Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

Jfc 3/5 of my department has covid including me

Shiiiit. Stay safe and quarantined :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

webex teams, lmao

that was the biggest pile of garbage we've ever trialed

but of course we went for it (because half of my previous employer's it department was ex-cisco)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does anyone use Cisco Jabber for instant messaging in their workplace? It's been down for literal days in my workplace and it does this every so often. Is it just an inherently bad product?

Jabber is absolute garbage. Outdated, lacking featuers and as stable as that pentium 1 under the desk of your teamlead, that's still running that business critical MS Access database for accounting.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

If they list negatives that aren't actually negatives, it's the corporate version of "My biggest fault is that I'm a perfectionist"?

Good point. Looks like most of the reviews are for their travelling consultant positions so there's a lot of mentions of long hours and lots of travel, but that wouldn't be what I'm doing, I'd be doing software support again so the schedule should be more stable.

The job would get me back up to what I was making before my life fell apart in 2018, give me exposure to DevOps stuff through shadowing/working with the DevOps team, fully remote, seems like decent but not great benefits, I'm glad I didn't dismiss it off-hand. I'm working up a list of questions as far as what the schedule is, how common OT is, that kind of thing.

The other job that I got submitted for yesterday was $100k a year while this one would be $65k a year, but tbh I'm not sure which I'd prefer at this point, the $100k one isn't permanently remote and the Glassdoor reviews mention lots of long hours and some pretty toxic-sounding company culture. Like, not more toxic than average from my experience but I'm trying to get out from the average levels of toxicity. Also it's in an industry I'm not a fan of. The lower-paying job is as bland as can be as far as industry, but if I get an interview for the higher paying one I'm going to be asking some very specific questions about the company to make sure it's somewhere that I could work for and still sleep at night.

Unrelated, get well soon Bob.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Get well soon!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bob Morales posted:

Did they make you all work from the office during the pandemic?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Gort posted:

If I remember well I think he posted that his boss made him and his coworkers come back to the office...

Sounds like a law suit waiting to happen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Risk of death notwithstanding I am absolutely terrified of catching covid because of the reports of permanent physiological and especially neurological damage. Hope you all recover quickly and fully.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gort posted:

Yea we all work in the same room.

I had a bad sinus headache on Thursday and Friday of last week, so I stayed home. I guess my manager had the same. This week I just have a little stuffy nose, but I can’t go back to work until next Friday anyway.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bob Morales posted:

Yea we all work in the same room.

I had a bad sinus headache on Thursday and Friday of last week, so I stayed home. I guess my manager had the same. This week I just have a little stuffy nose, but I can’t go back to work until next Friday anyway.

gently caress dude. Get well soon!

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good luck with recovering from Covid. I'm avoiding going out since the situation here is getting really bad, luckily I can get almost anything online.

Also, someone not too long ago posted a really good list of questions to ask during interviews. Does anyone have that handy? It's in one of the IT/STPYO/Tickets threads but I don't have search and I can't find it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Good luck with recovering from Covid. I'm avoiding going out since the situation here is getting really bad, luckily I can get almost anything online.

Also, someone not too long ago posted a really good list of questions to ask during interviews. Does anyone have that handy? It's in one of the IT/STPYO/Tickets threads but I don't have search and I can't find it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3653857&perpage=40&pagenumber=1742#post508261887

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EDITED.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 2, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We really have zero issues with Jabber or Teams for that matter.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I have a critically important question:

What custom slack emojis should I steal from SA and install at work before I lose my slack admin forever?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Iron Rose posted:

What custom slack emojis should I steal from SA and install at work before I lose my slack admin forever?

...All of them?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The Iron Rose posted:

https://gist.github.com/raphaelcastaneda/1be9fc2db6b902f6ce33 + http://sae.tweek.us/

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Awesome, thanks.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Very late here but I have worked at two places that used Service Now and both had dedicated staff for it. It was awesome and I miss it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I like Webex teams. I haven’t used slack or Microsoft teams, all my other places used linc or jabber and this is way better lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Buff Hardback posted:

Should I ask for a different laptop from work (currently got some Dell stuff) since my new boss said "if you want a different laptop let me know"?

I'm leaning Thinkpad, but I'm not sure if I should go with T480s or X1 Carbon.

The T480s is now two generations old. New model is the T14. And the X1 8th gen just came out as well. We just finished testing to make sure they played well with our imaging system, etc.

Buff Hardback posted:

That's kinda my big concern with the X1 losing a native Ethernet port. I've heard the keyboard on the T480s is not great though.

eta: the T480s is also cheaper which i figure is an easier sell

etata: well looks like cdw only has a T480s with spinning rust at the moment, I can't abide by that

CDW is still selling 2-year-old machines?
Also, the T490s and presumably the new T14 don't have ethernet ports, either, though both them and the X1 come with a dedicated (i.e.: not USB-C) adapter.
FWIW, the Dell 7400 and new 7410 also don't have Ethernet ports, and Dell *doesn't* include an adapter.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have a 7390 convertible and I haven’t missed the Ethernet port. Then again, I have docks at both of my desks upstairs and downstairs that are hard wired in.

I have one of the portable docks in my backpack just in case and I’ve used it all of once since I got the laptop.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I have a 7390 convertible and I haven’t missed the Ethernet port. Then again, I have docks at both of my desks upstairs and downstairs that are hard wired in.

I have one of the portable docks in my backpack just in case and I’ve used it all of once since I got the laptop.

I have the same machine, and :same:
Only time I miss the Ethernet port is when I'm imaging machines. I just have docks and USB-C adapters that our imaging system has drivers for, so usually no issue.
That said, I *really* hate the Dell docks.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Having serviced both 7490 and 7400, i don't miss the weekly "Help the ethernet cable is stuck" calls from 7490 users thanks to the micron tolerances that made any shielded or slightly thicker cable locked

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
ask me about java crypto libraries not being able to parse certificates with newlines suffixes

golang handles them fines

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We now have standing meeting invites from the CIO:

- No meetings from 12-1 est, daily
- No meetings from 1-5, every Thursday

People are getting worn out, including me, so it’s nice that they’re trying *something* to help people focus.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Darchangel posted:

The T480s is now two generations old. New model is the T14. And the X1 8th gen just came out as well. We just finished testing to make sure they played well with our imaging system, etc.

CDW is still selling 2-year-old machines?
Also, the T490s and presumably the new T14 don't have ethernet ports, either, though both them and the X1 come with a dedicated (i.e.: not USB-C) adapter.
FWIW, the Dell 7400 and new 7410 also don't have Ethernet ports, and Dell *doesn't* include an adapter.

Looks like the SKUs CDW sells of the X1 gen 8 don't have the ethernet adapter included.

Thanks CDW.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

devmd01 posted:

We now have standing meeting invites from the CIO:

- No meetings from 12-1 est, daily
- No meetings from 1-5, every Thursday

People are getting worn out, including me, so it’s nice that they’re trying *something* to help people focus.

We just started a No Meeting Monday policy. We’ll see how it goes I guess.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I have the T470s and I wondered how much I'd really need the built-in Ethernet port since I mostly keep it docked, but then the first month I had it I ended up using it to configure a standalone Raspberry Pi somewhere and was glad to have it!

Also when you're in a meeting and the company wireless network goes out you can just plug in and be :smuggo:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You can also get a USB ethernet adapter for those few instances where you need it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

You can also get a USB ethernet adapter for those few instances where you need it.

Yea but then you gotta carry it around and people ask for them and they lose them....

We bought a bunch of the plugable brand ones and keep them in a bag in the office

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I wouldn't offer it up as a solution for end users. I meant more for us IT peoples. I just keep it with my USB-A to USB-C adapter, my USB COM port adapter, my USB CD/DVD drive, and my USB floppy drive. Okay, the USB floppy drive is very much retired.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Then how do you install Doom 98???

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A lot of USB network adapters are really poor quality though

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Having serviced both 7490 and 7400, i don't miss the weekly "Help the ethernet cable is stuck" calls from 7490 users thanks to the micron tolerances that made any shielded or slightly thicker cable locked

Oh, geeze, yeah those things are tighter than a hummingbird's twat. I've had a couple I thought I was going to be ripping the guts out of the machine.

Buff Hardback posted:

Looks like the SKUs CDW sells of the X1 gen 8 don't have the ethernet adapter included.

Thanks CDW.

Oh, neat. I haven't gotten one yet.
I got spares I can use. Hope the users don't need it.

Boba Pearl posted:

Then how do you install Doom 98???

ISOs from the Internet.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

A lot of USB network adapters are really poor quality though

CableMatters only cost $15, why buy anything else?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there a goon CTF group/thread?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

4/5 now

None of us can go back until the 30th

We have 'covid pto' available this week. However, I had to use regular PTO for last Thursday/Friday (when I was actually sick and stayed home) because I hadn't tested positive yet (we only test on Mondays, and I tested negative last week).

Right now we are forced to take a day of PTO every pay period so those will just be for that anyway.

The only IT staff in the hospital is our field service guy and he's actually on vacation today and Monday. I appear to be the only one online according to skype.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you're on "Covid PTO" why are you online for work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

If you're on "Covid PTO" why are you online for work?

I'm not sick. If we are sick we can use it.