Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
10 years to go to Sr Sysadmin role is a really long time, although it was not clear how long that took you.

You still have plenty of roles between Lead Sysadmin and Manager, including Engineer and Architect titles. Unless you're making 150k+ as a Lead Sysadmin, you're not capped in internal IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

three posted:

You still have plenty of roles between Lead Sysadmin and Manager, including Engineer and Architect titles. Unless you're making 150k+ as a Lead Sysadmin, you're not capped in internal IT.
That's an interesting blanket statement, having not qualified it with any location information. In my metropolitan area the number of internal IT jobs (working as a tech of some kind) that pay that wage would be extremely limited. Probably only a handful of CCIEs. I am the highest level member of IT at the 11th largest fdic insured bank in my state and I don't make anywhere near $150k/year.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would really like to meet the sysadmin in Vancouver, BC that makes 150k/year. Location is everything.

three
Aug 9, 2007

adorai posted:

That's an interesting blanket statement, having not qualified it with any location information. In my metropolitan area the number of internal IT jobs (working as a tech of some kind) that pay that wage would be extremely limited. Probably only a handful of CCIEs. I am the highest level member of IT at the 11th largest fdic insured bank in my state and I don't make anywhere near $150k/year.

You deserve a raise. 150k in internal IT with a bank in Charlotte, NC is feasible. I do not consider Charlotte a particularly crazy market, i.e. NYC/California.

That's not a sysadmin role, but an architecture role. Also, capped would not be the average but the high-end, and would be independent of location, as well. Don't live in Missouri, I guess. V:shobon:V

three fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 6, 2014

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

I would really like to meet the sysadmin in Vancouver, BC that makes 150k/year. Location is everything.

Meanwhile here in the glorious bay area of outrageous real estate prices, 150k is decidedly midrange, though I have no experience with internal IT - just support and operations, so maybe it's a lot different.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dark Helmut posted:

Central VA, and although I work with a medium-sized agency with a national footprint, 90% of my business is local. Shoot me a PM if you like.

IMO, and this is someone from VA talking. Move to NoVA, or Northern Richmond; Do not go into Hampton Roads.

It's like the market is growing everywhere but Eastern NC and Eastern(and som western) VA. I think VA aside from NoVA and satillite companies in northern Richmond/Fredricksberg this state is really going stale, this state relies heavily on the military input to make it's ends meat and I feel it has no way to organically make money if not for the government.

That's why I have been taking $200 out a week into a savings account for a good while, and am buying a house in Charlotte when I hit 26, VA SUCKS.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 6, 2014

three
Aug 9, 2007

Do people in Hampton Roads work in Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake? They look close on a map.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Do people in Hampton Roads work in Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake? They look close on a map.

Most do, either for the government, Sentara Healthcare, or something that supports DoD/defence. There is very little organic growth here, aside from that of people taking the tax write off's VA beach is known to give certain fields.

I live <1 mile away from my job so it is nice, aside I think it hurts my car to drive it that short a distance. The roads are horrible, bridges are terrible, it can take >45 min to drive the 15 miles to work sometimes. No neighboring cities will work together on public transportation, we have a light rail that goes no where because one city backed out of it because it tore up an old abandoned railroad track(the horror!). We have 4 lane highways that go to 2 lanes at the city line because "reasons".

Honestly Charlotte's logicstics in road planning is one of the many reasons I am moving there. Honestly my biggest thing now is where to buy a house, but I think there is another thread for that in a different subforum.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 6, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Comradephate posted:

Meanwhile here in the glorious bay area of outrageous real estate prices, 150k is decidedly midrange, though I have no experience with internal IT - just support and operations, so maybe it's a lot different.

Haha please, Vancouver is the worst/most expensive real estate market in Canada, and one of the worst in North America. Salaries here generally have trouble matching cost of living, it's pretty rough for the average person here.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

IMO, and this is someone from VA talking. Move to NoVA, or Northern Richmond; Do not go into Hampton Roads.

It's like the market is growing everywhere but Eastern NC and Eastern(and som western) VA. I think VA aside from NoVA and satillite companies in northern Richmond/Fredricksberg this state is really going stale, this state relies heavily on the military input to make it's ends meat and I feel it has no way to organically make money if not for the government.

That's why I have been taking $200 out a week into a savings account for a good while, and am buying a house in Charlotte when I hit 26, VA SUCKS.

I have more problems with the inaccuracies and sweeping generalizations with this post than I have the energy to address.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dark Helmut posted:

I have more problems with the inaccuracies and sweeping generalizations with this post than I have the energy to address.

Things might be different in that central place, but just don't come to hampton roads.

Not to mention the pants on head retarded housing market here. 175k will buy you so much in Charlotte, where in hampton roads? Pfft hahaha

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haha please, Vancouver is the worst/most expensive real estate market in Canada, and one of the worst in North America. Salaries here generally have trouble matching cost of living, it's pretty rough for the average person here.

I'm not sure I understand the point of your comment.

Are you trying to argue that where you live sucks?

You've convinced me, I won't move to Vancouver.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Comradephate posted:

I'm not sure I understand the point of your comment.

Are you trying to argue that where you live sucks?

You've convinced me, I won't move to Vancouver.

No, I was responding to your comment that 150k is midrange somewhere with insane real estate prices. 150k is so high end it doesn't happen here for sysadmins, in a place with insane real estate prices.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So the guy who just got promoted to sysadmin just got the actual offer today. $34k. The other sysadmins make $40k. He couldn't negotiate because it was "negotiated for him" by the CIO and the corporate IT manager, and supposedly they even "bumped it up" from where it was. gently caress that. He had to take it because he needs to have a job now, but I'm guessing he updates his resume sooner rather than later and moves on.

It also doesn't have me optimistic of whatever they offer me, if they ever get to it. Maybe time to spend $15 more for R2I to update mine again (I updated it soon after I started on the helpdesk, but I've done some stuff on the road and my helpdesk role has somewhat expanded--if I can just figure out how to say it) and start applying in earnest. If they "promote" me, it will obviously be at a salary lower than what external candidates get, just loving because.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

So the guy who just got promoted to sysadmin just got the actual offer today. $34k.
drat. I live in a pretty average cost of living area and we are thinking starting our next level 1 helpdesk guy at $35k/year.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

adorai posted:

drat. I live in a pretty average cost of living area and we are thinking starting our next level 1 helpdesk guy at $35k/year.

I (we, since he's help desk too) make $25k on the help desk. This is basically (I had two earlier phone interviews/technical screenings and never heard back) the only place that responded to my initial resume. It's pretty obvious why now!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah I deserve this whole title; just saying.

And I like it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 6, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Yeah I deserve this whole title; just saying.

I almost said "At least all the words in your custom title are spelled correctly," and then I realized there's supposed to be a 'Z' in virtualized.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I almost said "At least all the words in your custom title are spelled correctly," and then I realized there's supposed to be a 'Z' in virtualized.

Uh excuse me, America is bad at english :colbert:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So how would an architect be different from an administrator? Looking at the Op, Technician is clearly at the bottom, Architect sounds like it would be at the top, and then Administrator and Engineer occupy a similar murky middle space. And then I have no idea what an analyst would be.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh excuse me, America is bad at english :colbert:

When England invents a hot new technology, they can decide how to spell it.

Someone bought me my title and I've grown to like the grammar error.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Architect
Engineer
Administrator
Analyst (this role can be a more senior position but is tainted by all the entry level analyst positions)
Technician

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Architect
Engineer
Administrator
Analyst (this role can be a more senior position but is tainted by all the entry level analyst positions)
Technician

Just remember the easy acronym: AAEAA(trcbamspbitbatelap)T

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We're posting for a "Storage Architect" with OpenStack experience despite us in no way using OpenStack, because my boss' preferred candidate has OpenStack experience and why look for real qualified candidates through an actual application process when you can just manipulate HR to get what you want.

I need a new job.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When England invents a hot new technology, they can decide how to spell it.

Someone bought me my title and I've grown to like the grammar error.

I don't know how you blokes put up with this bollocks.

Just takes years of numbing I suppose.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FISHMANPET posted:

We're posting for a "Storage Architect" with OpenStack experience despite us in no way using OpenStack, because my boss' preferred candidate has OpenStack experience and why look for real qualified candidates through an actual application process when you can just manipulate HR to get what you want.

I need a new job.
Government procurement processes pull this poo poo all the time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ding ding ding!
Public University.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Job postings are great. I didn't know half the poo poo on the job posting for the phone interview I had last night, but at the end of it both the PM and team leader said "Well we think you'd be a great fit for the role!"

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
apropos of nothing, but making me smile:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

spiny posted:

Definitely showing my friends this, this is great.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

spiny posted:

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

skipdogg posted:

I swear these threads make me wonder if I work for some mythical perfect company or some poo poo. I'm celebrating my 10 year anniversary here soon. Started working in one of our call centers while finishing community college and have been promoted multiple times since then. In my current position of Sr. Systems Administrator I'm making a very nice base wage in line with the local market while enjoying such things 22 paid days off, 8 sick days, 90/10 PPO with 500 dollar deductible, paid training, cell phone, hot spot and annual performance bonus (that actually pays out). We're even well funded as a department and get nice equipment. I really don't have anything bad to say about the company at all and have no desire to leave.

Now if my environment wasn't so great, or I did not have the potential to move up I would leave, but you can enjoy a nice career with a company. It is possible. I wouldn't mind working here another 10 years to be honest. I can probably get a 'Lead Sys Admin' title in the next 2 to 3 years which would cap out my earning potential without going into management or consulting. I will say I make an effort to stay on top of technology. Don't be that guy who specializes in something and doesn't keep up with current technology trends. You want to keep a relevant skill set in case something happens to your job.

You sound exactly like me. Going on 9 years, lots of vacation, tons of flexibility, great facilities on site and close with the top executives. Salary is great for the the size of my city and raises have been regular. Changed positions in a similar manner to you helpdesk->sysadmin->sr.sysadmin->syseng, and have lots of budget to research and deploy new technologies every year.

That being said, I feel like I'm doing something wrong by staying put for so long, and that if my company every fires me or goes tits up, that my resume will look not so good to future employers because of that fact :(

whaam fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 6, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

FISHMANPET posted:

So how would an architect be different from an administrator?

Here's how an architect works at my company:

1) Design a project and get a proof of concept up and running with beta software
2) Leave the company without handing anything off. Another architect picks up where you left off but since there's no documentation he redesigns everything.
3) Spend the next months trying to make sense of the new architecture because it was poorly conceived.
4) The new architect realizes he hosed up the new design so he calls everyone dumb and stops answering emails on the subject.

Here's how an engineer works at my company:

1) I realize the entire design is a steaming pile of poo poo so I implement it in a non-lovely, maintainable, and easy to understand manner. I also document it because apparently the only diagrams the architects here know how to produce are on whiteboards.

So basically Architects don't actually do anything except come up with ill-conceived ideas and either leave the company or start calling people names when you realize how hosed the project is.

Actual email from yesterday:

quote:

This entire conversation is ridiculous.

Please follow the design, anyone who does not know the design needs to call me.

Notice the "call me" because no documentation was ever produced.

Thanks for letting me vent, thread. It's been a long two months.

PS - This project somehow made it into QA with no stable architecture and a non-functioning development environment.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 6, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Since *company merger* is looking worse and worse now that I've got a taste of how they currently handle IT (it's terrible) and there's no way I'm staying here any longer then I have too, it's time to brush up the old resume. Where do I start? Is the goon-ran resume service worth it? I've started to audit/rebuilt my online presence (so they find what I want them to find, like my IT blog.) But I've got two weak points: resumes and interviews. I can get a decent resume out there and handle phone interviews no sweat, but at the in person tech interviews, I always choke. Any help or resource recommendations (articles, books, ect) are appreciated.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Architect
Engineer
Administrator
Technician

All of our Tier 1, 2, and 3 levels are "Engineers" at an MSP. It seems titles are worthless in IT.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My last 3 titles at my current employment have never been used at the company before and they made them up because they don't give raises higher than cost of living unless you get "promoted".

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Working with doctors :rolleyes:
I've got to find an ISP in a brand new neighborhood in FL (I'm in NV!), which is so new that neither FiOS or Comcast are available, and only options left are AT&T or HughesNet (Satellite).
- HughesNet is $120 for 15/2
- U-Verse is $80 for 18/? (and bundles in TV, too)
Since those are severely different, I think the easiest way to explain it to a Dr is to put it in dollars. I figured that a mbps/$ ratio explanation would paint the picture, so considering just the downstream speeds:
- HughesNet is $8 mbps/$
- U-Verse is $4.44 mbps/$

I did a bit of googling around to see if there's some sort of nation-wide comparison of ISPs by this mbps/$ ratio, but I couldn't find any. Is there one? I bet it'd be interesting to look at.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Florida is flat, there are no WISPs?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Alfajor posted:

Since those are severely different, I think the easiest way to explain it to a Dr is to put it in dollars. I figured that a mbps/$ ratio explanation would paint the picture, so considering just the downstream speeds:
- HughesNet is $8 mbps/$
- U-Verse is $4.44 mbps/$
A Mbps ratio would only confuse them more. The easiest way to explain it to a doctor in this case is "AT&T is faster and cheaper, and doesn't shouldn't cut out when it rains. But it may slow down if you live farther from their office."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

the spyder posted:

Since *company merger* is looking worse and worse now that I've got a taste of how they currently handle IT (it's terrible) and there's no way I'm staying here any longer then I have too, it's time to brush up the old resume. Where do I start? Is the goon-ran resume service worth it? I've started to audit/rebuilt my online presence (so they find what I want them to find, like my IT blog.) But I've got two weak points: resumes and interviews. I can get a decent resume out there and handle phone interviews no sweat, but at the in person tech interviews, I always choke. Any help or resource recommendations (articles, books, ect) are appreciated.

r2i (the goon-ran resume service) did my resume and helped me with interview prep. I cannot recommend them highly enough. They go to 11.