Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:yotj:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Congratulations! :yotj:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

quote:

Microsoft Productivity Score, a new analytics solution that helps you understand how work gets done in your organization, is transitioning from preview to general availability.

Who's ready for another round of Goodhart's Law

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 21, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome! Congrats man. That's huge.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

This is the best page snipe I've seen in a while, congrats! :yotj:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

6 figgiessssss

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Congrats!

What will your day to day look like? What kind of company are you going to be working for?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

fuk u :bahgawd:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I think you are a tad underpaid but dude, congrats.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks everyone. Couldn’t have done it with all the good advice in this and other threads over the years.

Gabriel S. posted:

Congrats!

What will your day to day look like? What kind of company are you going to be working for?
I’ll be working on a team that develops and supports internal tooling and an automated deployment platform.

Sickening posted:

I think you are a tad underpaid but dude, congrats.

I agree, but it’s still a 30% increase from where I am now and am getting rid of this drat “Systems Administrator” title.

Also, inspired by you, going to not quit my current job until the end of the year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Thanks everyone. Couldn’t have done it with all the good advice in this and other threads over the years.

I’ll be working on a team that develops and supports internal tooling and an automated deployment platform.

I agree, but it’s still a 30% increase from where I am now and am getting rid of this drat “Systems Administrator” title.

Also, inspired by you, going to not quit my current job until the end of the year.

I love it my dude and I hope you do great things.

Once you get about 6 months under your belt, I want you to hype of your previous job duties on your resume and make it look like you have been a cloud guy for years.

Be able to standup a CI/CD pipeline and use terraform at a reasonable level and you will be making 130-150k by the end of next year. Hopefully then with 3 jobs , totally working from home.

When you retire early with a paid off house you can think about how sickening was a wise saint despite my long shitposting history.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

That does what? :smith:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gabriel S. posted:

That does what? :smith:

I don’t know either, I haven’t started yet!

As described in the interview, I’ll be working with a bunch of terraform stuff to make it so devs can 1-click deploy their garbage code.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Fool posted:

As described in the interview, I’ll be working with a bunch of terraform stuff to make it so devs can 1-click deploy their garbage code.

P1 outages are now automated thanks to this guy!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Be able to standup a CI/CD pipeline and use terraform at a reasonable level and you will be making 130-150k by the end of next year. Hopefully then with 3 jobs , totally working from home.

I’ve been doing some of this at my current job, but this will let me work at scale on a team >1

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Fool posted:

Ah hah,

If I recall correctly, isn't this the same as your last gig? Azure + ARM Templates + Terraform

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gabriel S. posted:

Ah hah,

If I recall correctly, isn't this the same as your last gig? Azure + ARM Templates + Terraform

The more I try to work with them, the more I hate even attempting to use arm templates.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Awesome work dude

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gabriel S. posted:

Ah hah,

I am a jack of all trades right now. I’ve done a couple projects with terraform, arm and ansible, and I do a bunch of other stuff with Azure. Definitely played that experience up for this job.

Sickening posted:

The more I try to work with them, the more I hate even attempting to use arm templates.

In the interview, when talking about a terraform project I did they asked me why I picked terraform. I made a joke about arm templates making my eyes bleed that got a good round of chuckles.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Sickening posted:

I had this experience for about 5 minutes and wrote an ansible thing to let me keep them in yaml, and then they were totally fine. Azure in general is garbage, and to some degree ARM is a reflection of that garbage, but I prefer it to the alernatives.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Is DPM such a dogshit pile of assholery that MS doesn't even give you the option of Publishing DPM Backup Alerts & Events to Windows Event log via a script?

Do I literally need to have someone go into the DPM Console and click the 'Publish Events' and 'Publish Alerts' button?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/QuinnyPig/status/1321214428105244672

GodDAMN

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congrats, Fool :)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Are you in Alaska or just working for an Alaskan company?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m in Alaska, the new position is fully remote and the new company is based in Kansas City.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Fool posted:

I’m in Alaska, the new position is fully remote and the new company is based in Kansas City.

Ah nice. Working your hours or cst hours?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Umm, I actually have a moonlighting interview setup for a company on Kansas City.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Ah nice. Working your hours or cst hours?

CST hours, which is fine with me because I already wake up early and I have more time to do stuff with the family.

Sickening posted:

Umm, I actually have a moonlighting interview setup for a company on Kansas City.

That’s pretty funny.

Going through a recruiter? Anyone in the process named Zach, Mark, or Chris?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

CST hours, which is fine with me because I already wake up early and I have more time to do stuff with the family.

That’s pretty funny.

Going through a recruiter? Anyone in the process named Zach, Mark, or Chris?

Its a recruiter through randstad.

Job Description:
Job Summary:

The Cloud Engineer is responsible for the governance and management of cloud environments and works independently and in cross-functional teams to provide cloud services to support business initiatives. The Cloud Engineer is knowledgeable in multiple technical disciplines such as identity, networking, firewalls and databases management and uses Sr. Systems Administrator skills to provision, manage, monitor, and decommission cloud services and policies.

Recognized within the organization as a functional expert with specialized depth and/or breadth of knowledge. Works independently, with guidance only in the most complex situations. Solves complex problems; identifies new solutions using a broad perspective and understanding.

Job Duties:

Documents and adheres to and enforces the company's Cloud Governance, security policies, initiatives, and compliance reporting. Collaborates with management to suggest and implement strategic direction for cloud governance.
.Provides on-going support and management for services rendered within Microsoft Azure, Office 365, and Google Cloud portals.
Examines ways to continuously improve the quality of processes and design to provide optimum availability, integrity, and performance of the company's assets.
Creates and maintains resource consumption reporting for the financial show back and reserved resource optimization.
Supports off-premises/cloud initiatives and migrations.
Maintains and supports operational support systems running within the company Cloud tenants hosted in Azure and Google Cloud platforms.
Develops and maintains automation designed to reduce cost, enable resource transparency, or otherwise enforce the company's Cloud process and procedures.
Prioritizes and executes tasks with high-pressure demands, within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Basic Qualifications:

Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college in computer science, engineering, or related degree and Minimum Seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in at least Eight (8) Cloud Engineering disciplines, including source code management, continuous integration platforms, cloud security, cloud governance, cost control, Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, VMWare, firewalls, Active Directory, system administration, troubleshooting, and configuration.
Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred Requirements:

Experience in modern source code management and continuous integration platform like Git, Team Foundation Server, Visual Studio Team Services, Jenkins, etc.
Ability and experience driving and leading cloud requirement, troubleshooting, design, and implementation sessions and activities with the capability to select the appropriate cloud services based on compute, data, or security requirements
Ability to estimate usage costs and identify operational cost control mechanisms
Familiar with Azure, Google or similar cloud constructs and have willingness and desire (self-motivation) to comprehensively learn and evangelize cloud technologies. Minimum Seven (7) years of experience with various virtualization technologies (VMWare and Microsoft).
Minimum Seven (7) years working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including firewalls, Active Directory, etc.
Minimum Seven (7) years system administration (Windows or Linux) at the command-line level.
Minimum Seven (7) years hands-on software and hardware troubleshooting experience.
Minimum Seven (7) years of experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert MCSE Cloud
Three (3) years knowledge of broadcast transcoding and workflow automation systems.
Experience in modern source code management and continuous integration platform like Git, Team Foundation Server, Visual Studio Team Services, Jenkins, etc.
Familiarity with container creation and orchestration platforms; Docker, Kubernetes, Swarm, etc.
Ability and experience driving and leading cloud requirement, troubleshooting, design, and implementation sessions and activities.
Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pretty sure it’s not the same place.

Kind of annoyed that’s just a moonlighting gig to you though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

Pretty sure it’s not the same place.

Kind of annoyed that’s just a moonlighting gig to you though.

Any remote job is a moonlighting gig to me at this point. The only thing that would make the above job not moonlighting is if the workload was just enormous, which to be honest, usually never is at this level.

The last part of the job req gave me the impression that this was a consulting/msp business, but my recruiter assured me this was all in house. This job also has a date set to come back to the office in April of next year and guess who isn't moving to the midwest.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Have you looked at Bicep https://dev.to/omiossec/first-look-at-project-bicep-an-azure-resource-manager-templates-dsl-4jif

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

7 is some sort of lucky number to them

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've got a phone screen for an AD engineer position in like 10 minutes and I hope I don't f this up. I've worked for the same company (been acquired a few times I guess) for 17 years as of the 30th. Change is scary.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I've got a phone screen for an AD engineer position in like 10 minutes and I hope I don't f this up. I've worked for the same company (been acquired a few times I guess) for 17 years as of the 30th. Change is scary.

Good luck! You'll nail it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Good luck!

Waiting to see if I make it to round 3 of interviews for a IT Security Operations position myself. It'd be a huge pay raise so I'm hoping I hear back soon...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I forgot to ask, how'd you find this position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I go in to the office once or twice a week to focus and get stuff done. There are typically only a couple of other coworkers there, and we all follow social distancing rules and wear masks, etc.

We actually signed a lease on another building across the parking lot in March. Once it was ready, they had IT come in at designated time slots to pack their desk, then another one to unpack it in the new building. Since everyone works from home and will for the foreseeable future, I figured it would be good to have something I could tell people to look for if they were in the office and wanted to come talk mask to mask. Now proudly hanging over my cubicle: