Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Why would anyone want a goldfish?

Because he can sit on my desk as my pair programmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

jaegerx posted:

Because he can sit on my desk as my pair programmer.

How’s his code review?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

How’s his code review?

Not bad. Better than the last time I used my dogs. He understands golang pretty well. The dogs were only good at bash and python

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nullfunction posted:

I think it's more the design of boundaries within the OS. You pretty much need root.

What does most modern malware do?

1. Mines buttcoins
2. Encrypts files for ransom
3. Steals user data
4. Displays ads to the user
5. Attempts to defraud the user
6. Joins a botnet

None of those things require root.

The old model of viruses was that they weren't targeting the user or their data, they wanted to either destroy or gain persistence on the system as a whole. Unix permissions have always been great at this, and Windows hasn't been too bad either since NT's been a thing. It took until the Vista era to get the Windows application ecosystem to finally accept that they weren't allowed to do whatever they wanted anymore because of legacy from the 9x era, but the OS itself has been able to be used in as secure of a manner as a Unix system for a long time.

Modern malware doesn't care all that much about the system as a whole, for the most part. If you fall for the next cryptolocker no one cares that your system itself is still bootable when all the network shares you had mounted are full of ransom notes and garbage files. Any user who has enough privilege to play a 3D game can mine any cryptocurrency you want to name. Adware pretty much needs to be running as the user and if it did have root would likely only use it to invade other user profiles that may exist on the system.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
When I worked retail I saw an absolute fuckload of malicious software on Macs. It mainly did adware and browser hijacking, but it's definitely out there.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fishmech posted:

No I didn't. You seem to have issues comprehending text. You might want to try to quote it, but you're going to have a hard time quoting the voices in your head.

Those sorts of stats are just estimates, and as the article mentions they vary widely between vendors. Most of them derive their stats only from placing tracking things on a small selection of websites.

I love watching people get relentlessly fishmech'd.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I got it. The final thing to end this thread. If you were the sysadmin for Hillary’s email server would you have deleted those emails?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I got it. The final thing to end this thread. If you were the sysadmin for Hillary’s email server would you have deleted those emails?

I wish I was the mod for this forum, I would destroy you first

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I wish I was the mod for this forum, I would destroy you first

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

Befehl ist Befehl

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I had my boss and one of the owners of my company saying we should reach out to that MSP to see "if they could help us." I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

jaegerx posted:

I'm not falling for your tricks Trey Gowdy

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

God, I know you're messing around, but that's actually a really amazing question.

If the admin had written a powershell script to enforce a retention policy, automatically deleting old emails, this would never have been an issue.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah, it's politics. It would have been spun either way.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If the admin had written a powershell script to enforce a retention policy, automatically deleting old emails, this would never have been an issue.

This sentence is way beyond a level politicians would even entertain the possibility of understanding, so it wouldn't change anything

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What do y’all use for a central KB management tool? Our environment has plenty of documentation for things but it’s essentially a dump of various word and excels in a file share. It’s driving me mad trying to look up configurations and general knowledge of these servers.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

So yesterday I interviewed a dev ops candidate who showed up in a drat t shirt and cursed like a sailor the whole time. The guy seemed like he knew what he was doing but his behavior and appearance really irked me. At least show up in a button down shirt and comb your hair.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

What do y’all use for a central KB management tool? Our environment has plenty of documentation for things but it’s essentially a dump of various word and excels in a file share. It’s driving me mad trying to look up configurations and general knowledge of these servers.

Confluence, usually. Our devs have switched over to keeping their docs in github though, which seems like an interesting approach.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Confluence

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Necronomicon posted:

So yesterday I interviewed a dev ops candidate who showed up in a drat t shirt and cursed like a sailor the whole time. The guy seemed like he knew what he was doing but his behavior and appearance really irked me. At least show up in a button down shirt and comb your hair.

Send him my way? Sounds like a great culture fit here.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

freeasinbeer posted:

whoa dude your job sounds so cool do you get free beer too?!?!?!?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Necronomicon posted:

I would literally never hire someone like this, even if they knew their poo poo. Once you start, feel free to show up a in a t-shirt and jeans I do it whenever I feel like, but for the interview I expect you to be putting your best foot forward. If that's the best you can muster for an interview, I have my doubts you will put forth real effort.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Today I learned that Macs are the bougie platform.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Learned that today, did you? :cheeky:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

I'd never subject anyone to working with you

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Have y’all ever gone to Burger King and had them tell you that you can’t have it your way? Apparently I can’t add 30 slices of cheese to my burger.

This is false advertising

Look at this guy not going to in n out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

Whatever. Let’s fight over browsers now. Safari for ever.

I wish Internet Explorer would be disabled with the next Windows update.

I still work with actual Techs that use IE.

Even on Windows 10.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

I wish Internet Explorer would be disabled with the next Windows update.

I still work with actual Techs that use IE.

Even on Windows 10.

IE still has superior hooks into Windows. Links to network files, control of Com devices, deeper Java integration all work better in IE.

The downsides are so severe that IE should still be avoided unless absolutely necessary. But I can see workflows that just fit IE better than Chrome.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah as far as I can see the RemoteApp workflow is still a bit poo poo if you're not running IE with the ActiveX launcher. I think Server 2016 makes improvements here.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Boss wants me to setup a cloud backup thing. Anyone got recommendations? We're a small company with probably less than a TB of data to backup and not a lot of call to perform restores.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
IE won't be disabled until some of the biggest retailers on earth actually update their loving web portals. We have one huge customer that we need to go into IE and change what version it's emulating for different sections of their website. It's dumb as hell.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

Modern malware doesn't care all that much about the system as a whole, for the most part. If you fall for the next cryptolocker no one cares that your system itself is still bootable when all the network shares you had mounted are full of ransom notes and garbage files. Any user who has enough privilege to play a 3D game can mine any cryptocurrency you want to name. Adware pretty much needs to be running as the user and if it did have root would likely only use it to invade other user profiles that may exist on the system.

You're technically correct (the best kind) but my response was to his question, which was about the late 90s and early 2000s. Modern malware is a whole different can of worms (ha) and it's been interesting to watch things evolve over the last couple of decades.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Boss wants me to setup a cloud backup thing. Anyone got recommendations? We're a small company with probably less than a TB of data to backup and not a lot of call to perform restores.

Azure backup.
https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/backup/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crashplan would work too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

H110Hawk posted:

Look at this guy not going to in n out.

Look at this guy who doesn't have Whataburger available.
actually, In N Out is pretty good for the price, but it wasn't the Nirvana of burgers that non-Texans made it out to be.

Also, two of my Macs spend 90% or their time booted into Windows. Now what, motherfucker?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

IE still has superior hooks into Windows. Links to network files, control of Com devices

What website/web portal internal or external would depend on these kind of features? I can see this being needed if one has an application that embeds the IE engine, but otherwise ...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Volguus posted:

What website/web portal internal or external would depend on these kind of features? I can see this being needed if one has an application that embeds the IE engine, but otherwise ...

Point of sale portals. Not having to right-click copy link for network folder destinations. As Thants pointed out, some remoteapp workflows.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't have Whataburger available.

actually, In N Out is pretty good for the price, but it wasn't the Nirvana of burgers that non-Texans made it out to be.

I feel like this is key, people compare a $5.95 in n out burger to something they paid $10 for elsewhere. I don't think I've been to a Whataburger, but compared to Five Guys I feel in n out is vastly superior.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sharepoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

The Fool posted:

Sharepoint

ahahahahahahahahahaha