Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

It is exhausting having to read your worthless posts.

it hurts my feelings when you say things like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Clam down can claim to be a security expert but I’ve had ssh keys to his back door

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Btw. The new MacBook m1 is loving legit

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

Pay for enterprise and take control of any accounts made with your domain

Can't afford enterprise, we're a startup. We've been a startup for like 8 years now. We know what we're doing and doing it well but we just can't hit critical mass; we've been the same size and scope forever. We're like the Electric Six of tech.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

jaegerx posted:

Btw. The new MacBook m1 is loving legit

How are you dealing with not running docker on it, just use a VM?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Can't afford enterprise, we're a startup. We've been a startup for like 8 years now. We know what we're doing and doing it well but we just can't hit critical mass; we've been the same size and scope forever. We're like the Electric Six of tech.

You're not a startup, you're a small business.

e: although it is bullshit that that feature and SSO is gated behind the enterprise plan

e2: obligitory: https://sso.tax

re: AD domains and DMZ's

All of our DMZ servers are off the domain and we have 3 domains.

One is my main production domain, one is my test/lab domain, and the third is maintained by our government contracting group. They maintain a totally separate network infrastructure and it is a giant pain in the rear end.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 24, 2020

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

LochNessMonster posted:

How are you dealing with not running docker on it, just use a VM?

same as it ever was

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Generating thousands of invoices/documents but too cheap to spend the money to actually solve the problem: the VGS story.

Why don’t you go to fiverr and pay somebody to do it 10 at a time? It’s a terrible idea but you love those.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

Generating thousands of invoices/documents but too cheap to spend the money to actually solve the problem: the VGS story.

Why don’t you go to fiverr and pay somebody to do it 10 at a time? It’s a terrible idea but you love those.

Lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PCjr sidecar posted:

Thanks for the advice, Docusign Defender

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sorry team, laptop refresh is now a core 2 solo with reactos because big docusign is at it again!!!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
PCjr sidecar stop he's already dead!!!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

PCjr sidecar posted:

Sorry team, laptop refresh is now a core 2 solo with reactos because big docusign is at it again!!!

That's not even the cheapest thing I've done!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Zero VGS posted:

That's not even the cheapest thing I've done!

is your sidegig of refurbing hardware still profitable.

I liked that story

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

is your sidegig of refurbing hardware still profitable.

I liked that story

It is, here I'll give you another one for free.

I had to add a new branch to a Fortune 500 hospital, so I went on Alibaba and bought 300 thin clients for $20 each. Similar to this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32854008123.html They ran Windows CE just long enough to boot up into Remote Desktop and auto login to a Windows 2003 server. I stacked Black Friday coupons on NewEgg to buy all the CALs. I laminated all the CALs to a binder and chained it next to the AC in the server room, so that anyone who came to audit us would have to freeze to death to review them (last part was boss's idea, nice touch).

That worked perfectly for 5 years and even the end users remarked how much faster it was than the Dells at the main building. CFO was worried about 600k for a hardware refresh and I got it done in 6k

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zero VGS posted:

I had to add a new branch to a Fortune 500 hospital, so I went on Alibaba and bought 300 thin clients for $20 each. Similar to this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32854008123.html They ran Windows CE just long enough to boot up into Remote Desktop and auto login to a Windows 2003 server. I stacked Black Friday coupons on NewEgg to buy all the CALs. I laminated all the CALs to a binder and chained it next to the AC in the server room, so that anyone who came to audit us would have to freeze to death to review them (last part was boss's idea, nice touch).

That worked perfectly for 5 years and even the end users remarked how much faster it was than the Dells at the main building. CFO was worried about 600k for a hardware refresh and I got it done in 6k

Please tell me you told him it would be 100k and you pocketed the rest.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

Please tell me you told him it would be 600k and you pocketed the 594k

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Zero VGS posted:

Can N people be RDP'd into windows server at once without conflict? Was it one big server 2003 for everybody?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Methanar posted:

Can N people be RDP'd into windows server at once without conflict? Was it one big server 2003 for everybody?

If you install the Remote Services role, yes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

Can N people be RDP'd into windows server at once without conflict?

If licensed properly and the terminal services/remote desktop server role is installed.

quote:

Was it one big server 2003 for everybody?

god I hope so

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The "Microsoft Way" is to get confused about RDP and licensing and then put a registry hack into your Server 2012 (not R2!) Essentials machine that ignores the two concurrent RDP limit

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You bet it was just one giant server. Good old Proliant. Mercifully all the nurses only had to run one single medical records program which was just text so it ran like a dream.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Zero VGS posted:

You bet it was just one giant server. Good old Proliant. Mercifully all the nurses only had to run one single medical records program which was just text so it ran like a dream.

this owns lmao

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Not sure if this is the right thread. Does anyone have experience moving from an on-site server running AD to doing everything in Azure Active Directory? Is this feasible for most small businesses?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

There's really only one question. Does that business have any real dependencies on on-premises Active Directory? If the answer is no, it's easy to get off of on-prem AD. If the answer is yes, then you can AD Sync your stuff and use Azure AD for everything except that which depends on AD. There are a lot of things you need to understand about the licensing and the model for stuff like endpoint management is different enough. Especially going from any kind of GPOs to InTune.

Generally speaking SMBs will have a higher chance of being able to migrate to an all Azure environment because they don't have a bunch of terrible decisions tied up in what they're using AD for. But I also had a conversation with a company that gave everyone a Windows XP device and a Windows 10 device because they insisted on continuing to run their LOB application off of Server 2000 (this was 2-3 years ago lmao) so that is not a hard and fast rule.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i am a moron posted:

There's really only one question. Does that business have any real dependencies on on-premises Active Directory? If the answer is no, it's easy to get off of on-prem AD. If the answer is yes, then you can AD Sync your stuff and use Azure AD for everything except that which depends on AD. There are a lot of things you need to understand about the licensing and the model for stuff like endpoint management is different enough. Especially going from any kind of GPOs to InTune.

Generally speaking SMBs will have a higher chance of being able to migrate to an all Azure environment because they don't have a bunch of terrible decisions tied up in what they're using AD for. But I also had a conversation with a company that gave everyone a Windows XP device and a Windows 10 device because they insisted on continuing to run their LOB application off of Server 2000 (this was 2-3 years ago lmao) so that is not a hard and fast rule.

Most of my clients are just using the server for data storage, user management with AD, and MAYBE printer management. They also tend to host Quickbooks on a local server. From what I've seen, QB online doesn't cut it though. I'm getting the feeling we should just stick with a local server for now.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Data storage you can do on SharePoint Online, user management you can do in O365 admin portal, printing would likely be your biggest problem, you might need to figure out some cloud print solution.

Honestly, go Hybrid while you migrate everything off on-prem, and there's nothing stopping you from adding new laptops directly to Azure AD instead of through a sync, although if you go down that route you'll also need to figure out how to mimic any GPOs, registry hacks, and anything else you've been doing via Group Policy. Plus iirc you'll want to pay for Azure AD Premium or you won't get anywhere near as much control as you'd like. It is really handy though having the users able to authenticate against the directory on any internet connection, without a VPN.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

klosterdev posted:

Data storage you can do on SharePoint Online, user management you can do in O365 admin portal, printing would likely be your biggest problem, you might need to figure out some cloud print solution.

Honestly, go Hybrid while you migrate everything off on-prem, and there's nothing stopping you from adding new laptops directly to Azure AD instead of through a sync, although if you go down that route you'll also need to figure out how to mimic any GPOs, registry hacks, and anything else you've been doing via Group Policy. Plus iirc you'll want to pay for Azure AD Premium or you won't get anywhere near as much control as you'd like. It is really handy though having the users able to authenticate against the directory on any internet connection, without a VPN.

Is it easy enough to have Azure sync up with our current Domain Controller then? If so, this sounds pretty appealing.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Yeah, I've never actually set it up myself, but look up Azure AD Connect, I remember reading about the process a while back and seems relatively straightforward

Edit: This probs a good place to start https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mi...ant%20of%20your

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 24, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

Is it easy enough to have Azure sync up with our current Domain Controller then? If so, this sounds pretty appealing.

yeah

do this:

klosterdev posted:

Yeah, I've never actually set it up myself, but look up Azure AD Connect, I remember reading about the process a while back and seems relatively straightforward

with password-hash-sync

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just know that this isn't the same as running Azure AD only. Azure AD hybrid is a very different beast and if you are managing devices that you also want on a domain, you will need to use Azure AD Hybrid Join. You're adding a lot of complexity.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Just know that this isn't the same as running Azure AD only. Azure AD hybrid is a very different beast and if you are managing devices that you also want on a domain, you will need to use Azure AD Hybrid Join. You're adding a lot of complexity.

This is also true, and why we're still having our users authenticate against on-prem AD for the time being despite the advantages and increased necessity in remote work. Once I'm done rebuilding our permissions though I want to take a look at the feasibility of moving to pure Azure AD

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'll look onto this Hybrid deal. I jist want to simplify having people remote all the time. Having to do anything domain related over a VPN is a pain right now.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Hybrid doesn’t help with that. You want to go full Azure AD otherwise you’re up against the same limitations and requirements as you are with on prem AD because you still 100% need on prem AD in that scenario.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Moving our users to SharePoint Online has basically eliminated the need for our non-IT to need VPN even with on-prem AD. If you can cloud whatever you using Quickbooks for, and are willing to accept the risk of a GPO delaying updates by X days then pulling from MS, you should be golden. Our print management is done on-prem, but that's okay too because users have to go to the offices anyway to get to the printers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone use Azure Microsoft Backup Server (MABS?) and if so, why do you hate yourself this much?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

So you’re using cached AD creds and letting the machine passwords get jacked up and the computers falling off the domains?

Does anyone use Azure Microsoft Backup Server (MABS?) and if so, why do you hate yourself this much?

What’s so weird is just using a recovery vault and installing an agent works 1000x better than whatever the gently caress MS was trying to do with this

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

i am a moron posted:

So you’re using cached AD creds and letting the machine passwords get jacked up and the computers falling off the domains?

If you don't keep track of your computers this is absolutely a problem you can encounter, yes. It's done a good job getting us through the pandemic when our infrastructure basically burned to the ground the week lockdown started, and for most practical purposes the laptop is really just a somewhat-easier method for the user to access resources available on office.com. Even though we can't say, lock users out of their computers immediately, being able to lock them out of where their all their data is is getting us by, but in the long run I want to move away from on-prem AD entirely to give us more immediate control over the physical systems themselves.

E: without relying on a VPN

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 24, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I dream about Microsoft buying Veeam. Just do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Not sure if this is the right thread. Does anyone have experience moving from an on-site server running AD to doing everything in Azure Active Directory? Is this feasible for most small businesses?

We have been Azure AD only since like the day it come out. Upgraded everyone in the company to Windows 10 the week they announced it with the free Win 7 Pro upgrade program then they got joined to it straight away.

The laptops were all previously on the default workgroup, no domain, so to implement group policy I set it all up on one PC, copied the Group Policy folder, and pushed it to all the other laptops with PDQ Deploy. Actually works perfectly fine... somehow it replicates more reliably than a DC ever did.

Azure AD also has something called Azure Active Directory Domain Services, which counter-intuitively would not allow public-facing DC services or LDAP for years and years. They actually expected you to make a site-to-site VPN which wouldn't have worked for us and all the work-from-home people (and no we're not paying for Win 10 Enterprise). But very recently they improved it to allow a public IP that can have domain services and Secure LDAP. Check it out here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/active-directory-ds/#overview

One other thing that Azure AD does correctly that if a user is joined to it before you enable Bitlocker, it saves their Bitlocker key in the online portal. Before that we had to keep an encrypted spreadsheet.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 25, 2020