Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

BLack Summer was the Best Summer

joe944 posted:

Head of HR left the company with a rather venomous farewell email, and I feel rather proud of the fact that I was called out directly for making their jobs difficult after they attempted to not pay overtime for on-call hours, even though it was said completely out of context in an attempt to make me look stupid.

Heh. My wife brought home some copies of paperwork with some fairly funny policies from her school. Here are some highlights which I am actually kind of looking forward to sue for if she ever got into the situation.

1: Paycheck deduction for accidentally breaking their school issued iphones. (500$)
2: Paycheck deduction for working partial days without pto available. (salaried)
3: Collection for 5k in manditory training costs if you decide to leave the school, will withhold last paycheck. (Texas)

I am thinking we could probably make a major dent in the mortgage with whatever is left over if 2 or 3 ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Anyone in this thread currently attending or a grad from WGU?

I am both.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Did you have a pretty easy time getting your certifications through them? Do they just give you vouchers and you have to schedule your own stuff with CompTIA, or is it something they've worked out where you get your certification after you pass certain assessments?

They give you coursework that is going to be more than adequate to get you prepared for the tests for comptia. You will go through the coursework once and apply for a voucher. After a day or two they give you a voucher code that you can use to schedule a test at a testing center like any other tester. You will have a person with WGU that will help you through the entire process. Its pretty painless and hassle free.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Right on man, I feel like getting an A+ and being in progress on others is the key to breaking into IT.

Don't enroll into WGU just to get an A+. If you were attempting to get back into college while getting certs then it makes sense. If just getting into IT is your goal (as in any IT job possible) then having a cert MAY help you do that.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

internet jerk posted:

Do you actually have experience with intrusion analysis? I'm not sure how "I'm a Unix admin" = "I'm going to apply to be an IA".

How does operational knowledge NOT transfer over into a position that is based on securing those systems?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

internet jerk posted:

How does being a sysadmin qualify you to be a "Security Analyst"? Also what does that mean. Intrusion analyst, security engineering, pentesting?

How does one qualify to be any of those?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Prepared for a poo poo storm of Xen in a few days. I'm under NDA but if you have a vendor that you can contact, I suggest you do so.

What does this even mean?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

smokmnky posted:

Anyone have experience with PXE boot? I'm looking to learn about setting up a PXE server for booting to a custom WinPE image i have. If you have any links to how to set it up or what I need to do to get started that would be super helpful.

http://blog.itvce.com/?p=4730

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Dark Helmut posted:

"Tell me about what you do outside of work" gets em every time.

I have conversations with people all the time where we discuss kids/marriage status etc. My interviews are pretty informal discussions though.

And maybe I'm a little different even though I can potentially be a direct employer, but if someone refuses to discuss salary with me in a face to face meeting, I probably won't work with them because it's a sign they are going to be difficult to work with. I actually get paid more if I get you more, so not only is it in my best interests but it's a key part of having that honest conversation about where you are now and what's going to make a job change make sense for you and your situation.

I acknowledge though, that I probably wouldn't recommend giving up salary or other personal details without building a level of trust first.

While I am sure you make more when the employee gets more it still doesn't change the fact that your first priority is to get the employee into a range where the employer is going to easily accept. Your goals are just not totally in line with the employee.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

I just had an interesting recruiter call.

I read on your resume that you aren't interested in contract positions, does this also go for "contract to hire" positions?
Since the only difference between the two is a small promise then yes, that does include "contract to hire".
Thank you for your honesty. Do you have anyone in your network with your skillset that would like a contract position?
Nope, not at this time.
Would you mind please sending this job description to your entire network anyway?
Thanks and have a gre..... umm what was that last part?
Would you mind please sending this job description to your entire network anyway?
I thought I just told you I didn't know anybody that met your criteria?
Sorry for the confusion. In my experience with my own network I find that I am not up to date with everyone skills.
How about I leave the recruiting work to you.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Dark Helmut posted:

lol. Shameless...

For real though, in right to work states like VA and possibly beyond, CtH is very, very different than contract, and is in fact more like direct hire.

In my state, you can be fired at any time for any reason, so there really is no more security in full time roles, it's just perceived that there is. A CtH is just a different way for companies to onboard a full time resource, similar to buying a car with cash up front or making payments (6 month contract to hire). In addition, it's sometimes actually an advantage for the employee. If you find yourself in a job that you hate, would you rather show that you left a full time job after 6 months (or be trapped!) or would you like the natural escape hatch that CtH provides so you can just call it a 6 month contract?

There are no guarantees in a CtH, but if you have a good recruiter and make the most of your conversations with the hiring manager, you should feel good about it before you go in.

Anyway, that recruiter just sounds like another one of the idiots that gives us a bad name.

/recruiterspeak

In any of those situations does the CtH get the same bennifits as the full time employee? Same pto, medical, 401k, the works?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

In limited experience less than a decade in IT, it's almost always straight up cash and no benefits. One of my gigs had really crappy health insurance with a $20k deductible just incase you ever truly screw yourself over.

That was my point.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

b0nes posted:

For those of you who said A+ was bullshit gently caress you! This is the hardest i've worked in school in a long time.

Hold your criticism until you take the test. You will see why people say what they do.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

First time I have witnessed someone yelling at my work place today. Turns out an exec is upset and is canceling a "company dinner" that he scheduled. Too few people signed up. He is basically going around telling people how ungrateful they are and blah blah blah.

The funny thing is that this "company dinner" was nothing more than meeting up at this fancy steak place close by and everyone splitting the check. Turns out he is one of those assholes who will order big and drink big while wanting to split it evenly with everyone.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

myron cope posted:

How close to the "1 year at helpdesk" thing should I stick? The middle of November is one year for me. They've sent me on a couple of new store openings (we're in retail), in fact I'm actually at one now. There's talk of a new traveling position "next year". There is an opening (or possible opening?) for a sys admin that I took a test for--I don't think the test matters that much, I think they find the person they want and then give them the job. If the current help desk supervisor leaves, they've also said I'm basically their first choice there (...since their actual first choice now has a different job). Promises don't pay the bills though.

I like this job except the money is really bad ($25k a year). The people are nice, I've learned a lot. I don't want to answer the phone anymore (at least not, you know, primarily)

Promises are free and finding decent people to work for 25k a year is harder you might think.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

Yes, but that doesn't mean that you have better options.

If you live in a place with no better options then move to a place with better options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0q4o58pKwA

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

evol262 posted:

Heads up: if you're not a pro, it doesn't belong. Including Linux. Because if you're not a "pro", you probably don't have "working knowledge". It's possible, but very unlikely. It's not 2004. I can find people with professional Linux experience pretty easily.

This is terrible advice and you should never give this out again.

The whole point of a resume is to sell yourself to employers. It should be for all experience and training that is relevant to the type of job you are applying for. If you leave out everything except you are a "pro" in you are most likely selling yourself short by a lot and you can believe the other people in the resume pile aren't. This is especially critical for people early in their careers.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 30, 2014

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

[sic] not keeping linkedIn up-to-date [/sic]

Eh, some employers have prying eyes so I keep it down to a minimum. I had a very bad experience with this once upon a time.

Though, what's shocking to me is that it's better for employers to find someone that's already doing what they need as opposed to training someone internally?

World's a changin' I suppose

Its been that way for a long time.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

NippleFloss posted:

Hiring a new employee is expensive and carries some risk so employers generally want to make sure they get the right people. It can also be tough to get the whole team together for long enough for an in depth technical interview so they generally want to make sure that anyone that makes it that far is a legitimate candidate, which means a few screenings.

Consider that however much of your time you feel is being wasted they are wasting even more man hours to determine if you are a good fit for them. And you should be glad that they are thorough as neither side wants buyers/sellers remorse after being hired.

Google studied their own internal hiring practices pretty extensively and found that the sweet spot was around 4 interviews, but that may not hold true for every position or company. But at least one recruiter screen, one personal screen with the hiring manager, one technical screen with a technical person, and a face to face with the whole group is pretty reasonable.

4 interviews is a tad much and is a big of time investment to be asked of an applicant to make. The job would have to be incredible for me to agree to such a thing.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Chalets the Baka posted:

In WSUS is there a way to patch and reboot systems in waves, so not all of my systems are going down at the same time?

There is a random delay set to each client which you an modify in group policy, not actually in wsus.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Can't you just section out how WSUS updates clients? Then again this assumes you are doing a proper OU/AD/WSUS infrastructure.

You can state which updates are approved for what groupings but no, it's not defined by wsus. Wsus configuration is basically for the downloading and approval of updates. Everything else is client settings through gpo which you can split up and define by ou.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Contingency posted:

I got burned once because I didn't bring wallet cards to an interview, but that was probably a special case of stupid.

How could that burn you? Did the interviewer not want to take the few moments it would take to look yours up?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Drunk Orc posted:

Is it acceptable to negotiate wages after you've been offered a contract? In this specific case I was never explicitly told what the exact rate would be, only a range. I won't be able to review/accept/decline my contract until Monday when HR is back in the office, but I don't want to lose the job or lowball myself when I could've gotten a couple extra dollars.

Yes. My opinion is that you haven't actually been offered a contact until you have agreed on the wage.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

So how much of a trap do you think this job would be?

quote:

Dev Ops Systems Engineer

Responsibilities:
The main responsibilities for this candidate will be to create a rock solid and flexible infrastructure to support our growing Internet-facing and in-studio applications. You'll be comfortable using automation to deploy web applications in a virtualized environment, and you'll be familiar with other portions of the system stack including nginx, apache, memcache, MySQL, and redis. You'll think automation first and manual second. A successful candidate will need to possess discipline to build platforms and services that will live on for a long time. This individual must be comfortable in a team environment and be willing to handle IT tasks from top to bottom (you'll build up our online presence and run the cabling to do it). The candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to complete tasks without a great deal of hand-holding. This position will require you to carry a mobile device and participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation.
Qualifications:
Bachelor¹s degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent training and professional experience
A strong foundation in systems administration/DevOps
Proven experience with Linux, including command line tools and common applications, and at least one scripting language (bash, Perl, Python)
Deployment and support experience with applications in a cloud environment, such as Amazon Web Services
Comfort with configuration and deployment tools such as Puppet, Chef, and Capistrano, and the depth of Ruby/Rails knowledge to develop within these tools
Familiarity with Perforce, Git, or similar versioning software
Hands-on, “get it done” attitude
Work well as part of a team in a fun, fast-paced environment
Bonus points for having knowledge or skills in the following technologies:
Monitoring (Zenoss, Nagios, or similar)
Databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, RDS, NoSQL databases)
Messaging and Queuing (ActiveMQ or RabbitMQ)
TCP/IP networking
PHP or Java
C or C++
Consumption or development of RESTful services and APIs
What you might work on:
Building systems and applications that work in the cloud
Building systems and applications that live on indefinitely
Building tools to support a variety of endeavors
Automation
Big Data: Hadoop, Analytics, Visualization
Influencing the tools you use, the languages you work on
Using an API or RESTful service to add features to existing system

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Employers can say whatever the hell they want about a previous employee they just often don't because it could end up it court and usually will only confirm job title and duration. I'd imagine if you were a that awful of a employee they'd have no problem telling everyone else about it.

A lot of employers ask for W-2 as a means of confirming your past jobs but I know a few people that have flat out refused to give them over and they'll got hired.

I haven't had a single employer ask for a w2. I wouldn't do it unless something was amazing.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Do it in the military!

Edit: I meant an IT job but I guess you could do either/both there. But yeah it helped me lock in years of Windows Admin experience with no risk of being laid off.

This is a terrible idea on so many levels. Flip burgers before you do this.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

Military (former?) goon spotted.

Former. The level of luck I had when I was placed would make you vomit and I still learned without a doubt that the answer is never to join the military.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone read about the technical-side of the Sony hack?

Was their IT Department terribly run and cut too many corners when they shouldn't have or was this something amazing like Stuxnet?

I did read something about text files with passwords so I assume it wasn't really mission impossible stuff.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

If a CCIE recommended running DHCP on any network device in an enterprise network, I'd promptly show him the door. I'd probably do the same for any "network" person who recommended it. There are better tools to get the job done.

As silly as the advice was lets try not to go off the deep end. Showing someone the door for this seems kind of... petty?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

It's the typical "when all you got is a hammer, everything is a nail" syndrome. Failure to think outside the box.

Or you could take a few minutes out of your busy day to be less of a robot and talk to the person about what a better solution would be. Even with the long list of things that I would probably fire someone over DHCP just doesn't seem to move the needle for me.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

No, whenever someone has a different approach to an issue, I immediately think of ways to terminate them

Beep bop boop, error, resource did not return expected answer. Terminating resource.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

skipdogg posted:

What is it with everyone wanting to be an IT Security penetration tester?

It sounds really cool. Its also easier and more rewarding to tell people what is broken more so than fixing it with realistic goals in mind.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

mewse posted:

I thought this kind of mischief died in the 80s

I thing I find to be a head scratcher is how you even get caught doing it?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Nagios sucks, but what else is out there to look at? Mostly free stuff, or something based off nagios... Someone once suggested OpsView but it looks more like a commercial product now. If its really good may be worth it.
All these shell scripts all over the place are annoying. I liked how 2 companies ago they just used SNMP and it was relatively easy to set up. One guy went with NRPE which looks like a pain in the rear end. The nagios interface and configuration file structure pretty much blows, and custom plugins everywhere you never know if it is reporting things right. One of them we had was supposed to connect to a service and it was checking for a specific string for when it was down. But it was responding with a 500 or something like that it would just say its fine. A basic HTTP check would have done a better job.

Honestly everything I found that I liked wasn't free (shocker). Might be a good time to make a budget for monitoring because its honestly a very important part of the infrastructure.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Last week our vCenter server's C:\ drive needed to be extended (it's virtualized), so they went ahead and did it, but something went wrong and caused it to crash and bring down our entire virtual infrastructure. For most places that would be horrifying and a Resume Generating Event for the person who did it, but we managed to bring ALL email for the USAF down and, according to quite a few flag officers, seriously endanger national security. It took a few hours to get everything back up and running, and they were still cleaning things up over the weekend. Since I was off until Saturday evening I didn't even hear about it until someone started talking about how much of a bitch it was, and how the phones just blew up. Not sure if we have an opening on our Virtualization team now - I should probably start asking around.

Of course, last night into this morning things were also a pain - someone at INOSC East decided to gently caress around with the routers and prevented people across the AF who were off-base from being able to access email through OWA or connect via VPN. We kept telling ESD over and over that it was a Boundary issue and that email was working just fine, but they still kept giving users our phone number to call, and tickets that ESD created and sent to us were forwarded to Boundary, who didn't even look at them before bouncing them back. INOSC East Crew Commanders were totally unimpressed with our argument that if people who were on-base were able to get their email, and people who were off-base couldn't, then just maybe the problem was with the interface (i.e. routers), which they just so conveniently happened to control and, also conveniently, happened to have made changes to.

I'm curious to see what happened after I left this morning. As a side note, rumor has it that our contract is going to get extended for a year because the organizational changes made didn't quite produce the results the USAF had been expecting, and our detachment is mostly the reason why things haven't completely degenerated into mass chaos. They still want to kill us off, but the officers also want their promotions, so they're thinking about giving us a stay of execution (they've been trying to get rid of the detachment since 2006, but each time the hammer is about to fall someone gets a dose of common sense).

I don't understand how a vcenter server could bring down the entire infrastructure. Are you sure it was the vcenter server?

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

If you lose vcenter, don't you also lose SSO and HA?

Unless I am really hosed up in my understanding of vcenter, no it shouldn't. The vmware HA agents on each host in the cluster wouldn't do anything by seeing a vcenter server go offline and would work how they were last configured in HA situations.

I have never heard of a situation where you take your vcenter server offline (patching, reboots, whatever) and fear your all your vm's are suddenly not going to work.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 14, 2015

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I work in a university that uses Infoblox. Devices have to have their MAC addresses registered to receive an IP address from DHCP, so part of the process for a new machine is that we look up the MAC address and add them in prior to imaging them.

Is this unusual? I kinda thought most places had a whitelist structure, but again, pretty new.

Although I somewhat admire the security put in place that has to be extremely inconvenient and someone is being a little lazy in your administration.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

[quote="Tab8715" post="440219490"]
I'm a little perplexed too, afaik HA would fail. Did someone try to use it while vcenter was down?

How would HA even fail in that scenario? The HA agent exist on each host and they don't suddenly lose their config because vcenter isn't around.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm just telling you what the 1st shift team lead told us about the previous day. Everything was down for over 4 hours while they scrambled to put poo poo right, and he just wanted to let us know the day after in case there were any aftershocks.

If I were a betting man I would wager that our new Virtualization guy did something that started a chain of events that brought the entire infrastructure to its knees, but because he's the only person who has complete access and control over it could say whatever the hell he wanted and no one would be able to gainsay him without a detailed examination by someone with equal access and superior skill. Since there isn't anyone at our location who does, the point is moot.

I weep for our government. These are basic vmware administrator skills that anyone would learn in the first 6 months of working anywhere with a vmware cluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

psydude posted:

Not anymore after Snowden and the Navy Yard. They're actually interviewing for secret clearances now, and my TS/SCI interview that I just had this morning lasted 2 hours.

I was interviewed for mine in 2003. Maybe they got lax in that timeframe.