Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«796 »
Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

Now I feel the need to invent a scheme based around 128-bit employee numbers, organized in a sparse namespace so that your id is also your exact spot in the corporate structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Black Summer was the best summer.

I am curious, how often does the average employee use their employee ID number in a given year? I don't currently know mine or give a poo poo that I have one, but I am sure I could look it up in my pay system. How do other company incorporate it so much that their employees use it often enough to even want to know it?

Sepist
Dec 25, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Wibla posted:

This happens on Android too. We have that setup. firstname.lastname@example.com address and flastname@example.com login.

Huh, I never knew that's why I always get my own emails when sent from my phone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sickening posted:

I am curious, how often does the average employee use their employee ID number in a given year? I don't currently know mine or give a poo poo that I have one, but I am sure I could look it up in my pay system. How do other company incorporate it so much that their employees use it often enough to even want to know it?

As a login, as is being discussed?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

You're trying to say that you like DOS better then me, right?

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

Time clock ID.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

We don't have employee numbers, the employee number field on our pay stubs gets filled in as first three chars of first name + first three chars of last name

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Time clock ID.

You're on a time clock? Like Homer Simpson poo poo?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Black Summer was the best summer.

SeaborneClink posted:

As a login, as is being discussed?

Thats what I get for phone posting. Changing all the employee logins to a loving number is stupid. I am an idiot for saying otherwise. All the companies that currently doing this are dumb dumb idiots too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

Not anymore, but the lower the pay, the more common it is to see.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

Thats what I get for phone posting. Changing all the employee logins to a loving number is stupid. I am an idiot for saying otherwise. All the companies that currently doing this are dumb dumb idiots too.
What, you don't like needing to build your own correlation tool to read audit logs?

big money big clit
Oct 19, 2004

Breaux, Breaux, you seen a defense around here anywhere!?

I did some consulting work for a customer that did this and they provisioned me an account on their corporate network that was like s20465 and it was the dumbest goddamn thing ever. If you were an admin you got to have a regular stupid account number and an administrative stupid account number.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

big money big clit posted:

I did some consulting work for a customer that did this and they provisioned me an account on their corporate network that was like s20465 and it was the dumbest goddamn thing ever. If you were an admin you got to have a regular stupid account number and an administrative stupid account number.

Previous job had two domains, separated for regulatory reasons.
One was 12345, the other 12345companyname

They also had different password expiration policies, so people's passwords wouldn't necessarily be synced up.
Ugh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010
I'm conducting an experiment to see if removing your shitty avatar will improve your shitty taste in black metal

jaegerx posted:

I worked at a hospital where people had to use them. SURPRISE! Morale was poo poo and everyone seemed unhappy. Probably didn't hurt that our director was really obviously a buzzword corporate manager rather than even slightly technical.

Also there were no windows anywhere, everything was grey, and we were explicitly told not to look too happy walking around the hospital.

Worst of all, no free coffee. You had to buy it from the cafeteria and dump five sugars and three pumps of non dairy creamer to make it tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tab8715
May 20, 2006

Went to a customer site once who's owners had a new Audi every year and company cafeteria that charged .20 for each plastic fork.

«796 »