Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kashuno posted:

cjs: we are shifting VMs from on-prem VMWare to Azure now for production :toot:

We have people here who desperately want to do this. Not the technical administrators of the servers or VM structure, of course. Just executives who think it's the WAVE OF THE FUTURE and have been getting hard-sold by MS on costs/benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

We have people here who desperately want to do this. Not the technical administrators of the servers or VM structure, of course. Just executives who think it's the WAVE OF THE FUTURE and have been getting hard-sold by MS on costs/benefits.

Our execs want to move our file servers to Azure and I just need them to pump the breaks and let us just move the things that actually make sense to move

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The real problem with not giving people more than a 10% raise is... that there's really no problem. Somehow the earth still rotates and jobs still get done. There are about 300 people in IT who demand their true value and will stand on principle, and about 1/3rd of them are in this thread. The rest of the industry will do whatever they're told, for any amount of money, and if they don't, someone else will. So very likely, there will be no lesson learned by upper management.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The real problem with not giving people more than a 10% raise is... that there's really no problem. Somehow the earth still rotates and jobs still get done. There are about 300 people in IT who demand their true value and will stand on principle, and about 1/3rd of them are in this thread. The rest of the industry will do whatever they're told, for any amount of money, and if they don't, someone else will. So very likely, there will be no lesson learned by upper management.

Right, poo poo still gets done, it just gets done slower and less efficiently, which if you haven't been paying attention is a common source of frustration to people who work in this industry. It's a race to the bottom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The problem is why can't they get a 10%+ raise, dammit! It's not fair!! :rant:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The company I work for has some bullshit like that too. You cant get a raise above like 3% unless you have a title change. So there are alot of senior titles. I might be Senior Network Administrator soon because my boss wants to keep me around. Then Senior Network Administrator II or some bullshit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I get like 8%/year automatically under our current collective agreement :smug:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

GreenNight posted:

The company I work for has some bullshit like that too. You cant get a raise above like 3% unless you have a title change. So there are alot of senior titles. I might be Senior Network Administrator soon because my boss wants to keep me around. Then Senior Network Administrator II or some bullshit.

I think my company is the same way. 3% raises forever. Every dept head is a VP or a ‘Senior’ VP. The worst title I saw was ‘Senior CFO’ as if there was a Jr position.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/1052010729501536257

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
TL;DR: Any tips on not being toxic in IT?

It was recently brought to my attention that the tone I convey isn't always particularly nice or welcoming. It's not really my intention, but it's also not that surprising. It's not the first time in my life I've heard I need to work on tone.

I'm also not particularly great when working with people I believe to be wrong or that don't seem to know their job particularly well.

I don't believe these traits are going to be beneficial to my career long-term, and I'm sure the people around me don't particularly enjoy them either, but I'm not really even sure how to start on correcting these issues.

Has anyone else dealt with this? How have you improved?

To some extent it seems like what Linus is currently trying to address, though I'd argue I'm not quite that bad. (Nor am I so successful) Has he written anything about what he's doing since the original announcement?

PBS fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 16, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There are books that can help with that. It's tough not to be condescending sometimes and it's a skill that can be harder to learn for some. I find it easier to just keep my mouth shut.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

PBS posted:

It was recently brought to my attention that the tone I convey isn't always particularly nice or welcoming. It's not really my intention, but it's also not that surprising. It's not the first time in my life I've heard I need to work on tone.

I'm also not particularly great when working with people I believe to be wrong or that don't seem to know their job particularly well.

I don't believe these traits are going to be beneficial to my career long-term, and I'm sure the people around me don't particularly enjoy them either, but I'm not really even sure how to start on correcting these issues.

To some extent it seems like what Linus is currently trying to address, though I'd argue I'm not quite that bad. (Nor am I so successful) Has he written anything about what he's doing since the original announcement?

In your internal written electronic communications, you can be formal on the first message to someone, but on following messages, don't be afraid to throw in a smiley face :)

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

GreenNight posted:

There are books that can help with that. It's tough not to be condescending sometimes and it's a skill that can be harder to learn for some. I find it easier to just keep my mouth shut.

Yeah, I try that too. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work, I always have to talk at some point.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In your internal written electronic communications, you can be formal on the first message to someone, but on following messages, don't be afraid to throw in a smiley face :)

Yeah, I overuse emojii's. It probably does help some, but I feel like I use them too much.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I struggled with this. Still do. Honestly it’s just experience to see when you’re being toxic. Don’t put yourself in those situations. Take a break and clear your head before you respond. In a heated argument I fake a phone call so I can take a break.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Also have an outlet. I use this thread. loving morons all of you.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Empathy.

Not everyone is good or great at their job and that’s okay. They’re still people and often deserve at least some respect. This poo poo is just a job and isn’t worth getting worked up over. See that other people have their own experiences too and are just trying to get by.

If you’re snarky a lot of the time just try not to be. Your snark or humor probably isn’t funny anyway. If you’re quick to frustration then practice meditation and focus on things that divert or calm you down.

Soft skills will get you ahead in life so it’s best to get good at them.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

Empathy.

Not everyone is good or great at their job and that’s okay. They’re still people and often deserve at least some respect. This poo poo is just a job and isn’t worth getting worked up over. See that other people have their own experiences too and are just trying to get by.

If you’re snarky a lot of the time just try not to be. Your snark or humor probably isn’t funny anyway. If you’re quick to frustration then practice meditation and focus on things that divert or calm you down.

Soft skills will get you ahead in life so it’s best to get good at them.

Well said George H.W. oval office

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

PBS posted:

You are probably paid well to do something you enjoy because you are smart. Be grateful for that. Find ways to take joy in your daily work.

Just because someone else is wrong doesn't mean they are poo poo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PBS posted:

I do not suffer fools lightly and get around an annual "You must stop being an rear end in a top hat" talk. Do you have a mentor of some sorts at work? Ask them for help. Take note of times when you are exasperated at end users and figure out what specifically about it is exasperating. When are you sighing, rolling your eyes, etc. You might think it's "subtle' but it isn't. Go through this list and see it from their eyes. They literally don't know what's going on, but they're probably afraid to talk to you about it because you're "mean." Even if they "should" know what's going on, their calling you is literally why you have a paycheck and is basically job security. Until IBM replaces you with an army of H-1B's.

Remember, they think your job is black loving magic just like you likely think their job is a tedious waste of oxygen, but it's a necessary cog in the machine. You know this because management hired them, and it's not worth your effort to give a poo poo. Everyone might be making the worst, stupidest decision, and all you want to drill home is that you want to be a person they can come to for help with these things before they hit it with a hammer. Management might be making the worst, dumbest decision. Unless you can be constructive about it let it go.

Do you have mental health benefits? Use them. Checkout something like "cognitive behavioral therapy." Go talk to someone. Tell your manager (or whomever gave you this talk) that you are seeking this help. You don't have to be crazy to benefit from therapy. You might also have to go through 2-3 therapists to find one you "click" with and can gain useful information from.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Go into the bathroom and masturbate before you respond to email.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

adorai posted:

You are probably paid well to do something you enjoy because you are smart. Be grateful for that. Find ways to take joy in your daily work.

Just because someone else is wrong doesn't mean they are poo poo.

I don't think other people are poo poo per say, the circumstance is generally more that I need help with something and they aren't being helpful.

I work in an enterprise setting and roles are pretty segregated. We have network guys, windows server guys, linux server guys, vmware guys, sql server guys, postgres guys, and on and on. My role is on the application side, so I have some surface knowledge of a lot of these things, but not a deep knowledge of any singular. The issue I regularly tend to run into is we have a problem, I go through a fair amount of effort to diagnose, and while I can generally narrow things down and present an argument for why I'm reaching out to team XYZ for the problem, they will turn around and say it can't be them, it must be us, without presenting any logical argument for why they think that's the case.

It's exceedingly frustrating to always be stonewalled by other teams and when we escalate or push hard enough to get them to stop dismissing us, they still end up either not being competent enough or not caring enough to resolve the issue.

I've worked with a number of people over the years here that I didn't consider to be particularly competent, but as long as they've shown effort or are doing their best to learn and grow I've had a good relationship with them.

A lot of it is just frustration, I've been here a fair amount of time now and I think I've become jaded.

PS. I really don't think I'm paid that well either.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

I do not suffer fools lightly and get around an annual "You must stop being an rear end in a top hat" talk. Do you have a mentor of some sorts at work? Ask them for help. Take note of times when you are exasperated at end users and figure out what specifically about it is exasperating. When are you sighing, rolling your eyes, etc. You might think it's "subtle' but it isn't. Go through this list and see it from their eyes. They literally don't know what's going on, but they're probably afraid to talk to you about it because you're "mean." Even if they "should" know what's going on, their calling you is literally why you have a paycheck and is basically job security. Until IBM replaces you with an army of H-1B's.

Remember, they think your job is black loving magic just like you likely think their job is a tedious waste of oxygen, but it's a necessary cog in the machine. You know this because management hired them, and it's not worth your effort to give a poo poo. Everyone might be making the worst, stupidest decision, and all you want to drill home is that you want to be a person they can come to for help with these things before they hit it with a hammer. Management might be making the worst, dumbest decision. Unless you can be constructive about it let it go.

Do you have mental health benefits? Use them. Checkout something like "cognitive behavioral therapy." Go talk to someone. Tell your manager (or whomever gave you this talk) that you are seeking this help. You don't have to be crazy to benefit from therapy. You might also have to go through 2-3 therapists to find one you "click" with and can gain useful information from.

No, no mentor.

Users are users, but I don't tend to have a lot of trouble with them. There is the occasional user that I find difficult to manage, but I think most of my problems are just general tone in communication and working with some of our other internal support teams.

I've looked at that and haven't had a lot of luck finding a doctor for it, most of the ones I've seen have very specific specialties that they don't want to see anyone outside of. Anxiety, eating disorders, etc.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

very stable genius posted:

Go into the bathroom and masturbate before you respond to email.

Takes too much time, bring your laptop and multitask.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Takes too much time, bring your laptop and multitask.

Always important to check WiFi in the bathroom.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
There have been a number of occasions at my new job where I felt like standing my ground and really throwing a piece of my mind around. In one case, a team didn't make firewall considerations to their project, reached out last minute, asked for 100+ changes in 2 days, and more or less implied they would throw our team under the bus if testing their project was delayed. I was livid and ready to snap off about how their lack of planning doesn't constitute our emergency, we had other work planned and weren't willing to drop our commitments for a thing we just learned about.

It was much easier to take a breath, admit I was being grumpy about it, and respond in a reasonable tone asking for collaboration on a plan for their testing. We ended up finding the bare minimum changes required for testing, put them in place, everything was successful, and the requesting team apologized for their oversight.

Since then they've been very proactive in bringing us in early because we showed how we're helpful and cooperative.

Sometimes you just say 'I'm just grumpy today', eat a snack, and understand that people make mistakes.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

High turnover because of lower wages is a huge problem. Loss of institutional knowledge, higher costs of hiring, decreased performance and eventually unfinished work can all end up affecting the bottom line. It is exasperated by other employment issues, overstaffing, work life balance, lack of benefits. If those are all fine it can be manageable, but they often go together.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Personally. I send clam down pictures of drawn dicks that I sketch during meetings. I’ve gotten good at dicks in dinosaur mouths.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Personally. I send clam down pictures of drawn dicks that I sketch during meetings. I’ve gotten good at dicks in dinosaur mouths.

This is not wrong.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Edmonton goons

I'm going to be in Edmonton on October 25 to cause trouble at Nait.

Where are we going for lunch

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GreenNight posted:

I have never seen a book on this that was any help whatsoever because to implement any advice from the book the necessary "took a deep breath, thought about what to do" must be done already, and if you did that you've already calmed yourself down.

I don't scream at people or anything but I also find it exasperating when someone else in IT who doesn't feel like doing their job creates work for me, which is happening a lot right now. I am handling it by:

- Doing everything about a sensitive subject in writing, so there is a paper trail
- Never writing anything in an email that I would be uncomfortable with getting out
- CC'ing management (this is only helpful if your management is good)
- Forcing myself to consider the political ramifications of these emails and re-reading them a few times before sending them
- When I think "maybe I shouldn't send this," always, ALWAYS choosing not to send it
- Accepting that sometimes my time is going to be wasted and that's just life in IT

I am going to be making a site visit this morning for a very stupid issue where the person escalating it to me did zero thinking and should have been able to solve it on their own. I drafted a couple of emails to him asking for information that he should have provided upfront (pro tip: draft your emails without anything in the To: field so that you can't accidentally hit Send on something you shouldn't), but couldn't get the tone right and ultimately decided that this ticket is for a VIP user and it will be better if I just go deal with it rather than taking the time for a Teachable Moment. I should not have to make this visit and frankly don't really have the time this morning, but it's the smart move. I will talk to his supervisor later so that he can be taught how to handle this properly.

In general, satisfying as it is to go the other way on this stuff, as you said, it does you zero favors. Being nice to people generally pays better dividends and you can trade on your reputation as a level-headed person later.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

PBS posted:

It might not strictly apply, but as an example from the other side one of our seniors is kinda "Toxic" like this and I actively avoid him because it annoys the holy gently caress out me interacting with him.

Generally whenever I ask for information I don't have or I just need help all I get it some worthless half-jokey smarmy answer. Or even stupid poo poo like when I once pinged the team to take over an issue I was unable to help with, and all I got was this dude saying "Have you tried fixing it".
Heck even today I was told straight-up "You did half a job working on [X] PC as it wasn't assigned [Y] address meaning [Z] software didn't work" despite that I already asked prior if there were any gotchas or specific config for this thing which got me nothing.

Nothing annoys me more than passive aggression and a sense of superiority when in person, as its been mention a couple of times just have some Empathy and just talk to people as if they are humans and not robots.
Despite all this when it comes to Text communication I tend to glance over it since a lot of people often accidentally mangle their intentions with their wording/grammar.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Two former bosses left for another company 6 months ago. Their new company is growing and now they need my position. I’m getting invited to drinks and dinner to meet the owners. It’s a financial start up with a ton of capital, so it will be one of those stress++ with money++ situations.

On the other hand, my current corporate gig is cushy and steady, and I’m looking at a “market adjustment” in a few months.

I’ve never been in this spot. Other than the obvious interview-ey stuff, what should I look for when them asking them about the role they are trying to poach me for?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PBS posted:

I have thoughts but it's the middle of a workday so I'm just going to drop Crucial Conversations for now

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

PBS posted:

Make it a habit to avoid saying negative things about people, especially in public forums. If you do have to discuss somebody's performance, then do so in a tactful way. Try and put yourself in the position of others and consider what they are going through in order to do their job.

It's important to keep in mind that you are the only one who can control your performance. You can't force other people in the workplace to perform the way that you want them to. That's up to themselves and their supervisors.

I would start out by listing out the potential ways that you are negatively communicating with your team. This is going to require some introspection and it make not be a comfortable thing to do, but it will help you in the long run. Once you have a list of things to improve upon, come up with a concrete way that you're going to address each point. Don't try and tackle everything at once, but just focus on actioning each item for long term improvement.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vulture Culture posted:

I have thoughts but it's the middle of a workday so I'm just going to drop Crucial Conversations for now

My previous org sent everyone at the middle manager level and up to an event where they passed out that book and had an two-hour long talk/exercises about it. Less than a week later my boss blew up at me and screamed "What the gently caress do you think you're doing, young lady?!"

Money and time well spent.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"young lady" lmao. What are you, his daughter??

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vargatron posted:

"young lady" lmao. What are you, his daughter??

Heh, I remember a time where I needed to have my car towed from the office, and he let me use w/e benefit he had on his insurance that gave himself and his immediate family unlimited free tows. He told me if the tow guy asked I should say that I was his wife. I think I laughed (uncomfortably) and suggested maybe his daughter would be more appropriate. 20+ years older than me...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God drat why are dudes so loving creepy. Especially IT dudes. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Explorer posted:

God drat why are dudes so loving creepy. Especially IT dudes. gently caress.

We are doing more commercials next week and the CEO decided to pay actors this time instead of trying to get the employees to wear office attire used in those office fetish porn shoots. We don't have to have employees burst into tears because she doesn't want to wear a top that she is overflowing out of.