Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Am I overstepping by applying to Network Engineer I positions without any help desk experience? I have my CCNA and Sec+, an ITM degree in may, and "young guy who knows computers"/AD experience from my previous career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

The Iron Rose posted:

nope, shoot for the moon and you'll hit the stars.

now is a great time to start up a consulting service and get a few friends to pay you a nominal $20 to fix their poo poo though.

Appreciate it. Even after following this thread, the industry seems more tolerable than what I'm in now.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

skipdogg posted:

Also remember most job postings are wish lists. I've never seen anyone hired in my career that ticked every single box. Don't be discouraged from applying because you lack experience in one of the 23 domains they're asking for experience in.

Thanks again all, I'll keep that in mind. It seems like every entry level posting requires 2-5 years of hands on experience with esoteric technologies.

Regarding the AWS cert track, is that genrally more marketable than a linux cert for someone is my position? Or is it entirely situation dependent? Im trying to figure out what to study next.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

unbutthurtable posted:

It just occurred to me how funny it is that the thing that really got Sickening's CEO to give a poo poo about the CISO is that she was double dipping and holding down another job lol

I've been lurking in this thread just for his updates. If he gets promoted to CISO the story should be archived for goon lore. On par with Groverhaus or that kid who tried to hike across america with a push cart.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

xzzy posted:

Don't forget all the time spent making yourself acceptable for being in public. Picking clothes, taking a shower, making a lunch.. all that isn't part of the commute itself but it's absolutely time out of your day just so you can exist in public.

There's some value to skipping shaving for a couple days or having a splash-n-dash shower then tossing on some sweatpants. Or having your entire kitchen available when it's lunchtime.

Soap now classified as a work expense.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Subscribe to my OnlyWANs for some "virtual private networking"

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

DropsySufferer posted:

Speaking of career advancement.

I just finished the last of 6 interviews for a systems admin role. I think did well and even had the sysadmin lead tell me he was going to try to push me forward as the best candidate.

Currently I work at an MSP so my role essentially is Everything: helpdesk, network engineer, systems admin, Endpoint deployment technician. IT manager and so on. I'm not required to answer random customer calls at least.

I'm hoping with 6 interviews done my chances will be very good because you have to pass the rounds get to the end. The final interviewer mentioned he wasnt interviewing anyone else as well.

I will try not to think about it too much. Whatever happens happens.

There are people who get married after less than 6 interviews.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Boba Pearl posted:

Ugh, i don't speak boomer, what does it mean when someone calls you a cuss (not a swear, literally a cuss,) and these emojis 🤣🤣🤣

Depends on the context, but generally boomers believe that if they don't say the word, than they are excused of the consequences of their intent(ie. "Oh mylanta", "Let's go Brandon", "state's rights").

I have seen boomers use that emoji to signify both crying and/or anger.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Whelp, this week I have a technical interview with the help desk lead and the engineering team lead to see where I might fit best.

I have a weird background. IT was never my primary job but I was default Help Desk/ Net Admin at my worksite for years so I got my CCNA, Azure Admin cert for funsies during lockdown.

This is my first IT technical interview. The company seems like a really good fit regardless of where I end up. Taking all advice.

Should I apply the D.E.N.N.I.S. principles and establish dominance?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Well, I did it. I got an official help desk job now, instead of being "the guy in the office that knows computers."

It's fully(ish) remote at an MSP that caters to security compliance, so it seems like there will be room to grow.

Somehow my experience was enough to get a level 2 role so uhh... I guess I already have imposter syndrome?

Anyway, I've lurked in here for a while and I want to thank you clinically insane goons for the insight necessary to land a job

I will also blame this thread for all of my future problems.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

jaegerx posted:

What’s your alcohol of choice?

Straight Bourbon. Going to make Costco run before I start.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

i am a moron posted:

At an MSP they’ll need the best bang for their buck, it’s gonna be vodka in a plastic bottle eventually

My goal in the MSP is to learn as much as possible before my liver gives out. How do you know if/when you've hit the point of diminishing returns?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I just started my first "Unlimited PTO" job with the caveat that you shouldnt pick dates already claimed by another person on my 4 person team.

I haven't been here long enough to gauge what "unlimited means"

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Been at my remote help desk job for a few weeks now and I...don't hate it?

Everyone's really helpful. I'm learning a ton I get to have dinner with my family every night. Im busier than I've ever been while working in an office setting but somehow less stressed.

I'm pretty content now just learning but now Im wondering what I should be studying after I get more comfortable with the role.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

tokin opposition posted:

Go cloud if you want money, go networking if you don't mind always in demand in person work, security if you want to be a computer cop or h@x0r, or an MBA if you want to stop touching computers but still make IT money

Cloud for the remote aspect, but security seems like an easier pivot with my background. I finished a CySa cert and maybe will start a CISSP soon. I dunno, I just don't want to be one of those exmil guys with a cert who points to a Nesus scan result and grunts.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Thanks Ants posted:

I've run out of patience with trying to get someone on our team to read documentation, do some self-paced learning, engage with training that they are sent on. They insist nothing's wrong when offered help but they just cannot do this job.

Do they even realize that they are a problem?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I've had a less than positive experience with someone who put ", CISSP" in their signature.

I've also had someone with CIO/CISO in their signature struggle in understanding how 2FA apps work.

Maybe everything is bullshit

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 20, 2023

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

tokin opposition posted:

Wasting time in a legislative agenda setting meeting (nonprofits) and wow is it disheartening to hear the only real thing we got done this year is got money from the state and "advocated for DEI topics," which as a DEI degree holder I can tell you means absolutely nothing.

I'd say I want to go to another NP but they've all been like this so far. :(

The primary goal of a non profit is for the idle rich to claim status at cocktail parties

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Well, I'll be leaving my MSP job. Just got on offer for significantly more money for an inhouse role. The only downside is that it is completely on site.

I've only been working in my current role for less than 5 months, does it...look bad on a resume? Should I care if it does?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

George H.W. oval office posted:

Houston is the superior city though

Come for the endless parking lots, stay for the 8 lane highways between 4 lane highways.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I'm finding a lot of similarities between potty training a child and speaking with users.

"That's okay, accidents happen."

"Great! Let's do it this way from now on."

"

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

App13 posted:

Finished up my masters earlier this year, knocked out Sec+ last week (drat you DoD 8570) and now I’m wondering what’s next.

CISSP seems like the answer, though that’s a big hill to climb.

I suppose I could just chill and vibe, but I’ve got the time and the energy and might as well keep pushing. Works paying for it so :shrug:

Been working on CISSP for about 3 months. I've probably got another 3 months to go at my rate. It's alot. It's alot more than Sec+ and I am questioning is it is worth it at this point.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Schir posted:

I have applied to a few positions here and there, and did get an interview with my job's IT department that I didn't end up getting, but I think some of the trouble I'm having is that I just don't know how to communicate "I gently caress around with computers a bunch at home" into a resume format.

Certs were my way of translating "gently caress around with computers" into something that HR could understand. They might also mean something to the hiring manager, but only if you can translate that knowledge into something useful.

I.e.

"How would you troubleshoot a user saying their wifi is down" . This allowed me to explain my thought process, my knowledge of the OSI stack, networking, general knowledge, experience, interpersonal abilities (do you make people uncomfortable?) Etc.

At least this was my experience career changing and promoting out of help desk in less than 6 months. YMMV

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

FISHMANPET posted:

There's so much poo poo that would be considered "fundamental" that I absolutely cannot recall on demand. I've written thousands of lines of PowerShell over the past decade and I frequently have to look up the exact syntax for an "else if" statement (I get it confused with elif in Python). At a certain level, what you're hiring for is problem solving and troubleshooting, which usually doesn't require reciting trivia. And lots and lots of certs are mostly trivia like that.

Then again the last person I interviewed and hired ended up not knowing poo poo and was probably a different person doing the job than the person we interviewed, so what the hell do I know.

Just listened to a darknet dairies episode about that:

Here it is!

https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/133/

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
It's dark going into work
and walking from the car
So during my lunch break,
I poo poo in a jar.

I'm tired again
In this job I lament
So I bide my time
While my jar ferments

Once in a while
When the job can be tough
I open the jar
And take a big huff.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 15, 2023

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Life's pretty good, I started a new job a few months ago. There is a wide range of things to support, (some windows, rhel, and ubtubu systems), and I was assigned a project to rebuild a server environment in azure.) They are even paying for me to sit for the cissp after I told them I'd been studying for it.

My replacement at my old job already quit and the boss asked if would come back. I laughed and said I appreciate the offer. He was actually a pretty good boss but that environment was somehow simultaneously stressful and completely meaningless.

Back when I left I was worried I was making a terrible decision but now I laugh and wondered why I didn't leave sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

George H.W. oval office posted:

Walk around with a big sonic plush with huge eyes, a samurai sword, and a box copy of the big bang theory and see which one she lights up the most on

My version of this is to talk about sports, then video games, then anime, and then Twin Peaks to see what they bite on hardest.