Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

DropsySufferer posted:

I didn’t know they made laptops that could handle more than 32GB and even 32 gigs on a laptop sounds overkill.

Part of our push to get (mostly higher-up) users that had a laptop assigned, but a desktop in their offices down to a single computer involved leading by example in our department. It worked out pretty well, we went from having an alright desktop and mediocre laptop to having nice Dell Precision 7530's. 6 cores, 12 threads, 16GB RAM and a dock (gently caress Dell thunderbolt docks), and we could reallocate our old desktops and laptops to users.

I run a lot of VMs on top of everything else I have open, the memory pressure is now gone and it feels fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
Maybe I've just been lucky. I've never had a need to run a VM on my local machine (be it desktop or laptop) for work. Do you all just not have access to a dev environment or lab where you can build things? Or if your company is so small to not have that I'm guessing you just don't have access to the actual datacenter environment to build what you need?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Creating a new GCP project takes two weeks to get approval and a PO, and my boss refuses to let me do basic poo poo like setting up a tftp server for our Cisco ASAs because it’s “too complicated” and “fragile” for the rest of the team to understand.

At a certain point, it’s easier to just do poo poo locally rather than break standing against that wind.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TheFace posted:

Maybe I've just been lucky. I've never had a need to run a VM on my local machine (be it desktop or laptop) for work. Do you all just not have access to a dev environment or lab where you can build things? Or if your company is so small to not have that I'm guessing you just don't have access to the actual datacenter environment to build what you need?

Sales guys use them for demos (before cloud hosted poo poo became common)
local dev environment
the rest of the developers might not know enough about virt to use dev servers etc
can't get access to old servers for general testing (for example, we hav to degauss the drives so they are useless)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I just had the funniest meeting with a program manager just now. Our team has doubled in size in the last six months and the customer is enormous now. There is a perceived need to self-organize and we've had meeting after meeting after meeting about "process" and "projects" and "streams".

So today the program manager does a followup call with the three in my role on this account and opens the meeting with "This is Asana. We (the account managers and SAs) have set it up like this so you can do things in asana. Isn't this great?"

A half an hour of him selling it and we resisting it and I finally say. "Look. I've been here for six years and I've been using notepad++ for my project management needs. I promise you that I will never use asana for anything as you've presented it to me."

PM: "Wha...?"

How about we start by defining the problem we are trying to solve and map backwards from that instead of giving us a tool and trying to force us to use it?

Sometimes this place.

"I found a neat screwdriver that we can use?"
"Why do I need a screwdriver?"
"No it's great, it'll solve all your needs!"
"But I don't need a-"
"HERE IS A SCREWDRIVER. USE IT!"
"I have some paint flaking off my kitchen wall. I could use some paint..."
"SCREWDRIVER!"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That would probably be enough for me to never engage with that person again.

[edit: and by that person I apparently mean you]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 7, 2020

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I feel any sort of "normal" manager would hate trying to micromanage my group.

Our internal projects are basically put up on a kanban board with five buckets, backlog, IMPORTANT, in progress, blocked, and done. and people just take projects they feel like taking from "IMPORTANT" and if they need help they'll ask for people to assist and if they don't have anything to do and no one needs help they take it from the back log pile. Our managers job is to protect everyone below him from above and to yell at other departments for being slow AF in responding to us.

Any deviation from the above would lead to us digging our heels in and being disagreeable, I do realize though you need a certain group of adults who will just do their jobs without being baby sat.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheFace posted:

Local dev environment for automation engineers, and it's useful to have local site specific VMs setup with all of their controls software and such so that when they are running around sweating their asses off somewhere connecting to some boiler/robot or whatever directly, everything is right there and works. Have the same setup for senior electricians and controls guys at individual plants though they do fine with 16GB since they will only ever run their local vm. Sometimes we're talking about old as poo poo software that requires WinXP to run so these can be handy to have instead of having to maintain XP laptops at the site.

For everyone else it's just normal virtual machines on some datacenter somewhere.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Agrikk posted:

I just had the funniest meeting with a program manager just now. Our team has doubled in size in the last six months and the customer is enormous now. There is a perceived need to self-organize and we've had meeting after meeting after meeting about "process" and "projects" and "streams".

So today the program manager does a followup call with the three in my role on this account and opens the meeting with "This is Asana. We (the account managers and SAs) have set it up like this so you can do things in asana. Isn't this great?"

A half an hour of him selling it and we resisting it and I finally say. "Look. I've been here for six years and I've been using notepad++ for my project management needs. I promise you that I will never use asana for anything as you've presented it to me."

How about we start by defining the problem we are trying to solve and map backwards from that instead of giving us a tool and trying to force us to use it?

Sometimes this place.

"But I don't need a-"
"SCREWDRIVER!"

I see you've met my "Customer Experience Team" that does nothing but survey customers, schmooze them at conferences, and redesign the customer portal every 18 months without actually changing or improving the actual functionality of the drat thing.

We've told them many times over the years some improvements they can make to allow US (Support and Services) to help THEM (Customers) better but they refuse to listen or even shadow us for a few hours to see. If a customer makes a complaint, they shove their fingers in their ears and just throw arbitrary survey results in our face. I'm not talking anything big, just things like stop indexing 10 year old docs (we don't sell or support anything that old) but then they complain they won't be able to brag about our article count and poo poo like that.

So now when I'm working with a customer and they complain about the portal, I have them send me an email telling me what they have an issue with. I save all those up and send them every quarter to the manager of that department.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Just found out that the client who hired me to build a platform also hired someone else.

Both project managers are talking to eachother about this but will continue building the exact same thing for the exact same people. Both have escalated to the first common manager in the hierarchy but no decision has been made in the past few weeks.

Mine’s already up and running. Other project expects to have a working prototype up and running in 3 months.

Can’t make this poo poo up.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

LochNessMonster posted:

Just found out that the client who hired me to build a platform also hired someone else.

Both project managers are talking to eachother about this but will continue building the exact same thing for the exact same people. Both have escalated to the first common manager in the hierarchy but no decision has been made in the past few weeks.

Mine’s already up and running. Other project expects to have a working prototype up and running in 3 months.

Wait, they hired two different companies to build exactly the same platform, or two different platforms that perform similar functions?

Like, is the other one maybe a backup? Or were they planning on just picking whichever one they liked more and going with that one, while paying both of you? Seems bad with money, but good with outcomes, I guess?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanatosian posted:

Wait, they hired two different companies to build exactly the same platform, or two different platforms that perform similar functions?

Like, is the other one maybe a backup? Or were they planning on just picking whichever one they liked more and going with that one, while paying both of you? Seems bad with money, but good with outcomes, I guess?

They hired 2 different consultants to build the exact same thing seperate from eachother. Both of us were hired by different parts of the organisation though. There seems to be no intention of dropping either of the platforms as far as I can tell. Both project managers are claiming they are building it for the teams. Not sure which platform the teams are going to use.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Actually the plan is to stiff both companies and then leverage synergy between the two partially complete prototypes to dynamically engineer bricks-and-clicks results.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

J posted:

Actually the plan is to stiff both companies and then leverage synergy between the two partially complete prototypes to dynamically engineer bricks-and-clicks results.

We are both hired through the same company and the client is paying hourly, not fixed price.

Really not sure what the plan is, besides throwing boat money at consultants.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hard to complain about it if you're the one money is being thrown at, and you don't have to deal with it once it's done I guess, but yeah, dang weird.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LochNessMonster posted:

Do both of the platforms have a Y prefix and the one that wins gets to porkbarrel until completion?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Agrikk posted:

Sometimes this place.

"But I don't need a-"
"SCREWDRIVER!"

In my experience, so many people responsible for project management think that the tool IS the project management.
The rest just don't want to do any actual work and expect you to do their job for them, so they make you use the tool instead.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In my experience, so many people responsible for project management think that the tool IS the project management.
The rest just don't want to do any actual work and expect you to do their job for them, so they make you use the tool instead.

I mean, a tool is important and keeping track of your projects in loving Notepad++ is not going to scale. Would you rather this project manager call you up every day and ask the status of each thing you are supposed to be working on?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agrikk posted:

I've been here for six years and I've been using notepad++ for my project management needs.

Same but sublime text lol

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean, a tool is important and keeping track of your projects in loving Notepad++ is not going to scale. Would you rather this project manager call you up every day and ask the status of each thing you are supposed to be working on?

I mean I already do that in stand up meetings anyway.
I'd rather not have to do it again an hour later in strategic meeting. Then document it in the ticket, then document it in Jira, then put it in the wiki, then make sure I account for all that time in Asana, BEFORE entering it into the team project spreadsheet and then copying that entry out into an email cc-ing our boss for every single thing every single day.

I feel like if I've updated the PM in some way, shape or form then that should be the end of it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like your group/PM has a bigger problem than finding the right tools, yes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds like your group/PM has a bigger problem than finding the right tools, yes.

and the solution is to throw more tools at it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

and the solution is to throw more tools at it.

But enough about project managers.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

:perfect:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Not to South Park this, but there’s a reasonable middle ground between notepad++ and eight simultaneous tools.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Working with a good PM is fantastic, unfortunately most orgs just try to rub some PMP on some schmuck without the skillset to really knock it out.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PCjr sidecar posted:

Not to South Park this, but there’s a reasonable middle ground between notepad++ and eight simultaneous tools.

Notepad++ cannot fail, it can only be failed.

:commissar:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

a 16 gig one note.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Notepad++ cannot fail, it can only be failed.

:commissar:

Theres a plugin for it, yeah?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I currently work with the best PM I have ever had, by which I mean he answers emails and doesn't actively undermine the work I'm doing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
PMs are like HR reps. There may be great ones out there but I've yet to meet one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GreenNight posted:

:drat:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Working with a good PM is fantastic, unfortunately most orgs just try to rub some PMP on some schmuck without the skillset to really knock it out.
What most orgs don't get is that if you can't make small projects successful without a PM, adding a PM will not allow the team to successfully complete a project of moderate complexity through magic alone

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
In additional PM news, a different program that I am spearheading has just come to the attention of a PM lead. She has decided that she is going to help by assigning me a PM to “help move your project along.”

Now my program development has hit zero snags and it has hit every milestone that I laid out in my program development plan that I laid out during my bi-weekly 1:1 with my boss’ boss’ boss and she is completely on board. but PM lead also backed by my boss’ boss’ boss is doing a land grab.

So yesterday I get introduced to my new PM. He’s 26 and has been with the company for just over one month. I am looking forward to all of the help this kid is going to bring to the table.

Actually I think I’m being used to train up the PM lead’s minion for him.

On the bright side, being able to tell a PM to “shut up. Watch. listen. Learn.” is a great opportunity.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 3, 2020

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I finished a project evaluation today and went through it with my boss. I said do we send this to his boss as a courtesy, as he is on the panel that make the next decision, but my boss said "no he will only say change xyz"

I then emailed my boss and said "we can get on with project X, do you want me to do Y to get it off "on hold""

He said dont do Y, do Z and this was the moment I realised I am just going to do stuff instead of telling my boss as he only says change xyz :)

Probably shouldn't admit this here, I'm not a project manager, I'm an engineer but I'm taking on all the project work for my team as a development thing. I'm aiming to join the PM team post covid if I do my homework

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Dear Not Remotely Working thread,
I have a problem with users working remotely, not working.
Our remote access solution (we use guacamole to dump users onto a Server 2016 VM "remote access landing pad") does not allow users to change their own password. The Windows security menu is disabled. There is no option under the User Account icon on the start menu. If you go to Start>Settings>Accounts>Sign in options the button to change password is greyed out and it says "Use Ctrl+Alt+Del" to change password.

So I made a shortcut to the Windows Shell command for the Security Menu; explorer shell:::{2559a1f2-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0} which also now does not work.

How else can I achieve this? I really don't want to have to write a script and get it approved to deploy to the machine if I can avoid it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 21, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Just do what I did and apply for anything and everything that looks good regardless of your actual technical qualifications. Chances are the person who put out the job description didn't put in much effort beyond "wants the perfect candidate, to work for free, for all the hours" so don't put in too much effort into filtering yourself out.

Thinking of you random recruiter dude who sent me an advert for "IT Director" which required a degree in Architecture.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

lmao how do you go on vacation for a week and not tell anyone? No Slack status, no OOO email, nothing. Dude is on another team but we're working together on a high priority project that should have been 95% done by last Friday. He just peaced out and didn't even bother to tell me. Now that I have followed up with all the people he was supposedly working with, I learned he didn't actually do any of the work he was supposed to do either. I guess I'll have to wait to hear what he has to say before I'll know if this was a malicious attempt to get out of work or someone who is just incredibly inconsiderate/lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm at a 500 person company which all has Microsoft E3 licenses. We acquired a 200 person company which is an entirely G-suite shop.

Got together with the other admins and we're leaning toward ditching the Google email and making everything Microsoft... the only advantage we could see is Google's mail servers have great spam filtering while Microsoft's are miserably at letting scammers through, but other than that Microsoft was winning on a value / integration perspective.

Is there anything I'm missing that could make a case toward decoupling licenses (i.e. change the E3 licenses to Office + Sharepoint without email, and move all email to Google)? Has anyone here gone in that direction before? Any serious pitfalls?