Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

monsterzero posted:

Hope this round of candidates all fall through and they can re-org before they hire your new Athletics Director, because higher ed leadership are literal toddlers who will throw a tantrum if anyone tries to touch their toys even if they didn't know they had them, how to use them, or any interest in managing them.

What's great is that the dean who signs off on IT improvements has IT requests filtered through our boss who then passes it up two levels then back down two to get them approved or denied. We're pushing to just report directly to the dean who handles IT disbursements for the college.

The org chart is a disaster and people are petty as gently caress, but I have zero overtime requirements and I get off every day at 4:30PM so I can't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Vargatron posted:

The org chart is a disaster and people are petty as gently caress, but I have zero overtime requirements and I get off every day at 4:30PM so I can't complain.

Oh I get it. In thirty more years my pension is going to rule.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
:yotj:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Goongrats

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I'm pretty sure my current boss' ears were burning because all of a sudden it's "we want you to take over Mac deployment and ops"

gently caress off. That's not what I want to do you micromanaging idiot. Just because I know how to use the terminal doesn't mean I want to do MDM bullshit.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Today I learned that DDR4 RAM now features a curved die cut on the pins. Apparently that's how you tell DDR4 from DDR3.

I really thought I got a batch of RAM with a manufacturing error.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Today I learned that DDR4 RAM now features a curved die cut on the pins. Apparently that's how you tell DDR4 from DDR3.

I really thought I got a batch of RAM with a manufacturing error.

Also the slot is more in the middle

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I noticed that as well, but that was more annoyance than anything else. It's like plugging in a USB cable! Gotta flip it twice to alter reality.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Today I have priced out what it will be like to move our florida office VMs to Azure and just do it through there. It's going to cost 2.6% of what our on prem solution currently costs, all things being equal. :toot:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vargatron posted:

I noticed that as well, but that was more annoyance than anything else. It's like plugging in a USB cable! Gotta flip it twice to alter reality.
USB-A exists in 4 dimensional space.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-10-04

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is true, but beware the day it actually fits on the first try.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Has anyone used Veeams oversized VM recommendations? They seem...aggressive. I get they’re using the data directly and calculating everything but it flies in the face of conventional wisdom that it’s hard to stomach if it’s right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

George H.W. oval office posted:

Has anyone used Veeams oversized VM recommendations? They seem...aggressive. I get they’re using the data directly and calculating everything but it flies in the face of conventional wisdom that it’s hard to stomach if it’s right.

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I kind of wonder how much we'd save if we just slightly under provisioned by default and just put up with things being a tiny bit slower.

Probably trillions.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

I kind of wonder how much we'd save if we just slightly under provisioned by default and just put up with things being a tiny bit slower.

Probably trillions.

You'd probably lose more in productivity than you saved.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to...

I think he’s referring to the base VM power recommendations to host the VEeam application. I do remember it being fairly Beefy.

In all honesty though if you can spare having your Veeam server be powerful it is a major benefit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd rather just add proxy servers then give a VM something silly like 16 vCPU. I don't trust app vendors to make recommendations on VM sizing, to be honest.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Veeam One is their monitoring and reports product that they like to try and push with Backup and Replication. One of their reports has some pretty aggressive sizing recommendations based on metrics taken from Hyper-V and Vsphere. It seems pretty slick so far.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My favorite on the list of unusual superpowers is "able to insert a USB plug correctly in only two tries"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I'd rather just add proxy servers then give a VM something silly like 16 vCPU. I don't trust app vendors to make recommendations on VM sizing, to be honest.

You know for some reason I never thought the proxy servers Had as much efficiency as the main server did. I get the need for them in certain situations due to network layout or whatever, but for some reason I always had lackluster experience with them.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Do Cisco cordless phones usually need local DHCP to connect properly to wireless? Spent like 6 hours with TAC wondering why DHCP requests were stuck sending requests over and over until I changed it to local instead of our centralized server. The centralized configuration works at a bunch of other sites so I’m at a complete loss.

It’s been a week and a half of whack a mole with wireless issues since TAC made me patch our controller for an issue where that wasn’t the problem. Thinking of reverting over the weekend and seeing if it helps so I can actually get some stuff done next week. the director decided we’re just going to stop messing around with wireless issues if only cell phones are affected lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

You know for some reason I never thought the proxy servers Had as much efficiency as the main server did. I get the need for them in certain situations due to network layout or whatever, but for some reason I always had lackluster experience with them.

I may be talking out of my rear end here but we have a local proxy server that goes along with our main Veeam server and it seems to do okay. Can't say I've ever looked at it too carefully, but it solved a performance bottleneck for us. Also allows a different network interface to be used. We're on 10g now, but when we were still using 1g it made a difference.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
We use VeeamONE and are analyzing our environment to see if the sizing recommendations are accurate. They seem to be pretty reasonable so far. We’re just watching some of our applications with spiky demand to see if they’ll be able to perform under load if we size by Veeam’s suggestions.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Docjowles posted:

This is true, but beware the day it actually fits on the first try.

:v:

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

USB ports are composed of 1.5-spin particles.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tetramin posted:

Do Cisco cordless phones usually need local DHCP to connect properly to wireless? Spent like 6 hours with TAC wondering why DHCP requests were stuck sending requests over and over until I changed it to local instead of our centralized server. The centralized configuration works at a bunch of other sites so I’m at a complete loss.

It’s been a week and a half of whack a mole with wireless issues since TAC made me patch our controller for an issue where that wasn’t the problem. Thinking of reverting over the weekend and seeing if it helps so I can actually get some stuff done next week. the director decided we’re just going to stop messing around with wireless issues if only cell phones are affected lol

I am very tired just now and maybe this is a stupid question but do you have the DHCP options (Option 150, e.g.) for this subnet properly set on the central scope? I'm assuming the scope was actually created there.

guppy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 8, 2018

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

George H.W. oval office posted:

Veeam One is their monitoring and reports product that they like to try and push with Backup and Replication. One of their reports has some pretty aggressive sizing recommendations based on metrics taken from Hyper-V and Vsphere. It seems pretty slick so far.

I’m evaluating backup/light DR solutions right now and that’s the one of the two features that’s giving me pause (the other is the sandboxing) in going with Standard and not Enterprise. It would be nice to know how over provisioned my guests are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

My favorite on the list of unusual superpowers is "able to insert a USB plug correctly in only two tries"

fuuuuuuuuuck I might have to put this on my resume.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

TerryLennox posted:

USB ports are composed of 1.5-spin particles.

I like you

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Joy to the world, the fax is dead...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46497526

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

It's amazingly alive and well in Japan though.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-34667380

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Wow, who would have guessed - although the high SME rate kinda makes sense I guess.

Anyway, is this normal:

We discovered some stuff was offline
we look and conclude almost certainly a fibre in duct issue somewhere.
We get our fibre guy to quote us - he says I'll rod the ducts and price it up - finds collapsed ducts and tells us he doesn't fit ducts.

I said to the facilities manager do you know anyone that fits ducts - big fat nope.

I'm pretty sure that we are going to be digging which means the facilities guys probably want to advise us about other services such as water and electricity

But apparently not my FM manager ha ha.

Time for a CYA email...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm having a little trouble parsing that, but am I understanding correctly that you're worried about hitting underground utilities while burying fiber? Yeah, uh, you should be. You really want to get a private locate service to mark them out. I think one might be legally required, not sure if that's jurisdictional, but it would also just be insane not to. You do not want to hit a gas main. Your facilities people may also have maps showing existing services but you should still have it checked and marked out.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Basically yeah that is my concern.

I'm UK and not sure what the laws are but I dragged the guy doing the survey over to facilities, made them get the drawings out and come with us to do the survey.

So I'm very confident that a) there wont be a problem and b) I've checked it with facilities and they agree there wont be a problem.

The real question is:

If you had a fibre damaged in a collapsed duct, would you arrange for it to be repaired or would you get your facilities guys to resolve this for you?
I'm surprised facilities are pushing back on this - kinda assuming they are just being their usual lazy selves but it might be me who is wrong

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

"The internet is slow there and sometimes we send funny messages to each other using a fax machine. The sound it makes is really satisfying."

I guess that about sums up the use case.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angry armadillo posted:

If you had a fibre damaged in a collapsed duct, would you arrange for it to be repaired or would you get your facilities guys to resolve this for you?
I'm surprised facilities are pushing back on this - kinda assuming they are just being their usual lazy selves but it might be me who is wrong

When you say duct, you mean underground runs?

But yeah, any kind of underground/trench work would be managed by facilities. Whether they do it themselves, or managed the contractors who do.

The cost involved also comes out of Facility's budget, not IT's if you can swing it.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

When you say duct, you mean underground runs?

But yeah, any kind of underground/trench work would be managed by facilities. Whether they do it themselves, or managed the contractors who do.

The cost involved also comes out of Facility's budget, not IT's if you can swing it.
I do indeed. I have my monthly catchup with my boss today so I'll mention it took great efforts to get FM to even pay attention to the fact that I want to dig the floor up and stick stuff under there... when really their alarm bells should be going off straight away and rightly so.

In good news - this very much comes out of the Facility money, one of my most enjoyable tasks at work is finding ways to spend their money :D

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

So I'm very confident that a) there wont be a problem and b) I've checked it with facilities and they agree there wont be a problem.

5 minutes after breaking ground: "hey uh does it smell like gas to anyone else?"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

angry armadillo posted:

Lol. This isn’t the kind of thing to for YOU to be overconfident about. People like YOU are why we have these crazy digging fiascos where major fiber lines get cut or gas emergencies happen.

Even if you are totally right let someone who actually has the chops to be overly confident can chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How is anyone supposed to get a job these days without knowing someone or having a ridiculous amount of certs and exp?

I trawl the job boards and get something like four responses for 100 applications and out of those get past the phone screen like once, but I ask my bros and get a 100% response rate and pretty much get to the interview if I want the job. I have my bachelors and about a year as the IT department for a small financial firm, so I'd think I'd have a fair shot.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 10, 2018