Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My boss just freaked out because one of the Server 2008R2 patches that was released this month wouldn't install...
It was KB4538483, which is a Microsoft ESU Licensing Preparation Package.

We are not paying for Microsoft's Extended Security Updates program :eng99:
I still have no idea how the gently caress he even knew that patch existed, let alone thought we should be installing it.

The worst part is that one of our engineers wasted like 2 hours trying to figure out what the hell the problem was before I found out it was an issue and explained what the ESU program is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss just freaked out because one of the Server 2008R2 patches that was released this month wouldn't install...
It was KB4538483, which is a Microsoft ESU Licensing Preparation Package.

We are not paying for Microsoft's Extended Security Updates program :eng99:
I still have no idea how the gently caress he even knew that patch existed, let alone thought we should be installing it.

The worst part is that one of our engineers wasted like 2 hours trying to figure out what the hell the problem was before I found out it was an issue and explained what the ESU program is.

Is this the first time he's checking on patch compliance since January? Nothing since then is going to install without the ESU license...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sirotan posted:

Is this the first time he's checking on patch compliance since January? Nothing since then is going to install without the ESU license...

Nope! In fact there was a patch for ESU licensing in February.
I think there might have been some MSRT's available though?

I really have no loving clue where this poo poo came from. Completely left field.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
With the exception of those that work exclusively in Cloud, would most of say you are seeing people use IIS less and less for a webserver and start to move to Tomcat or other alternatives?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
IIS = It Is poo poo

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"We won't have to pay for extended updates if we install the patch manually, WHAT A SCAM"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Nope! In fact there was a patch for ESU licensing in February.
I think there might have been some MSRT's available though?

I really have no loving clue where this poo poo came from. Completely left field.

There were some servicing stack updates that you need to apply before you can activate ESU on specific devices. Four of 'em, all needing a reboot.

Also, we made a trainer cuss out his own company's product this morning. Nexthink Finder is an amazing tool, but it has a column display issue that's going to be annoying every single time we use it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bonzo posted:

With the exception of those that work exclusively in Cloud, would most of say you are seeing people use IIS less and less for a webserver and start to move to Tomcat or other alternatives?

Isnt tomcat an Apache+java(?) server platform and not just a simple web server?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

IIS is fine and is still used a lot, especially if you're hosting ASP.NET applications.

Tomcat is primarily used to host Java applications.

You'll see nginx in linux/k8s/docker hosted applications.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

IIS = It Is poo poo

Internet Is poo poo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A client just opted to have me open up IMAP/POP and disable 2FA since the app passwords stopped working today for the default iPhone email application which uses activesync.

I showed logs of attempts to get into the CEO and administrator(s) accounts via IMAP.

I'm of course being blamed for moving an AD Sync server last night and disabling IMAP and POP.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone have a good solution for a NVME USB adapter? We told a user to backup their docs to ~The Cloud~ before giving their laptop to dell. They didn't and dell ended up having to replace the hard drive, so I have this nvme stick that I really don't want to do laptop surgery just to grab a few docs off of it. Quickly googling and amazoning has a few different kind of NVME USB adapters but it doesn't appear that one size fits all.

The NVME is a Micron 2200S M.2 2280.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

I'm in finance, 99% Windows environment; we use IIS everywhere, and I don't see any hint of it going anywhere.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A client just opted to have me open up IMAP/POP and disable 2FA since the app passwords stopped working today for the default iPhone email application which uses activesync.

I showed logs of attempts to get into the CEO and administrator(s) accounts via IMAP.

I'm of course being blamed for moving an AD Sync server last night and disabling IMAP and POP.

I fight this but the official corporate answer is Outlook on the iPhone is supported, Mail is not. I'm sorry you cannot use Siri with Outlook contacts but I also do not care.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanatosian posted:

I'm in finance, 99% Windows environment; we use IIS everywhere, and I don't see any hint of it going anywhere.

I will never understand why anyone wouldn't use a web service with a CDN. I don't get what finance has anything to do with it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

I will never understand why anyone wouldn't use a web service with a CDN. I don't get what finance has anything to do with it.
Finance is slow to change/adopt. And I guess I should clarify that we're using IIS for our local services (off the top of my head, at least four or five different instances); externally, I honestly don't know what the gently caress we use, we outsource our website.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kensei posted:

I fight this but the official corporate answer is Outlook on the iPhone is supported, Mail is not. I'm sorry you cannot use Siri with Outlook contacts but I also do not care.

You can can actually sync contacts from Outlook to the local contact apps on iOS and Android. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/outlook-for-ios-and-android-faq-65a01e26-e3c2-4067-bd05-0db6220e5c34#bkmk_savecontacts https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-sync-calendar-and-contacts-with-my-phone-or-tablet-8479d764-b9f5-4fff-ba88-edd7c265df9f

Also, I totally understand that approach and wish I could push for it at my place. Right now we're at a bit of a loss because if you try to contact O365 support they will tell you that they can't support the Outlook app and that the user has to use the in-app support and there's basically no way to involve IT. Unless you get Premium support, of course.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone have a good solution for a NVME USB adapter? We told a user to backup their docs to ~The Cloud~ before giving their laptop to dell. They didn't and dell ended up having to replace the hard drive, so I have this nvme stick that I really don't want to do laptop surgery just to grab a few docs off of it. Quickly googling and amazoning has a few different kind of NVME USB adapters but it doesn't appear that one size fits all.

The NVME is a Micron 2200S M.2 2280.

Pluggable. Buy both the SATA and NVME versions (they are both M.2 but different as you found)

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Is there a magical thing you can buy for o365 that makes it's wiki offerings in sharepoint any better?

I'm being asked to shutdown my team's wiki site and migrate it into office365. It doesn't make sense because the rest of IT isn't going to magically start contributing documentation.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Finance is slow to change/adopt. And I guess I should clarify that we're using IIS for our local services (off the top of my head, at least four or five different instances); externally, I honestly don't know what the gently caress we use, we outsource our website.

We too use IIS in this manner. It runs a web service used by the mobile computer terminals store employees use. It isn't externally accessible though.

The POS/EDI/ERP software we use was written entirely in .NET, uses SQL Server, etc.. It is built entirely on top of MS products. Them using IIS for the WebService just came naturally I guess. Ironically the mobile computers that consume this WebSerivce are Android devices. (Zebra Tech mobile handhelds) They were previously Windows Mobile/Windows CE devices.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Isnt tomcat an Apache+java(?) server platform and not just a simple web server?

Since it's java there's about a 99% chance that there is some horrible enterprise middleware product that will let you run .net code behind it. It would probably require .net core though, or it would just proxy to IIS.

IIS is fine though, or more accurately, it's like the least bad part of running production windows applications.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

O365 Tech: "It'll prompt you to install a certificate onto your system in a second"

NOPE
NOPE
N O P E

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
whats the worst that can happen

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

klosterdev posted:

O365 Tech: "It'll prompt you to install a certificate onto your system in a second"

NOPE
NOPE
N O P E

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/diagnostic-logs/run-fiddler-trace

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

The cert authority is literally called DO_NOT_TRUST and MS is endorsing its use?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

didn't think it'd happen, but today i got massively owned by the "you are too important to your current team to be promoted to the team that wants you" trope

guess who's gonna make himself a whole lot less important the coming weeks

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jeoh posted:

didn't think it'd happen, but today i got massively owned by the "you are too important to your current team to be promoted to the team that wants you" trope

guess who's gonna make himself a whole lot less important the coming weeks

If your work is so important then why aren't you being paid more?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

klosterdev posted:

NOPE
NOPE
N O P E

This is normal for Fiddler and how it works.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is normal for Fiddler and how it works.

Yep.

fiddler basically acts as a proxy. If you don't want to use the cert, install Wiresharek and import the PCAP into Fiddler. I've not tried them but there's apparently some packet tracing tools in windows 10 now. Just google it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you want fiddler to see the SSL traffic, you have to install the cert. You can remove it when you're done.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I know, but our outsourced national helpdesk dropkicks anything more complex than a password reset to my small regional team, and gently caress explaining this to users over and over again

quote:

On iOS, Outlook provides a one-way push of contact information from Outlook to your phone. All newly added contacts and changes should be made in the Outlook app, and these changes can be exported to your built-in Contacts app and email service. Note, you should avoid making edits in the Contacts app. Edits made in the Contacts app will not sync back to Outlook or your email service, and will be overwritten the next time Outlook syncs to the Contacts app.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

This is extremely common. When I worked for an FI about 5 years ago, it was 100% IIS for stuff we built, and about 50/50 IIS and Tomcat for vendor-built stuff we ran on prem. Cloud? That's not something we control, so we're not going to use it :argh:

They've since come around on the cloud thing, but from what I hear from people who still work there, it took a lot to overcome that particular inertia. I think they just got SfB last year :stonklol:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nullfunction posted:

This is extremely common. When I worked for an FI about 5 years ago, it was 100% IIS for stuff we built, and about 50/50 IIS and Tomcat for vendor-built stuff we ran on prem. Cloud? That's not something we control, so we're not going to use it :argh:

They've since come around on the cloud thing, but from what I hear from people who still work there, it took a lot to overcome that particular inertia. I think they just got SfB last year :stonklol:

We've just started looking at getting off SfB on-prem and switching to Teams or another chat client (our department wants Teams) along with hosted Exchange. But all of our internal stuff is from our core software vendor, and IIS-based, we don't have a choice.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

We've just started looking at getting off SfB on-prem and switching to Teams or another chat client (our department wants Teams) along with hosted Exchange. But all of our internal stuff is from our core software vendor, and IIS-based, we don't have a choice.

For core systems like teller, lending, GL, etc. there's often not much choice, especially if it's a smaller FI. The bank I worked for prided themselves on offering technology solutions for their clients (and was by no means small -- in the top 100 US asset-wise when I left and way higher on the list now) but those solutions consisted of 10 year old online banking, a completely different consumer online platform that was at least 15 years old, the new and exciting SFTP site hooked up to a garbage-rear end BizTalk system that shuffled text files around, etc.

Everything except the AS400 was run on prem in 2015. Finance moves slow.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nullfunction posted:

For core systems like teller, lending, GL, etc. there's often not much choice, especially if it's a smaller FI. The bank I worked for prided themselves on offering technology solutions for their clients (and was by no means small -- in the top 100 US asset-wise when I left and way higher on the list now) but those solutions consisted of 10 year old online banking, a completely different consumer online platform that was at least 15 years old, the new and exciting SFTP site hooked up to a garbage-rear end BizTalk system that shuffled text files around, etc.

Everything except the AS400 was run on prem in 2015. Finance moves slow.
IBM offers AS/400 in the cloud!? Jesus, I'll have to tell my mom the next time I call her.

The amount that the international finance infrastructure is dependent upon shuffling unencrypted (like, they're encrypted during transmission, but anyone with access at the FI can look/edit them), human-readable text files around is frankly terrifying.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Thanatosian posted:

IBM offers AS/400 in the cloud!? Jesus, I'll have to tell my mom the next time I call her.

The amount that the international finance infrastructure is dependent upon shuffling unencrypted (like, they're encrypted during transmission, but anyone with access at the FI can look/edit them), human-readable text files around is frankly terrifying.

It wasn't directly through IBM, Fiserv's core systems are (mostly) hosted, I think theirs was out of one of the Georgia datacenters. I think it might even be an iSeries now! Fortunately I did not have to mess much with the core directly, there's a middleware piece that uses XML. One way to get at the core data was a web-based system that was secretly running a terminal behind the scenes and just screen-scraping to render HTML.

I remember having to write a little Python script to compute checksums on NACHA files because we kept having Entry Detail records drop out at one of the steps in the process and it wouldn't recompute the checksums in the trailer records. There was a bit of outrage when I explained how I'd fixed an issue, not because of modifying a file by hand, but because Python was open source and "we don't do that here"

Given the things I've seen you'd think I would store money in a mattress. Banks, man.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What would their preferred tool have been if not python?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

Time for blockchains! /s

(and I would guess the AS/400 was hosted somewhere with even better power redundancy etc)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nullfunction posted:

It wasn't directly through IBM, Fiserv's core systems are (mostly) hosted, I think theirs was out of one of the Georgia datacenters. I think it might even be an iSeries now! Fortunately I did not have to mess much with the core directly, there's a middleware piece that uses XML. One way to get at the core data was a web-based system that was secretly running a terminal behind the scenes and just screen-scraping to render HTML.

I remember having to write a little Python script to compute checksums on NACHA files because we kept having Entry Detail records drop out at one of the steps in the process and it wouldn't recompute the checksums in the trailer records. There was a bit of outrage when I explained how I'd fixed an issue, not because of modifying a file by hand, but because Python was open source and "we don't do that here"

Given the things I've seen you'd think I would store money in a mattress. Banks, man.
gently caress me, I don't even want to consider if our core were on an AS/400; an Oracle database is bad enough.

Also, we're not hosted, heard too many nightmare stories about that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Most of them aren't even AS/400's. That's what we call our ERP, but it's really a Power 8 or whatever the gently caress IBM branded it today. People think it's old, but the hardware is 2 years old and we own 100% of the code. Granted it's RPG, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bonzo posted:

So I know pluralsight.com was free last month, but I'm curious what everyone else prefers? Linux Academy is cheaper, and seems to just focus on just Cloud technologies.

Just wondering if anyone had some feedback?

I mean, what are you looking for training on?

Another option I didn't see mentioned especially if you like reading is learning.oreilly.com (formerly known as Safari). Gives you access to books from many tech publishers, video courses (usually from the same tech publishers) and some online training. If you're paying yourself you can spend $99 on an ACM membership and access is included with that. Also if you're paying yourself Lynda/LinkedIn Learning is often available for free through your local library or from a library you can get a cheap library card from.

I also am a fan of LA/ACG. And ended up paying for Pluralsight when on sale since they had a number of courses I was working through on the Network Automation side of things.