Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Have you ever had anyone show up with the long resume and the short resume and ask which one you want?

I've shown up to an interview where the recruiter had given them a long, highly doctored resume and I had my shorter, closer to the truth one. Does that count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

FISHMANPET posted:

This is interesting to me. On one hand, this specific technique is probably not valuable to future employees, and you could frame it as being about knowledge of the tools, and it wouldn't communicate much. But if you frame it more broadly, about how you saw a problem, understood available tools, and were able to use your knowledge of those tools to save all this time, you show how you can solve problems to save time, which is valuable in any context. I'll have to think about this, because it's a lot of what my experience is, and what I'd like to convey when I talk about what I do.

Yes, the specifics may not be valuable, but I can use one bullet-point to start a conversation where I can hit multiple points of value:
  • Strong technical knowledge
  • Fun digressions into weird, restricted networks (without releasing any compromising information, of course)
  • Clever use of limited tools
  • Easy demonstration of value to the business
  • I can communicate an engaging story

And the business office will love hard numbers. "Sure, Candidate X knows Grompun, PeroxIDE, and whatever Electric Crab is, but Candidate Y cut 15% from the last place's cloud budget! And they have experience with Petronium!"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I try to make my resume as digestible as possible by having the most recent jobs with a brief description, then old jobs just listed, then the oldest removed, then I go into things by topic. Cloud, InfoSec, IT Management, etc, and do a bulleted list under those with a sentence or two. Makes it easy to read, sorted by topic so people can focus where they're interested, and provides a quick list of jobs if that's all anyone cares about. I like it and I like reading resumes formatted that way.

I will say that I slapped together some updates to apply to a job in a rush recently and it's longer than I like at 3 pages. Need to filter it back down.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sickening posted:

Working in IT 3.0: I am somehow more jaded than before.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 11, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One technique that I am going to steal should I ever have an in-person interview again is from a guy that we hired about 3 months after me.

He took all of the job bullet points from the listing, wrote more supporting detail on why he met/exceeded/didn’t have experience, and packaged it up into some binders for everyone at the table. This actually headed off a lot of the technical, “what have you done?” bullshit especially since everyone can peruse the answers while sitting there, and lead to more substantive conversations around what working at our place is actually like not just technical bullshit.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i have had in person interviews where not a single person involved, including recruiting, has bothered to look at my portfolio or github while demanding both

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

One technique that I am going to steal should I ever have an in-person interview again is from a guy that we hired about 3 months after me.

He took all of the job bullet points from the listing, wrote more supporting detail on why he met/exceeded/didn’t have experience, and packaged it up into some binders for everyone at the table. This actually headed off a lot of the technical, “what have you done?” bullshit especially since everyone can peruse the answers while sitting there, and lead to more substantive conversations around what working at our place is actually like not just technical bullshit.

I have done something similar before, minus the binders part, and it really helped. Definitely recommend for a job you're really interested in and have advanced past the bullshit phase of interviewing.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I spent a ton of time re-doing my resume in late 2020/early 2021 only to have a recruiter reach out before it was really done, so i sent him the old one and it worked. The moral of the story is to never try.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i sent out a couple resumes out before all this info was posted. I'll update it and send it off to others and see how that works.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.axios.com/tiktok-job-hiring-tiktok-576f3b99-602c-46ac-afed-218ddf61a9ba.html

"tiktok video resume"

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What certifications do you have? The contractors for the navy shipyard in Norfolk is paying 45k for anyone with an A+ and an ability to pass a background check. Why on earth are you working at a job that lovely in this market?

NMCI is hell on Earth but if you are somewhat close in that area and need to get real IT experience on your resume it's kinda worth it. It got me my current job and holy poo poo this is the best job I've ever had in my life.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"Sure, Candidate X knows Grompun, PeroxIDE, and whatever Electric Crab is, but Candidate Y cut 15% from the last place's cloud budget! And they have experience with Petronium!"

“Candidate X sang their entire work experience in the form of a sea shanty. Candidate Y used the nose painting effect to whiteboard a complete fizz buzz implementation in Grompun, but told us to like for part 2.”

“Ugh. Candidate X it is.”

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I should shorten my resume now that I have entered the second half of my 30s and want to conceal that I am now an IT dinosaur

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

holtemon posted:

NMCI is hell on Earth but if you are somewhat close in that area and need to get real IT experience on your resume it's kinda worth it. It got me my current job and holy poo poo this is the best job I've ever had in my life.

I went with a different company because I just got out and I feel my blood pressure rise whenever I even think about DOD computer systems much less having to step foot on a base.

The pay would have been insane for a starting position though, also gently caress commuting onto a major naval installation. At least I spent my entire career only having to go to smaller bases.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/parkerharris/status/1392253069690343424

Where's that DNS haiku, I need it

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

there are times when I've considered framing and hanging this in the home office.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you, you can close my ticket. Rating 5/5 on csat, good day!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bonzo posted:

there are times when I've considered framing and hanging this in the home office.

Someone sells framed prints and stickers

https://www.redbubble.com/i/canvas-print/It-s-not-DNS-by-classictwist/38757083.5Y5V7

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I might have an opportunity to go back and work at an old company as an IT manager of a 3-5 person team instead of as an engineer (at a new company or at the old one) and I don't know what to do :ohdear:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Happiness Commando posted:

I might have an opportunity to go back and work at an old company as an IT manager of a 3-5 person team instead of as an engineer (at a new company or at the old one) and I don't know what to do :ohdear:

which one pays more, why did you leave your old job, how pleasant is your current job?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Going back to an old place is like a reoccurring nightmare for me. Not any one specific job, just a rotating reoccurring nightmare of all the different places.

But hey, if you left on good terms and your only real complaint was someone up the chain who is now gone, maybe it makes sense.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Happiness Commando posted:

Do you want to be a people manager?

Personally I’m probably never going into management. I have no desire to manage people, deal with budget crap, or any of the rest of it, and low/middle management are always the first to get laid off.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

wargames posted:

which one pays more, why did you leave your old job, how pleasant is your current job?

The tech stack was kind of crappy, but I liked the work and my boss. I left because I wanted to do some bucket list travel and they wouldn't give me a sabbatical. I would have preferred to stay if I could have.

Also, if I become a manager of a small team, I won't be able to get a sabbatical for any additional bucket list things...

To be clear, I'm about to leave for the travel in a few weeks - I messaged my old boss after I quit from the layover job I took. This is all notional for when I come back, and so there's no clear offer nor other offer to compare it to yet. It's kind of pissing in the wind at this point

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 12, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're taking sabbaticals and then getting asked back to lead a department maybe you should be the one posting advice. :)

Internet Explorer posted:

Uh! I wasn't looking, but it might be :yotj: time for me, too. Good friend and someone who used to work for me just reached out about a sweet new position he is trying to fill.

So ah, looks like I'll be starting a new job. Pretty good pay bump, working with cooler tech, and most importantly getting further from users and getting the hell out of law firm IT.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

:yotj:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you're taking sabbaticals and then getting asked back to lead a department maybe you should be the one posting advice. :)

So ah, looks like I'll be starting a new job. Pretty good pay bump, working with cooler tech, and most importantly getting further from users and getting the hell out of law firm IT.

Congrats :woop: :woop: :woop:

Just turn this job market into a cream & rub it on my face

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awesome! :yotj:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

:yotj:

Lately, I've been getting the itch myself. I hit my 1-year mark in July and I have the urge to start seeing what else is out there. Mostly for money but partly due to boredom and wanting to continue to learn new stuff.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm having some difficulty determining what to do with a particular team member. When I was promoted I was handed this person from another team because their role didn't align with their workload but made more sense for the infrastructure team I run. I was warned that this person is pretty directionless and needs to be told what to do.

After 4 months this has turned out to be true, which isn't necessarily a problem, there is plenty of odds and ends to do. My bigger issue is that their calendar is booked 50% with personal commitments. They have 3 separate 1 hour bookings for walking the dog and 2 hour long bookings for yoga(the yoga is 2 a week, dog is 3 a day). They also have this habit of picking up non-technical tasks, like meeting with other engineer groups to collect needs and turn them into tasks.

They still are doing work, but I don't consider it particularly challenging. Whereas me, as the manager, and our lead, are knocking out a significant amount of our sprint workload and the two other engineers are doing engineering work as well.

I'm just not sure how to deal with it. We've talked about it and I have told them they need to commit more time to engineering tasks, they have their own KPI spreadsheet and I would consider their work valuable, I just need...more? I feel like I'm being very considerate for their personal life but it's an elephant on the team.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 12, 2021

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sepist posted:

I'm having some difficulty determining what to do with a particular team member. When I was promoted I was handed this person from another team because their role didn't align with their workload but made more sense for the infrastructure team I run. I was warned that this person is pretty directionless and needs to be told what to do.

After 4 months this has turned out to be true, which isn't necessarily a problem, there is plenty of odds and ends to do. My bigger issue is that their calendar is booked 50% with personal commitments. They have 3 separate 1 hour bookings for walking the dog and 2 hour long bookings for yoga(the yoga is 2 a week, dog is 3 a day). They also have this habit of picking up non-technical tasks, like meeting with other engineer groups to collect needs and turn them into tasks.

They still are doing work, but I don't consider it particularly challenging. Whereas me, as the manager, and our lead, are knocking out a significant amount of our sprint workload and the two other engineers are doing engineering work as well.

I'm just not sure how to deal with it. We've talked about it and I have told them they need to commit more time to engineering tasks, they have their own KPI spreadsheet and I would consider their work valuable, I just need...more? I feel like I'm being very considerate for their personal life but it's an elephant on the team.

If this person did not have that time booked in their calendar but did those things anyway, would the amount of work they're doing still be an issue?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Sepist posted:

I was warned that this person is pretty directionless and needs to be told what to do.

After 4 months this has turned out to be true, which isn't necessarily a problem,

This is the important part. If it’s not a problem then what specifically is bothering you about this person?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

Information Systems will be blocking access to streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ to maintain optimal network performance and security. If you have any questions or concerns, please follow up with your department head.
Hey!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

Assign them more work as that is kind of your job. The yoga and the dog walking will figure itself out and I am sure the employee will adapt. I understand your intentions though. You are trying to ensure your team is carrying an equal amount of the weight. The issue is that this is very rarely the case. There is always a most productive and least productive. That is just the way it works. I can't fault someone for making their day stress free if its all voluntary. I have a hunch your employee will take on the extra work load and still find time to dog walk and do yoga.

If you yourself are an overachiever, try not to grade normal people when they aren't you. Its basically having your cake and eating it too. If you decide to take the work, you can't then blame others for not doing the work you took.

The hardest part about being a director for me is focusing on assigned tasks and worrying less about micromanaging people as long as the tasks are being done. If they aren't being done, focus on the individuals until it is. If tasks are being done and your people have free time, GREAT, that is a healthy department.

The moment you start checking browser histories and checking calendars when the work is being done, you gotta realize you are picking up toxic habits.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Sickening posted:

Assign them more work as that is kind of your job. The yoga and the dog walking will figure itself out and I am sure the employee will adapt. I understand your intentions though. You are trying to ensure your team is carrying an equal amount of the weight. The issue is that this is very rarely the case. There is always a most productive and least productive. That is just the way it works. I can't fault someone for making their day stress free if its all voluntary. I have a hunch your employee will take on the extra work load and still find time to dog walk and do yoga.

If you yourself are an overachiever, try not to grade normal people when they aren't you. Its basically having your cake and eating it too. If you decide to take the work, you can't then blame others for not doing the work you took.

The hardest part about being a director for me is focusing on assigned tasks and worrying less about micromanaging people as long as the tasks are being done. If they aren't being done, focus on the individuals until it is. If tasks are being done and your people have free time, GREAT, that is a healthy department.

The moment you start checking browser histories and checking calendars when the work is being done, you gotta realize you are picking up toxic habits.

This is good stuff thanks. To the others, it's not necessarily that dog walking and yoga are the problem as we promote healthy work balance and I myself take time twice a week to watch my toddler, I'm just trying to figure out what to do here. This person does have a lot in their personal "ready for work" queue that has rolled over quite a few sprints so I'm just a bit concerned. The team as a whole is operating efficiently though.

Also I don't read people's calendars, this person has theirs open to all so when I'm trying to navigate scheduling conflicts I see I'm having to schedule around dog walks lol

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 12, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If deliverables are late or of poor quality then address that issue, I wouldn't concern yourself with how someone chooses to manage their own time

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pretty true in my experience.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I think this an ITIL question and a "I'm trying to be lazy I know" question at the same time.

Someone raised a CR to add some extra subnets but didnt add the subnets to AD sites and services. My tech picked up on it because it caused a load of logs to appear (well done him as no bugger else spotted this and there are supposed to be 4 other people looking at these particular logs)

My boss said raise another CR to fix AD sites and services

The question is, am I being lazy to think surely we are just finishing off an existing change and/or we are fixing an issue - we are not actually changing anything at this point - that's already been (half) done in a non-service impacting way.

Or is my bosses mentality of 'if you do something that has any potential for any downtime if you mess up, get a CR' actually correct just from a very thorough risk management perspective.

I guess option 3, is it open to interpretation

I'll do it because I've been told to but I am not sure if my logic is correct or lazy

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm super pro work life balance, but I can see that scheduling things with that person, who is blocking out 17 hours a week off their calendar for personal things, could be tough to manage around. Where I'm at we're really flexible, but we still expect everyone to be around and available between 10 to 12 and 1 to 3 for meetings. Some people like to work 6/7 to 3, some folks like me prefer working 9 to 5ish. Sometimes things come up and that's totally cool, but a blanket block out of almost half your work week for personal stuff seems a bit much.

All that being said, if work is getting done in a timely fashion and is of expected quality, I don't see the big deal. Sounds like he's having difficulty scheduling work around 3 hours of dog walking a day, and getting pushed back into sprints down the line there may be an issue. I'd maybe talk to them about marking the dog walking as tentative on the cal, with the understanding that sometimes you'll need to schedule them at those times

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

angry armadillo posted:

I think this an ITIL question and a "I'm trying to be lazy I know" question at the same time.

Someone raised a CR to add some extra subnets but didnt add the subnets to AD sites and services. My tech picked up on it because it caused a load of logs to appear (well done him as no bugger else spotted this and there are supposed to be 4 other people looking at these particular logs)

The question is, am I being lazy to think surely we are just finishing off an existing change and/or we are fixing an issue - we are not actually changing anything at this point - that's already been (half) done in a non-service impacting way.

Or is my bosses mentality of 'if you do something that has any potential for any downtime if you mess up, get a CR' actually correct just from a very thorough risk management perspective.

I'll do it because I've been told to but I am not sure if my logic is correct or lazy

If the original change request was to add subnets on a router and didn't specify touching AD at all then going into AD to add the subnets to the sites (and presumably reverse DNS zones) is not part of the same change.

So it's a new change request to make these changes, and whatever systems you have internally to prevent things being missed off implementations in future.

If the original change request just said "add new subnets to site [x]" with no details of implementation then your change request process is pretty worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

angry armadillo posted:

ADSaS is a separate CR for us, but I'm in a highly regulated environment where everything we do is documented via CR. We have a bunch of standard pre approved changes we don't need a full CAB for (like updating ADSaS), but we document every single change to production.