drop anything" and outlook wont say a peep. As a matter of fact outlook won't notify about poo poo even when notification assist is off tho...

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Speaking of Outlook notifications, the only ones I get are when an email comes in, but the notification always references an entirely different email for some reason. Basically at this point Windows has trained me to disable/ignore notifications which is not super helpful.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Schadenboner posted:

Were the office plants ok?

:ohdear:

No office plants. That would require maintenance, requiring someone to do the maintenance, requiring someone to get paid for the maintenance. And that simply cannot happen.

Frugality, you see.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:sun:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 21, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I work in manufacturing and we have one addin and that's Webex.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

My peak add-in count for outlook has been one.

It is typically a webex, zoom, chime, or other online meeting scheduler thingy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zotix posted:

Is it common in other industries for companies to load 20 add-ins for Office products or is this just a legal industry thing? One crash and half the add-ins just stop working.

ERP plug-in
KnowBe4
spam button
Zoom
CRM

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Zotix posted:

Is it common in other industries for companies to load 20 add-ins for Office products or is this just a legal industry thing? One crash and half the add-ins just stop working.

I think we only have 12, but I'm also in legal. Two of those are iManage components, though, so they count double.

We've had pretty good luck forcing the addins to be enabled via the resiliency registry settings in Outlook 2019, though. Better than in 2010 where they would disable themselves for any reason, regardless of what you set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

https://iheartmedia.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External_iHM/job/San-Antonio-TX-Stone-Oak/Cloud-Solution-Architect_Req21337-1

recruiter called me about this, you're gonna run a team of 5 solution techs and help scrum the development, then do development for this, and talk to the C levels about what you're doing.

the max is 120k

oh and they want you in the office.

The max is 120k?

That should be starting even for a low cost of living place like San Antonio.