Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Bigass Moth posted:

I work with a lot of people who for various reasons don't drink at all. :(

Tea seems to be very popular with the non-alcoholic dev crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Depends a lot on whether the company is remote-first, or if remote employees are outliers. The engineering group at my current job is almost entirely remote so basically all communication is via Slack or video calls with Bluejeans. I've been loving remote so far, but I'm afraid the party is coming to an end.

Now for a rant:

We got a new director of IT about 6 months ago who had never worked with distributed teams. He was upfront about never working with a distributed team and not liking the idea, but we all figured we were safe because our apps are all poo poo and still on Ruby on Rails 3 and there was a ton of tribal knowledge. Fast forward to last week, he canned two of our remote employees in the bay area (about a month before the sizeable annual bonus pays out). Needless to say everyone is now on edge and probably looking for new jobs. One of the people canned was our go-to guy for assisting the call center support folks, so everyone left in that rotation now has a much shittier time to look forward to. Were it not for the bonus and my wife being 8 months pregnant, I would have been long gone by now.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Hey Colin thanks for joining, we've got Stripe, brown guy, and Darchangel, we'll wait for a few more and then I'd like to discuss our plans for the upcoming AWS build out for--- oh hey Sickening, thanks for joining, we've got Stripe, Colin, brown guy and Darchangel, we're just waiting a moment for anyone else..."

Our idiot scrum master can't be bothered to ever look at the participant list in BlueJeans, so she's always asking everyone else if whoever is on the call. On top of this she doesn't keep up with our slack, so even if someone mentions they're going to miss standup/planning/whatever she's like "where's John? Is John on the call?".

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

Sickening posted:

My companies COO just quit. Someone was not happy about not getting their bonus.

Our company's board just fired the CEO last week. We assumed we were all getting laid off when we got the meeting invite because our director of engineering seems to only call team meetings for bad news.

All the other C level folks are frantically trying to calm everyone down. This place continues to be a complete poo poo show.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

I definitely prefer take home assignments if possible, but I've had 3 interviews recently where I've done these and then gotten a form rejection letter and zero feedback on my solution. For one of these the next step in the process was supposed to be discussing my solution with 2 engineers at the company, so I dunno if they froze their process due to coronavirus or what the deal was.

I've been getting a lot of interviews lately wanting to use Coderpad and similar tools, which are just as bad as whiteboarding since the intellisense doesn't even work half the time.