Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

psydude posted:

Yeah wait we've had enough chat about divisive issues in the past few days.

What are y'all drinking? I just bought a bottle of Glenmorangie Port Cask.

I'm a rum drinker. This poo poo has been my favorite for the last couple years. It runs about $60-80 per bottle depending on sales.

Diplomatica Exclusiva Reserva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I have spent all goddamn day tracing down a database connection error in some third party software for a client and it RANDOMLY starts working right before I finally get a dev ticket submitted. Then the T3 I have on the phone just goes oh well works for now; make sure you do that upgrade we sent you that should arrive in the mail tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks; you gently caress.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

All right, which one of you works in IT for my provincial government?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/virk-data-education-1.3238851

What the gently caress?

I'm right next door in Alberta and can't imagine that happening. Sending this link off to a few friends at the Blue Cross and University. But dear god. How does one simply /lose/ a physical drive? How does one not encrypt something like that?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Why was that drive even removed from the rack before it was dead and why wasn't it instantly destroyed if presumed dead? SO MANY QUESTIONS. It almost sounds like somebody just straight up walked into the datacenter, took the drive, and strolled off.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Working in IT 3.0: just ramming into the servers every 0.2 seconds

Oh my god please. This.

Also reading that was a goldmine.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

flosofl posted:

(this is assuming you're not in dire straights and desperate for employment)

This has been me the last couple jobs mostly due to lovely circumstance. I've taken it upon myself to make sure that does not happen again. I know to jump ship now if I feel like the bitch is going down and I can't stop it.

To be fair I actually like my current job, I could probably stood to ask for more money when they hired me though.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Hey, are application developers allowed in this thread or is it haraam for me to come in here and start talking about my Spring middletier and how vexing our backend guys are some times. I can't seem to find a "working in software development" megathread and i pine for a sense of community.

If it helps once upon a time I was in best buy geek squad, that's basically IT right? :yayclod:

Yay programmer buddy :hfive:

I moved into Network and Systems administration when I realized I didn't want to code all day every day for somebody else. Now I just code/script for myself and it's much more fun (though my boss is trying to sweet talk me into being our SharePoint developer because of this). Also once I take the next step over in my career; coding is quite useful in the security world.

Also the coding horrors thread is basically this but for coding. I lurk there frequently.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 29, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

Admittedly, half of the responsibility for that is probably on Eclipse.

Found your problem (though poo poo hardware doesn't help)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Or you can be like a buddy of mine whose been working 3rd shift for 15 years and wouldnt ever give it up.

There is a good chance he is actually dead.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

And then to accidentally nuke all of them so that it's less of an upgrade plan and more of a buy new poo poo plan.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Walked posted:

I posted this question as an edit to a post some time ago (so it was likely glossed over).

I'm going from a senior IT administrator role to a technical team lead / management position (moving our security resource under me, as well as hiring a new resource, possibly a second - one offer already out).

My only other experience in a leadership role is within a position where I had very little control over managing my team outside of giving them technical guidance, whereas where I'm at here I have a degree of budgetary, project planning, training, etc autonomy.

:b]So:[/b] Does anyone have recommended reading on managing small teams and doing so effectively (and managing the gap between "getting poo poo done" and "keeping people happy and pleasant")? I've been pretty much a singular role for the last 4 years with a ton of institutional knowledge; so since this came to be I've been centralizing all my notes and documentation, and I have my own ideas - but I'd also like to do the requisite reading up front as well.

Overnight response, as well as Vulture Culture already hit on my #1 recommendation. I also found Make A Difference: In the lives of those you love, live with, and lead by Dr. Larry Little to be useful in knowing how to deal with certain types of people. I usually don't look for management positions but inevitably I find myself in them sometimes due to technical ability and experience with particular project work.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Internet of Things: a new term for the same poo poo we've been selling you for the past 40 years.

Thanks for that Cisco.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Still the best Chrome extension.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

It's a bit trickier to block Facebook now that many sites are using Facebook login to authenticate users.

Basically this.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That is also extremely important. It's even more of a headache here in Canada. Know your laws regarding what traffic you can and cannot intercept and look at.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

This winter is supposed to be especially bad too. :rip:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

poo poo deal. Hopefully those interviews turn into something for you sooner rather than later.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

If my salary depended on not understanding things I'd be retired by now!

Printers alone could fund my retirement.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

flosofl posted:

Yep, or doing a trunk change at the wrong end first. ::raises hand::

Haven't done it yet. I absolutely know I will at some point.

I had a buddy decommission an Exchange server and end up wiping out a solid chunk of the AD structure with it. Such is life sometimes. (I would have done this if he hadn't but now I will never forget that deleting mailboxes will also toast user accounts.)

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 26, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I use blue consolas and never emotes. When I do emote they're all text base because I have actual emoticons disabled. I'm that guy.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

lol that's quite the offer

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

No need for me to resist. I don't get recruiter calls like that at this point in my life (may change moving forward? or I'm just hopeful)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I was going to ask how you guys actually interview for positions in-person while you have full-time jobs, but I guess you'd just schedule it in advance and call in sick or something huh?

Or schedule it during lunch or just after hours. Would consider scheduling at the very end of the day and clocking out 45mins early or something. Calling in is obviously the easy answer though.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

What did they start setting up on that twitch linux install that shut it down?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I read all my work mail, but admittedly I get fair less than most of you due to having a dispatcher in the company receiving tickets and sending them out.

Personal email is a hell. I don't do anything do it and just check it every couple days unless I'm waiting for something.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

This thread is fantastic right now. Also bidets really are the answer.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

captkirk posted:

or graph theory.

I, too, long for discussions on optimizing SPF algorithms.

Seriously though it would make design and topology discussions go so smooth.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, as long as you actually want to export every single mailbox, the solution is probably 2 lines long. Never done Powershell stuff with Exchange but I'm assuming it would be:

Get-Mailbox -identity * | forEach-Object { New-ExportWhatever -Path D:\WhyAmIDoingThis\ }

Keep an eye on this if you run something similar. Exchange likes to be poo poo sometimes and hang mid copy.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

My MSP isn't huge, so we just use a shared OneNote document. We have maybe 25-30 guys?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

orange sky posted:

We're a small team (12 guys) but we're part of a much bigger organization. We're almost completely separate from that company in everything though, from sales to delivery. The company just does HR, Payroll, etc.

I guess a OneNote wouldn't be a terrible thing but I know that it would end up a huge mess after a while.

I would be lying if I said it was good. We're looking to just use the OneNote share for our SOP and are currently planning a new documentation system (probably Sharepoint).

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

skipdogg posted:

It's a dead week at work, I've been watching videos all day, getting my PowerShell DSC learn on.

Pretty much sums it up. I'm on the forums all day and occasionally reading up on some industry news.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Welp,

My employer can't find anyone well-versed in MS SQL Server and now they're looking at the existing staff to step up to the plate. I know how to write decent queries but I don't know much else aside from typical Windows/Linux System Administration.

What exactly would I be getting myself into here?

Be very cautious as to whether they just need some work or want a DBA. If the latter, you best read up on it so you know what you're getting in to. Being a DBA is a nightmare and involves much more than writing stored procedures to access the data. You start getting into database design and a whole bunch of poo poo.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

You're 90% there with enjoying pain already. The rest is just learning to be bad at databases, but slightly less bad than 99.99% of everyone else.

Pretty much this.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

captkirk posted:

Make sure you don't know anything about disk, resource bottle necks, or the generally finite nature of physical memory. Those are all concerns for the systems team.

I'm so triggered right now.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Because it's easier to make really big lovely and slow queries in MSSQL.
Be sure to nest views, avoid joins as much as possible, never partition DBs, and never truncate anything, ever.

When everything is hosed, blame "the server guys."

Who will, in turn, blame "the network".

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's pretty amazing to watch from the outside, seeing stuff in the US, because you're spot-on, it's like they're voting for policies that will directly hurt them. I don't get it!

Chiming in as another Canadian, some of the US policies look really strange from the outside. However, I am far from an expert on the subject; just tossing in some agreement on an outsider's perspective.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Kirios posted:

This will scale wonderfully!

And yet I have physically seen this in a config before... :cry:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Configure static routing everywhere and don't bother with redundancy because who has time to manage STP anyway, right

That way we can save money by buying HP ProCurves which come with it off by default!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

So my girlfriend randomly tells me yesterday: "Hey some of my guildies from Guild Wars 2 got me using this other chat platform that isn't Skype and it's so much better!"

Oh yeah? What is it?

"It's called Slack."

So apparently she happens to play with some IT goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

FireSight posted:

No no no, he doesn't want anyone having admin access to the IT tools! Dude is a roadblock to anything getting done. Users ALL have admin on their own machines, because *reasons*.

I mean, I love this workplace, the company is great, but the senior IT dude just seems to have some kind of fear that if anyone else gets access to the tools, he will become useless and get replaced.

Seconding that OpenDNS could solve this issue. Umbrella is quite good.