Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

My favourite is people using the webcam/mic in their laptop and then rubbing it or scratching at the plastic frame of their laptop.

Also, was helping set up a bunch of new ESXi hosts, SANs, and all their iLOs today. Really didn't want to static IP all 40 devices so we just did DHCP, which wasn't an option ever before because we used a trash OES DHCP. Later someone mentions something to my boss, and he says they and someone else have to change it all to static IPs on Monday. He said if DHCP or DNS goes down we won't be able to get on them so we need a 'physical IP', (???) I think he believes if a DHCP server goes down then all the hosts just delete their IP address. His disaster recovery plan is memorising all these IPs... Because a situation where DNS and DHCP are unreachable would also mean our phpipam server is down. All the DHCP IPs will be documented still and I can just make it a Reservation if they so desperately want the IP to never change. You can't even add ESXi hosts to vCentre using an IP afaik, it has to be a hostname. We have two data centres, both DNS/DCs are in the same subnet on the same server infrastructure. The DHCP is spread across both in different subnets because I was at least able to do that without anyone interfering. All our like 150-200 VMs are statically IPed, but none of the non-Windows ones have PTR records because who ever keeps making A records for them unticks the box every time.

Am I the dumb one here? Is there something I'm missing? Does everyone just static IP all their servers/most other stuff still?

:lol: using Novell for DHCP.

You are not missing anything, your supervisor is an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

:lol: using Novell for DHCP.

You are not missing anything, your supervisor is an idiot.

it was so bad. it had some terrible java client for managing it, except it didnt actually change the DHCP settings. it changed some other file that it only reads when the service starts. Any time you changed anything - or deleted leases, which we had to do constantly because the pools would get full all the time, even with 1 hour adaptive leases - you had to restart the service... which wouldn't be a big deal except for whoever set them up in failover just enabled the failover button and didnt read any documentation. The databases would get out of sync and then one of the servers just wouldn't hand out any leases for like an hour because of whatever was configured. I only just managed to migrate us away from them in December.

Those servers are still running too. They were our file servers too and they're still using some eDirectory poo poo.

The leases for the iLOs are 3 days. I could jam it up to 10 days so any actual downtime doesn't become a problem.

Thanks Ants posted:

Static your routers, the DHCP servers themselves, and your DCs. Pretty much everything else can work off reservations.

almost everything has a static. All 400 printers, most of our APs, boiler systems, etc.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there a reason push to talk never took off?

People are really lazy. It was a thing like 15 years ago raiding in MMOs to make sure everyone used push to talk so they didn't blow out everyone's eardrums with a coughing fit or getting yelled at by their mom or whatever, but it hasn't caught on as well with Zoom and other videoconferencing. At least nowadays the software attempts to normalize volume levels now, even if it's not great at it. I like using RTX Voice with my GTX 1080 when I have to do meetings.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Statics for anything in a datacenter with a matching dhcp reservation. Netboot by default (which uefi makes a huge pain in the rear end). Best of all worlds. Means your dhcp service being down doesn't require an immediate reaction alarm. And if your server reboots it gets a chance to check in to see if it should be reimaged.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
I'm super confused, are folks just running massive broadcast domains and requiring the DHCP server have a presence in that segment? I though DHCP relay was a common pattern.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are we no longer recommending assigning static addresses to server including domain controllers because that sounds dangerous? I know once we had contractor plug a router in the wrong way, it took us over a day to find where it was on an entire campus and brought the whole network down.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 13, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Rexxed posted:

People are really lazy. It was a thing like 15 years ago raiding in MMOs to make sure everyone used push to talk so they didn't blow out everyone's eardrums with a coughing fit or getting yelled at by their mom or whatever, but it hasn't caught on as well with Zoom and other videoconferencing. At least nowadays the software attempts to normalize volume levels now, even if it's not great at it. I like using RTX Voice with my GTX 1080 when I have to do meetings.

I want there to be a study on this subject. You'd assume that societal issues with embarrassment over poo poo would force people into at least muting their mics when they're not talking. I don't mind if your kids are having a fist fight in the background, just shut your goddamn mic off when you're not actively talking and no one will notice.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

tortilla_chip posted:

I'm super confused, are folks just running massive broadcast domains and requiring the DHCP server have a presence in that segment? I though DHCP relay was a common pattern.

No, the DHCP are in our data centres on two server subnets. The devices were on the management subnet at each data centre. We have 60 other sites that relay to these two DHCP servers.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Someone needs to test teams if it notifies the person you mute who muted them.

Multiple times per month I have meetings where one coworker invariably forgets and is crinkling poo poo or ham-fistedly pounding their keyboard unmuted, or worse, dramatically sighing as they're told something/corrected about something.

I need to know I can mute them and have them not know...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there a reason push to talk never took off?

*nextel chirp*

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

Multiple times per month I have meetings where one coworker invariably forgets and is crinkling poo poo or ham-fistedly pounding their keyboard unmuted, or worse, dramatically sighing as they're told something/corrected about something.

I need to know I can mute them and have them not know...

That would be too good, but unfortunately meets and teams both throw notifications about who muted who.

I still do it anyway and no one has either been pissed at me or had the fortitude to call me out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Defenestrategy posted:

That would be too good, but unfortunately meets and teams both throw notifications about who muted who.

I still do it anyway and no one has either been pissed at me or had the fortitude to call me out.

I need to test Teams cause I haven't seen a notification of person A muting person B yet, been using it for 6 months now.

Maybe I'm the only rear end in a top hat going around muting people.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I need to test Teams cause I haven't seen a notification of person A muting person B yet, been using it for 6 months now.

Maybe I'm the only rear end in a top hat going around muting people.

I can't remember what teams does, but meets throws a notification in the chat box that "X muted Y"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Can’t you start meetings with everyone muted like zoom?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jaegerx posted:

Can’t you start meetings with everyone muted like zoom?

This should be the default especially on calls with like 10+ people

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DelphiAegis posted:

It doesn't notify them.

I ruthelessly mute people in meetings I am in, and tell people upfront I will be doing that. So far, I've muted my boss and my bosses boss without them commenting on it. My bosses bosses boss mutes themselves all the time, so I haven't done it to them yet. :)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are we no longer recommending assigning static addresses to server including domain controllers because that sounds dangerous? I know once we had contractor plug a router in the wrong way, it took us over a day to find where it was on an entire campus and brought the whole network down.

Your switches should be blocking DHCP packets except from your whitelisted DHCP servers' MACs.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

This should be the default especially on calls with like 10+ people

Teams does a thing now where it will automatically mute people that are joining if there are already 5 or more participants

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I just won an employee excellence award at my second job. The only “projects” for the month of Jan was turning on safelinks and safe attachments in office 365. I was assigned and closed 14 tickets.

The game is rigged folks.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sickening posted:

It always was. Welcome to the club.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sickening posted:

I just won an employee excellence award at my second job. The only “projects” for the month of Jan was turning on safelinks and safe attachments in office 365. I was assigned and closed 14 tickets.

Our employee awards are tied to votes in teams. Im this close to starting up a little group that just votes for each other all the time so we can sweep everything.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Is there some new security thing where you gotta display a legal banner before logging into an app the government of the USA has to follow?

Made sure to mention which government so the Canuck doesn’t freak out.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

jaegerx posted:

Is there some new security thing where you gotta display a legal banner before logging into an app the government of the USA has to follow?

Not sure about apps, but hardened windows for us military has one before the login screen for at least a few years.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Not sure about apps, but hardened windows for us military has one before the login screen for at least a few years.

It’s an internal webapp. I posted in infosec thread since I forgot it existed. Thanks

E: it’s stig. Gonna keep it to infosec thread.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

There is this weird legal precedent about making banner messages so someone can't "I didn't know I couldn't do that" when they comprimise a login or something. Its old as gently caress and probably doesn't apply anymore but ya. Its more boomer infosec poo poo.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's the legal equivalent to putting up a no trespassing sign. It's a very common request from auditors.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bob Morales posted:

Like you've found, most people don't really know how DHCP works, so they don't use it for things that might make life easier.

I requested a static I for a Manufacturing system once upon a time. A network tech got back to me an said "The static range is full in that subnet. I'll punch a hole in the dynamic range and set the address it has now as a static IP. And that was a completely static IP, it wasn't set as a static lease in DHCP. I swear, this network...

DelphiAegis posted:

Google Meet displays a notification. Be the hero your team deserves.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

NPR Journalizard posted:

Our employee awards are tied to votes in teams. Im this close to starting up a little group that just votes for each other all the time so we can sweep everything.

My company had a spiff program where you'd get points that you could redeem for merch or gift certificates. Like your manager would give you 150 points for dealing with a nasty Sev1 or peers could reward each other for "teamwork".

Only took six months before it turned into some kind of inter-company, black market currency. Consultants would call Support reps and say, "If you take care of this as a priority for me, I'll give you 350 points", and poo poo like that. Or you'd have people rewarding 100 points to co-workers like "Brad brought in doughnuts for the team! He makes working here so much better."

That lasted about a year and it was hut down.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bonzo posted:

My company had a spiff program where you'd get points that you could redeem for merch or gift certificates. Like your manager would give you 150 points for dealing with a nasty Sev1 or peers could reward each other for "teamwork".

Only took six months before it turned into some kind of inter-company, black market currency. Consultants would call Support reps and say, "If you take care of this as a priority for me, I'll give you 350 points", and poo poo like that. Or you'd have people rewarding 100 points to co-workers like "Brad brought in doughnuts for the team! He makes working here so much better."

I know that last sentence was a typo, but I'm just imagining a points black market run by Jabba the Hut now.

Edit: A company I worked for had a similar system, where you were given "coins" like actual physical coins by management. You could then trade them in for things like gift cards to amazon/etc. When I left, I was trading in all my coins for an Amazon gift card and when I tried to redeem the email, it said it had already been claimed. The HR person had emailed it to herself and redeemed it to her own personal account in "confusion" and I had to march down to HR on my last week to walk her through how to actually send me the loving money before I would sign off on having redeemed the coins.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 13, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Bonzo posted:

Only took six months before it turned into some kind of inter-company, black market currency. Consultants would call of Support reps and say, "If you take care of this as a priority for me, I'll give you 350 points", and poo poo like that. Or you'd have people rewarding 100 points to co-workers like "Brad brought in doughnuts for the team! He makes working here so much better."

Not gonna lie, that sounds loving amazing. I’ve only see those programs die slowly as no one bothered to engage with them because it isn’t worth any time investment. At least in your case it accomplished something, even if it was a corporate black market built on yeti mugs and ogio backpacks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We have a thing at our bimonthly "State of the Office meeting" one dude gets like a 50$ gift card to amazon based on employee votes, and you're not allowed to win twice

I am in a bloc that contains ~30% of the company and votes lockstep, and somehow we've not managed to get one win yet over ten of these meetings.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You need to find out how high the conspiracy goes. I’m guessing all the way to the CEOs office

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I got a call today from a recruiter for BIG EVIL CORP. I interviewed for a random vp level position of EVIL CORP (where everyone is a vp) in November and talks froze. He came out of the blue today and said everything is unfrozen as of friday. Supposedly I have a final interview on Tuesday with boss and team. It also seems that my background check and everything was already done (which is odd because I don't remember filling an auth out for that one) so this might be a formality. I haven't had a recruiter call me on a saturday in forever and I am also new to BIG EVIL CORP level of anonymity.

Is anyone else's Feburary linkedin inbox going loving nuts?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I had 3 recruiters call me in 3 days about contract positions, i immediately tell them that I have a 2 month notice period and the call ended straight after that, in all 3.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Bonzo posted:

We have this and people actually use it as intended to show appreciation for the most part. You get 750pts to dole out monthly and the clock resets on the 1st.

Not me though, I have a monthly points buddy that we just swap whatever’s left in our balance.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sickening posted:

I got a call today from a recruiter for BIG EVIL CORP. I interviewed for a random vp level position of EVIL CORP (where everyone is a vp) in November and talks froze. He came out of the blue today and said everything is unfrozen as of friday. Supposedly I have a final interview on Tuesday with boss and team. It also seems that my background check and everything was already done (which is odd because I don't remember filling an auth out for that one) so this might be a formality. I haven't had a recruiter call me on a saturday in forever and I am also new to BIG EVIL CORP level of anonymity.

I am getting a lot of inquiries as well. Not sure if I want to try and do the multiple jobs thing but I have been a little tempted.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

kensei posted:

I am getting a lot of inquiries as well. Not sure if I want to try and do the multiple jobs thing but I have been a little tempted.

Technically the two remote job system pays more than evil corp, but only by 20k. If my second job wasn't so brainless and I put more than 2 hours into it a week, I would probably be more concerned.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Sickening posted:

Yea but this is every February that I can remember for the last five years or so. End of last year slowed down and I bet there’s pent up demand now that budgets are in place

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’m not even “open for work” on LinkedIn and I’m getting a bunch of recruiter spam. Chalked it up to being three months into my new SRE role.

I’d be tempted to do the two job thing but I’m actually like, having to put in real effort these days and don’t need more of that.

My favourite are the recruiters hitting me up for team lead, senior SRE, and management roles. I’m 25 my dudes, let me get a biiiit more emotional maturity please and thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Take their money.