Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Great feedback and thoughts from what I posted all, thank you. I work for a large place so I doubt I have much individual freedom, but the context and perspective is very helpful.

Now to get more certifications and build my non-existent GitHub portfolio so I can actually be competitive if I do want to leave. I've been saying that for years and I can't keep ignoring the needful.

Don't wait! Start looking now! Start or polish up your LinkedIn.

More things to make you attractive to a potential new employer are great, but if you are doing the job now, then you can do the job for them. And even with that, plenty of folks make leaps into jobs that they are not "ready" for. If you aren't careful, you'll end up putting your job search off way longer than necessary.

I'll use myself and my wife as an example. I have no degree and no certs. I have done plenty and never had trouble finding a job. My wife started out as a paralegal, has no relevant degree or certs, and is now a lead data engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Inner Light posted:

Any excellent catch-all certs you all would recommend? I can't imagine this is the first time getting asked in the thread so apologies if this is repetitive or if there's a better place to consult.

I have a DevOps background and am working up the specialization chain for AWS and Azure (I have the intro certs for both), plus I am working on getting a HashiCorp Terraform cert soon. Any others off the top of your heads worth exploring?

Of course everybody has different specializations and interests too, don't be afraid to suggest more esoteric ones if they've struck you as particularly valuable or interesting..

CKA or CKAD is nice to show you know your way around k8s if your resume doesn’t.

Red Hat certs are nice as well.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Inner Light posted:

Any excellent catch-all certs you all would recommend? I can't imagine this is the first time getting asked in the thread so apologies if this is repetitive or if there's a better place to consult.

I have a DevOps background and am working up the specialization chain for AWS and Azure (I have the intro certs for both), plus I am working on getting a HashiCorp Terraform cert soon. Any others off the top of your heads worth exploring?

Of course everybody has different specializations and interests too, don't be afraid to suggest more esoteric ones if they've struck you as particularly valuable or interesting..

Terraform and Azure are both completely on fire right now. With a DevOps background and Azure/TF you’re talking big dollar jobs right now.

I’d recommend skipping all certs for Azure except the Solution Architect Expert - the test is insanely easy and it’s considered the ‘top’ Azure cert.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://zoomescaper.com/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i am a moron posted:

Terraform and Azure are both completely on fire right now. With a DevOps background and Azure/TF you’re talking big dollar jobs right now.

I’d recommend skipping all certs for Azure except the Solution Architect Expert - the test is insanely easy and it’s considered the ‘top’ Azure cert.

Echoing that

Even without the certs if you have demonstrable azure and terraform experience you can walk into a 6 figure job right now

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m not a super advanced TF user (I just don’t use it every day cause I’m not really an engineer anymore) but having the amount of experience I do with deploying to Azure has been worth an extra $30k a year easy. And finding folks with an Azure background is drat near impossible right now for the amount of adoption that’s going on

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

When I interview people I spend maybe 30 seconds on certs and education. Neither one of those are accurate gauges of technical ability unless it's an insanely difficult one like a CCIE or something. Otherwise it's all about the technical interview, lab, and making sure they aren't a weird gremlin that has trouble interacting with regular humans.

There are so many people I've interviewed that look like they should have my job on paper but have basically zero useful technical knowledge or ability.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There are so many people I've interviewed that look like they should have my job on paper but have basically zero useful technical knowledge or ability.

drat, I feel attacked right now.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I used to agree, but between companies chasing partner status, huge companies with strict HR reqs and government it can be something you either need at a baseline or makes you very attractive pre-interview

Edit: I mean I agree they say nothing about actual skill, but I wouldn’t recommend not bothering anymore

Edit 2: which you might not have been saying anyways, phone posting wooooo

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 6, 2021

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

i am a moron posted:

I used to agree, but between companies chasing partner status, huge companies with strict HR reqs and government it can be something you either need at a baseline or makes you very attractive pre-interview

Yeah you just need enough to leap the hurdle to get past HR and into the technical interview. I don't have as much of one to deal with in wood products but it's different in other industries/govt. Basically it's just 4y degree or equivalent experience here as the baseline.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

drat, I feel attacked right now.

Only have room for one idiot around here I need other people to do the work!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Oh poo poo, you should be making bank right now with that sort of skill set. I would skip certs entirely and listen to the developers here for advice, I have more of an infrastructure/networking background where certs play a bigger role. All I could say is get some good stuff posted in your GitHub, and maybe have a few Medium posts on some topics, but I would again defer to the experts here.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

You can never time the job market so should always be looking - how many people got hosed graduating into recessions or whatever?

Personally at least in my area the market feels hot, 3 of the best jobs I've ever seen have crossed my desk in the past quarter, one of them is the one I accepted and am moving to.*

*You never know until you work somewhere but excellent money that's a notch higher than pre pandemic, good benefits, everyone bending over backward to talk about flexible options

edit: just woke up from a nice nap with the cat :)

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 6, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Stop talking about poo poo that doesn’t matter. This is a work from hone life changer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

drat, you all are making me want to job hop. I don't want to doxx myself but I have been trying to get promo'd to manager at a very big non-FAANG place. There is only one cycle each year, at the end of the year. I'll see if I make it this year, and if not I will look very hard at other options.

Hope that sounds like a reasonable strategy. My resume is not incredible and I've hopped in the past (sub 1 year, without a good story), so if I jump ship I really want to stick around for a year or more at the new one. I know IT is a different area in this respect but if I have more than a couple sub 1 year hops it is going to be a very big barrier to getting my resume out of an auto 'no' pile, in my opinion, based on what I've heard from hiring managers on SA.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 6, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Inner Light posted:

drat, you all are making me want to job hop. I don't want to doxx myself but I have been trying to get promo'd to manager at a very big non-FAANG place. There is only one cycle each year, at the end of the year. I'll see if I make it this year, and if not I will look very hard at other options.

Hope that sounds like a reasonable strategy. My resume is not incredible and I've hopped in the past (sub 1 year, without a good story), so if I jump ship I really want to stick around for a year or more at the new one. I know IT is a different area in this respect but if I have more than a couple sub 1 year hops it is going to be a very big barrier to getting my resume out of an auto 'no' pile, in my opinion, based on what I've heard from hiring managers on SA.

It’s not job hopping. It’s career and financial upgrades. It’s up to companies to keep you interested.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

jaegerx posted:

It’s not job hopping. It’s career and financial upgrades. It’s up to companies to keep you interested.

It is very rare in the labor market that you have any sort of 'leverage' and multiple people bidding for your time/services is as close as you will ever get.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

bus hustler posted:

It is very rare in the labor market that you have any sort of 'leverage' and multiple people bidding for your time/services is as close as you will ever get.

Be the whore you were meant to be.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

bus hustler posted:

You can never time the job market so should always be looking - how many people got hosed graduating into recessions or whatever?

Me! That was me! May 2008!! It was soooo good.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Why would anyone want to get into management?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

klosterdev posted:

Being the only competent person in IT sounds like a recipe for burnout and never being able to take an uninterrupted vacation

Having coworkers and a boss I can trust to take care of poo poo when I'm working on other things rules

Can confirm, this is a really lovely position to be in.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Bonzo posted:

So the wife and I have been watching all the Marvel movies since we are on lockdown. Is Larry Ellison a big Iron Man fan or something? I don't remember ever seeing product placement like Enterprise Manager before and Jarvis has lines like, "Sending data to the Oracle Cloud".

lmao thank god I never watched those movies I would have screamed

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MrKatharsis posted:

Really?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ptier posted:

Me! That was me! May 2008!! It was soooo good.

I was in the middle of a two week holiday and about to go into my final year of university when Lehman Brothers collapsed, the place I'd spent a year working for as part of my degree withdrew their offer of a grad position and a friend of mine from school had been at Lehman for about four weeks and lost his job. It was an interesting time.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

Weird flex to not watch any of the 22 top movies in the last 12 years.

I bet you’re fun at parties

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

Stop talking about poo poo that doesn’t matter. This is a work from hone life changer.

Look old timer, just because you found something new to you doesn't mean it's new to the rest of us. :corsair:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

skipdogg posted:

Why would anyone want to get into management?

I don't hate management and I'm pretty good at it but I don't want to go deeper into it. I have always had a good "big picture" view of my departments & actually do really well at allocating resources, keeping my team motivated, etc.

But it's incredibly unengaging & I totally felt myself slipping into a deep bitterness w/ the profession and banging my head against the wall.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bus hustler posted:

I don't hate management and I'm pretty good at it but I don't want to go deeper into it. I have always had a good "big picture" view of my departments & actually do really well at allocating resources, keeping my team motivated, etc.

But it's incredibly unengaging & I totally felt myself slipping into a deep bitterness w/ the profession and banging my head against the wall.

Keep climbing that ladder and make that manager cheddar.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Really not a given unless you’re getting to the director or exec level, if you’re managing people in IT there is a very good chance your reports will outearn you. Lot harder to find technical experts than it is to find their babysitter

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah my boss refuses to hire people that will make more than him. So we don't tend to get the best people.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hughmoris posted:

There is little reason for me other than this, to be transparent. At my firm, like many, there is a firm pay ceiling at a substantially lower level before you hit manager.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Yeah my boss refuses to hire people that will make more than him. So we don't tend to get the best people.

haha what the gently caress

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also during every review he says "I havent gotten a raise other that CoL in 20 years".

Yeah that's on you buddy, not my problem you suck rear end at promoting yourself. Pay me more, thanks.

That's also why the company is going outside to hire a CIO and you've never been promoted.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

I have spent a lot of time starting at oracle enterprise manager and a lot of time needlessly suffering through oracle cloud POCs so yes. That would have made me walk out of the theater.

Iron Man was cool when I was twelve but I’m over him now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Hughmoris posted:

I just got a $65,000 raise giving up management :clint:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bus hustler posted:

I just got a $65,000 raise giving up management :clint:

Hughmoris posted:

That's awesome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Applied for a system administrator job at the biggest hospital system tri-county area (4500 employees) on Thursday. Got a call from the staffing place, someone with a very thick accent basically read me the job description and asked if I was interested. Said his manager would call me back in ten minutes.

A half hour ago. :(

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Applied for a system administrator job at the biggest hospital system tri-county area (4500 employees) on Thursday. Got a call from the staffing place, someone with a very thick accent basically read me the job description and asked if I was interested. Said his manager would call me back in ten minutes.

A half hour ago. :(

I'm still waiting, months laters, for the dozens of recruiters who said they'd call me back the next day regardless of the outcome. #JustRecruiterThings

Also, the recruiter called me the day after the interview I bombed last week, asked me how it was and then said she hadn't spoken to the people I interviewed with but would call me back by the end of the day. Still waiting. Imagine the plot twist if they called me to offer me the job.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

I was in the middle of a two week holiday and about to go into my final year of university when Lehman Brothers collapsed, the place I'd spent a year working for as part of my degree withdrew their offer of a grad position and a friend of mine from school had been at Lehman for about four weeks and lost his job. It was an interesting time.

Everyone was still “hiring” but your resume went into a similar mechanism like a hell-ban. It’s was nuts. I hung out as a part time Apple toucher job at my uni and then went into patent examining, which for some who likes building things... was not the right choice. But they hired me so yea.

ptier fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Certs get poo poo on to a certain extent, but they absolutely played a part in me advancing my career.

Ive steadily been able to get more well regarded certs, alongside relevant work experience, to put myself in a position to job hop whenever I want to. Definitely go get some certs to help yourself out!

Yo certs ain't no joke.
I've been at it for almost a week now trying to update our certs because there has been literally no documentation on it previously so I have to painstakingly comb through literally every product/service/server (not just the obvious public facing ones) to make sure that they are documented and not just updated.
It is pretty amazing the number of things that <just exist> which use certs and might not be given a second thought until they stop working for no immediately obvious reason.