Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

i am a moron posted:

I take a metric gently caress ton of unlimited PTO lol

Apparently I have -11 days left in absence.io. Yeah sorry bitches. I’m still taking more days off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I want to see what the Azure DNS Private Resolver "run at a fraction of the price of traditional IaaS solutions" ends up being.

Technically 5/4ths is still a fraction.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

my boss left me on read. I can’t wait for Monday after fixing one of the biggest customers we have by pointing out how bad they are.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Vargatron posted:

Can somebody explain to me why McAfee tries to get bundled up with Adobe Reader whenever you download it off the site? I know you can just unclick the checkboxes but good lord they must have a contract or something.

McAfee has the same business model as most scams - make it as easily avoidable as possible, and your "customer" base is already the dumbest people possible and the most likely to give you money.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

jaegerx posted:

Still unlimited time off is a scam and if you’re working at one of those companies take 2 months off a year. poo poo I might not work mondays ever again.

I stopped working Mondays this year and it's cool and good. But the best move is not working at all.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Jeoh posted:

I stopped working Mondays this year and it's cool and good. But the best move is not working at all.

Unfortunately I didn’t win the lotto yet.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

sixth and maimed posted:

put together my project motorcycle

We need to hear more about this. What kind of project do you have and why didn’t you post pics already?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I think I might quit my job Monday. I am not happy and have plenty of money to survive for 6 months at my current expediture.

If i had food poisoning from an ihop omlette I expect someone of the 7 techs I work with to step up so I don't get my boss txting me at noon how they all failed.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

RS is migrating some of our clients to a new server but they won't tell us which client until we call and shake them for answers, they wont give us a timetable, and also we have to fully rebuild profiles and update phone apps because of how their autodiscover works (read: doesnt work). They are a nightmare.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jaegerx posted:

I think I might quit my job Monday. I am not happy and have plenty of money to survive for 6 months at my current expediture.

If i had food poisoning from an ihop omlette I expect someone of the 7 techs I work with to step up so I don't get my boss txting me at noon how they all failed.

When you do this and get the speech about being a "team player" then you'll know it was the right choice

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7129653280321408302

Which one of you made this? Show yourself!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Totally jaegerx

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Counter complete. 15% more dosh. More vacay. Fully remote.

How do I keep stumbling upward like this

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Totally jaegerx

I only have 3 macbook pros.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I only have 3 macbook pros.

I have a nice shiny one today and another in the mail.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Once again I find myself making a change in my work (changing customers, not roles or orgs) and after telling my boss I instantly felt that it was the right decision. I wonder what took me so long.

I look back at my three-plus decade career and see all of the time I spent navel-gazing and unhappy rather than doing something proactive for my career and am bummed.

Admittedly, work has never been my priority and zooming up the ladder has never interested me, but drat. The person who hired me at my role is now six-ish levels above me.

I tell myself they work fifty hours weeks and I work maaaaaybe twenty. I’ve released an EP, run countless marathons and halves, always take six weeks of vacation every year.

But now that I’m on the far side of my career and retirement is in the cards, I look at all the money I left on the table… I dunno.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I dunno dude, it sounds like you did way better than they did. Money isn't everything.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I think you're just grass is always greener-ing. Is there anything you'd like to do that a) you don't have enough money for and b) that you'd still want to do putting in 50+ hours a week?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Enough talk about money, link your EP

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
There's a reason you don't see any headstones with the epitaph "I wish I spent more time at work."

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Network observability in Azure is such a complete pile of poo poo. You can’t get flow logs for anything running out of an app service using vnet integration and the Linux functions don’t seem to be capable of packet capture. gently caress you Microsoft

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Filthy Lucre posted:

There's a reason you don't see any headstones with the epitaph "I wish I spent more time at work."

There are plenty of Japanese headstones due to overwork if we want to be incredibly insensitive.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah and your marathon times!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Agrikk posted:

But now that I’m on the far side of my career and retirement is in the cards, I look at all the money I left on the table… I dunno.

Money isn't everything. After your needs are taken care of and money isn't a cause of stress it has less of an impact on your life for the most part.

Tomorrow isn't promised, and retirement is kinda bullshit from what I've seen. I'm not killing myself today to get to a point in the future that I may or may not even live to see.

Find a good balance, which it looks like you have, between living and enjoying today, but also planning for the future.

I like many of you here am in my early 40's and I'm watching all the family members from the previous generation retire right now. It's nothing but doctors appointments, surgeries, and bullshit. None of them are living the retirement dreams they worked almost 50 years to get to.

edit: Also if you really want to enjoy retirement take care of your bodies. Diabetes, bad knees, heart disease, all of these things really put a damper on those retirement years.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I'm younger than most itt, personally I don't expect to make it past 60 given *points vaguely* so as far as I'm concerned it's a matter of doing what I want now while we still have running water

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I desperately need to get out from under my current boss if I want to have any kind of marketable skillset. They’re a nice person but absolutely garbo at delegating any deliverables and would much rather plink away at their work while I sit on a teams call with them, asking for some scope, any scope.

It’s so frustrating because they continually say I’m a fantastic employee and am doing a great job but I’m stuck doing 95% routine support while at a title where I’m supposed to be picking up more than that.

At least I can work on certs and a masters during my work hours?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BadSamaritan posted:

I desperately need to get out from under my current boss if I want to have any kind of marketable skillset. They’re a nice person but absolutely garbo at delegating any deliverables and would much rather plink away at their work while I sit on a teams call with them, asking for some scope, any scope.

It’s so frustrating because they continually say I’m a fantastic employee and am doing a great job but I’m stuck doing 95% routine support while at a title where I’m supposed to be picking up more than that.

At least I can work on certs and a masters during my work hours?

amazing, i made a post on an alt and don't even remember

(well, except for the title part. but still, I'd like to be able to do something beyond labeling headsets and giving people the vpn credentials.)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Network observability in Azure is such a complete pile of poo poo. You can’t get flow logs for anything running out of an app service using vnet integration and the Linux functions don’t seem to be capable of packet capture. gently caress you Microsoft

Even with an NSG attached through NSG Flow Logs? Outbound flows should work still. You can just put an AllowAll Outbound rule if you don't want to interrupt anything. I've not actually had to look on ours to see if they exist.

We export them to Sentinel where it's easier to read.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Even with an NSG attached through NSG Flow Logs? Outbound flows should work still. You can just put an AllowAll Outbound rule if you don't want to interrupt anything.

Yes, if you don’t have a NSG it’s amazing what just doesn’t log.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Even with an NSG attached through NSG Flow Logs? Outbound flows should work still. You can just put an AllowAll Outbound rule if you don't want to interrupt anything. I've not actually had to look on ours to see if they exist.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service/overview-vnet-integration#how-regional-virtual-network-integration-works

quote:

Because of the nature of how this technology operates, the traffic that's used with virtual network integration doesn't show up in Azure Network Watcher or NSG flow logs.

I was as surprised as you’re about to be, but also not. gently caress OFF Microsoft!!

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 15, 2022

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I hate GCP but stackdriver is just way better than the other cloud solutions.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

TCM Security has a special on the PET and PMAT for a dollar each. Use coupon code DOLLARANDADREAM

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I told them to move it to GCP maybe, but only because the app uses GCP for some reason as well. It’s probably not even a network issue at all so I’m about to tell them to move this poo poo to a VM to prove absolutely nothing but at least we can get flow logs to shove into someone else’s face I guess.

The other problem is they’re using some SDK that app insights can’t get any telemetry/logging on so lol all I can see is this stupid function app making calls to itself

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

TCM Security has a special on the PET and PMAT for a dollar each. Use coupon code DOLLARANDADREAM

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Okay, so on the other hand I just got off a call where we were discussing the possibilities of putting a new region in space.

Motherfucking Space Cloud bitches.

On the call was a guy with SPACE PRODUCT LEAD as his job title. And I quote, “we are interested in astronauts being able to stream Netflix from a station on the moon”. He was only semi kidding.

My name is Agrikk and I am your Space TAM.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is Alexa for Business a dead product, or does their webpage just make it look like that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah that makes way more sense than streaming from somewhere much closer, such as the earth.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Now I'm curious, how well does Netflix stream with a 3000ms latency?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://academy.tcm-sec.com/p/practical-malware-analysis-triage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

latency doesn't really matter too much, just need bandwidth to deliver