Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

We’ve established in the past that you have bad IT opinions, so I’m not worried.

Change control is nothing but a blocker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

freeasinbeer posted:

You will never not convince me that change management is a tremendous waste of time and resources.

Same with CMDB.

Lol how on earth have you been able to post so very many terrible dumb wrong IT opinions itt

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

Change control is nothing but a blocker!

That's what I have in the V2MOM under obstacles: Change Controls, Other Employees, and Management.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Theres good change management and there's bad, i've only experienced the bad.

I am not loving typing out every loving command i'm going to run so you can sign off on me typing ls.

fortunately new place is decent enough, we're resilient enough that we can take down half our poo poo and not worry.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

as a counter point, Change Mangement could always be more hastle.

The results, however...

Who would be up for coding in such an environment? on one hand, utter insane bureaucracy, on the other hand, no self blame for errors and mistakes and a much cleaner product. Why or why not?

On the other hand, this seems like the sort of great working environment one lovely manager can derail forever

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

as a counter point, Change Mangement could always be more hastle.

The results, however...

Who would be up for coding in such an environment? on one hand, utter insane bureaucracy, on the other hand, no self blame for errors and mistakes and a much cleaner product. Why or why not?

On the other hand, this seems like the sort of great working environment one lovely manager can derail forever

My last job was in a similar field, with critical software like that, and it was fascinating watching how development worked in a place with zero room for bugs or errors. Really good learning opportunities.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Change management and everything else ITIL related is OK on paper, but IRL people touch it and that is the exact moment it turns to poo poo.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Philosophically I’d rather my team accept that errors and downtime will happen; and have skills and processes to overcome that, then fall into the insane bureaucracy and blame game that change management tends to encourage.

Yes if your building rockets or medical gear; that should be reviewed, but for ppl slinging code at a software company, you are most likely also practicing git peer review. That and robust rollback policies are way more effective then any change management board I’ve seen. In practice they are staffed primarily by process folks and not experts in any particular thing so nothing is really ever caught.

CMDBs are tedious wastes of time because they try and capture way too much useless data that is really usually useless for anything but management reporting, service catalogs that show relevant linkages close to your on call solution are great, and I love to see them as opposed to confluence “run books”.

CMDBs also can feed into change management sprawl and make interacting with that have a tremendous amount of toil.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am pretty comfortable with our change management process, although a lot of it is boilerplate and maybe the one-page template could be slimmed down. Ours basically just says what's happening, who's doing it, who approved it, and what happens if it all goes to poo poo. If you're gonna, say, upgrade firmware on a bunch of network gear, people who will be responding to relevant tickets need to know that a change happened. Having to write down what manager signed off means a manager did sign off, which means you don't have someone playing cowboy.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Change management is like a bare minimum attempt at getting some documentation and making a back out plan that most people probably don't have. It's useful if done right and followed. It shouldn't be some horrible ordeal though which it sounds like people make it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Last job we had a weekly meeting for change control where we’d basically just make sure every department could let relevant people know about major changes or potential outages. Never had explicit back out plans or anything outrageous bureaucratic stuff. Seemed like a useful way to spend 20 minutes a week. :shrug:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Change management is a baseline of a mature organization. It's not bureaucracy. At my org we deal with billions of dollars. You bet your rear end I want change management covering me if something goes wrong.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

George H.W. oval office posted:

Change management is like a bare minimum attempt at getting some documentation and making a back out plan that most people probably don't have. It's useful if done right and followed. It shouldn't be some horrible ordeal though which it sounds like people make it.

Our Global Security org doesn't do change management when they do things like disable services that Validate QC data integrity systems rely on. That lets us wave the possibility of declaring a Major Incident in their faces when we yell at them to turn that poo poo back on RFN.

e. There's one security-related change I can think of that could get the implementer into the Billion Dollar Club. And possibly also dumped into a vat somewhere.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 23, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

alg posted:

You bet your rear end I want change management covering me if something goes wrong.

This is the real reason I came around to change management being a good thing. Even if you know what you’re doing, there can still be unforeseen consequences that you weren’t aware of especially in a larger environment. Always play CYA in case poo poo goes south, if something breaks during a change I’m not on the hook unless it was an egregious oversight.

But lol cmdb. Our architect is all about keeping it updated, I’m pretty sure what is how he justifies his existence. I have literally never used it touched it my entire time here.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Change management used to be a pain in the butt because our bit of the business used a shadow IT ticketing system, so when we had to use the seemingly over engineered ticket system to raise CRs, they were painful

I've since moved to another part of the business where I use the over engineered ticketing system daily - and when you do that, you get used to pressing all the weird buttons, you don't get dinged and it's all fine.

But in terms of content we do it quite well, everything is pretty high level and as long as I say I have a sensible back out plan, it's all good.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I’m going through chaaaaanges

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Change management is good because it (should) force people to think about dependencies and how the system interacts with other services. If that isn't happening then you're asking the wrong questions and/or have the wrong people reviewing the changes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's also important to note that any change management process that works well has the concept of a standard change that's been vetted and streamlined for routine functions. So, you shouldn't be bogged down in a ton of change paperwork do to something routine and anything that falls outside that standard change is complex enough to warrant a discussion anyways. Everything still gets logged though which is good.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

allow ip any any has worked for us before and will continue to work in the future!

I've run across that poo poo shoved into places so many times before at so many jobs. It's the easiest way to shoehorn something into a working state and so many people will just leave it that way after because "well it works now"

Making it work properly is more complicated and well :effort:

Exciting update to this: the boss (this is the head of IT btw) gave his admin account password - that's domain and enterprise admin, literally full access - to a third party that manages some of our servers and they were the ones who made that policy. I don't know if they've used PA firewalls before but they certainly haven't touched mine. To give unfettered internet access to a loving devbox like it was some emergency. They also used that access to create another domain admin account of their own.

He's totally okay with this, after being called out on it by the security engineer who caught it, just brushes it off like it was no big deal. In fact, he wants to give this third party total control of our external firewall. Just manager things.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
If I worked for a vendor like that I don’t think I’d even be comfortable logging into somebody’s personal account even if that’s all they supplied. What the hell

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Exciting update to this: the boss (this is the head of IT btw) gave his admin account password - that's domain and enterprise admin, literally full access - to a third party that manages some of our servers and they were the ones who made that policy. I don't know if they've used PA firewalls before but they certainly haven't touched mine. To give unfettered internet access to a loving devbox like it was some emergency. They also used that access to create another domain admin account of their own.

He's totally okay with this, after being called out on it by the security engineer who caught it, just brushes it off like it was no big deal. In fact, he wants to give this third party total control of our external firewall. Just manager things.

glad to hear there is job security for security engineers

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vargatron posted:

Can somebody please define DevOps for me for like the millionth time? I still just don't understand what exactly it's supposed to be. And also, why is DevOps and Kubernetes things you always see in the insane big money jobs?

I think Matt Zerella answers this question best:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I feel seen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

devops is just exciting adventures in nesting programming languages and calling it a pipeline

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jeoh posted:

devops is just exciting adventures in nesting programming languages and calling it a pipeline

my most diverse pipeline has 4 different languages, I'm sure that's amateur hour for some people

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

You don't have to nest programming languages and doing so is definitely ops "code smell" to me. If you trust a language enough to use it for glue you should also be able to install it everywhere.

Python is a drop-in replacement for bash on pretty much every platform. Supervisord is a great abstraction layer over any random OS.

You can do the same with Ruby/rake/god and plenty of people do, especially in rails shops.

Choosing to not standardize your execution environments is just laziness IMO. There's no inherent value in having bash batch powershell perl python glue code which bootstraps your ruby install so you can knife bootstrap something.

e: Sorry, to be clear, having this be an intentional choice is laziness -- "best tool for the job" doesn't apply here. Having this be the result of years of not having enough time to focus enough to fix it is not a flaw in anyone involved.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 23, 2020

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Calling users about their purchase orders is the best. Everyone likes talking about the new poo poo they're gonna get and nobody gets mad at me :unsmith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Lmao

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm using this in my next interview. I like how "what does devops mean to you" is now a question people actually ask because the term has mutated beyond all recognition.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
BTW, that's not mine, its from here:

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsOps/status/1306355545268314112

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

well, that was a fun way to burn the last 30 minutes before my vacation

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Tetramin posted:

Never had explicit back out plans or anything outrageous bureaucratic stuff.

Ok I get that a lot of people put in a ton of bureaucratic BS in change management but how is not having a back out plan for changes considered a good thing?? That is on my list of minimum poo poo change management should require.

alg posted:

You bet your rear end I want change management covering me if something goes wrong.

So much this!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Love seeing these from a medical faclity.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You can totally plan and build good things with redundancy and have things like backout plans; without change management.

The other aspect that infuriates me with change management is that it causes a bunch of cultural issues; like reenforcing blame culture, putting an extreme pressure on getting it absolutely right in planning and then penalizing adjusting on the fly. While it’s not the root of all of my current gigs issues the cultural issues that preceded its formation and are exacerbated by its existence is that it basically paralyzed a ton of my junior guys and handicapped most of their willingness to troubleshoot. Which means I get called in more often then I should be, on both making the changes leadership wants, and saving projects that get gummed up by those cultural issues.

There are 100% times where if a change goes sideways in any way you should back it out ASAP. But you should also strive to design your changes and systems to have some level of redundancy so that even if something unexpected happens you have to ability to roll forward to accomplish the task.

My perspective is that any change management I’ve ever seen does not encourage the things we say it does; or might be better acomplished by peer review with git for example.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A new department has been created in HR - all the staff are external new people.
I am now getting lots of emails along the lines of we cant deliver on time it's ITs fault.
Responses are now going back "when you make X request, you get Y by timescale Z, here is policy A that says why, we cant breach policy A"
My boss then chipped in with, yep XYZ is about right.
So HR now come back with, well I need more X soon, so I've given you notice on timescale Z so you better do it!
Ok, but see policy A, it says timescale Y can't start until vetting happens, so you need to factor that into your planning and not over promise then blame IT, we did highlight this bit when we told you about policy A earlier...

I don't usually get into these silly battles with people but if I don't act like I'm this persons personal IT engineer and respond within about 30 minutes everything is getting escalated to my manager and now his manager is involved too. We are on teams lol'ing at this crazy person but it's all very peculiar.

I'm paraphrasing because one of the issues is they don't know what they want, so we can provide a basic version of X, but if they don't tell us that they want an X X or X, we can't make decisions for them and when they tell us they are competent enough to make such decisions, I assume I don't need to be super forthcoming with support. So weird.

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 24, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/09/govt-services-firm-tyler-technologies-hit-in-apparent-ransomware-attack/
:stare:
This is a pretty big deal. Minus is ERP software from Tyler that is run by a LOT of municipalities.
I know for a fact that they use the same credentials across lots and lots of clients. They even opened a ticket with us to have us change their SA account password back to the old password and set not to expire because 'it's what they use for all their client access.'

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They even opened a ticket with us to have us change their SA account password back to the old password and set not to expire because 'it's what they use for all their client access.'

I can’t find a yikes big enough

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Windows Admin Center is coming to Azure Portal. Pretty excited about that.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-admin-center-blog/announcing-windows-admin-center-in-the-azure-portal/ba-p/1696729

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of times I dismissed that popup because I wasn't bothered about running my own server just to admin a few boxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I shoehorned it onto something to play around with. It has definitely gotten a lot better over the past 6 months or so. I had been hoping they integrated it into the portal. Pretty happy about that.