Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Anyone else going to Velocity NYC 2017?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of conferences... anyone going to NetApp Insight in Vegas?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Aunt Beth posted:

Ahahahahaa. They have a conference? And it's in Vegas????? Hahahaha

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

TIL there is a netapp conference and people go to it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't follow, are people not making role playing games anymore or something?

In some alternate universe where I have nothing better to do, I like the idea of trolling mainframe job postings with the sweet QBASIC Final Fantasy 6 ripoff I made with my buddies in high school

DigitalMocking posted:

You're one of those very odd QA people who actually likes being in QA.

Like a bug finding unicorn.

I did some college internships in QA and am really glad I did. I feel like it helped a lot with learning how to accurately describe issues, and tenaciously find exact steps to reproduce even weird-rear end "this should never loving happen ever, but it did one time, and it bothers me" bugs. I actually thought I wanted to be a QA lifer at the end of that experience... til I got exposed to Linux and networking in the course of learning to automate my tests, and realized they were 1000% more interesting to me.

I do think some QA experience would be valuable to almost any junior technology worker, even if they aren't in a software dev org. For the troubleshooting reasons I mentioned, and because the amount of scripting and infrastructure code like Chef/Puppet/Terraform/whatever that gets YOLO'd into production totally untested across our industry is pretty horrifying.

Aunt Beth posted:

no but I will be at AWS re:Invent in Vegas in November

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Ahahahahaa. They have a conference? And it's in Vegas????? Hahahaha
They do! It's pretty fun. We're a big customer of theirs so we go every year.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

[quote="“Aunt Beth”" post="“476671348”"]
They do! It’s pretty fun. We’re a big customer of theirs so we go every year.
[/quote]

They must pay you for this right? You wouldn't willingly use your own money for this conference?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

:thunk:
Maybe this Ubiquiti sinking ship thing isn't so bad after all.

https://twitter.com/ericladler/status/911311454166441984
Edit: the best tweet

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 23, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

Anyone else going to Velocity NYC 2017?
Came to post this.

If anyone's thinking of going, but hasn't bought tickets yet: do yourself a favor and Google for coupon codes before you check out. There's a 20% off code floating around.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Velocity is a great conference. I was just at hashiconf in Austin and it was good too. Huge this year.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Docjowles posted:

no but I will be at AWS re:Invent in Vegas in November

Apparently I am going to this as well.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 1, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

UBNT shareholder spotted

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

What's the cheapest USB IP KVM I can buy (used/surplus is awesome) that doesn't need anything stupid like a dead Java version?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

What's the cheapest USB IP KVM I can buy (used/surplus is awesome) that doesn't need anything stupid like a dead Java version?

This seems like an area ripe for ~disruption~ because god drat is everything I've ever used awful. There must just not be enough money in it?

It's TYOOL 2017 and it took like 20 years for Dell, with zillions of engineers and dollars, to come out with a DRAC console that just mostly works OK. As in, I can launch it without having to go download Firefox 1.0 and JDK 1.6 and disable every security setting that exists in both of them. And then still have it not recognize my keystrokes and need to call remote hands anyway.

I should probably just replace this post with the word "triggered"

I haven't used an actual hardware KVM in a while, but IIRC had not-totally-awful luck with TrippLite stuff the last time I needed them?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

This seems like an area ripe for ~disruption~ because god drat is everything I've ever used awful. There must just not be enough money in it?
Ugh, I know. It's worse now than at my last job because I'm only buying one of these things, which means I don't give enough of a poo poo to even do real legwork on this.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Docjowles posted:

It's TYOOL 2017 and it took like 20 years for Dell, with zillions of engineers and dollars, to come out with a DRAC console that just mostly works OK. As in, I can launch it without having to go download Firefox 1.0 and JDK 1.6 and disable every security setting that exists in both of them. And then still have it not recognize my keystrokes and need to call remote hands anyway.

I should probably just replace this post with the word "triggered"

I haven't used an actual hardware KVM in a while, but IIRC had not-totally-awful luck with TrippLite stuff the last time I needed them?

Yeah, and then, in their infinite loving wisdom, the HTML5 console isn't the default. Or at least it wasn't on the one DRAC 9 I've set up so far. I mean, wtf Dell.

Also you just made me realize how much I've been suffering from their abuse because I've been GRATEFUL that they finally made the console just work, and your post reminded me that in fact I should have said "about loving time you assholes figured this poo poo out".

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Also you just made me realize how much I've been suffering from their abuse because I've been GRATEFUL that they finally made the console just work, and your post reminded me that in fact I should have said "about loving time you assholes figured this poo poo out".

lmao this is the exact series of emotions I went through after launching the newest console for the first time, too. Joy, followed by the slow dawning of just how awful the last like 10 years of my life had been due to their utter garbage application.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

jaegerx posted:

They must pay you for this right? You wouldn't willingly use your own money for this conference?

Tickets cost money, though customers can usually get them built into a deal for "free." The technical content is alright, and they offer free certification exams. More useful for partners and resellers though.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
turds

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 26, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Vulture Culture posted:

Digi make/made one that had a built-in VNC server rather than some Java piece of poo poo. Called "Passport" I think.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I am not a UBNT shareholder but a Ubiquiti stakeholder considering I have an edgerouter at home and started selling unifi wifis at work.

So far we had one DoA cloudstick, but the whole workflow is nice and well documented, I really like working with their gear. For the small shops we sell them too its also a great alternative to our enterprise offerings.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had to work with both a mystery toilet seat shitter as well as someone that would leave what appeared to be a massive explosion of nose crunchies on the bathroom mirror. Every morning one of us would find the mirror covered in spray of partially bloody snot bits and even after three years we never figured out what goddamn creep was doing it, or what exactly they were doing.

A bunch of coke.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Docjowles posted:

but I will be at AWS re:Invent in Vegas in November

Me too, most likely. My customers say they need me there, then I'll be there.

We should have an IT Goons re:Invent meetup in the Rockhouse.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ubiquiti freaking owns.

I just did a full stack install for a client and it's rock solid. It's also been great at home.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone at Ignite next week?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Ha, they and our VAR usually pick up the tab. Why the hate? They make super solid midrange products.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone at Ignite next week?

Yep!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Did you check the WiFi signal in the shitter? You fool. Check that and ensure it's a good strong signal or make that your first priority.
I literally got a ladder out and moved an access point 10 feet so I had better coverage in the ADA stall (which I prefer because it is the furthest from the door).

edit: it is a unifi access point, for any of you assholes who were wondering or making GBS threads on UBNT.

adorai fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 24, 2017

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Figures someone would take 'making GBS threads on UBNT' literally.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

adorai posted:

I literally got a ladder out and moved an access point 10 feet so I had better coverage in the ADA stall (which I prefer because it is the furthest from the door).

You're my hero

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 1, 2019

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Last night, Network was doing a core switch replacement. Started at midnight, shouldn't take more than an hour.
DR testing got cancelled because ... I don't know actually.
Around 2am neywork decided to rollback due to unforeseen issues.
It is now noon. We have no network, no website, no phones, no online presence. No online or mobile banking. No contact center. No webmail.
There is no ETA on getting network back up. The old core is "corrupted" so they're redoing the configuration Line. By. Line. Manually.

On the upside I won $100 in the "Will network gently caress this up" pool.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

What

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

That was our CIOs reaction when he joined the conference call at about 8am.

"What. gently caress." *Slams phone*

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Like...how does that even happen. For something that critical you get an outside vendor to assist and make sure you've crossed i's and t's on your change plan, so you can shift some of the blame if it does go south. Do keep us informed. :allears:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

How hard is it to back up the configs on the regular? Redoing the config line by line means you've been dropping the ball continuously.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Antioch posted:

so they're redoing the configuration Line. By. Line. Manually
what? do you not have any kind of config management? Oh let me guess, it can't be accessed because the core switching is down.

Lol, you failed your DR test.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Antioch posted:

Last night, Network was doing a core switch replacement. Started at midnight, shouldn't take more than an hour.
DR testing got cancelled because ... I don't know actually.
Around 2am neywork decided to rollback due to unforeseen issues.
It is now noon. We have no network, no website, no phones, no online presence. No online or mobile banking. No contact center. No webmail.
There is no ETA on getting network back up. The old core is "corrupted" so they're redoing the configuration Line. By. Line. Manually.

On the upside I won $100 in the "Will network gently caress this up" pool.

I've done some botched network maintenances, but never anything like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Putting my manager hat on for a moment, "could you guys hurry up and resolve this so I can fire all of you?"