Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The consultant was putting together a "diversity" spreadsheet and I saw that he had not put a checkmark next to my name in the "40+ years old" column. :)

The HR person fixed it later. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
How long do you folks usually stay at your job?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
After four and half years in the Army I've done 1 year eight months, one year, and current one year. Just got promoted from senior consultant to management so I won't be leaving for at least another year, but I was going to start sort of looking had I not been promoted. Moved up in responsibility and pay every stop.

Had an interview my last round where a VP warned me about job hopping. She had been with IBM for 20 years and thought there was value in staying put. Turned down their offer when it came through, I control my labor and gently caress anyone who tells me otherwise. You want me to stay then do everything you can to make it happen. Otherwise see yah later!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Kashuno posted:

1 - 4 years so far but I would only jump to advance my career/salary beyond what staying at the current place could do. At this point I'll probably be here for longer than that now that we've ironed out all the wrinkles that made me want to leave.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Strengthfinders is so insanely lame. I was at a place that was obsessed with it, and it started creeping in to discussions about work assignments and promotions. 'Here let me go pull Sandra's top ten strengths to determine if she's a good fit for this project with Duane' ugh. No thanks.

We have a required personality test where you have to pick words from a group that shows how you view yourself, and then how you think others view you. From that they rank you as high/low on A, B, C, D. I never got the training so I have no idea what A, B, C, or D stand for, but our HR department will constantly use it to describe people like "well Bob's a high D, so lets put off this decision until the next meeting so he can have time to think it over!"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

Been here for 6 years, but my pay has more than doubled since I started and the benefits are nice.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm at 5 years here and not going anywhere with all these fringe benefits.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
15 years here.. (Started working for the company right out of high school).

I'll retire here if they'll let me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kashuno posted:

I'm closing in on 10 years, but I've been on a fairly steady upward trajectory in terms of position and pay. The previous place I had been at for 6 years.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
1.5 years at previous company.

I'm 6 months into my new workplace. Already gotten a raise and less hours to work. I am not planning on changing jobs soon.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Strengthfinders is so insanely lame. I was at a place that was obsessed with it, and it started creeping in to discussions about work assignments and promotions. 'Here let me go pull Sandra's top ten strengths to determine if she's a good fit for this project with Duane' ugh. No thanks.

Is this the one that assigns stupid buzzword descriptors to you as a person? If it is it made all the management at my company have insufferable e-mail signatures.

quote:

Signed,

Jason
Company X
Achiever Responsibility Individualization Relator Learner

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Developer Ideation Communication Knowledgable Belief Utility Trust Talent

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Transcendental Change Activist and Synergy Refreshment Coordinator

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Been with my company for 3 and a half years (though I have almost 8 years seniority). Im on my 3rd different position though; I would have left a year or two ago if I had not been able to move up.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
How long does it usually take before moving up?

Edit: Can anyone tell me what it's like working in San Fransico?
I may be transferring to the Bay Area. It's scary but I believe accepting this and putting myself in a new environment can be an amazing experience.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 22, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sefal posted:

God, that is such an open ended question. And the only real answer is: It depends.

I mean, it there's so many factors such as technical skill/competence. Do positions open/get created internally frequently? Is seniority taken into account? There may be others ahead of you on the conveyor belt. Are there certification/education requirements?

It's not only different from place to place, it can also differ based on position/department.

If you're anything other than entry-level I'd say not to expect anything during the 1st year at the least (I'm not saying it can't happen, but don't expect it as an entitlement). If you are entry level, I'd start looking for opportunities to progress either internally or externally by the time 1 year rolls around if there doesn't seem to be any movement.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Kashuno posted:

6 years with the current company, moved up twice and have had steady pay/total comp increases yearly.

Company before that was 5 and before there was 4. Everything before that was about a year.

So for 18 years of IT employment, about 15 was with 3 companies.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Kashuno posted:

At the moment it seems like my tenure gets shorter as time goes on, i stayed 10 years at my oldest job, moved over and stayed for 1,5 years, last job was one year, currently on a six month contract.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

God, that is such an open ended question. And the only real answer is: It depends.

I mean, it there's so many factors such as technical skill/competence. Do positions open/get created internally frequently? Is seniority taken into account? There may be others ahead of you on the conveyor belt. Are there certification/education requirements?

It's not only different from place to place, it can also differ based on position/department.

If you're anything other than entry-level I'd say not to expect anything during the 1st year at the least (I'm not saying it can't happen, but don't expect it as an entitlement). If you are entry level, I'd start looking for opportunities to progress either internally or externally by the time 1 year rolls around if there doesn't seem to be any movement.

Thank you. I'm not looking for a promotion right now i'm 6 months into my new job which already was a jump up. Just was wondering if there was a set pattern. I have 2 years of experience in IT now. The longer i'm in IT the more I learn how little I actually know.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

14 years in October. I'll stick around as long as they let me. I know it's not the best thing for my career or earning potential, but I'm happy.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Kashuno posted:

After spending too long at my first real job I decided to start looking before things get either routine/boring or the work is too stressful. So it was about 2-3 years the last two positions.

I kinda started looking before things got bad the last two times. One project got cancelled a month or two after I switched jobs and then my last one was doing re-org and they kinda forced me out anyway.
Not mad at all about it now because I landed some place pretty sweet (aside from a long commute).

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

IMOa year is a good rule of thumb, but there are a lot of factors that can change that. The company's culture, whether you have the knowledge or skill for your new role, etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Can I assume you don't mean the glorified IQ test I just took? (Criteria Cognitive Aptitude Test)

I'd never heard of it but I just got 13 out of 16 on a test and ran out of time before the last 3 questions (oops), after spending far too long to realize that DORT has a D and not a P in it.
My son is also named DORT.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sefal posted:

Thank you. I'm not looking for a promotion right now i'm 6 months into my new job which already was a jump up. Just was wondering if there was a set pattern. I have 2 years of experience in IT now. The longer i'm in IT the more I learn how little I actually know.

Ambition goes a long way. As long as you show initiative and continue to want to learn it is typically something that is very obvious to management and helps with upward movement. When I was in the NOC I started at Level 1, Level 2 after a year, and then Network Engineer a year later because I had the lowest escalation rate and was the only guy calling the engineers and asking to sit with them on hard problems and eventually I was just calling them to confirm suspicions. Once I got to that point I noticed upward mobility was dead (worked with lifers in a stagnant company) so I would interview at companies that would provide a career challenge and possible upward mobility, and just kept jumping when the challenge no longer existed and the mobility wasn't what I wanted/didn't exist.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kashuno posted:

5 years at this one so far with no plans on leaving, but don't use an arbitrary time period for moving on. Look at whether or not you're satisfied, are you getting paid well, moving up, doing interesting work, do you like your boss/coworkers, etc

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Over the last 17 years:

4 years (burned out)
1.5 years struggling with consulting
3 years (company went under)
2 years (quit due to long-term exposure to Tony)
4 years (burned out)
2.5 years and counting...

EDIT: I should dig up my old resumes so I can add the horrors from the 10 years before that. :ghost:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
1 year, 6 months, 2 years, coming up on 2 years. Feels weird to be moving on again this fast, but eh poo poo happens.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We're about to finish our last major project for the year and next year we will be implementing Microsoft Dynamics ERP but that doesn't interest me much. I'm thinking I've got a solid base after just about 2 years here, and I just updated my resume a couple nights ago and for the first time in a while I'm like "wow this actually looks really strong"

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Kashuno posted:

We're about to finish our last major project for the year and next year we will be implementing Microsoft Dynamics ERP but that doesn't interest me much. I'm thinking I've got a solid base after just about 2 years here, and I just updated my resume a couple nights ago and for the first time in a while I'm like "wow this actually looks really strong"

Unless you really, REALLY hate yourself, get out before you install Microsoft ERP.

It's so god damned awful. We've got a team of 4 who do nothing but program for it, and it's till rear end in so many ways.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
2 years seems like a good amount of time to become an expert in what you're working with and qualify you to move on. That doesn't mean you should though.

Maybe it's the millennial in me but I can't fathom working at any single place for 10 years.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 5, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Aunt Beth posted:

I work in government IT. The job is great, the commute is great, the pay is a huge step up from what I was making at IBM (despite working fewer hours), and the benefits are off the hook. I would have to take a tremendous raise to move somewhere else.

Same here.

It's healthcare IT, even worse it's healthcare IT at an actual hospital! The pay is great, I have some room for advancement ad my commute is 5 minutes. I've been here almost a year, 2 guys on my team have been here 10+ years. It would take a tremendous pay increase and 100% remote work to make me want to leave. Taking a job that would pay more would require me to deal with I4 traffic headed towards Orlando on a daily basis and give me almost a 2 hour round trip commute, I did that for 5 years, I will not do that again.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Aunt Beth posted:

I work in government IT. The job is great, the commute is great, the pay is a huge step up from what I was making at IBM (despite working fewer hours), and the benefits are off the hook. I would have to take a tremendous raise to move somewhere else.

whatup government IT buddy. The city I work in is fairly wealthy so our benefits are insane and our budgets are full. It would take well over six figures for me to move on. I plan on getting there for sure but I'm riding this gravy train for the next 3 or 4 years minimum.

Today I showed up at 11 AM in shorts and a polo, and I'll take off at 5. That's worth a lot of loving money to me.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sefal posted:

Edit: Can anyone tell me what it's like working in San Fransico?
I may be transferring to the Bay Area. It's scary but I believe accepting this and putting myself in a new environment can be an amazing experience.

I have been working for an MSP in Oakland with clients mostly in SF for a little over three years. The job market in the bay area is much larger for IT so you can find somewhere else to work without having to move. Noncompetes are not generally enforceable in ca. Ca state income taxes for people making under 100k are actually less than Oregon or m
Maine, they are more progressive in CA. You get overtime for more than 8 hours in a day, can't be overtime exempt in IT unless you make six figures and meet the other requirements. Housing is really expensive but most other costs are about the same as the rest of the country. Depending on where you live and work it may be faster to commute without a car. In many areas it is practical to not own a car at all. A lot of companies have dumb vesting requirements on 401k and stock. Most benefits are negotiable. Pretty much all companies have food and snacks for free and some transportation benefits like pretax bus pass or company busses.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That's some great info. Thank you! I'm commuting by bicycle now. I would prefer to keep doing that.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

whatup government IT buddy. The city I work in is fairly wealthy so our benefits are insane and our budgets are full. It would take well over six figures for me to move on. I plan on getting there for sure but I'm riding this gravy train for the next 3 or 4 years minimum.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 5, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Maybe it's the millennial in me but I can't fathom working at any single place for 10 years.

It's almost like a silver pair of handcuffs after you've been with a company for a while. I get 28 paid days off a year in addition to normal holidays and what not. I WFH 99% of the time, and our health benefits are excellent.

I just can't see leaving this job for 5 or 10K more in annual salary, but have to start over at 10 days vacation, a worse health plan, and having to show up in a cube every day at 8AM. Between my wife and I we make a very nice living, and 10K pre-tax won't make much of a difference in our lifestyle.

The work is still engaging, I'm happy with what I do and who I work for, so I'm good for now.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

skipdogg posted:

It's almost like a silver pair of handcuffs after you've been with a company for a while. I get 28 paid days off a year in addition to normal holidays and what not. I WFH 99% of the time, and our health benefits are excellent.

I just can't see leaving this job for 5 or 10K more in annual salary, but have to start over at 10 days vacation, a worse health plan, and having to show up in a cube every day at 8AM. Between my wife and I we make a very nice living, and 10K pre-tax won't make much of a difference in our lifestyle.

The work is still engaging, I'm happy with what I do and who I work for, so I'm good for now.

negotiation is your friend.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was self-employed for 16 of the last 17 years (I retired last August) as a consultant. Before that, I was a high school teacher for two years, a game software project manager for five, and a soldier for ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

Unless you really, REALLY hate yourself, get out before you install Microsoft ERP.

It's so god damned awful. We've got a team of 4 who do nothing but program for it, and it's till rear end in so many ways.

:stonk: