Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Do you just pump white noise through the pa or something? I've never heard of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Usually it's a bunch of specific speakers/equipment running in the drop ceiling. Ours works quite well and you definitely notice that it's off if you come in on the weekend.

I'm fine with an office of ~5 IT folks who are mostly working on the same stuff. I am absolutely not fine with a giant open floor plan. I have a lot of trouble focusing and tuning things out, to the point where I can't listen to podcasts or anything like that while working. I'd be immensely unproductive and frustrated.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LochNessMonster posted:

The chairs on that pic ar comfy as gently caress.

The guy with his back to us definitely has the chair too low though, that and the desk need to go up

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Do you just pump white noise through the pa or something? I've never heard of this.

I think it's these sort of things - https://cambridgesound.com/products/qt-emitters/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LochNessMonster posted:

The chairs on that pic ar comfy as gently caress.

Not pictured, 2 more pods of three desks to the right of the camera, a long bar to the left that usually has a jigsaw puzzle and snacks, and a big team room to the left of that.

Also not pictured are several breakout rooms where your always on the phone motherfucker should be. The most recent experiment they're trying is an overgrown phone booth. It has a shelf, a chair, four walls, a roof and a floor to contain phone call noise all on a smaller footprint than our tiniest breakout room. If you can get one installed, I recommend chaining your salesman inside it and padlocking it shut.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

These guys are awesome, there's a showroom a few doors down from our office

https://www.frameryacoustics.com/en/

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
i used to work in the facilities teams office, the head of facilities thought she was my boss and took it upon herself to micro manage me into doing anything that she thought should be my work (it generally didnt go too well for her)

i also had a store room but it was 300m away and needed a special key which was never available so it was a PITA

i now have an office/workshop/storage/kitchen/meeting area for 1 + my assistant. Also no one really knows where it is because the signage outside says 'bricklaying' haha.

The icing on the cake is the building was supposed to be shutdown but the CEO trumped head of facilities to let me have it.

When that got agreed I felt like some kind of political genius to make that happen. How no one has question why IT have possibly the best office on site is some minor miracle. (that might just be my opinion though..)

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I really want a Steelcase Leap for home, where is a good place to find one gently used? I won't be able to afford a $1k chair for a loooooong time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I eventually found one used just trolling Craigslist daily for a month or two.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Continuously hassle your local office furniture resellers, too. I've gotten good deals on stuff by not giving a poo poo how mad I make them

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I really want a Steelcase Leap for home, where is a good place to find one gently used? I won't be able to afford a $1k chair for a loooooong time.

I got mine from Craigslist. Took, like, three or four days of watching, but I live in a tech hub with startups shutting down on the regs.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

I... I think I got a job at an honest to god good MSP? Everyone is chill, they use a pretty good software stack, they have cool clients, the snacks are actually good, they encourage taking time off to prevent burn out. I mean, it's only been 3 days here so I'm sure things might change a bit but I feel like I might have landed in a good spot and it's really put my anxiety at ease.

Take advantage of any benefits like cert reimbursement, PTO for training. Schedule the test for certs so you study instead of procrastinating

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

This picture basically approximates hell and gives me anxiety just looking at it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How loving cold is it in that office? One dude has on a jacket, one a hoodies, two dudes with sweaters....

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

How loving cold is it in that office? One dude has on a jacket, one a hoodies, two dudes with sweaters....

The picture is just fiction (marketing), just like the idea that "open offices are cool and good for you". No they aren't, open offices in any capacity or format suck balls. What they are, is cheap. That is definitely true. They kill productivity and will to live.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't mind if everyone is quiet and considerate. All of our developers were in one at a previous job and I liked it. But then someone would come in to talk to one of us and BLABH ALBHABLABLAHBLAHBALBH

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Volguus posted:

They kill productivity and will to live.

I have neither so open offices don't really bother me.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

I don't mind if everyone is quiet and considerate. All of our developers were in one at a previous job and I liked it. But then someone would come in to talk to one of us and BLABH ALBHABLABLAHBLAHBALBH

The potential for somebody to roll in and become a Weapon of Mass Disturbance is way too high, and putting an entire team in the blast radius is reckless.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volguus posted:

The picture is just fiction (marketing), just like the idea that "open offices are cool and good for you". No they aren't, open offices in any capacity or format suck balls. What they are, is cheap. That is definitely true. They kill productivity and will to live.

Love the articles recently that are like "did corp culture get the open format office wrong??"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Back when I worked in an open office, I intentionally would walk outside when I took a call because I know how much my voice carries. It's tough not to be a disturbance even when you don't mean to be one.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mewse posted:

Love the articles recently that are like "did corp culture get the open format office wrong??"

I don't think they got it wrong, revenue and profits are at an all time high. Low salaries, you can employ more drones, fire some old ones and move on. And, as we can see, it works.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My office used to be in the server room in the basement. PRO: it was quiet and no one ever came down unless there was a catastrophe. If I fell asleep for an hour at my desk on a slow day no one would notice. CON: it was cold. I'd be wearing a jacket in July and shivering like a chihuahua all day. Also listening to a dozen servers hum for 8 hours a day was probably not great for my long term hearing.

Now I've been moved upstairs to a real office but with one of those glass doors so people are always peering in so I call it a wash.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Vargatron posted:

Back when I worked in an open office, I intentionally would walk outside when I took a call because I know how much my voice carries. It's tough not to be a disturbance even when you don't mean to be one.
On the flip side though, walking outside when you take a call is 1) an unreasonable request and 2) doesn't make life miserable for everyone which means there's no reason to change things. Malicious compliance dictates you take that call at your desk without a care in the world.

I read an article recently which said it's improper to ask a potential employee if you'll have an office. That is wrong. Where you sit is 2nd in importance only to how big your paycheck will be.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I'm looking at this security group called NTWSADMINS and I keep reading it as Ntw Sadmins.

Re: working space chat, I have asked in the past what the workspaces are like while interviewing (bonus if they actually show me) and I made the mistake of not asking for my current job, assuming the rather private cubicle farms we walked past were typical but nope, lovely desks with dividers in dead end rows for the entire IT staff (private offices for management of course).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On the flip side though, walking outside when you take a call is 1) an unreasonable request and 2) doesn't make life miserable for everyone which means there's no reason to change things. Malicious compliance dictates you take that call at your desk without a care in the world.

I read an article recently which said it's improper to ask a potential employee if you'll have an office. That is wrong. Where you sit is 2nd in importance only to how big your paycheck will be.

I always desperately want to ask an employer about the actual workspace in an interview. Never seems appropriate, but then your desk is a folding table and chair in the middle of a room full of other people and fuuuuuuuuuuck.

If open floor plans weren't a productivity and morale killer, then the ImPoRtAnT PeOpLe wouldn't all demand separate offices, usually in an entirely separate part of the building.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The making GBS threads facilities at a potential employer are also important

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Counterpoint: I don't want anybody to hear my conversations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Thanks Ants posted:

The making GBS threads facilities at a potential employer are also important

Always take a bathroom break during an interview so you can see what the making GBS threads situation is gonna be.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

very stable genius posted:

Always take a bathroom break during an interview so you can see what the making GBS threads situation is gonna be.

What a great idea! Single ply is killing me at work

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sepist posted:

here in IT we're on our own floor & building. There's better TP where non IT staff is at.

Same poo poo with coffee for a while.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Single ply :gonk:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh yeah we were not given tissues for our floor for about 8 months too.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We used to get nice TP, now it's single ply everywhere and it's terrible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

Can I ask my interviewer if the company culture is pro courtesy flush? I am tired of my companies super nice, clean bathrooms smelling like rotten corpses because people won't flush their first salvo.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sickening posted:

Can I ask my interviewer if the company culture is pro courtesy flush? I am tired of my companies super nice, clean bathrooms smelling like rotten corpses because people won't flush their first salvo.

I have also started avoiding the bathrooms between 12PM-2PM, the last time I walked in at about 12:45 and my eyes started watering it was so loving bad.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where in the hell so you guys work? My current projects employer has automatic flushers, intake ventilation and you own stall is essentially a small room.

There’s also an air purifier that emits a fragrance each time the door is opened.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Where in the hell so you guys work? My current projects employer has automatic flushers, intake ventilation and you own stall is essentially a small room.

There’s also an air purifier that emits a fragrance each time the door is opened.

we have none of that, the bathrooms are typical public restrooms, we have 3 + handicap stall; we have a lot of people with poor dietary habits and as a result have awful horrible bathroom excretions.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'll never work in a MSP again if only for how terrible the bathrooms smelled. I'm glad I'm a man due to that consideration too.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

AlternateAccount posted:

I always desperately want to ask an employer about the actual workspace in an interview. Never seems appropriate, but then your desk is a folding table and chair in the middle of a room full of other people and fuuuuuuuuuuck.

If open floor plans weren't a productivity and morale killer, then the ImPoRtAnT PeOpLe wouldn't all demand separate offices, usually in an entirely separate part of the building.

We've definitely lost a few people over the years in no small part because there wasn't a cube for them and they were stuck on these crappy rolling tables between the end of cube rows. It's like 1/4 the size of a cube, the table is lower, no drawers for personal belongings, etc.

Tab8715 posted:

This sounds suspiciously like a country that doesn't have freedom :911:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'll never work in a MSP again if only for how terrible the bathrooms smelled. I'm glad I'm a man due to that consideration too.

Until recently when women joined the after-hours teams, the women's bathrooms were preferred among some of the guys here. We have way, way more men than women here, and their bathrooms are usually stink free and clean. Halfway through the weekend the floor under the urinals is sticky with dried urine and at least one of the two men's room toilets is clogged and deadly.

e: it's bad enough that I've started pooping at home off the clock. Work is better than these facilities sometimes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I think I might have told this before but, it's funny and we're on bathroom chat!

Long ago in an office far far away, when I actually enjoyed my job and had just been brought into a new position as a junior admin, I worked out of our clients office, 3 floors a few hundred people, nothing too crazy. There were decent facilities on each floor that you could actually use at pretty much any time. Well, today the one on the floor I worked on was full, so I decided to go up a floor instead of down (downstairs was usually empty so pretty private) so I could chat with a few people after finishing my business. I go into the bathroom, saddle up to a urinal and start doing my business. Another guy walks in, lines up with the urinal next to me, I hear him undo his belt and then the belt buckle hits the tile. Yeah, dude just drops it all to the floor and does his business; I never again dared go up to the 3rd floor, there be monsters.

Just really weird for a lot of reasons, also I just realized that story sounds way better in person than typing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Making the case to move off of Spiceworks, free is not a requirement, but is a nice to have.

Looking at osticket and freshdesk, any others out there that people really like?